Clio saved. A happy ending

D Spares & Tyres

Thanks for the title change Tom.  I suspect I'll be rubbish at updating a project thread though! To be honest there isn't much to be done now pre-MOT.  I've bodged the Metro mirror on this evening; it looks stupid but should keep the MOT man happy.  Only one extra hole needed which will be hidden if/when I fit a proper one.

The mirror previously held on with angle brackets in the earlier photos had got knocked off sometime over the past few weeks, and the nearside headlight shed its lens on the journey to Norfolk.  I don't want to spend money until I know how badly it fails the MOT, so I'm hoping to bodge a Metro mirror on and that The Old Bloke Next Door will find a headlight when he returns from holiday.  However, if anyone else has either I'd be happy to hear from them.

It does seem solid underneath, although I need to give it another session with the pressure washer to get the rest of the mud off.  If and when an MOT is obtained it will go up for sale or cheap roffle; I'm not really expecting to make anything out of it!

I have both, I will try and dig them out first thing tomorrow. Yours for the cost of postage and a free ticket for me if it roffles :) . Don't suppose Parcels2Go or the like will be much, a tenner maybe.

I have both, I will try and dig them out first thing tomorrow. Yours for the cost of postage and a free ticket for me if it roffles :) . Don't suppose Parcels2Go or the like will be much, a tenner maybe.

Thanks, that would be great!  Just double-checking they are both for ph2 as Renault seemed to change everything with each facelift.  PM me payment details when you're ready.

Definitely a free ticket for you if it roffles :-)

They definitely came off a curvy headlight model (I always thought they were called a Ph3?), ours was a P-reg. Digging them out will have to wait until tonight now, sorry, other life getting in the way! Do you want the whole headlight unit or just the glass?

They definitely came off a curvy headlight model (I always thought they were called a Ph3?), ours was a P-reg. Digging them out will have to wait until tonight now, sorry, other life getting in the way! Do you want the whole headlight unit or just the glass?

I admit to not knowing a lot about Clios, but I thought it was Ph1 (93-96), Ph2 (96-98), and Ph3 (98-01).  I'm probably wrong but in any case if yours was a P reg it should be correct!  It's only the glass that is missing, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a separate part.  If you're ok with letting me have the whole headlight it keeps my options open.

No rush to dig them out today; I won't MOT it until the V5 turns up (done that before and watched 6 weeks tick off the MOT before it arrived).

That's more like it. That was a genuinely nice little car before the previous owner had it. He only had it about 6 months too!

Some of these can be an arse to get through emissions iirc. I got one through a few years back after a fail. I put some Shell V power in it with some injector cleaner, ragged the shit out of it and got it tested hot and it passed.

That's more like it. That was a genuinely nice little car before the previous owner had it. He only had it about 6 months too!

Some of these can be an arse to get through emissions iirc. I got one through a few years back after a fail. I put some Shell V power in it with some injector cleaner, ragged the shit out of it and got it tested hot and it passed.

Given the MOT expired in April he got an awful lot of muck in/on it in a very short time!  Previous owner had it since 2008 and a cursory look through the history shows she had it serviced every year.

Thanks for the tip re emissions; my Mk1 Punto was also a pain in this respect when I had it tested a couple of weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

With many thanks to Rave for supplying  a mirror and headlight lens, the Clio now looks like this...

post-17876-0-93206300-1538684761_thumb.jpg

Yes, replacing the smashed number plate seems daft, but it's less conspicuous than nothing at all and I don't want to waste money before knowing what the MOT finds.

Other jobs attended to: brake light bulb, battery clamp improvised ane exhaust blow sorted,  It seems the exhaust is designed to have no support from the front to just in front of the rear box, so not surprising it ends up hanging low where it turns onto the lateral section between the boxes.  The blow was from the join on this lateral bit, and an extra hanger has been improvised using a handily placed petrol tank bolt directly above it (obviously with a rubber hanger; I haven't bolted it directly to the tank!).

Nothing more to do until the MOT now, which is booked for the 23rd as I wanted to make sure I have some free time after it to fix any issues within the free re-test period.

• 3 weeks later...

And.........it passed!

Advisories for front tyres and slight play in one inner rack joint.  Number plate to be replaced this afternoon.

I'm only looking to get my money back (on here at least; if not wanted by a shiter I'll try to make a small profit elsewhere) so now for sale at £220 to a shiter, or possible roffle at £3.80 per ticket (with Rave getting a freebie).  I'll see if D Spares can update the thread title again.

Only things not covered already in this thread I think are it's missing an interior light (wiring present) and parcel shelf.  MOT tester couldn't believe how solid it is.

The pictures in my earlier posts show its current condition, but I'll take some of the rust blebs on the rear arch later.

I still can’t see the biff to the nose!

It's definitely there!  The bumper has been cracked and mended and the metal bar behind the gap between bumper and bonnet has been bent back and damaged a few of the radiator fins although it's still watertight.  It's not really that noticeable though and probably isn't significant on a £220 car,

I think I love it.

Come and get it then; I'm not that far from you :-D

I'll take some more photos tomorrow and write a more cohesive for sale post.

Apparently one of the previous owners of this little car still has the parcel shelf and interior light! Pity Mr Spares wasn't privy to that knowledge when it left Shropshire. It's up for grabs if anyone can figure out the logistics.

Interesting; thanks for that.  If anyone can get them to Longbridge, Birmingham in the next 10 days I will be there on 4th Nov and I'm sure my host will babysit them.  Of course, it would be nice to think it will have sold by then!

Haha, doesn't this fail to meet about half of your criteria :-)

Yep! As I said before, I don't generally like French cars of this era but for some reason I have a soft spot for the BX (which is really an '80s car anyway) and the MK1 Clio. I think they've aged very well, and look much better than the Saxo/106 in my eyes.

The lack of PAS isn't a major issue (though I would have preferred power steering) but this is cheap and local. Plus it's being sold by a 'shiter of top credentials, rather than a lying ebay shyster. I haven't got the time to go farting around the country looking at scrap described in glowing terms, and this looks decent for what it is.

Some slight Clio related nostalgia.

Between the ages of 17 and 18 (2008-9) I was in 6th form, and there weren't many people in my year who had passed their test. Lost in the fairly large 6th form carpark were usually parked:

Ford Fiesta MK4 - R441 KJK

Vauxhall Corsa B - T541 TMR

Renault Clio - P79 OJN

Austin A35 - 640 TMP

Guess which one was mine :P

The Clio was owned by a chap called Dan. He'd inherited it from a family member and it only had 17k on the clock. Godrey Davis Southend plates and sticker, original trimz etc. At the time there were a few P-OJN Clios knocking around locally, including one that was only a few numbers away. It was the same colour as this one but 3 doors IIRC. He crashed it and rebuilt the front end using parts from a scrapyard (in a kind of light metallic purple). It always seemed reliable though. I imagine it's dead now, though I did look it up a couple of years later and it was still on the road then.

As far as I'm aware, only one of the above cars still exists - and it's not a Corsa either. That one was rear ended big time and written off. I think the Fiesta probably died of rust.

I also have a parcel shelf, dunno why but it was in the attic when we scrapped the car that gave up the headlight lens and mirror. It's in SE London and so may or may not be more usefully situated than Shropshire. I do not however have any interior lights. Come to think of it, I'll be going up the A1 as far as Middlesbrough on the afternoon of 31st Oct if anyone wants to come and meet me for it.

Anyway well done indeed BeEP, I'm very glad that randomly hoarding those parts for years turned out to be an entirely sensible move :) .