LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

there are now 2 Model 70s with Current MOTs :)

also did some DVLA bashing last "night" (read: at 4 in the morning) on the GPG-K plate range, which I think ranges from GPG720K to GPG910K (the GPG-K cars being very early Model 70s from what I can tell from August to September 1971)

sadly not found any that survived into VIN plate look up range, but one did manage to make it to 1999 :)

(GPG762K comes back as an Invacar, which would make it the oldest Invacar Model 70 iv seen however considering its part of a block of AC Model 70s, i suspect its just an AC with some shenanigans going on)

(the MOT history page asked me to complete a survey during all of this, so for giggles I did, where i filled it out asking them to add the Chassis number to the information provided on the vehicle enquiry service to help with my Model 70 research  :mrgreen: )

Driven that one :-)

very cool :)

I did a bit of sleuthing and came across the ebay listing where the field of invacars originated from :)

(I had actually came across it before but at the time none of the pictures would load)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192341348978

post-25614-0-32988800-1554483673_thumb.jpg

post-25614-0-93780500-1554483683_thumb.jpg

post-25614-0-02972200-1554483693_thumb.jpg

its interesting to see how out of all the invacars they could of chosen to photograph for 2 shoddy photos, they picked TWC and TPA :)

Yaay! knew this DVLA bashing would pay off :)

using this https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_181657-AC-Invacar-Model-70-1978.html

I was able to determine that the VPG-S reg block came after TPE-S block

interesting it seemingly only covers only 26 cars, from VPG243S to VPG269S, from the 14th of March to the 1st of April 1978

but most importantly, there where a few Post Y2K survivors so I was able to pull up the chassis numbers of

UOI4719 *redacted*

VPG247S *redacted*

VPG250S *redacted*

VPG269S *redacted*

WOI654 *redacted*

GIG4834 *redacted*

if you notice this is smack bang in the middle of the NI cars between UOI4719 and WOI654

but UOI4719 is registered much later then these VPG cars (1st oct 1979), but is of an earlier chassis number

so this tells me pretty damn reliably, that the Northern Ireland Model 70s, must of been either ex UK Model 70s re-registered in NI, or just Model 70s that sat around for a while before being sent to NI and registered

this tells us that there was no funny Boot leg production of Model 70s going on for NI or such

im pretty pleased to have finally cracked that part of the NI nut :)

im still very interested to hear what Datsuncog can dig up on WOI654 :)

(VPG269S, T447 is also the latest known UK AC Model 70 stuart has managed to track down, in terms of chassis numbers, I dont know if it still exists or not)

(question now lies whats the regs between *redacted* and *redacted*? and the rest of the NI Invacar story)

very cool :)

I did a bit of sleuthing and came across the ebay listing where the field of invacars originated from :)

(I had actually came across it before but at the time none of the pictures would load)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192341348978

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

its interesting to see how out of all the invacars they could of chosen to photograph for 2 shoddy photos, they picked TWC and TPA :)

Excellent. I'd lost that original for sale post. Wasn't it absolutely crap? I'd forgotten the pair I took were the featured cars!

I have absolutely no interest in invalid carriages, but I am enjoying your sleuthing.

Nero Wolfe would regard it as admirable and decree last night's work to be satisfactory.

thanks for the nice words, im happy to see others are also enjoying my sleuthing :)

Excellent. I'd lost that original for sale post. Wasn't it absolutely crap? I'd forgotten the pair I took were the featured cars!

when you say the original for sale post, as in the ebay listing it self or this post on the RUMCar forums? http://rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=5499.0

either way yeah pretty sparse LOL

(unless theres a prior post of the listing here on AS? I did a search of the ebay listing number here to see if the ebay listing had been posted anywhere here before, and only my posts here show up)

looking at the location, didn't realise they where so local to me, id been to brighton many times because my dad lives or lived there (honestly dont know anymore LOL)

I still have no real idea where any of them ended up aside from TWC and TPA sadly (all of them are showing last taxed since whenever they where withdrawn from ministry service)

(also rather frustrating too, because this was a recent well documented event yet)

the closest thing I have to the current whereabouts of any of them, are a few photos of OVW445P being carted on a trailer somewhere (Im not sure if it was leaving the field with ST185CS or leaving ST185CS to a new owner)

post-25614-0-23450900-1554503803_thumb.jpeg

(at least pop her eye back in LOL)

post-25614-0-27154000-1554504031_thumb.jpeg

Yaay! knew this DVLA bashing would pay off :)

using this https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_181657-AC-Invacar-Model-70-1978.html

I was able to determine that the VPG-S reg block came after TPE-S block

interesting it seemingly only covers only 26 cars, from VPG243S to VPG269S, from the 14th of March to the 1st of April 1978

but most importantly, there where a few Post Y2K survivors so I was able to pull up the chassis numbers of

UOI4719 T409

VPG247S T425

VPG250S T428

VPG269S T447

WOI654 T466

GIG4834 T495

if you notice this is smack bang in the middle of the NI cars between UOI4719 and WOI654

but UOI4719 is registered much later then these VPG cars (1st oct 1979), but is of an earlier chassis number

so this tells me pretty damn reliably, that the Northern Ireland Model 70s, must of been either ex UK Model 70s re-registered in NI, or just Model 70s that sat around for a while before being sent to NI and registered

this tells us that there was no funny Boot leg production of Model 70s going on for NI or such

im pretty pleased to have finally cracked that part of the NI nut :)

im still very interested to hear what Datsuncog can dig up on WOI654 :)

(VPG269S, T447 is also the latest known UK AC Model 70 stuart has managed to track down, in terms of chassis numbers, I dont know if it still exists or not)

(question now lies whats the regs between T447 and T466? and the rest of the NI Invacar story)

GIG xxxx is a very recent NI mark so whatever one that is is a very recent re-reg.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

interesting, that one comes back as registered on the 1st October 1980 on the 3rd party car checker websites but does not show up on the DVLA, which suggests it was off the road sometime before 2014 when they smooshed the 2 databases together (I think thats how it works IIRC)

(its the latest known Model 70 and I THINK it is still around somewhere but im not 100% sure)

(I did notice however the Registrations either side of GIG4834 come back as 1990s/2000s cars, and that auto trader think its a VW Golf LOL https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/?vrm=GIG4834  everything else correctly IDs it as an AC however)

interesting, that one comes back as registered on the 1st October 1980 on the 3rd party car checker websites but does not show up on the DVLA, which suggests it was off the road sometime before 2014 when they smooshed the 2 databases together (I think thats how it works IIRC)

(its the latest known Model 70 and I THINK it is still around somewhere but im not 100% sure)

(I did notice however the Registrations either side of GIG4834 come back as 1990s/2000s cars, and that auto trader think its a VW Golf LOL https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/?vrm=GIG4834 everything else correctly IDs it as an AC however)

Lots of xIG marks were sold for washers - MASS at Anston had shitloads of BIG marks for example. ISTR £50 plus the transfer fee could land you one no hassles and words (BIG, GIG, RIG etc) swap about like you wouldn't believe.

I reckon that if GIG 4834 is right in having a DOFR of 10/80 it's lost it's original registration within the last decade; 1980 would suggest a registration in the UOI, VOI or WOI series, assuming that all the Invacars registered over the water were registered in Belfast in a similar manner to those over here generally being registered in one of two places.

interesting stuff :) UOI WOI defo fits, as we have 2 other NI Model 70s that start with that :)

I was wondering if it was plate raped, but im not sure how the plate transferability works in NI (I know in the UK you can get a NI put on a car to hide its age, but i dont know how it works between a NI reg already existing on a car in NI etc)

i think this is like the 3rd Invacar iv come across thats been plate raped, who knew Invacar reg plates are so valuable*  :mrgreen:

interesting stuff :) UOI WOI defo fits, as we have 2 other NI Model 70s that start with that :)

I was wondering if it was plate raped, but im not sure how the plate transferability works in NI (I know in the UK you can get a NI put on a car to hide its age, but i dont know how it works between a NI reg already existing on a car in NI etc)

i think this is like the 3rd Invacar iv come across thats been plate raped, who knew Invacar reg plates are so valuable* :mrgreen:

Transfers work exactly the same as here Dez, except with no date-related marks you are just issued another transferrable dateless mark. Just like here, 3x2/3x3 plates are always worth something - WOI 654 for example would be worth quite a bit more than WOI 6540.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:45 AM, cms206 said:

Transfers work exactly the same as here Dez, except with no date-related marks you are just issued another transferrable dateless mark. Just like here, 3x2/3x3 plates are always worth something - WOI 654 for example would be worth quite a bit more than WOI 6540.

ah cool good to know :)

On 4/6/2019 at 7:37 AM, overrun said:

Re IMCDB, has the one that appears twice in ‘Ali G Indahouse’ been identified?

Just thought about it the other day lol.

Aye yeah according to the comments on the IMCDB its REV451R

which interestingly enough is SORN :)

although I have not see REV451R documented elsewhere else, so i dont know what its exact story is or where it currently is/what condition its in sadly.

Iv just looked up what its chassis number is, and its weird,

its like someone smooshed an Invacar and an AC chassis number together

ill have to go through the rest of the REV-R range figure out where the block started and ended and if theres any others who's Chassis number i can pull up :)

unless it was exported to Northern Ireland...!

haha could well be  :)

heres another one that was not taxed for long, its interesting to note the Mid month expire date, means it would of had a change of owner as tax does not carry over right? (iv noticed a good few other Model 70s with Tax expired on Random dates like this but untaxed much later on in life, im guessing thats when the scrap yard did actually have the V5 transferred to them or the tax was canceled for some other reason?)

post-25614-0-17241000-1554573796_thumb.png

haha could well be :)

heres another one that was not taxed for long, its interesting to note the Mid month expire date, means it would of had a change of owner as tax does not carry over right? (iv noticed a good few other Model 70s with Tax expired on Random dates like this but untaxed much later on in life, im guessing thats when the scrap yard did actually have the V5 transferred to them or the tax was canceled for some other reason?)

attachicon.gifimage (23).png

Tax did carry over back then, tax expiring at any point other than the last day of the month means the vehicle was physically delicensed.

Tax did carry over back then, tax expiring at any point other than the last day of the month means the vehicle was physically delicensed.

oh cool

is physically delicensed the old timey equivalent of a CoD today then or something?

(out of curiosity would it affect a V62 application this day and age?)

oh cool

is physically delicensed the old timey equivalent of a CoD today then or something?

(out of curiosity would it affect a V62 application this day and age?)

Not necessarily, remember in those days there was no interwebie thing so if you wanted to get any tax back you had to fill in forms and rely on Postman Pat to get the letter to Swansea in time.

Retaxing involved a visit to the Post Office, proving you had an MoT (stories about being able to buy them for a few quid in your local pub are errrrr), Insurance, and the cash to pay it.

Also in those days there was no SORN, people, usually the Plod, walked around streets and if there wasn't a valid tax disc you got a fine.

Road tax which is logged as ending partway through a month is when the car was officially consigned to the crusher.

That’s why I’m always intrigued by the demise of my first car. Road tax was due on 1st December 1996, which would have made it a nineteen year old Golf at the time. I’m sure it probably did go for scrap at some point after I sold it a couple of years previous, but I guess the V5 was never filled in and sent to DooVLA to confirm it was dead.

Not necessarily, remember in those days there was no interwebie thing so if you wanted to get any tax back you had to fill in forms and rely on Postman Pat to get the letter to Swansea in time.

Retaxing involved a visit to the Post Office, proving you had an MoT (stories about being able to buy them for a few quid in your local pub are errrrr), Insurance, and the cash to pay it.

Also in those days there was no SORN, people, usually the Plod, walked around streets and if there wasn't a valid tax disc you got a fine.

ahh literally just removing the Tax to get your monies back then, makes sense :)

tho why on an invacar? Tax was free LOL

and back then pre SORN, if you didn't want to tax a car, you could just let current tax expire and make sure it was not parked on a public highway right?

Road tax which is logged as ending partway through a month is when the car was officially consigned to the crusher.

That’s why I’m always intrigued by the demise of my first car. Road tax was due on 1st December 1996, which would have made it a nineteen year old Golf at the time. I’m sure it probably did go for scrap at some point after I sold it a couple of years previous, but I guess the V5 was never filled in and sent to DooVLA to confirm it was dead.

ah was there a specific thing back then you could send to the DVLA to tell them the car no longer exists, bit like a CoD these days?

although one would wonder why the car would still be on the DVLA database, unless when they computerised everything, back then they did decide to include cars that had "scrapped" markers anyway?

(I remember DW mentioned how TWC was "unscrapped" on the DVLA system when he applied with the V62, but IIRC TWCs tax was just expired normally rather then on a random day)

http://autoshite.com/topic/29975-dollywobblers-invacar-2000-miles/?p=1389747

some more Mk10 stuff :)

its a shame this website only has postage stamp sized images *grumble* https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/invacar-mark-10-invacar-leaflet-276265432

post-25614-0-68728000-1554666666_thumb.jpg

(this may have been the other picture I saw, but I could of sworn I saw a picture of a Mk10 in colour somewhere, but who knows)

(if ya zoom in you can just about read the small text)