LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Just now, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

TPA vs TWC at Santa Pod anyone? 

given TWCs recent performance improvements that would be quite interesting

i guess its down to which one snuck in the 650cc piston and barrel upgrades :mrgreen: (or just dropped in a 44 horse power Steyr puch 650TRII engine which is about as good as you can get engine wise while keeping things FAIRLY original)

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

given TWCs recent performance improvements that would be quite interesting

i guess its down to which one snuck in the 650cc piston and barrel upgrades :mrgreen: (or just dropped in a 44 horse power Steyr puch 650TRII engine which is about as good as you can get engine wise while keeping things FAIRLY original)

From what I've seen regarding the 500cc version, the quickest and easiest way to get a couple of horses (especially at the top end) is fitting the larger carb from the 650cc engine.  The standard one is just too small and restricts air flow too much at higher revs.  Bit of a shame as the head design looks like it should flow pretty well with the right plumbing bolted onto it.  The Uber long inlet manifold probably doesn't do any favours either...my guess anyhow.

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

From what I've seen regarding the 500cc version, the quickest and easiest way to get a couple of horses (especially at the top end) is fitting the larger carb from the 650cc engine.  The standard one is just too small and restricts air flow too much at higher revs.  Bit of a shame as the head design looks like it should flow pretty well with the right plumbing bolted onto it.  The Uber long inlet manifold probably doesn't do any favours either...my guess anyhow.

the thing there with the Model 70 at least, is you never get to higher revs in normal use, when the CVT goes into fixed ratio mode your doing 45Mph at 3500RPM, the manual says a top speed of 60Mph at 4500RPM, but the engine makes peak horsepower at 5500RPM so you would have to be doing 70Mph to hit peak horse power in a Model 70

(so yes @HarmonicCheeseburger DW could truthfully shout POWER as he hit 70 LOL)

max torque however happens at 3500RPM for the steyr puch engine which is evidently what they where aiming for with the CVT setup here (at lest from 0-45Mph) :)

15 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

^^^ AFAIK you can certainly drive a 40-yr MOT exempt car in NI if you're just visiting, but if the V5's registered to an NI address then it'll need to have a valid MOT to tax it.

This is, apparently, just one reason why NI drivers can't tax a new car online - you have to rock up to a designated Post Office and wave your MOT cert and insurance document before they'll permit you to hand over the necessary £££. Even though DVLA Swansea holds the details of the last MOT, and can check insurance status online.

(For more details of this nonsensical bureaucratic pain in the hoop, see the Datsuncog's Heaps thread c. last May.)

dragging this one over here so I dont get beaned for Invacar-ing litreally every thread :)

but how does it work with cars that have sat for a long time and are not on the DVLA Database

if someone wanted to get WOI654 or SOI7570 back on the road for example?

(and how would it work if someone dragged one of those back to the UK, would it be re-issued with a UK reg or would the car be allowed to keep its NI reg?)

have I lost even more marbles, or was this thread on Page 51 a couple days ago?

anyways, Iv updated the survivors list a little bit, and seeing as the pre forum upgrade photo thumbnail issue is still an issue, iv manually fixed each image :)

thanks to MPH759P returning to the road, we now have 10 Model 70s with current tax (well trying to recall if I updated the list when ATW722L was exported, might need to go and re count things to be sure), however sadly we are down to just 1 Model 70 that has a current MOT, that one being TWC725K

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah yea I see that now, thats a shame, he removed the Mk11 stuff sadly

on the note of the Mk11, im almost positive I have seen another one somewhere else, perhaps in one of the old Pathè videos I linked, will have to look through those again and see :)

Shame he's thrown the toys out of the pram. He seemed a fountain of knowledge on your favourite subject,. 

Not a clue how to do it, but can't you do some screenshots of cached pages of your thread from say 48 hours ago, if there were useful mk11 stats or facts? Sounds like he wont be in a rush to share them again...

40 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Shame he's thrown the toys out of the pram. He seemed a fountain of knowledge on your favourite subject,. 

Not a clue how to do it, but can't you do some screenshots of cached pages of your thread from say 48 hours ago, if there were useful mk11 stats or facts? Sounds like he wont be in a rush to share them again...

indeed it seems like he has delated a few more of his posts too :( sadly google does not seemed to have cached anything

(apparently if you stick "cache:" in front of the URL in chrome at least, it will try and bring up a cache version of the page your on)

41 minutes ago, Snipes said:

What was the "Whitehall whitewash" the magazine headline alluded to?

im not 100% sure tbh, but I do know in the early mid 70s was when the whole anti-Invacar thing hit fever pitch, and then the tone changed suddenly when people found out they where going to lose their invacars and just be given an allowance for a regular car...

(all Invacars where supposed to be withdrawn by 1981 originally!)

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:23 AM, LightBulbFun said:

but how does it work with cars that have sat for a long time and are not on the DVLA Database

if someone wanted to get WOI654 or SOI7570 back on the road for example?

(and how would it work if someone dragged one of those back to the UK, would it be re-issued with a UK reg or would the car be allowed to keep its NI reg?)

I'm guessing a bit here, but since everything transferred over to DVLA HQ in Swansea from the old DVA in Northern Ireland, the process of recommissioning should still be the same as for the rest of GB.

As with other old knackers that have been off the road since God was a nipper and have dropped off the DVLA database, unless the original number plate's been reallocated (which, seemingly, hasn't happened with WOI) then it should be theoretically possible to reinstate it so long as there's enough documentary evidence in terms of chassis number, VIN etc - just as happened with MPH lately.

As Swansea now hold all the files and records that were moved out of County Hall in Coleraine, I think the principal difference is just that no-one sees any value in uploading the historic NI records onto the public-facing database - possibly because they're on some old legacy storage format, or even in hard-copy. They should still be able to refer to them, though.

Because the number of NI-plated cars coming back to life after an extended period off the road is probably teeny-tiny, I can see their logic there (though it's annoying for minority interest groups like the fine folks here) - but AFAIK there should be no extra hurdles, and no need to reregister an NI car with a GB registration, since they're all now administered through the same channels.

ah cool stuff yeah sounds reasonable :)

I was just wondering, because here, if the car still shows up on the DVLA checker, you can more often then not, just fill out a V62 and get its V5, its how I went about sorting out MPH759P :)

but Eggs Mk12 XWC468F, since the DVLA dont actually have any records of it, Egg has to claim the reg from the DVLA and effectively register it as a new vehicle. (although I do wonder what would happen if @egg tried a V62 again now he knows the reg)

so I was not sure since none of the NI Model 70,s show up on the DVLA, but do show up on 3rd party sites, if it was the first case or the second case.

I wonder if the museum have any documents to go with WOI654 like a V5?

The museum should hold documentation for its exhibits, but I'm really not sure how this Model 70 might be positioned owing to its odd status as a not-quite-private vehicle.

Most of the cars in the collection seem to have either been bought at auction, donated by families or manufacturers, or are there on long-term loan. I did ask the curatorial staff in my last email if they could provide any history on WOI, but I've not yet heard anything back - so maybe time for another rattle.

I'm guessing that what probably happened was the original owner died, or became infirm to the point they could no longer use WOI (c.1994) and the car was returned to the DHSS workshops (which I think were located at Musgrave Park Hospital in South Belfast). Quite likely the procedure at that point was for trikes to be scrapped/destroyed on return, as the policy of the time dictated they couldn't be issued to a new user.

Possibly the Transport Museum had put in a request with the workshop to hold over a returned car for their collection, or maybe someone in the workshop made a phonecall to the museum when it came in - but I'd guess it was probably done on a pretty ad-hoc and unofficial basis (like a lot of things related to Northern Ireland governance). As National Museums NI are an arms-length body of the Department for Communities (though set up as a charitable organisation in their own right), then technically I think WOI is still in government ownership.

Maybe WOI was marked as scrapped, with the green logbook sent back to Coleraine and the number plates removed - because it's not like anyone was ever going to care enough to start asking awkward questions, hey? ?

50 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

but Eggs Mk12 XWC468F, since the DVLA dont actually have any records of it, Egg has to claim the reg from the DVLA and effectively register it as a new vehicle. (although I do wonder what would happen if @egg tried a V62 again now he knows the reg)

I guess priority  of events re: attempting to re-register:

1. Ask for help from invalid carriage register

2. try again myself with a V62

3. Try Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs help

4. Register it with any old age appropriate plate as a new vehicle

Yeah, I imagine after the owner either gave it up or died, it would been sent back to an invacar garage, where it was probably scrapped soon after

but im not 100% sure on what exactly happened after an Invacar was given up by its user

ROO978M does not even show up on the checker at all, maybe that was the person that won the event? :)

also for @OliD-E an N Reg AC Model 70 on 10 inch wheels, so probably means KPL would of indeed been on 10 inch wheels as well (also lends credence that Model 70,s jumped from 12 to 10 inch wheels around about 1973)

_20190523_061845.JPG

I wish I could say this morning has been good on account of the fresh Model 70 spotings

but I got a letter from the government rejecting my appeal once more :(

its awfully depressing :(

and there still both saying im perfectly fit for work and at the same time recommending I get a wheel chair...

(anyone who has been to my house knows just how unsuitable a wheel chair would be for me sadly)

I think the place I sort of shot myself in the foot in so to speak

is during the assessment, i said in a couple questions that yes I can said thing, but it causes me a lot of pain and will end up disabling me for quite some time and I cant do it repeatedly

I should of just said "no i cant do that" 

(but that would of technically been lying, but im too good for my own good it seems ? )

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wish I could say this morning has been good on account of the fresh Model 70 spotings

but I got a letter from the government rejecting my appeal once more :(

its awfully depressing :(

and there still both saying im perfectly fit for work and at the same time recommending I get a wheel chair...

(anyone who has been to my house knows just how unsuitable a wheel chair would be for me sadly)

I think the place I sort of shot myself in the foot in so to speak

is during the assessment, i said in a couple questions that yes I can said thing, but it causes me a lot of pain and will end up disabling me for quite some time and I cant do it repeatedly

I should of just said "no i cant do that" 

(but that would of technically been lying, but im too good for my own good it seems ? )

Shit.

Can you have a word with Citizen's Advice, assuming you haven't already?

I have briefly looked into it in the past but not currently met with anyone there, it may be something I need pursue once more

but im very thankful that Zel has been helping me a hell of a lot with this whole thing, and for that im eternally thankful to him :)

(according to the letter iv just got, my next step of appeal would be an independent tribunal which sounds like fun*, so im currently looking into whats involved with that)