Clio saved. A happy ending

D Spares & Tyres

This looks ideal! PM inbound :)

PM replied.  You have first refusal :-D

I also have a parcel shelf, dunno why but it was in the attic when we scrapped the car that gave up the headlight lens and mirror. It's in SE London and so may or may not be more usefully situated than Shropshire. I do not however have any interior lights. Come to think of it, I'll be going up the A1 as far as Middlesbrough on the afternoon of 31st Oct if anyone wants to come and meet me for it.

Anyway well done indeed BeEP, I'm very glad that randomly hoarding those parts for years turned out to be an entirely sensible move :) .

Thanks once again Rave for the parts.  The offer of the parcel shelf may still be useful; I'll get back to you before the 31st if anything can be sorted out.

Interesting; thanks for that. If anyone can get them to Longbridge, Birmingham in the next 10 days I will be there on 4th Nov and I'm sure my host will babysit them. Of course, it would be nice to think it will have sold by then!

Where in Shropshire?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

So Angrydicky is planning to view this on Saturday, and another noteworthy shiter has second dibs if for any reason AD decides against.

Re the parcel shelf and interior light, at £8 for Hermes it doesn't make sense organising complicated relays (to me at least),  Probably best that I leave it to the buiyer to deal directly with D Spares assuming they are wanted.

Angrydicky toddled off into the sunset pouring rain in the Clio about an hour ago :-D  No photos due to inclement weather and my general rubbishness.

Job done though, and I hope AD gets a winter's reliable motoring (and more) from it,

Proceeds wisely* re-invested in a Volvo V70 T5 with borked heater matrix.  Thread to follow when I've dragged it from my local garage's forecourt.

Many thanks to BeEp for being a top bloke and a GR8 seller, wud use again.

Had an easy drive down through Norfolk in 'Nicole' the newest car I've ever owned.

Feels very good on the road with no untoward noises (though the lack of temperature gauge is somewhat disconcerting). The brakes felt a bit wooden to start with but got better with use.

I've cleaned the interior and door shuts and got it better still. There's no major rust anywhere which I am pleased about.

In my eyes the Mk1 Clio is one of the last of the nicely styled small cars before they became blobby and fugly.

Here she is in her new home:

post-3865-0-04972300-1540657626_thumb.jpg

What a heartening little thread.

This car came so close to bring weighed in! If you look closely at the first picture of it on this thread, you will notice there is already a washing machine in the back of it.

By the way, the wheel trims were not in the car when I got it. They are from a Renault 11 that got weighed in around 20 years ago. Had kept them all this time, having never had a home for them. Despite their aftermarket appearance they are genuine Renault ones, albeit 10 years older than the car they are now on.

Yes, Peter said they were from a 9 or 11. I'm not even sure what the correct ones look like, though these ones suit it perfectly so will be staying :)

It would be nice to get hold of the parcel shelf and interior light (which appears to have been removed to attempt to replace the broken ariel). I can get free carriage through work so would just need someone to chuck them in a box, and I can send a parcel label.

Have also got a decent JVC CD player promised to me (the radio in the Clio is missing) by my sister who is upgrading to an AUX type in her car.

It's very dark and very wet outside now but little Nicole is tucked up in the dry. Warms the old heartstrings!

It would have been a terrible waste for it to get scrapped - there's a big wodge of bills and service history from the previous long term owner who took the car to the same garage every year, and by the look of it, just paid to have everything sorted out that they advised needed doing. The only thing neglected it seems was the cambelt. There's a receipt in 2014 for the car being recovered back to her garage, the top end of the engine rebuilt (with new valves and seals etc) then new cambelt and pump. This bill alone was over £500. She obviously liked the car!

post-3865-0-56317800-1540749016_thumb.jpg

Today, Nicole met some of the family at a fleet wash.

Gave the underside a good hosing and managed to get a few more lbs of Welsh border mud out of the wheelarches and inner wings. Also topped up the oil as it was on the minimum mark. Took about a litre of finest Tesco 10w40.

Got it insured as well, just got to wait until Thursday before taxing it so I don't lose a month's tax.

Did a bit of cleaning under the bonnet too, didn't go mad with it but I did notice a couple of bits that need attention. There is a wire that holds the (forward hinged) bonnet open, this has snapped and someone's replaced it with a well-positioned cable tie. This has broken as well, so I'll see if I can find some suitable wire to make a better repair.

Secondly, the radiator is shaped like a banana after the accident! Amazingly, it doesn't appear to be leaking coolant.

Its got red OAT antifreeze in the cooling system, is this correct?

I also discovered, this evening, that not only does it demist far better than any car I've owned before (unsurprising really) but it has a little alarm to let you know you've left the headlights on. Which still works :)

First 250 miles down. Went to Dereham and back today, not far away from the destination, got a big thumbs up from a chap standing at the side of the road in a hi-vis jacket, a shiter or perhaps a former MK1 owner?

Only problem that has appeared is that the steering is creaking loudly when turning the wheel. Any ideas? Probably going to get it up on the ramps next weekend for a good look over the underside, I can order any parts needed cheaply, another good point of this little car!

There's something else missing from the inside in addition to the radio, and the interior light. In front of the gear lever (just to the right of the 12v socket) there's a small slot with a multiplug sticking out.

Also, can anyone tell me if it has intermittent wipers? I can't find any switch for them. It should have a single wipe but the wipers don't currently self park (may just be a fuse, I haven't investigated yet)

First 250 miles down. Went to Dereham and back today, not far away from the destination, got a big thumbs up from a chap standing at the side of the road in a hi-vis jacket, a shiter or perhaps a former MK1 owner?

Only problem that has appeared is that the steering is creaking loudly when turning the wheel. Any ideas? Probably going to get it up on the ramps next weekend for a good look over the underside, I can order any parts needed cheaply, another good point of this little car!

There's something else missing from the inside in addition to the radio, and the interior light. In front of the gear lever (just to the right of the 12v socket) there's a small slot with a multiplug sticking out.

Also, can anyone tell me if it has intermittent wipers? I can't find any switch for them. It should have a single wipe but the wipers don't currently self park (may just be a fuse, I haven't investigated yet)

On both my MK1 Clios the button to the right of the 12v was a central locking activation button. I don't think the early basic ones had it, but I would be surprised if the facelift models didn't. 

On both my MK1 Clios the button to the right of the 12v was a central locking activation button. I don't think the early basic ones had it, but I would be surprised if the facelift models didn't. 

Ah that would explain it, thanks! This base model doesn't have central locking, or at least if it does, it doesn't work. I suspect that part of the loom was just hidden behind a blanking plug that's been levered out.

Great little cars those. I remember in Belgium they were everwhere. Never really on my radar until now though.

I found a Youtube vid of someone (Pterolblog, from here maybe???) Talking about a Mk1 Clio Baccara they bought: (BEWARE: video includes a £100 Laguna)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=riIfsE8VwlE

I've just read through this thread from start to finish, and the story's substantially more gripping than about 90% of the films I've watched this year...

Top shiting! Delighted to see such a happy conclusion to this tale for all concerned. Fair warms the cockles of even my black, wizened heart.