LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, Chips got! :)

LightBulbFun

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats because its not an invalid carriage, to me it looks like some sort of Edwardian Cycle car, and thats more @barrett's area of expertise then mine! :)

The guy supposedly lost leg/s and had this to get around,.   I would say it was in a way an invalid carriage or at least to him it was 

23 minutes ago, garbaldy said:

The guy supposedly lost leg/s and had this to get around,.   I would say it was in a way an invalid carriage or at least to him it was 

in that case it could be some sort of European/foreign contraption, but thats getting out of the scope of what I know/focus on sadly

it could even be home made! like the greek invalid carriage that someone spotted in a period photo a while back, but the one in your photo looks a bit too refined to be home made IMHO

22 minutes ago, Christine said:

jolly_farmer_1280.jpg

thats quite the striking photograph! not one I have seen before, :) looks like it came from here https://www.henniker.scot/craigmillar-niddrie-and-portobello-areas

seems like a fair few eye catching black and white invalid vehicle photos have come out of the woodwork recently :) 

I don't know what it is, but my guess is that it's based on something older. There are lots of idiosyncratic features which might help identify it but it's certainly not something I've ever seen before. Engine is slung under the very front of the chassis. The way the exhaust pipe sits it could be a vertical single-cylinder motor. Chain drive to a countershaft (with the starting handle on the countershaft) and then double chain final drive to a fixed gear on each side of the rear wheel. I guess the vertical lever on the side is the gear-change lever whcih engages one or other chain. Doesn't appear to have any front suspension at all. All very interesting but completely unknown to me I'm afraid.

7 hours ago, Asimo said:

Bournemouth

Page 181 is when that one first showed up here, tis a good shot :) 

theres a fair few Bus and Invacar shots like this, (at one point I put together a small montage) it would be lots of fun to recreate at some point :) 

51 minutes ago, Christine said:

images.jpeg.jpg.7abcc85096efabe0b5d58d63e0c7d3ce.jpg

ooh nice! not a photo I have seen before :) looks like UAR951S, part of the very first S Suffix Model 70 block UAR879S-UAR978S, Ian Hellings very first Model 70 is a UAR-S machine :) 

194615583_3830474573687512_562657580757368244_n.thumb.jpg.3097e249070289d2cf4eef4b5a467978.jpg

image.thumb.png.ac4f6dc677467dca9b54ba7369322488.png

(and a bonus maxi for @keef)

10 minutes ago, Christine said:

Not 500 yds from where they serviced and repaired them!  You'll find  a bigger version of the pic on Tonbridge facebook . 

hah I was just in the process of posting the full rez version (well as full res as the forum will allow) when you left the second comment :)

not a picture i had seen before so the first thing I did was immediately went and dug up the full rez version for my archives :) 

https://www.facebook.com/TonbridgeLibraries/posts/pfbid02CGHZKJHd68rawSGxYUstjJb8YwzbsLrZcbDmtS7krhg9jHoq87hbKjVyNo5rwjYol

26 minutes ago, Christine said:

You could just google 36 pictures of Broadstone  years gone by... Daily Echo ,   and find it yourself ! 

This one @Christine?

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15804121.gallery-36-pictures-broadstone-years-gone/#gallery3

Broadstone135.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.67c3f64cb9959ea2ca29a874895debdc.jpg

Please, sir!  Is it a Tippen Delta Mr @LightBulbFun?  I have been doing my homework!

Yes , SADLY it must have lived there , i think there's another shot  but  different cars next to it ..Or the  owner was sadly dead slow getting his shopping with a gammy leg  or something.

SADLY,notice the street light went missing from outside International /Sommerfields in Tonbridge ..sadly just a rubbish  bin now 

16 minutes ago, CaptainBoom said:

This one @Christine?

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15804121.gallery-36-pictures-broadstone-years-gone/#gallery3

Broadstone135.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.67c3f64cb9959ea2ca29a874895debdc.jpg

Please, sir!  Is it a Tippen Delta Mr @LightBulbFun?  I have been doing my homework!

Tis indeed a Tippen Delta, a Delta 4 or Delta 5 to be more specific :) 

(note the 16 inch wheels but glass side windows, celluloid side "windows" would make it a Delta 3, and 12 inch wheels would make it a Delta 6 or 7 :) )

speaking of eye catching black and whites, got a couple more football ones, I wish I could find a higher res version of this full lineup picture, I know its from a pinterest post, but reverse google image search aint coughing anything up sadly 

d392767f04239dec856fb9317ca79d4d.jpg.4f268b747b6237e8c94eb73979a1a1f4.jpg

and this lone Mk12 picture (separate from the above photo AFAIK!)

FZWZezbXwAEIV5z.thumb.jpeg.face7931df2c91c86b41e40e27fc06d7.jpeg

reminds me a lot of this Picture from Page 165 :) almost like a predecessor to it, from 1 Bobby and a Mk12, to a whole gaggle of them and a Model 70 :) 

123019171_3089343817959023_7633899001964678758_n.jpg

a post for anyone following my DVLA research side of things

someone on eBay is flogging a shed load of old 1970's-1980's V5's for Various Tractors mainly

and I noticed an interesting special note on a few of them that I have not seen before, and I wonder if anyone might know what it might mean?

s-l1600-13.thumb.jpg.20551fb3920a7a571965f1c5b81db5f7.jpg

s-l1600-14.thumb.jpg.96008e981b70791ee78dc8de188acab1.jpg

"Declaration required on Next change of keeper" what exactly are they asking for here is what im scratching my head over

like a declaration of what exactly?!

wonder if any of the people who had to deal with this sort of stuff in period might remember what it was about exactly?

(esp as its not something thats normally present)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

a post for anyone following my DVLA research side of things

someone on eBay is flogging a shed load of old 1970's-1980's V5's for Various Tractors mainly

and I noticed an interesting special note on a few of them that I have not seen before, and I wonder if anyone might know what it might mean?

s-l1600-13.thumb.jpg.20551fb3920a7a571965f1c5b81db5f7.jpg

s-l1600-14.thumb.jpg.96008e981b70791ee78dc8de188acab1.jpg

"Declaration required on Next change of keeper" what exactly are they asking for here is what im scratching my head over

wonder if any of the people who had to deal with this sort of stuff in period might remember what it was about exactly?

(esp as its not something thats normally present)

I remember seeing that at one time.  I think it was just DVLC speak, reminding the new keeper to fill in the changes section. 

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I remember seeing that at one time.  I think it was just DVLC speak, reminding the new keeper to fill in the changes section. 

Interesting, just to confirm, are you sure your not thinking of the later special note that all 1978~ V5's onwards had ?

s-l1600 (15).jpg

most original 1974-1978 V5's I have seen until now, did not have anything in the special notes section

s-l1600 (30).jpg

so yeah its got me wondering!

you could still be right, that was indeed my first thought "is it a reminder to keeper change" but as above not all old V5's have it...

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Interesting, just to confirm, are you sure your not thinking of the later special note that all 1978~ V5's onwards had ?

s-l1600 (15).jpg

most original 1974-1978 V5's I have seen until now, did not have anything in the special notes section

s-l1600 (30).jpg

so yeah its got me wondering!

you could still be right, that was indeed my first thought "is it a reminder to keeper change" but as above not all old V5's have it...

Dunno M8.  I have seen the "Declaration required" thing but didn't ever pay it much attention.  I would guess that the People in Charge realised that it needed a bit more explanation.   As you say, not all old V5s have it, but I think given the number of documents involved there would be more than one printer in use and they were perhaps not all working from the same template - it could just be something quite boring really.

On 8/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, Asimo said:

Bournemouth

And sadly you posted that the day after Yellow Buses ceased trading for ever after 120 years. I mentioned it in bus shite but got no response. Is it only me who cares? Maybe because I'm localish. 

I just can't imagine Bournemouth without its yellow buses. It's just going to look like anywhere else now. Some of the routes are being taken over by More Buses (aka Go Ahead, formerly Wilts and Dorset) but you get blue and red  buses everywhere. I just can't imagine Bournemouth without its lines of Yellow Buses parked up around the city centre. Sad face. 

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Could it be as mentioned above a gentle reminder specific to farmers to declare a change in ownership? As many tractors spend most of their time off road there may have been a spate of agricultural vehicles being sold on without the DVLA being informed. Tractors are not obviously road vehicles in the sense that a car, or in Lightbulbfuns example a VW Camper, is where filling in a change of ownership declaration is all part of the routine selling procedure.

1 hour ago, Mr Pastry said:

Dunno M8.  I have seen the "Declaration required" thing but didn't ever pay it much attention.  I would guess that the People in Charge realised that it needed a bit more explanation.   As you say, not all old V5s have it, but I think given the number of documents involved there would be more than one printer in use and they were perhaps not all working from the same template - it could just be something quite boring really.

well thats the thing the "template" would be the blank V5, everything worded/typed in black type on the dithered blue background, will be from the computer, stored in coded form and decoded back out via a lookup table any time someone requests the data in human readable format (ie via an online tool or printing out a V5 etc)

that includes special notes, on the back end they are just another flag, which is then decoded out

so that special note will be something tied to the computer system/that vehicles specific record, and thus nothing to do with the printer/whoever printed off the V5, so the fact that its not on EVERY V5 of the time period makes me think it must be something to do with that specific vehicle record or vehicle type etc

a prime example of this is the "used before first registration with the DVLA" marker, the flag itself has existed for many years, but what it decodes to via the lookup table has changed over time

back in the day it used to say "Previously registered and/or used prior to date of registration shown above" and now it just says "was registered and/or used"

On 22/05/2021 at 02:48, LightBulbFun said:

and finally I always felt that the wording that Used/re-registered/imported vehicles got in their special notes section felt incomplete to me

image.png.8882c224b34b48f82ee4a17a9fd8651e.png

the wording seemed weird to me "was registered and/or used" 

so I have wondered if in the past there was more to it that for some reason got lopped off, but I have never come across an old 1980's V5 of such a vehicle to compare to

until now where I finally came across an old V5 of such a re-registered vehicle and indeed my hunch was correct their was more wording at one time :) 

1593675010_s-l1600(56).thumb.jpeg.387f80b13387c7ba3ee7cc347bee2662.jpeg

"Previous Registered And/Or used prior to date of first registration show above" suddenly makes a lot more sense/sounds a lot better

I wonder why the wording was truncated like it is now, was it intentional or was it a computer glitch of some kind?

the only thing i can think of is the fact a modern V5 does not show the date of first registration on the first page "above" but they could of still amended the wording to simply "date of first registration shown" 

29 minutes ago, martc said:

Could it be as mentioned above a gentle reminder specific to farmers to declare a change in ownership? As many tractors spend most of their time off road there may have been a spate of agricultural vehicles being sold on without the DVLA being informed. Tractors are not obviously road vehicles in the sense that a car, or in Lightbulbfuns example a VW Camper, is where filling in a change of ownership declaration is all part of the routine selling procedure.

I do wonder if its something Tractor specific, at first I wondered if it had anything to do with the ""Exempt (Sec 7(1) VE ACT)" taxation class

perhaps that taxation class needed some sort of declaration to stay with a keeper change, but then I saw a couple other Tractor V5's with the same declaration special mark, and they where just in the regular agricultural machine taxation class which I know does not need any sort of special declaration AFAIK? 

this exempt taxation class is another one Im curious about, that im not entirely sure about

I seem to have it in my head that its the £NIL taxation class for limited use vehicles (ie a Farmers Land rover only going on road to go between fields) but I cant recall where I got that info from, its worth noting that it goes back to the buff logbook days as per this picture

s-l1600-16.thumb.jpg.7a99a2b82c62d71be54a9ba758305c64.jpg