LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

just a heads up for @bobdisk  @somewhatfoolish  @Cavcraft @wuvvum and whoever else at some point expressed interest in wanting a Model 70 but has not yet found one (sorry if I have forgotten to tag you explicitly)

well looks like @OliD-E may be flogging his 2 https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3189880944388179/

it would be nice to see them remain in the fold :) he has informed me that he is best contacted via his email: oliverdacostaevans@gmail.com

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

just a heads up for @bobdisk  @somewhatfoolish  @Cavcraft @wuvvum and whoever else at some point expressed interest in wanting a Model 70 but has not yet found one (sorry if I have forgotten to tag you explicitly)

well looks like @OliD-E may be flogging his 2 https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3189880944388179/

it would be nice to see them remain in the fold :) he has informed me that he is best contacted via his email: oliverdacostaevans@gmail.com

I know @BorniteIdentity is pretty desperate to own one so he can join in with all the Invacar bantz.

21 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh, didn't realise that the fella who bought Zelandeth's old one is the same chap who bought the rotten, original one which lived on a small island or whatever it was. I'd say Cavette will need to be quick if he wants to snap them up before someone else marches in. 

37 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Seems quite confusing soz, how much does he want for it, please?

yeah not the best advert in the world I dunno how much he wants for it sadly, I think he is just feeling things out...

but I just wanted to make people aware of it

my aim of the game here is just try my best to ensure they go to a good home :) 

from what I do personally know about them, KPL139P has a good chassis but has most of the bodywork and drive train missing, however TPE376S has good bodywork and a sound drive train

but its chassis is utterly fucking fucked m8 big time (spending 40 years on the Isle of Skye/the shetland islands will do that to anything sadly)

(KPL139P was the Model 70 @Zelandeth used to mechanically restore TPA, which was the spares car that @dollywobbler used to mechanically restore TWC, its entire conga line of Model 70's donating its parts to the next LOL),

so a very much a project, but you could make a good Model 70 out of the 2 I think...

33 minutes ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Oh, didn't realise that the fella who bought Zelandeth's old one is the same chap who bought the rotten, original one which lived on a small island or whatever it was. I'd say Cavette will need to be quick if he wants to snap them up before someone else marches in. 

Yeah same chap :) 

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Bet the Walkers nab 'em! (Or Barry Lee)

yeah sadly Id not be surprised if that happens, where they will most likely just get resold for profit to who know who!

at least @OliD-E has been honest about why he is selling them, from what he has told me its that 1990s cars is more his thing and he would like to sell them to get work done his metro, and has a feeling they will just sit around doing nothing otherwise

which is fair enough and he at least got TPE376S to the mainland once more which im very happy about :) reminds me a lot of @dollywobbler and his Tercel 

(tho that reminds me im pretty sure @Sealtainn joked or maybe seriously expressed interest in one at one point which is ironic given according to his profile he lives on the shetland islands!)

I just hope whatever happens they end up in a good home and ideally return to the road once more

27 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Good luck for tomorrow, @LightBulbFun 

25 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

This.  You've come a long way since you started this thread!

thanks I very much appreciate the support :) 

I have been some "last minute" reading, brushing up on certain things etc, and stumbled across this somehow which made for quite an interesting read 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/guidance-for-driving-examiners-carrying-out-driving-tests-dt1/01-the-practical-driving-test-and-extended-test-for-cars

as a side note, its funny im not too worried if I fail myself per-say if that makes sense, (if I fail I just practice some more hope I dont run out of money and hope I can book another test in good time) but im not sure what peoples expectations are im worried if I fail id be letting them down LOL

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

but im not sure what peoples expectations are im worried if I fail id be letting them down LOL

Don't worry about what other people may or may not expect; that's not important. This is for you. If it's a pass, that'll be great, but if it isn't, then never mind; just learn from what didn't go well and aim to cover it off next time. Learning to drive is not a competition, but a useful skill being learned and honed, which will be useful for a lifetime.

All the best for it tomorrow and whatever happens, don't forget to take a photo of the car you used, afterwards! :-)

im back, and sadly its a fail

I got a good way through the test 28 minutes if I had made it 10 more id of passed apparently! ah well

failed because there was a car (Jaguar E type of all things!) that had parked on a junction, I was turning right at and I pulled up behind him as I thought he was just waiting to go, but no he had actually stopped (I think to either pick someone up or drop em off at the train station it was next to) and by the time I realised he was not moving it was too late and I had clogged up the junction etc

annoying thing is just as I went to back up and go around, he moved off! (but Im pretty sure I had already failed at that point)

I thought he had just stopped and was waiting to go through the junction as per any other car because he still had his engine running and lights on etc, but I should have noticed how close he was to the kerb and the line of correctly parked cars further up the road!

heres the test marks I got, only 6 minors at least which im told was pretty good given how far into the test I was (serious faults is what I failed on, and driving faults is my minors)

image.thumb.png.50a90519e16451af6afdf03d885c7aba.png

it seems like it was just an unfortunate set of circumstances that made me come unstuck, im glad at least it was not something like me pulling out on someone or something such, for next time I need to make sure I pay better attention in regards to how close a car is to the kerb and if theres normally parked cars ahead of it!

(and im happy I managed to get through most of the test without fluffing it up, rather then failing 5 minutes in LOL)

also pleased that what I did fail on was none of things I was actually worried about that I might fail on LOL

currently thinking what to do/I should do will discuss it with mum of course when she is available later today

suggestions etc are welcome if anyone has any good ideas

47 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I'm sorry to hear this @LightBulbFunI can imagine how disappointed you must be. 

47 minutes ago, egg said:

Well done, good effort. Unbelievable - a Jag E Type! There's a story you can tell one day. Re-group and re-try.

40 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

First thing, don't worry about it, it just doesn't matter.  Get another one booked and get some more practice in, you will be a lot more confident next time.  

thanks, yeah not best pleased, but currently thinking what I should with regards to lessons, I did finally grow a pair and talk to my instructor about what I dont like, how he gets frustrated easily and how that can put me in a bad state of mind 

on the him getting frustrated thing I did explain to him say rather then for example: just saying "gosh!, we have done this before!" just to please calmly  explain to me again that I was not supposed to do that etc what it is Im supposed to do etc, and you may have to explain it a few times!

because I dunno if its just me, but I find you can explain something to do me, and I will get it then and there, but when im on the road and come to it again i sometimes struggle to recall properly etc and it does take a good few explanations/trys to finally get it proper memorised/muscle memorised if that makes sense

and I did also ask him about changing instructors, he said thats perfectly cool and completely up to you but he did mention if I did change I cant then come back to him if say all the other instructors I find are horrible, so I have to keep that in mind

but im also wondering if changing instructor would do me any good, it was not like something happened that I was not taught about, it was just an unfortunate specific situation/set of things that just caught me out (my instructor had mentioned in past lessons to pay attention to how close someone is to the kerb etc when trying to decide if they are parking up or parked up etc) 

and my instructor said dont blame yourself completely and said that part of the blame falls to him since in that he said that he also failed since he is here to get me through the test and he failed at that, he recommend perhaps dropping the lessons down to once a week and I dont think he thinks I need that many more lessons, but did not say much specifically (but he did ask me how quickly will they let you rebook these days which is 10 days, although im not sure how that is with CV19 etc)

my instructor did warn me that other instructors might not care if the pupil passes or fails or does well, it seems instructor does care about me and how I do etc, but he just gets frustrated a little bit to easily etc and that does not work with me if that makes sense

one thing the driving test I have taken confirms that at least my speed is not the big worry I thought it was and my I think my instructor just expects people to go that little bit quicker then normal LOL

I have tentatively booked another lesson on next Tuesday but have not confirmed anything solid yet, I still want to see what yall feedback is on it, and what my mum etc has to say about it all

if I do go ahead with the lesson it will be interesting to see if he takes onboard what I said etc

on the test fail I am currently trying to see if I can locate the junction on google maps, so you all can judge for yourself, ill post when/if i can find it 

on thing I was happy about that I managed not to balls up, was we had pulled up to the test centre parked in the bay on the road, and while we where waiting by the test centre door for the examiner, someone pulled up and parked right i front of "my" car, meaning right at the start of the test I could not just drive forward, but instead I had to reverse a little bit then pull forward 

and im pleased I managed to do that smoothly and without error, especially as this specific scenario was not one I had done/practiced before, and my instructor was pleased i was able to pull it off

(he did ask the guy in the car to move, but the guy refused to do so)

Well done on your efforts LBF. Many people don't pass first time and it really isn't an issue. Use it as a stepping stone to the next go. Good work too on not letting the person who blocked you in faze you. 

As for changing instructor, it all depends on your confidence. Do you want the comfort of continuing to learn with someone who you know well and presumably trust? Or does his attitude outweigh the positives? There are plenty of good alternative instructors out there. As we always find in primary education, individual teaching styles can have a huge influence on a pupil. 

2 hours ago, Dick Van Diesel said:

Well done on your efforts LBF. Many people don't pass first time and it really isn't an issue. Use it as a stepping stone to the next go. Good work too on not letting the person who blocked you in faze you. 

As for changing instructor, it all depends on your confidence. Do you want the comfort of continuing to learn with someone who you know well and presumably trust? Or does his attitude outweigh the positives? There are plenty of good alternative instructors out there. As we always find in primary education, individual teaching styles can have a huge influence on a pupil. 

thanks

yeah its something to think about, I dont think ill be able to book another test for a good little bit now not until they clear the current backlog sadly

and as I think its a bit late in the game to go changing instructors, im thinking of just continuing with my current instructor, but  sort of coast until and as he said just do 1 lesson a week i can book another test if that makes sense?

it will be interesting to see if he has taken onboard what I said

but I am open to suggestions or ideas etc and I have plenty of time I think to decide (as mention iv tentatively agreed on next Tuesday for another lesson, but nothings set in stone yet)

It must be disappointing that today's outcome wasn't a pass, but has been said above, learn from the experience and book yourself another test. It is good news though that the things you were worried might be issues for you in the test, turned out not to be the case. Focus on the areas identified for improvement and practise those. Sitiational awareness can be practised without a car. Go for a walk down your street and observe the surroundings. See how cars are parked. Watch how people walk around the pavements and cross the road. Ask yourself what possible hazard situations can arise and think about how you can deal with them.

Something your instructor might be able to do with you is a commentary drive. This is when you give a running commentary out loud on what you are doing, the situations you observe around you and how you are responding to these. Check out Youtube for examples. It is a technique that can help you structure the way you observe the space and situations through which you are driving, to help you anticpate and respond to other road users and hazards in good time. I have done these for work and found them useful.

With regard to instructors, personally I'd stick with the one you have already. I would ask him though to take you through all the items on the 'fault' list and practise these until you can deal with them all easily and with confidence.

Do book your next test soonest, though!