Clio saved. A happy ending

D Spares & Tyres

I have this Clio I was going to weigh in but I would like to save it, despite having quite a bit of scrap I'd like to put in it.

Seems a shame though, it's not a bad little car but I'm not putting any effort into getting it tested then having to deal with penniless mouth breathers so if none of you lot want it for bridge money then I shall be getting bridge money. From the bridge.

I can't keep it too long, the French Quarter is already overpopulated.

post-19511-0-45979300-1534432687_thumb.jpg

It's done 97,000 and doesn't appear to have any rot. Sweet little engine. Exhaust hanging a bit low and has a slight blow.post-19511-0-11777600-1534432776_thumb.jpg

Body generally tidish. I reckon it's lasted better than Nicole has. Some rust thoughpost-19511-0-13679900-1534432879_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-81068900-1534432917_thumb.jpg

Interior ok apart from a hole in drivers side bolster. Pattern designed by a toddler with a felt tippost-19511-0-62228800-1534432990_thumb.jpg

Mirror is not to factory specificationspost-19511-0-88955100-1534433081_thumb.jpg

The previous owner kept the battery ( these are worth a fortune now apparently...) I have one I can give you but it needs the fixing to hold it in place or a modification.post-19511-0-81453700-1534433278_thumb.jpg

It has sustained a small bump to the front. It hit something with a towbar hence the plate being broken and the bumper being misaligned in one side.post-19511-0-41863400-1534433383_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-02311800-1534433412_thumb.jpg

Some damage in the drivers door. I was told it has been broken into but I'm not sure. That looks like a messy way to get into a Clio!

So there it is. It is a pleasant little car, It would be sad for it to have lasted this long only to be thrown away. £120 to a shiter?post-19511-0-95859200-1534433577_thumb.jpg

Could deliver but I see no reason why it would not drive anywhere.

Ludlow, Shropspost-19511-0-20062100-1534433680_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-20062100-1534433680_thumb.jpgpost-19511-0-20062100-1534433680_thumb.jpg

These really are very good cars, one of the last reliable Renault models.

I have a large amount of spare parts free of charge if anyone takes it on.

http://autoshite.com/topic/26526-reacquired-shite/

I've got an exhaust centre section (nearly new), both mirrors, and various other bits as well. I think you can get the adaptors for the battery terminals easily enough, ask Bramz as he put a new battery on mine before he sold it to me :) .

It’s been a long time since I’ve had anything to do with these but didn’t they have a battery with posts that some set screws went into?

It's been a while since I've been near a Mk1 Clio, I think the battery terminals are conventional but the positive and possibly negative terminals have plastic screw fixings that clamp on to battery terminal adapters.

Are batteries really worth that much? I noticed all the stuff on the eBay tat thread with "battery removed", even some fairly expensive project cars.

Are batteries really worth that much? I noticed all the stuff on the eBay tat thread with "battery removed", even some fairly expensive project cars.

No,a small battery like the one this would have had is a fiver in scrap at most. I was being sarcastic. It does seem to be a thing to keep the batteries though

It’s been a long time since I’ve had anything to do with these but didn’t they have a battery with posts that some set screws went into?

There is a collar that goes over the terminal with a threaded top. When the connection is screwed into it then it tightens up the grip. Quite common in French stuff of this era

There is a collar that goes over the terminal with a threaded top. When the connection is screwed into it then it tightens up the grip. Quite common in French stuff of this era

Didn’t know Renaults used those too, seen them on PSA stuff

Pretty sure you can buy the parts for it too but changing the terminals would also be easy

Looks like a decent motor for someone with a little tinkering. An I bet that will go through a Mot without much hassle as the online history looks good too.

I drove one years ago and it seamed a pleasant motor just like my old Renault 19's. Sadly I'm in the lack of spare funds / space category but if I get some cash injection I'd be well up for having this as a winter daily / second car. 

Hope it gets saved. 

From memory, front windscreen, badly damaged rear hatch with intact window, bonnet, full set of locks/two keys, gearbox, front passenger seat, same colour and trim in good condition, rear seat, newish front brake discs, calipers, pads and stub axle wheel bearing assembly, empty petrol tank, one headlight, most of the dash assembly, drive shafts, keep fit steering rack, both front wings, front bumper, newish oe spec rear shocks, front suspension legs, rear light units, both door mirrors, pair of two door driver and passenger doors, part exhaust system, coolant expansion tank.

Probably some other parts I've forgotten about, will have a look next time I visit my unit. 

All of the above and anything else I find are free. No particular rush to collect within reason.

Also have four newish tyres on steel rims, bought about mid 2016, 165 70 r 13, although these will be £40 as they are same size as fitted to my Fiesta.

Which crack when overtightened,allowing things like the electric power steering to cut in and out and help the power cables get a tad warm....

At the moment the spares are scattered around my Unit out of my way.

Probably take me a couple of weeks to have all the parts together ready for collection.

Once I've done that they will be in my way and would need them collected sooner rather than later. 

Will need a Transit size van or large trailer  to remove all of them.

Location Hednesford WS 12 area. I am unavailable every Friday and Saturday,

I am available Sunday to Thursday inclusive any time between 0800 to 1900 and can assist with loading.

Scrapyards won’t usually buy batteries when it’s just the odd one your bringing in. They won’t fuck about writing cheques for a fiver or so. It’s not the sort of trade they want, buying 10-15 of them a time is worth your time, not Joe Bloggs coming in like he’s got the Brinks Matt Gold wanting to know what you’ll offer him on a leaking 12v battery.

My local were happy enough pinging 60-odd quid straight onto my card when I turned up with a heavy old arc welder, a couple of batteries, and 3 quid's worth of scrap steel. But I suppose I'd better see if I can grub up a bit more before I go back. I've found a few batteries on the street since then, but annoyingly the drop tester I bought with a view to condemning them reckons they're all sort of serviceable, so I'm torn about weighing them in.