LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

3 hours ago, Harriytait said:

Just as a heads up, this is the kind of condition I'm after. :)

2093991621_Photo07-03-2021144357.thumb.jpg.701308fd295fabd730dda749df82d6e3.jpg

2068447558_Photo07-03-2021144414.thumb.jpg.b79706e66a860e855e00c38d920c4f0f.jpg

I went to see this one. Too much body damage. Where it was lifted with a fork lift through the left door. The mark on the roof is crack where it has split, and the line above the right wheel the fork lift had scraped through it.

2 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

I went to see this one. Too much body damage. Where it was lifted with a fork lift through the left door. The mark on the roof is crack where it has split.

Wow I didn't know that, though I believe the gentleman has decided he no longer wants to sell it. 

49 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Are you staying with the re-routed green cable for now with a new twist grip? If so, when the time comes to want to fit the 'original' set you bought, it may be possible to  get the twist grip apart on the bench, with the aid of a pillar drill. The worst case there is that the 'original' twist grip gets broken in the process, in which case the cable can be extracted from its remains for use with a new twist grip.

for the time being indeed I plan to stay with the green cable and see if I can fit with the new twist grip to it

but I did/do want make sure the blue cable was to hand for when/if I need to fit it, as you say hopefully I should in theory be able to drill out the screws to get the twist grip off :) (I do need to get myself a good set of drill bits but I digress!)

46 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I think you mean 'it'. I blame Walt fucking Disney for shit like this.

LOL, blame ships in this case! ships are referred to in the female pronoun and thats just how I refer to all vehicles! even ones with obviously male names I still find myself referring to them in the female pronoun LOL

for example "awesome to hear you got more work done on Brian im glad to hear work on her is going well" LOL (although I do generally try and correct myself in such cases)

and if I see someone obviously referring to their car as "it" then likewise thats how I will call it

but thats a personal thing, you can refer to your or any vehicle however you like, im not about to tell you how you should call your own vehicles :) 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

LOL, blame ships in this case! ships are referred to in the female pronoun and thats just how I refer to all vehicles! even ones with obviously male names I still find myself referring to them in the female pronoun LOL

for example "awesome to hear you got more work done on Brian im glad to hear work on her is going well" LOL (although I do generally try and correct myself in such cases)

and if I see someone obviously referring to their car as "it" then likewise thats how I will call it

but thats a personal thing, you can refer to your or any vehicle however you like, im not about to tell you how you should call your own vehicles :) 

This is classic, your trying to apply goodwill to all men logic to level 7 bants, to save you wearing out your keyboard with florid replies the best bet is to offer up a strong rebuke, here is a typical template 'I do WTF I want (within reason), my model 70 is called Bessy so fight me on the beach, I'll be oiled up as per Charles Bronson so good luck grabbing on etc.

1 minute ago, Jikovron said:

This is classic, your trying to apply goodwill to all men logic to level 7 bants, to save you wearing out your keyboard with florid replies the best bet is to offer up a strong rebuke, here is a typical template 'I do WTF I want (within reason), my model 70 is called Bessy so fight me on the beach, I'll be oiled up as per Charles Bronson so good luck grabbing on etc.

Fuck off man, ya cock end. LBF will choke you out!

Go on Dez, lad! 👊🏻

4 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Thought you might like this one that is for sale in Norway now.

564_678298374.jpg

564_199171531.jpg

https://www.finn.no/mc/all/ad.html?finnkode=230440564

This is a French Monet Gyon invalid carriage these were built a lot for ww1 veterans and had Villers engines.

Nice! I mostly focus on British Invalid carriages, but iv seen a fair few foreign ones in my research, most are pretty ungainly looking but this one looks pretty good :) 

speaking of IC's in other countries, while digging through the hansard archives some more (a very handy archive that contains lot of interesting info on Invalid vehicles)

I came across a report which I find  very interesting and something that @Datsuncog may find interesting as well which is a report that gives a break down of all the Ministry invalid vehicles on issue in Northern Ireland from December1973 :)

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1973-12-20/debates/971cab65-5482-47db-9fc0-4f860843cb2d/InvalidVehicles

image.png.9584cae8219160a4fabd3995475a187d.png

its quite interesting to see the figures, and cool to see that a small number of Electric IC's where indeed issued in NI :)

theres no reason they would not be, but we knew that it was such a small "market" that we where not sure if there where any or not

I do still wonder if there where any Northern Ireland registered Fred Miller Tippen Delta's ie where any Electric Tippen Delta's issued to NI Post October 1974?

for those unaware, until the 1st of October 1974, all government  Invalid vehicles issued to NI where British registered, regardless of what went on with local governments and what have you, the Invalid vehicle Service was run as 1 big thing across NI Wales Scotland England 

(so a batch of cars would be for all countries across the entirety of the UK)

but on the 1st of October 1974 the DVLA replaced the Buff logbook scheme with the V5 computerised logbook  scheme, However NI did not do the same until 1986! so all Invalid vehicles bound for NI suddenly had to be registered separately locally in NI in Belfast  (they where sent over un-registered and only registered when issued, the Last Model 70 was not registered by the Ministry until April 1983! with CXI936!)

because you can take a Buff logbook and turn it into a V5 but you could not take a V5 and turn it into a buff logbook, (before that point both England and NI where on the same Buff logbook scheme so vehicles could go between places without having to re-register)

the thing is as above NI remained on the buff logbook scheme until finally computerising 1986! so for a Northern Ireland vehicle to be visible to me today  will need to have had to have survived until 1986 at the earliest which when talking about Electric Tippen Delta's especially given how few statically where issued to NI is a fairly long time to still survive by then

so I have sadly not been able to find any NI registered Ministry Tippen Delta's but I do wonder if there where any! the possibility for them to exist is there, since Electric Tippen Delta's remained in "production" until the very end of Ministry vehicle production in 1978

4 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

On the subject of transport this should fit in a large van. I’ve had a corsa in an Iveco Faily, and a Suzuki Cappucino in a MWB VW LT before anyway. 

Yep...LWB Transit will carry one comfortably.

IMG_20220114_022930.thumb.jpg.711540dc869fb20a820201fe28a1601f.jpg

Just make sure you have ramps on hand for loading... it's a right faff otherwise!

25 minutes ago, kirton said:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/169605-3-wheeled-vehicles-on-carflats/

who knows the answer to the questions raised here? 

Some will say bloody Invcars, you can't get away from them

Certainly there where many a 3 wheelers transported on carfit's! the Ministry's main method for transport invalid vehicles was by rail, so it was a common sight to see them transported by rail :) I dont know exactly how they where loaded however!

p378988676-3.jpg

p192987208-3.jpg.9254f1a4fd8f6d0962c8a8c53fbf0e91.jpg

p494369819-3.jpg.e050e88f244b2b264bb528a1355b966f.jpg

40205157315_31c145080f_h.thumb.jpeg.10b6d15affe1b5df83df95442b40ca99.jpeg

Ek8gSufWMAMkdEF.thumb.jpeg.aac1be34d55b2f7ed81fdc288873a690.jpeg

8680696188_194ec0e3a3_4k.thumb.jpg.9c0e29ee231ce729d38df828b105da70.jpg

3816531335_3f19d2b002_o.thumb.jpg.1cdd9eeb9010c465a74cc328104abece.jpg

6 minutes ago, barrett said:

Oh cool! I had not :) 

nice selection of photos

this one is particularly notable as in the background 

airfield-5.thumb.jpeg.6b306b0b28739487175cd814092339ba.jpeg

is a built under licence Samuel Elliot Invacar Mk6 :) (note the FDPxxx Reading registration mark)

On 20/08/2021 at 19:46, LightBulbFun said:

well continuing the the theme of Licence built Invacars

I was talking with Stuart about the Vernon to which he closed out saying  "one needs to find a Samuel Elliot-produced one for full bonus points "

to which he further went to say "Samuel Elliot of Reading Berkshire" which then upon seeing they where based in Reading Berkshire

I went Ooooh hang on a tick and pulled these 2 screen grabs I have :) 

image.thumb.png.ede358dae5256fca8bbd62f1dbaa213b.png

image.thumb.png.de68d2fb223402fa7d923bf89e1ed595.png

which was a Curious Invacar I had spotted in one of the British pathe Invalid tricycle Association videos a good while ago

It caught my eye because it was of non Essex registration and did not have the winged Invacar badge on the back, back in the day I wondered if it Was a Vernon but the registration mark did not line up Vernon Industries location

so at the time I had just chalked it up to perhaps a Private machine

but is a Reading mark which does lineup with where Samuel Elliot Ltd where based, so this combined with the lack of an Invacar Badge strongly points to this being a Samuel Elliot Licence built Invacar Mk6 :) 

It was very fascinating to learn about, I knew of Samuel Elliot Ltd from the Padwin Prototype of 1951

ic106.jpeg.14a52fa858b798317d40be8e1a3b2456.jpeg

but I had no idea that they had also built Invacars under licence like Vernon did :) 

and Stuart was very happy with my finds as like the Vernon no previous pictures where known (and even less is known of the Samuel Invacars than the Vernon Invacars)

have to admit to feeling very pleased with myself over these 2 recent Major Invacar finds :)  

would love to know if anyone else out there might be able to shed some more light on these licence built Invacars?

26 minutes ago, Yoss said:

You only need transport in one direction, surely you'll be driving it back! 

haha yeah! that idea was floated back when she was at the FoD :)  but I think im likely to have her transported back from wherever she has her work done*

given the limited driving experience I have, I would like to ideally gain a bit more driving experience before commencing such a trip

but I might be just self doubting myself, I mean I was pretty nervous before doing the trip to the chippy and back, but as I did It, everything came back to me and it was like "oh what was I worrying about" :) 

(until the indicator stalk fell off, that was a little hair raising as I was at a set of traffic lights grabbing ahold of the now lose stalk frantically trying to indicate right LOL)

but yeah, the current plan once she is fully functional is to do chippy runs and work my way up from there running around the local area and beyond until such that hopefully by the time of the first FoD gathering later this year I will be confident enough in myself and REV's reliability to attempt the trip to the FoD and back with REV (of course that depends on if I can even get REV fixed in time for the next FoD gathering!)

and then if the FoD run goes well, im pretty sure ill be confident enough in myself and REV that ill be able to go anywhere :) 

which is good, because I have accrued a number of lightbulbs and tubes with various shitters that I really need and want to go and pick up!

(the other issue with driving her back, is id have to get myself to where it is she is being fixed at, and I really dont get on well with public transport especially to relatively unknown places)

*unless of course I do end up having her fixed at a local garage in which case of course I have no problem with driving her back home! the above is only with regards to if I have her fixed at red5 or somewhere else distant

28 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

Invacars came up in conversation at dinner time today at work . A technician said yes there used to be a repair and maintenance garage for those things in Doncaster back in day . He did say garage name but I can't remember what it was , aparantly it's still there and open . 

ah cool! if you remember the name it would be good to know, who knows what Invacar bits and bobs they might have buried in the back plus any stories the old timers might have :) 

20 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Have you seen this one? The mention of an on-board ramp arrangement is interesting.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/11363053.invalid-vehicle/

I have seen the picture a fair few times but not the article :) 

the vehicle in the picture is just a bog standard AC All Weather Tricycle MoH Model 43

but the vehicle described sounds like an Invacar New Era, which remains one of the very few vehicles which could be controlled while still seated in a wheel chair

aaq205.thumb.jpeg.1a6a0d00213d6556e07e6a2560f76edf.jpeg

shown here is Derry Preston Cobb's personal New Era EHJ19 in its early days, which he had for many years, continuously fitted with upgrades until finally upgrading to a modified Model 70 :) 

aaq206.thumb.jpeg.753752c17be20ba385afd0cb5b6d266f.jpeg

very few Invacar New Era's where produced however