LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Has the seller got back to you yet?

Seems to be the modern way that things go up for sale and the person selling it vanishes.....

sadly not, I wonder if it would be any good if busmansholiday gave the seller a call on my behalf so to speak?

(assuming of course busmansholiday wants to get that involved I hope im not taking the piss by suggesting the above!)

sadly not, I wonder if it would be any good if busmansholiday gave the seller a call on my behalf so to speak?

(assuming of course busmansholiday wants to get that involved I hope im not taking the piss by suggesting the above!)

I'd say put this on the backburner, try and sort out the logistics of transportation, storage and insurance mean time. Then you'll be fully prepared either for this or when another finally comes up.

If this is still for sale once there's some firm plans in place, maybe try again.... If it sells, so be it, you tried, the seller hasn't co-operated.

The seller is likely thinking you're very keen on it and if he can find someone else who is keen (and i know there's a boy in Paisley also on the hunt for one, has been posting wanted ads on and off on Gumtree for months) then he might be able to play you off against each other. You've already basically told him what your top price is, if he has another potential buyer, all he basically has to say is that he already has a firm offer on the table from you and wants x for it.... likely bang, he's probably got an offer of 1k+ heading his way to try and secure it. (and i bet if he did, he'd be straight back in touch seeing if you'd be able to beat that...)

If he doesn't find a buyer between now and then though, you're in a much stronger position if you can get contact later down the line, it won't have shifted and he'll likely be way more open to taking what he knows 100% he can get for it rather than now, where he's living in hope of a bidding war that might never come, so in no rush.

yeah :)

BTW the guy on gumtree is Fraser, he already owns a Model 70, infact the very last Invacar Model 70 off the production line, VES108S :)

so im not entirely sure what the wanted adverts are for, maybe he just wants multiple Model 70s? although I fear that he wants to buy them, and then sell them at a profit to the microcar guys etc

(he has owned at least 4 other Model 70s in the past JPA268N, TTW991R, RRE20L and "1LEG" )

That Fraser guy seems desperate to get his hands on anything or get any info for somewhere he can... so sadly, he's definitely a "competitor" for any invacar that comes up, regardless of his intentions with them.

I can almost 100% bet that if he hasn't already been in touch via car and classics, the boy selling the model 70, in researching its value has seen the wanted ad and been in touch with Fraser and virtually said show me the money to him.

...the market for these cars must be well niche, tho these invacars? - its not a vehicle that you can really enjoy with your better half riding alongside you; no room for that... I suppose with the coined up collector, where the invacar just sits in their shed that's not really an issue...

there seems - at the moment (from an outsiders point) to be a peak in the interest in these cars at the moment (don't blame/do blame DW- up to you!!), and lots of interest n research into when they were made available and when they were culled n scrapped n the mobility scheme replaced them...; preseumably someone has looked into production numbers?

I grew up in cavan; rep' of Ireland - in a small village; and I remember 3 or more of these Invacars on the road when I was a kid; nothing else sounded like them- so they were probably available to the disabled here also; Id wager theres more 'out there', still than is currently thought...

...Im 43 now, and have seen these  'this will be last chance,,, before they've all gone' fever's to buy and prices go astronomical accordingly; but things always settle down after that wave n said vehicles appear outta sheds afterwards; its usually the owners being told "that's worth a huge amount of coin" - but they are being told that about 2 or 3 years after the pinnacle of the graph....

good thing I dont have a better half  :mrgreen: but yeah that sadly seems to be the case from what iv seen, most are just bought to sit around and get dragged around to shows

a lot of that interest and research has happened by me right in this very thread if you feel like reading through 30 pages worth of invacar content :)

sadly I dont know production figures on Model 70s, its a question iv been meaning to ask stuart, but I have a lot of questions id like to ask stuart, and I know he pretty much spent 15 years as the invacar Q&A guy and is rather sick of it all sadly, so im taking my steps tentatively

I just know that there are apparently 79 known surviving Model 70s (well was 78, but then this one CnC showed up  :mrgreen: ) and im slowly building up my own Model 70 survivors list on Page 26 for those curious about it all :)

(also updated said list with some more statistics, out of the 31 documented, 13 are ACs and 18 are Invacars, with RPF 19R coming back as an AC but someone stuck an invacar badge on the front?)

interesting to hear they had invacars in Ireland, where those privately owned examples or did the health service over there have their own invacar program like the NHS/DHSS?

Re your questions about invacars used as film props, they would probably be sourced from wherever the government program disposed of them to if they were accident damaged or beyond reconditioning for further use in the program.

Also BBC is tax payer funded so not impossible that they would just have given them a few if asked.

If you did get one I would register it with as many companies that provide props for film use as possible, even a few days hire should cover most of your purchase costs.

One thing never to do is to say "I'm ringing on behalf of...." because the first thing that comes into the other person's mind is 'why cannot the ......... ring himself'.

You've been in touch a couple of times, perhaps he works shifts or is on his hols or can only get to it at weekends (we know it's not at his house). I'd leave contact till next week. If you look at his other vehicles, it doesn't look like he's in a hurry to sell, are you really going to get 3 grand for a Riley Elf that the subframes fucked on?

I'd say hold your nerve, he knows your interested, he's waiting to see if there are others, then, as previously said, he'll be playing one off against the other.

One thing never to do is to say "I'm ringing on behalf of...." because the first thing that comes into the other person's mind is 'why cannot the ......... ring himself'.

You've been in touch a couple of times, perhaps he works shifts or is on his hols or can only get to it at weekends (we know it's not at his house). I'd leave contact till next week. If you look at his other vehicles, it doesn't look like he's in a hurry to sell, are you really going to get 3 grand for a Riley Elf that the subframes fucked on?

I'd say hold your nerve, he knows your interested, he's waiting to see if there are others, then, as previously said, he'll be playing one off against the other.

Cool, thanks for the advice :) 

ill hold off for now then and keep yall posted if he does make contact in the meantime :)

What if the seller has discovered autoshite?!? That could go both ways!

I dont if this is the case for others, or just me because google etc

but I did notice if you search for Invacar or Invacar Model 70 etc, on google then click on images, you will see some images from this thread, so theres a chance he might of discovered autoshite that way

(or anyone else looking for invacar info for that matter :) )

Havent read the thread in its entirety (soz) but have you just emailed or sent text messages? If so he may appreciate a phone call and a chat in person.

If he is being a bit evasive it's possible he's hedging his bets and hoping for a better offer elsewhere and is playing you to see if that happens.

Havent read the thread in its entirety (soz) but have you just emailed or sent text messages? If so he may appreciate a phone call and a chat in person.

If he is being a bit evasive it's possible he's hedging his bets and hoping for a better offer elsewhere and is playing you to see if that happens.

what you mean to tell me that not everyone wants to read through 30+ pages of pure invacar?  :mrgreen: (although as per the title, start from page 28 if you just want the details on the current goings on)

i did talk to him on the phone once, otherwise its been text messages that he has not really responded too

interesting thats a new guy on the block, the Photo however is of Big Als Mk12/Model 67 stash  :)

googling the phone number in the gumtree advert makes this twitter account pop up https://twitter.com/trottervan1

so make of that what you will (yet more competition sadly...)

so make of that what you will (yet more competition sadly...)

I wouldn't lose heart. Prices may always have been a bit up and down as interest peaks and wanes.

The "field cars" sold for £100 each just over a year ago, while this one sold in 2014 for $4,400 (perhaps already exported to the US), looks in very good nick. I love the DHSS windscreen sticker.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf14/hershey/lots/r184-1975-ac-invacar/181997

Personally when I'm floggin' a car I prefer all correspondence conducted via phone rather than text. A call to me says 'genuine interest'...

it basically went like this

I gave him a call, got no answer so I sent the number a text message, he than eventually calls back

where we talked a bit, and I ask if he could email me some more pictures, to which he agreed to doing, (where he then read out my first text message to find my email address) then I say thanks and we end the call

then thats where everything goes cold and he never got back to me via email or text....

small update from stuart on the Q plate thing

he thinks thats a Mk12 Chassis number indeed, and that knows of 2 other Model 70s that where passed off as older models in the late 90s/early 2000s, but its original Model 70 chassis number should still be on the Suspension top mount :)

Also, here is a Dingwall - made by Dingwall and Sons - they were based in Derby Road (no longer exists?) in Dalston - so potentially very close to where you live LBF! Villiers powered. Expect these might feature in Stuart's book.

http://ourclassiccars.co.uk/dingwall-invalid-tricycle/

Dingwall-03-1024x768.jpg

haha yeah :)

(by all means post away its very cool :) )

post-25614-0-73110900-1552065302_thumb.jpg

I just got a wealth of information from stuart and then in the middle of all of that Mr Q plate invacar called back!

so my head is currently still taking it all in, ill do a full write up once iv composed myself a bit  :mrgreen:

ok so Ill post about the Q plater first

the long and the short of it, is he gave me his email and full post code and gave me the ok to pass all the details onto "my friend in Sheffield"

but he actually wants to keep it but was/is selling it because he was losing garage space and because of the Q plate, he could not park it on the road and that if he could get it back to its original registration he would park it on the road and keep it (im suddenly getting deja view :mrgreen: ), and that someone had actually already offered £2K for it (and that 5 others have enquired about it), but he does not ACTUALLY want to sell it

so I told him that he can get the original registration back and how he may go about doing so (he thought he really could not, by some BS the DVLA told him) and i showed him where the Chassis numbers are located and to apply for its log book via a V62 etc

and that you can road register an invacar again (he really thought you could not so I got him to bring up the DVLA checker and punch in TWC725K, he asked me whats that one about to which I just said "oh its one a friend of mine owns and recently got back on the road"  :mrgreen: )

I also told him how it was ringed with a Mk12s chassis number, and he got a bit funny thinking I was suggesting his dad was a car ringer LOL, but I just told him it was probably done by whoever, so the DHSS wouldn't take it back, and he was happy with that

(from what I understand his dad got the car from the a Service agent, and then eventually he ended up with the car, and I think his dad died at some point between 1997 and now so he ended up with it)

Im aware that there is a chance this could all be BS and he is just messing me around, but he knows I cant do £2K, so if there really is someone else offering £2K regardless then thats me out of the race already, so iv got nothing to lose by telling him what I told him, and it means another Model 70 might return to the road properly

plus if he does, actually want to keep it, im not going to withhold information just for my own means so I could acquire it. im not that sort of person

so yeah, ill pass the post code and email etc to busmansholiday, but I dont think ill be getting this one sadly if he plans to keep it, but I am happy to see it might have a future with the guy and get its original registration back :)

plus who knows maybe he will still decide to sell it to me or something :)

(as a side note, he didn't seem to be a techy guy so I doubt he has found autoshite etc, he was not even aware of the DVLA look up site until i showed it to him)

and finally as I was saying my thanks and goodbye, he said something along the lines of: no thank you! you have told me so much and ill go get a V62 as soon as possible!. and he seemed genuinely happy about everything :)

so thats the Q plate Model 70 stuff, ill write up the stuff stuart told me in a bit, my brain is still a bit frazlled LOL

(as a side note, Stuart did make a very good observation that it might be a Model 67, because we cant see the rear wheel arches in the 1 picture we have LOL)