LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

On 4/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, Harriytait said:

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Yeah I closed my account.

Just keep in mind that the HP2020 seems to be vastly cheaper in the US than here.  Even including shipping when I got mine it was about half the price from Rock Auto than buying from anywhere on the UK/EU I could find.

14 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

That looks more like fire damage. A good source of spares though, assuming things like the interior and headlights haven't been wrecked. 

yeah! its surprising there is anything left if indeed there was an engine fire, I was always told that when a fibreglass car catches fire they just go up completely! 

indeed, it looks like theres an engine still there, and most forward body panels look to be intact (you could probably even salvage the roof and rear end with some fibreglass work)

and what little of the dashboard I can see looks to be intact as well :) 

4 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Not sure if the headlights and interior are left!

A Model 70 does not have much in the way of an Interior in the first place, you get a headliner on the Post March 1976 Model 70's (the Mark C's as I call em although they where never officially designated such) 

and apart from the dashboard and seat, thats all you got in the way of an interior!

not worried about headlamps, as those are just your standard 7 inch items, :) 

id be a bit more worried on something like a Pre 7 inch Standard specification car, like a Mk12c, Metal AC, Tippen Delta Mk7 or Stanley Harper, which have 5 inch head lamps and im not sure if those are readily available, im not even sure what size they are exactly if its 5 inches or 5.something inches!

but in this case its a Model 70 so nothing to worry about :) 

speaking of the Pembrokeshire Model 70 

I just got off the phone with the chap who is responsible for it

he is up for having it saved, but obviously warned me, that it is pretty sad and its also quite buried in the field so excavating it could be interesting!

he only wants scrap value for it, which is entirely fair enough :) 

now to somehow get it saved!

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

now to somehow get it saved!

been thinking about how to go about this

Its in Pembrokeshire, I have its postcode

in terms of how long we have to save it, he says the site is going to Auction at the end of Summer, so we have a little bit of time to plan things at least

and that attempting the rescue around summer time is probably best when the ground is nice and dry

the only issue is how to physically get it out of where it is, I dont know if theres any sort of heavy machinery at the site to drag it out of there

nor do I know where exactly it is on site, (I think I can see it from google earth but its hard to say) 

@worldofceri have you gotten a Hiab yet? LOL

When talking about saving it are you thinking back on the road or just getting parts off it to keep others on the road?

From the pictures that looks to be too far gone to be on the road again, and the limited pool of people who want to save an invacar for the love of it could probably find a better place to start.

Appreciate the passion but you can't save 'em all.....

in other Invalid Carriage news

LFB209

On 28/01/2022 at 17:59, LightBulbFun said:

it seems to be the season for Invalid carriages on ebay, as well as the lot that @OldBlokeInACaravan has been selling

a petrol powered Harding has also popped up :) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353877562438

s-l1600-16.thumb.jpg.4e663738ad39cbc3c272eddcd126d8f7.jpg

quite pleased to find this one actually, as I found it many moons ago and noted that it had a Daylight MOT, but ever since then I could not figure out which of the many IC's that was one was (there have been times when I have needed to give an example of a Daylight MOT) glad to have finally found again which one it was!

2119772600_Screenshot2022-01-28at17_52_09.thumb.png.626b2905bffb2d81cb972937b0d92d9e.png

however an Invalid carriage, is a vehicle which is not MOTable/should be MOT'ed

although a number have been MOT'ed (and subsequently robbed of their number plate which should not have been allowed as DVLA rules state you can only rob the number plate off a vehicle which has to go through an MOT, which is why you never see plate robbed milk floats thankfully for example)

im guessing they manage to get MOT'ed because they just get chucked in as a Tricycle and the MOT men not knowing their own rules! 

On 12/03/2022 at 19:53, LightBulbFun said:

just idly checking things, and was pleasently surprised to find that LFB209 has had a fresh V5c issued and is now Taxed and insured!

1539358283_Screenshot2022-03-12at19_43_23.thumb.png.8cb7f26e7508bec62f7cd3dd5bbd0e9f.png

835509268_Screenshot2022-03-12at19_44_56.png.0214016580217d2232156ea434aea460.png

I sadly dont know who bought it, but id like to think its now being used on the road, baffling the locals somewhere :) 

speaking of baffling, @JJ0063 you work in the insurance industry right? can you explain this one? LOL

846607256_Screenshot2022-03-12at19_44_23.png.f30e676589bb2a61b13988ae7d65f097.png

is back on eBay! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275265879092

1173126844_s-l1600-16copy3.thumb.jpg.1c97c759a05c6897e88482ba30fd9c7e.jpg

now £832 more expensive... but hey at least you get a wicker basket now for the weekly shopping run :) 

17 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

When talking about saving it are you thinking back on the road or just getting parts off it to keep others on the road?

From the pictures that looks to be too far gone to be on the road again, and the limited pool of people who want to save an invacar for the love of it could probably find a better place to start.

Appreciate the passion but you can't save 'em all.....

either or!

at this point in time I just want to get it out of there and plonked somewhere safe

then it can be gone over and figure out of its broken for parts or restored

it does look pretty sad, but Model 70's are robust machines and I have seen worse Model 70's then this restored

the big question for me is which one is it exactly, is it another Ministry car or is it private example? :) (the chances of it being the later are very small,  only about 20~ private Model 70's where made out of 18150 Ministry model 70's, so if it is a private Model 70 then it would be worth the effort to salvage rather then break for parts Id say)

I know @AdgeCutler wants a Model 70 and we have all seen the extremely impressive work he has done with his Invacar Mk12 :) 

14 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

I'm planning to visit that Pembrokeshire site at some point. I'm in touch with the owner of the site.

Ah awesome! I was just thinking about messaging you about it :)

I trust you remember where to find the Chassis stamped chassis number if the chassis plate is missing yah? :) 

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Yup, should be all good. Was wondering about the Invacar myself, but I think one is enough.

Awesome! might be a good idea to bring some sand paper with you to gently scrub away and crud thats built up!

and yeah thats what I was going to message you about! think about all the youtube views :)

a Fire damaged Invacar to go with the Fire damaged Oltcit! LOL, or His and Hers Model 70's? :) 

but on a slightly more serious note, even if its temporary it would be good to have it somewhere safe while Its future is figured out :) 

55 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the only issue is how to physically get it out of where it is, I dont know if theres any sort of heavy machinery at the site to drag it out of there

Get @Mrs6C to drive over there on the tractor.  If she leaves now she should be able to get to Pembrokeshire before the end of the summer.

21 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Get @Mrs6C to drive over there on the tractor.  If she leaves now she should be able to get to Pembrokeshire before the end of the summer.

and I can tail in the JCB? although im actually not sure what sort of licence that requires LOL

I might not have all the juicy grandfathered rights, but I did at least get a Tractor entitlement when I passed my test, so I can at least pilot the Messy Ferguson legally LOL

18 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

Heavy machinery?  You'd be better off with a few drums of glyphosate.  

"in todays Harrys farm and Harrys Garage crossover special" LOL

Given it's been fire damaged it's likely to be a big ask to repair it.  Any of those areas that have been subjected to that much heat will have been very substantially weakened at best.  It looks like a fair chunk of the rear end bodywork is missing.

Good source of parts though.  Windscreen and at least one door worth of glass are worth having alone.

If it does end up as a parts car though (and they're still there...), dibs on the front corners!

Likewise the rear "bumper", though I fully expect that to be long gone.  They're usually smashed to hell even before fire's got involved!

Front hatch looks in way better condition than mine too...

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

been thinking about how to go about this

Its in Pembrokeshire, I have its postcode

in terms of how long we have to save it, he says the site is going to Auction at the end of Summer, so we have a little bit of time to plan things at least

and that attempting the rescue around summer time is probably best when the ground is nice and dry

nor do I know where exactly it is on site, (I think I can see it from google earth but its hard to say) 

@worldofceri have you gotten a Hiab yet? LOL

Do you have the financial and storage situation to make it happen?

On 13/04/2022 at 23:22, warren t claim said:

Do you have the financial and storage situation to make it happen?

the transport costs and where to stick it im not worried about, thats not a problem I have a plan for that

its physically getting it out of the ground that im not entirely sure how to go about LOL

but my goal is to not end up owning it, (although I will step in and save it if it ends up "homeless" as I almost did with the Invacar Mk12c and have done with the 1/4th of a Model 64)

but is to simply point and let the right people know about it so it can be rescued and go to a good home, or be suitably broken for parts if its too far gone and ensure that the parts find their way to the people who need them

there are generally enough people interested in wanting one of these, that you dont have to get that involved, just point the right people in the right direction and things will generally sort themselves out :) 

22 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

but is to simply point and let the right people know about it so it can be rescued and go to a good home, or be suitably broken for parts if its too far gone and ensure that the parts find their way to the people who need them

What's the definition of too far gone with one of these?

24 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Going up a week Sunday.  

Awesome! im very much looking forward to finally getting some proper details on this one as its been bugging me since 2018! BTW @AdgeCutler is very interested in the Model 70, and wants to go give it a poke as well, it might be worth dropping him a PM or such to see if you can combine manpower :) 

24 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Chap is a bit concerned about how difficult it might be to remove any cars - he reckon they've sunk into the ground. I'll report back.

I bet Stuart is getting Oddingley flashbacks right about now LOL (I was not kidding when I said the Mk12's there had to literally be unearthed!) 

199784155_792217358136943_6416383592098509038_n.thumb.jpg.275a173aa9e27ede5b725545459fe692.jpg

199823823_327539445444117_3221095920871418504_n.thumb.jpg.9e367d74eb066db965da243c8186fb6d.jpg

7 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

I’ve managed to escape reality and early this morning started to clean off the chassis of Brian the12e. I’ve now primered and even got the top side painted, hopefully it will tack off soon enough that I can flip it and gat some paint on the bottom side.

01707A74-D669-4DCE-A3B4-93654D455351.jpeg

FA80E307-9B26-407D-92C5-FB53A5390F26.jpeg

45C5EDE5-5A02-4101-8AD2-E6C86DC36E64.jpeg

Awesome to see more work going on with Brian! nice to see the chassis with a lick of paint :) 

I have said it before and ill say it again its seriously impressive and awesome the work you have done with this Mk12E! :)