LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

spotted last night that the Model, Model 70 (LOL) is coming along nicely :) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByN3feqgwhf/

61390922_349140685766771_1694963665090338061_n.thumb.jpg.2b5666ec957863e8423ca78a308efd01.jpg

I wonder if he used the Paint info sheet from stuart or some other method of figuring out what colour to paint it?

(I also hope he gets the door handles right, I know he used TWC as a base, and TWC has the wrong door handles for a Model 70)

as was posted in the ebay thread it looks like the Model 70 Body is back up for sale

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133077005975

kinda pisses me off in someways tho, given how @Zelandeth got screwed out of it due to an ebay glitch, and now the current owner is just selling it on for profit, the current owner got it for much cheaper then what its currently up for (plus he also got a bunch of extra Model 70 spare parts when he went to collect the body )

hell the fact that the current owner even bough/bid on it in the first place when he had literally just sold his remaining Model 70 chassis frustrates me as it is! (especially as it deprived another Model 70's chance of returning to the road)

ahh well, hopefully it goes to a good home at least and is used to put another Model 70 back on the road :) 

im also uploading all the pictures from that listing here as I feel they may come in handy in the future, I will say he has uploaded much better photos of all the panels then the oringial ebay listing, and its been very interesting to study their internal construction :)

once again as I mentioned ealier in this thread, I do wonder who made these body panels, and after Model 70 production ended, was a small production line setup to make replacement body panels somewhere or was something else done?

image.thumb.png.482b44582a2160692bfa8a7416a722d3.png

image.thumb.png.52ac599d45da3727378ef2b0f424bc62.png

image.thumb.png.f453631dbabec77d4d5d922dc399a870.png

image.thumb.png.4e65a857ff88de4d9546385dd30d0440.png

image.thumb.png.ceceac0132e5409c43e10af5c7153c46.png

image.thumb.png.71df15e2f00591867752d53acdfd974c.png

image.thumb.png.c91ea8a501f8feba24176a20e4f10b6d.png

image.thumb.png.c39930b9d8232cc5621616d6bbfe360f.png

image.thumb.png.a11eb00cabbbd48dae46fb2466568bde.png

image.thumb.png.8cb6304d78bdad8f49d8bc504ac04155.png

image.thumb.png.2fca8c2614af5e6c42b78175f81a8b2f.png

(edit: just noticed on the bottom of the door there "AC27..." or something, interesting,,,)

heres an interesting little thing :) I noticed while looking at my handle bar shot of TWC, that there appears to be some sort of sticker residue, right above the slot where the gear stick comes out the dashboard on the dash change Model 70s

and I do know that those Model 70's had a sticker there donating gear stick position for Drive neutral and reverse,

so I wonder if TWC originally was fitted with a dash mounted gear change or if her entire dashboard was changed at one point, and they used one from a Model 70 that had a dash mounted gear change? I do know that a few other Model 70's from where TWC was saved from did have dash mounted gear sticks

image.thumb.png.944157a438603c3710c71ae0c49b1138.png

and on that note I also wonder if at some point the dash mounted gear change option was removed entirely from the Model 70 options list, as I noticed that later Model 70,s dont have a cut out in the dash for it to start with.

57538070_2404273622939467_6824781442266955776_n.jpg

(also just noticed that VES108S (ex XEV88S) has the internal "Oh shit" style door handles that TJN352R has as well, I need to double check an early Model 70 now, I dont recall seeing them before)

(edit: yup GPG and TWC has the handles too I guess I just failed to noticed them until recently! :) ) 

so heres a fun one :) (For me anyway! LOL)

I was doing a bit of sleuthing on the RUMCar forum as I had recalled reading that someone had a V5 of a Model 67, which still showed up on the DVLA, and I recall checking it out, and I want to revisit it

keep in mind every single surviving Model 67 I have come across (until now?) had either had no number plate or has been on false plates, and every old timey picture I had come across of a Model 67, they never showed up on the DVLA

well I managed to find a post where stuart talks about DPD778J an AC Acedes Mk15 Model 67 and talks about it being an ex-Combe car which I think is the the same place JBY503J the Mk12 Invacar came from, while sadly I dont know whats happened to DPD778J, it does show up on the DVLA :) and rather curiously, despite being untaxed since 1987 I can look it up on my VIN number thingy and get its VIN number

http://rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=825.msg2854#msg2854

well while sleuthing around for More Model 67 pictures, I managed to find this picture, and what are the chances of that, let alone coming across a Model 67 with its reg plate still, but one of the same series as DPD778J and it shows up on the DVLA too still :) (but sadly I cant look up this one in my VIN number thingy) its reg is DPD715J if the picture is too small for you to read

image.png.7f01cce25b6b8bdfa91373eea483ed89.png

id like to think its in good hands since I found the picture here, If it is, its probably in the US by now, as I noticed the pictures contain a number vehicles from an Ian Hellings invalid vehicle collection

http://www.momencemotormuseum.com/

(also what is it with Wales and abandoned invalid vehicles! I still wonder what happened to that Model 70 that was discovered about a year ago)

continuing the AC Acedes Mk14-15 theme, I came across this picture a nice High rez picture of the AC Acedes Mk15 (Model 67) in Australia,  :) and one with the full False number plate in view finally, I wonder if it means anything? clearly is a false plate, because if it was its real plate the H would be on the other side! (it does not come up on the DVLA or anything else either)

1965AC_Acedes_Invalid_Tricycle.thumb.jpeg.46b436f0042d7160337140d456b90d53.jpeg

also looks like Fraser is going ahead with doing up VES108S, at first he was not, then he was when he found out it was "the last off the production line" then he said he aint going to when I discovered that it was not the last off the production line (although he did not quite believe me until stuart agreed with my findings!), and now he he is doing it up? Go figure!

while I personally dont believe VES108S was in particular need of an extensive rub down restoration, (theres literally an entire field of Model 70s Mk12s and AC Acedes that could do with it more then VES108S needs it) 

I am however of course happy to see a Model 70 getting some love :), however i dont agree with some of the modifications he is doing to it like the mould line removal thing, so I made a cheeky jab in good spirit at that :mrgreen:

(I am also worried that he will just end up selling VES108S/XEV88S for an exorbitant price like he did with JPA268N)

image.thumb.png.1eeda92a4c22f8bfffb4edb49a1604ec.png

see this is why im glad I took all sorts of photos of TPA :mrgreen: and on that note @dollywobbler any chance you could grab me a close up picture of one of the mould lines on TWC? if what Fraser is saying is true, then it would be another way to tell an AC and Invacar Model 70 apart :) (I also wonder if the moulding process could of change throughout production but sadly to my dismay I dont have a roster of 1971-1978 AC and Invacar Model 70s at my disposal for me to comb over with a fine toothed comb!)

image.thumb.png.2d2215db823d164b7c050db3afdbcdf3.png

12 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

also looks like Fraser is going ahead with doing up VES108S, at first he was not, then he was when he found out it was "the last off the production line" then he said he aint going to when I discovered that it was not the last off the production line (although he did not quite believe me until stuart agreed with my findings!), and now he he is doing it up? Go figure!

while I personally dont believe VES108S was in particular need of an extensive rub down restoration, (theres literally an entire field of Model 70s Mk12s and AC Acedes that could do with it more then VES108S needs it)

If there's a field of these things needing total rebuilds it's because the owner has a deluded notion of their value or because they're the Invacar equivalent of Mr Trebus. 

On that note, do these need a whip-round organising so they actually get attached to a chassis rather than gathering dust/moss? Or even using as masters to make more?

12 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

If there's a field of these things needing total rebuilds it's because the owner has a deluded notion of their value or because they're the Invacar equivalent of Mr Trebus. 

On that note, do these need a whip-round organising so they actually get attached to a chassis rather than gathering dust/moss? Or even using as masters to make more?

I think the former sadly, for the Mk12s and AC Acedes, and maybe the later for the Model 70s?

(I know the guy with the Mk12's and AC Acedes's wants like £1200 for a mk12 in similar condition to what @egg one is in, which is a bit silly especially when you consider Egg bought his for £300 and even that was a bit on the rich side depending on who you ask, and as for the Model 70, well I have no idea sadly, last I heard they are sitting in another field somewhere, but even directly contacting @st185cs on facebook I have heard nothing back sadly :( )

indeed see the posts above for my thoughts on that body

id love for moulds and then new sections to made from them, but from what I have heard its prohibitively expensive (IIRC  @OliD-E was quoted like £1K for a front section alone, although I dont know if that was from scratch or using an existing panel as a mould) but who knows

one of the things is, I know small scale production can be quite expensive, and theres not exactly going to be massive demand for Model 70 body mouldings when theres only 79 known Model 70's in existence

I did hear that apparently Model 70 body moulds may have popped up on ebay last year, but sadly the guy cant recall much about them and did not save the auction :(

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I did hear that apparently Model 70 body moulds may have popped up on ebay last year, but sadly the guy cant recall much about them and did not save the auction :(

If it was on ebay it's bound to have been archived by one of those stupid automatic collating websites.

49 minutes ago, 666jjp said:

Hi, was watching an old episode of the big match and got a couple of reg's  - ypk818h and eph288j ( this one had l-plates on).

Oh thanks :) 

im guessing those are of 2 Mk15 Model 67? sadly as expected for pre Model 70 invalid vehicle they dont show up on the DVLA  (are you sure its YPK tho? I had it in my head that Y was not used on reg plates, and the DVLA checker says its not a valid format either edit: mind I forgot about JBY503J, so I wonder why the DVLA checker thinks YPK818H is not valid? its not that it cant find it, it thinks its an invalid registration format)

(H and J plates predate the Model 70 which started out on a K plate, although as a side note supposedly theres a picture of a Prototype Model 70 on a H plate somewhere I would love to find that :))

Never mind if I type in YPK818H manually it works fine (but still does not show up sadly)

strange normally I can copy and paste things in fine, but this time I guess not, even pasting it in plain text mode had no effect (cmd shift V on a Mac if your wondering :) )

go figure!

17 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

very cool! I thought one of the regs looked familiar, close but not quite! :) indeed those are AC Acedes (Mk15s most likely) Model 67s 

image.png.5e37fc26ad632c21d203ca6f624398d7.png

(I still wonder what the L reg Model 70 is about on the far left, given its on white on black plates)

looks like these are at Coventry as well

15 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Not much room for the cornertaker! They're parked practically on the touchline! :D

I doubt the people in the invacar are complaining!

manoeuvring them into position must of been fun :) I wonder if any poor footballer has ever been run over/hit by a run away invacar or someone getting a bit too excited/pissed off LOL (apparently invacars where good at stopping pitch invasions!)

Heres a fun one for the Routemaster enthusiasts (aka @Yoss and me :mrgreen:)

NOO800M (if chassis numbers are to believed) is the 2760th Invacar Model 70 :)

I was looking at my chassis number lists, and realised I did not have a single M reg Invacar Model 70 in my list so decided to correct that and settled on the N00-M block to smash into the DVLA, only found one that survived into VIN pull up range, NOO791M but its not hard to extrapolate from there when I saw what its chassis number was :), worth noting NOO738M actually survive to this day I think, but sadly its part of the 2017 field consignment where details are non existent, and it was last taxed in Y2K so I cant pull up its chassis number) 

image.thumb.png.4666a8fa2b4fea3ec014e3e8cce7657a.png

24 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Here are a few from Facebook of TWC's nose.

24231869_10155949260943200_5349870829849

26165283_10156036251673200_7172525802255

Not much of a mould line going on...

26991973_10156117383928200_3988939007314

ah my bad I should of been clearer, the mould lines im referring to are on the rear of the Model 70 :) (those head lamp trim rings could be sold as modern art! :mrgreen: )

heres a picture of one of TPAs rear mould lines that I took last time I was at Zels place

image.thumb.png.b6b392f2f6af00327b6db0afac582f28.png

(the front Mould lines where eliminated with the AC Acedes Mk15, and of course the Model 70 shares much of its body shell design from that car and as such also has no front mould lines)

for reference :),

heres a Mk14

image.thumb.png.e0a7bbab5d6529fe3df8ea54a98e92d5.png

and heres a Mk15 

1965AC_Acedes_Invalid_Tricycle.thumb.jpeg.46b436f0042d7160337140d456b90d53.jpeg

ah very cool! thank you for those :) (I should of known to look back at your thread from when you where recommissioning TWC)

the mould lines look the same as whats on TPA, so I wonder what Fraser is on about about the Invacar ones being different

(either things changed during production, or TWC has the arse from an AC? Mysteries of the Model 70!)

for comparison sake here is also an over view short of TPAs rear end

CCBD6FC7-BBED-4DF4-A385-F0032E61B409.jpeg

speaking of Model 70 pictures, just a gentle reminder, when your done settling down from shitefest, dont forget to upload those TJN352R pictures for me please! :)

more hand propelled goodness :) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143286998850

its very interesting to see the little government property "VIN plate" it has, I was not actually sure if hand propelled machines where given out by the MoH and I certainly was not aware that they where part of the Model xx naming scheme, however thinking about it, it sort of makes sense as I have heard wheel chair clamps in invalid vehicles being described as for "a Model 8 wheel chair" and if things as simple as wheel chairs where part of the whole Model thing then id expect hand propelled invalid carriages to be part of it too. but its still very interesting to see (the Chart I have on hand "only" goes back to the Model 39 which is just described as "various early petrol vehicles")

image.thumb.png.144db244897a88993f7852056396c790.png

280809700_s-l1600(11).thumb.jpg.616196fcb784cfce242b9c672aae84a6.jpg

Just wondering anyone has any quick thoughts on something

I called the person with the 2 Model 70s on the 13th of may, and I had a good conversation with the person as I posted here

then on the 17th I sent him a email asking for some pictures/more details, to which he responded "Sorry up to my eyes at the moment will let you know when free"

then on the 6th of june I sent him another email as a quick reminder that I am still interested etc 

but I have not heard anything back since then, I have been wondering if I should give the guy another call or something?

but I dont want to piss anyone off, so im just wondering what others might do in this situation?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133077374211

I had read that in roughly Y2K or so, the order went out to replace all Model 70 floors with ally versions, yet the listing says its a stainless steel? so I wonder what was actually fitted?

granted "Model 70 floor", is one way to describe a square of metal sheet that you can easily buy from a local sheet metal supplier i imagine LOL

606409443_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.d6cd675a8bca0bbdc6fe7fce87d5f8bc.jpg

as side note I found the screen shot someone took of when KPL was for sale, notice the Mk12 poking into shot :)

image.thumb.png.3329233af28c9bc8b262ec12b872afee.png

turns out it was in my Invacar photos folder, I was trying to find it online, it begs the question where DID I find it then LOL the file name tells me I saved it from a facebook post of some sort...

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

so im just wondering what others might do in this situation?

Hard to say. Sometimes these things work best if you get the deal done on the first contact, obviously you're past that point now. 

But in this case, you might need to be slow and patient. It could be one of those reluctant sales. To be honest, even with that breakers yard in Norwich (and as many will tell you, breakers are not sentimental!), I had to take it a step at a time...(probably half dozen calls from initial contact to delivery day)

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Hard to say. Sometimes these things work best if you get the deal done on the first contact, obviously you're past that point now. 

But in this case, you might need to be slow and patient. It could be one of those reluctant sales. To be honest, even with that breakers yard in Norwich (and as many will tell you, breakers are not sentimental!), I had to take it a step at a time...(probably half dozen calls from initial contact to delivery day)

Yeah, id of loved to have sealed a deal on first contact, but sadly I lack the moneys to do have done that (if anyone is interested in going half and half over these 2 Model 70's do let me know! I have had a couple people approach me but currently everyones gone silent)

I think if I dont hear back on the email end soon, ill give him a call at the end of this week or the start of next (as by that point it will have been a month since I sent the email)

speaking of it reminded me, when the microcar people announced the National Microcar Rally 2019, DW mentioned it here and said 

On 1/24/2019 at 8:52 PM, dollywobbler said:

Just discovered the National Microcar Rally is in Somerset this year. Regardless of whether you've got one by then LightBulbFan, I think you should try to find a way to be there. 

I will say, me owning a Model 70 by then is looking much more realistic then it was at the start of the year when he posted that, it would be very cool to turn up to the event in my very own Model 70 :) (although the event is now only 3 months away and I dont even have a full driving licence yet!)

finally found a proper photo of this Model 70 :) I have seen it in a youtube video and in a magazine, so happy to have finally got a proper picture of it, its a shame its wearing false plates, as I really dont know much about this one, I think its in austria?

http://www.voz.co.at/Gallery/Steyr-Puch/page-0072.htm

picture-0072.jpg.59d9ca27bf27fd89b691caae43d4fdfc.jpg

from what I can tell its a fairly late AC Model 70, I noticed that a lot of late Model 70s have door mounted mirrors rather then wing mounted mirrors, you can also make out a head liner, (one similar to whats in TWC I think? interestingly enough)

(im not 100% sure if the door mounted mirror thing was a factory thing or something done later, by the ministry/the shops that maintained them, but I have only ever seen it done to R and S reg Model 70s although ill have to check my main images archive when Im back on my main computer)