LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

6 minutes ago, Austat said:

interesting that image is even smaller then the one you posted and less cropped, I did a reverse google image search and pulled up a higher rez version

I assume thats what you did and posted the zoomed in/cropped version to try and get a clearer picture of the number plate? :) (sadly in all the versions of the photo I could find its not any clearer)

MPP_LEC_171214_Shopped_23.jpg

13 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Unusual to see such a small Tesco in that period - anyone recognize the high-street?

according to here

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/merseyside-street-views-through-years-10227526

and here

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/nostalgia/gallery/pictures-merseyside-way-shopped-8311019

its "The shopping centre of Widnes, Albert Road. 28th July 1973."

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

R1 engined. I remember seeing it run a 9 at Santa Pod. Can just say see the wheelie bars, in the above pic.

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Here's a nice juxtaposition....

IMG_4338.thumb.jpg.cdc8028a66e1ade4b2b511e266797c1c.jpg

is THAT why Duncan has the Tippen Delta and and Model 70 to go with his Fiat S76? :mrgreen:

BTW is there a way to contact him or if you could? im very eager to get details of his 2 invalid vehicles as I dont think they are on any survivors list, at least not knowingly!

im especially quite eager to  know more on the the Tippen Delta because of the painting you shared of it, it had a Retroreflective plate which points to it being a Fred Miller conversion Tippen Delta, and I have looked up pretty much every single one of those on the DVLA that still shows up on the DVLA, so im quite curious to know which one it is that I have inadvertently looked at not knowing its actually a survivor! none show any signs of being a survivor like recent V5s etc sadly (unless his Tippen Delta has its chassis number recorded on the DVLA in a diffrent way then I wont have found it, but it would give me a new chassis number layout to try and search the DVLA by!)

and of course I am always interested in Model 70 details of course!

13 hours ago, barrett said:

Here's a nice juxtaposition....

IMG_4338.thumb.jpg.cdc8028a66e1ade4b2b511e266797c1c.jpg

Just realised (assuming the AC is a Model 57 and not a 64) that they are both chain driven vehicles :) 

(and depending on age of that AC, neither have front brakes either well Im assuming the fiat does not based on the age of the thing and the fact a lot of cars from that time dont have much in the way of brakes but I dont know my fiats that well, but I do know that most invalid vehicles only got front brakes in the mid to late 1960's!)

1 hour ago, barrett said:

I've asked about Duncan's cars and will let you know...

In the meantime, where is this collection?

20685014_Screenshot2020-11-13at10_32_16.thumb.png.f8afb4b94f5f616964c4f4d9288ad02f.png

Thanks I appreciate it, they have been bugging me for a couple years now :) 

im not sure sadly, other than it used to be owned by a big AC collector John Moir, who's collection (part of which you see in the background there) was sold at Auction in 2014

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf14/hershey/lots/r184-1975-ac-invacar/181997

its thought that  "JCB421"  is actually JPA347N but im still needing to fully verify its ID, but as I dont know who it sold to that might be a bit tricky! (but JCB421N is clearly just a set of false plates),

(I know its not a private car as theres a DHSS Reserve sticker in the windscreen LOL)

I assume since everything went to auction the collection just got split up

did anyone ever make an automatic Morris minor in period? iv certainly never heard of one...

(facebook market place has a bad habit of just labelling   everything as automatic so I would ignore that)

as for being DHSS Spec, id expect to see some form of hand controls or disability adaptions, but its the colour id expect to see one to be in

however if it was really DHSS spec there would also be a government property plaque on it like the DHSS Mini I found, but that could have also been removed at some point

I sadly dont know enough about Ministry Minors otherwise to tell for sure on that one, regardless its always nice to see another moggy :) 

On 02/04/2020 at 02:14, LightBulbFun said:

also found this! https://www.theminirestorationcompany.co.uk/projects/marco-karen-s-project

looks like any other Mini these days right?

image.thumb.png.0095b851438a3f3c4da68696e50c3fa8.png

but check this out!, thats right its a DHSS supplied mini :) contrary to popular belief the invalid vehicle service did supply adapted normal cars to certain people depending on the situation especially to married couples, at first Morris minors then Minis

image.thumb.png.706d73024d63f4138c662a0db18a06bc.png

I waited till stuart was available to confirm that what I was looking at was indeed a DHSS mini and to get some extra info :) (hence only posting it now, but I came across it while digging up a picture of DYO833C)

sadly its been stripped of all its DHSS features bar the the info plaque, which as it says, Reselco was the primary provider of hand controls for normal cars to the DHSS

I had known of the government Minors and Minis (Dennis and Marion Webb had a government Minor for a while for example)

but had never seen one otherwise in detail, and I had wondered if they like the DHSS's Invalid vehicles if they had little government property and contract plaques, looks like indeed they did :) 

its a shame its been stripped of all its unique features otherwise would be neat to see how it would of been setup

I don't believe the Morris Minor/1000 was ever offered as an Automatic. While it had the A series engine it was installed front to back with  the gearbox facing the rear axle. Mini/1100 had the AP Auto gearbox in the sump and front wheel drive.

When I sold new cars for Volvo, Vauxhall and Citroen the Motability cars where regular cars anybody could buy.  We sold a few Volvo 340 CVT Autos on Motability, I only remember one ZX auto from Citroen but we did not have Auto AX or Saxo to offer. We sold a lot of Vauxhalls mainly basic Corsa  Auto's where you could sight over your allowance, put no money down and drive away in a brand new car. You could take a better model but as the allowance was fixed Vauxhall took the increased price in the form of a deposit and at the end you still handed the car back owing nothing or having any equity. The deposit varied with the model. I do remember one period when Vauxhall wanted to push Astra they offered a basic Astra Auto with no deposit and that had a high take up. We sometimes had to have cars adapted for their driver and the DHSC paid for that. 

always fun when your idly doing some research and come across a result that makes you go "come again?!"

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2020-11-16-00_35_24.thumb.png.451a9e1c8ba368112ecf98ff8269629e.png

colour change in question happened in 1985 apparently, really do wonder if it genuinely was painted red and if so what did the DHSS think of that LOL or if its just a DVLA error

image.thumb.png.7c8f5eb23129a8f75fcca88aebf60d1a.png

I always assumed these where DVLA errors, but a while back when I discovered carbaba.co.uk actually gives colour change info

(something my special tool never does despite it having a colour change counter)

I ran a few other odd coloured Model 70's to see what carbaba made of them and some of them did actually have recorded colour changes from Blue to Bronze etc, so the DVLA did have their correct/origial colour recorded at one point until it was manually changed,

it  could still be DVLA cock ups mind, as I can see some clerk at the DVLA miss reading blue for bronze or  selecting bronze from the colour menu when updating a V5 for whatever reason etc, but I do wonder if someone really painted their Model 70 Bronze or Red! or not LOL

for example here is UPK465M

image.thumb.png.e1b41fbae071f5a13a3f03899011d868.png

and RTW631M

image.thumb.png.417a3e6c2ca721a3abf70d427718b67e.png

(the other funny coloured recorded on the DVLA Model 70's I know of dont show colour changes)

I do believe colour info is stored in coded form, and decoded via a look up table, which is why you never see any typo's in a vehicles colour etc

as such the DVLA clerk would be selecting a vehicles colour from a pre made list rather then manually typing it (and alphabetically Bronze and blue would be near each other)

(but as with the vehicle make codes this is just speculation on my part from all the DVLA research I have done)

in LightBulb news I now finally have both of my US C7 Christmas light sets fully operationally after about 6 years since I got the sent the 2 sets from a fellow collector in the US in December 2014 :) 

image.thumb.png.8b5661fbe629e7e16550410c8b940f5a.png

I got it then with 25 spare bulbs, and it turns out in a month you go through about 24 bulbs, so I never put them up again as I did not have any spare bulbs for it, but I finally bit the bullet and ordered 4 sets of 25 spares from the US earlier this month, put it off for so long as it was quite expensive about £70 all in all, the actual bulbs themselves where only £16 for the 100!

the pile of bulbs you see are the dead pulls and the open box on the left contains all the working translucent ones I pulled (the set was originally an opaque set, but the 25 spares I got where lacquered bulbs like an indicator bulb, so pleased to be able to return the sets to 1 uniform finish)

and before anyone asks its 2 sets of 25 connected together, does not look like it but there is 250W worth of Christmas lights here, so no sadly I cant drive around with REV covered in them as she only has a 240W Dynastarter! LOL

and of course after I post this I noticed I have missed another dead one, always the case LOL

2 hours ago, martc said:

indeed I have :) but I appreciate the heads up :) 

here is a higher res picture of the lineup of Invalid vehicles :)

Invacars.jpg

13 minutes ago, martc said:

How about this one, from the same site?

invacars.jpg

yep :) once more here is a higher res version

29561337205_3ee1d060db_h.jpg

and from a different angle, I think the same day but different race wish there was a video, that would be much fun to watch

image.png

(notice NTW532C in both shots, which shows up on the DVLA!)

48 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Hi LBF , just catching up with the thread again . Lots to read as always .

is that invacar race line up photo taken at Crystal Palace ? , it looks like it from the stonework arches in the background.

happy to hear there are people still reading and catching up on this thread :) 

I imagine most people are like "its been a while since iv checked LBF's thread out think I was on page 50 last time" *opens thread, sees its now on page 165*  at which point they just nope right out of it LOL

indeed I do believe it was taken at Crystal palace, quite likely an invalid tricycle association event but i dont know for sure

https://flic.kr/p/M3ezDF

Yes it is Crystal Palace park . The stonework jogged my memory , used to race around there on bicycles as kids .C30C78BE-06AA-4B1E-BCDA-960961DC6A7D.thumb.png.b01eaaec5a573a60ec77ffbcbe64addf.png

I found a few videos on YouTube, invalid tricycle association . But I think they are from Richmond park and a few years before your model

car 34960F06-E990-40D0-A554-6C875D0B94AB.thumb.png.d2a3ae7c5e599e6bf817546ae259d970.png

Sorry I can’t do a proper link , there’s a few videos .

30 minutes ago, Jmac said:

Yes it is Crystal Palace park . The stonework jogged my memory , used to race around there on bicycles as kids .C30C78BE-06AA-4B1E-BCDA-960961DC6A7D.thumb.png.b01eaaec5a573a60ec77ffbcbe64addf.png

I found a few videos on YouTube, invalid tricycle association . But I think they are from Richmond park and a few years before your model

car 34960F06-E990-40D0-A554-6C875D0B94AB.thumb.png.d2a3ae7c5e599e6bf817546ae259d970.png

Sorry I can’t do a proper link , there’s a few videos .

Yeah I have seen and posted about ITA youtube videos a few times now :) 

they are quite handy for getting detailed shots of some of the rarer/older invalid carriages etc where few or no proper pictures exist

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

ah now thats brought back some early thread memories! came across it about couple years ago now (blimey) pretty early on this thread, not sure I posted about it or saved the photographs so good to have the link again :) 

I do wonder what happened to it...

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

Found this as well... didn't know about the student protest in Coventry...
https://youtu.be/OI2ErPAoYMk

ah yeah that is another one from fairly early on in the thread it was quite useful in my early research into the number plates Model 70's wore due to MPL340L, which helped me figure out that Model 70's did stay on white on black plates until they where forced onto retroreflective plates on the 1st of January 1973 :) 

image.thumb.png.03944fe19a9423d8dc9b22a0e3df7ba2.png

On 30/03/2019 at 13:52, LightBulbFun said:

aye yeah iv seen it before but I appreciate you sharing just incase I had not :)

its always nice to look at some invacars in period time :)

its interesting that theres a Mk12 there, being collage age people, they prolly would of only fairly recently been issued an invalid tricycle, so I imagine they would of all gotten Model 70s as that was the current Model in 1974-1975

(its also interesting to see, and you can see the same in the football photograph, that the Last ones with white on black number plates where the L plate ones, I wonder if DW will get a correct set of plates made up for TWC at some point? :) )