Jump to content

LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, Chips got! :)


LightBulbFun

Recommended Posts

How big is the boot , room for your Jack and at least one axle stand ,have you got any wheel chocks , or can you reverse up to the kerb behind your parking bay, slightly off square so one wheel is against the kerb but the other is far enough off to allow work on the other. Does the road have an extreme camber , if so turn the steering partially up hill and chocked ....

I personally wouldn't want to get under a car with a jack like yours , an old small trolley jack that looks so shit nobody would bother nicking it would be best to leave in a car ....

I assume that your full closure GPS tracking alarm is all working ūüėĀ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

(I dont want leave anything in the car as knowing my luck that will draw undue attention to her!)

I think the by the merit of being an Invacar in 2021 it is already on a 11/10 on the attention scale. Of course it depends on how valuable your jack looks...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish you well with this and I hope you haven't bitten off more than you can chew. 

Having the spare funds to buy a car is only half the story, it's the finances needed to maintain their upkeep as a daily that will drain your bank account and leave you heartbroken. My dream saloon is the Lancia Thema 8.32 with the Ferrari (NOT CAGIVA) engine and during the height of the pandemic I could have bought one using a government Bounce Back loan and achieved my dream. The sad reality is that even as a second car covering only a few thousand miles a year it would almost certainly require expensive specialist fettling that's beyond my abilities. I feared that something would fail meaning that it'd end up sitting rotting away on Claim_Bird's driveway developing even more issues due to inactivity.

I'm not suggesting that you sell REV but maybe explore the avenue of obtaining a council garage to store it in and buying a slightly more sensible daily driver? 

Anyway, here's a picture from Liverpool. 

lame1.PNG.c8fbab7d1db164faaa1c4d5b1a278636.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

espada1.thumb.PNG.6440f04ab0114dfeaf942eabfa565977.PNG

Although chalk and cheese, when I was 18 and still at school doing my A Levels I got my long awaited inheritance and decided to "invest" it in buying one of these from current YouTuber Ian Tyrell. My family went crazy at the thought of be blowing everything that Claim_Grandad had worked so hard for and after a nasty family argument I backed down.

With the benefit of hindsight, what the fuck was I thinking at the time? A fucking schoolboy trying to daily a 70s supercar???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

(I dont want leave anything in the car as knowing my luck that will draw undue attention to her!)

 

You do realise that more cars than not actually come with a jack as standard?! You having a little jack left either in the footwell or if it has some kind of boot space is not going to cause any extra attention to it. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

How big is the boot , room for your Jack and at least one axle stand ,have you got any wheel chocks , or can you reverse up to the kerb behind your parking bay, slightly off square so one wheel is against the kerb but the other is far enough off to allow work on the other. Does the road have an extreme camber , if so turn the steering partially up hill and chocked ....

I personally wouldn't want to get under a car with a jack like yours , an old small trolley jack that looks so shit nobody would bother nicking it would be best to leave in a car ....

I assume that your full closure GPS tracking alarm is all working ūüėĀ

boot is pretty big, only problem is its slightly full of engine! the Model 70 does not have any under cover storage facilities sadly

IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.c038b2bc3c3dd09aa16afd53fc83d19a.JPG

on the jack front I of course chock the wheels of the car and offload the car onto axle stands once I have it jacked up enough (I just keep the jack there slightly lowered as a backup should the axle stand fail)

17 hours ago, Sheefag said:

ooh thats nifty! although in my particular use case id be worried about flattening my battery and also how much it weighs, but its cool to see what options are out there tho :) 

on the Jack front I think I have managed to improvise a solution, that allows me to get a ratchet onto my existing jack, which should hopefully make life a bit easier! (as I then dont have to insert and remove the provided handle every half revolution or so!)

although It still remains to be tested in practice! after I have recovered, id quite like to get the road wheels and drums off and inspect the brake assemblies themselves and grab a few photographs, so we will see how it does then!

10 hours ago, warren t claim said:

I'm not suggesting that you sell REV but maybe explore the avenue of obtaining a council garage to store it in and buying a slightly more sensible daily driver? 

sadly it looks like the council want about a grand a year for a garage which I know I cant afford and I have no idea when or where id get one (I certainly know there aint many council lock up type garages in the local area, this is Central London after all!)

as for getting another, car its sadly a 1 car per resident here and I also cant afford a 2nd Car, mainly insurance would probably be another Grand+ for someone on my age no matter what I end up getting sadly which as above I know I cant afford (because I still have to be able to pay for REV's own insurance etc!)

trust me there has been plenty of roffles I have wanted to get tickets on but due to the aforementioned above I cant sadly

I knew from the outset that I cant run more then 1 car, however I also knew that if I did not make moves when I did, I would not be able to get a Model 70 in the future, I knew the ship was sailing and I was not going to let life take yet another one of my aspirations away from me hence why I have stood fast and done what I have done even if its far from recommended! :)

just right now my plan for things has not exactly gone to plan sadly as is often the way on these beige pages

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My first car was a Routemaster bus. I was 19 and didn't even have a driving licence, we had to rely on friends and public transport just to get to it. Just because something isn't practical or sensible doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. If it's what you want you should go for it (which you have). Everyone who is coming up with more sensible options is missing the point. 

 

There is plenty of room in that engine bay. One you're up and running it would be a good idea to carry a basic tool kit with you. It would be nice to strap it up out of the way somewhere but I'm guessing the body is single skinned so any hole you drilled in the engine bay would come out on the outside so not ideal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Yoss said:

There is plenty of room in that engine bay. One you're up and running it would be a good idea to carry a basic tool kit with you. It would be nice to strap it up out of the way somewhere but I'm guessing the body is single skinned so any hole you drilled in the engine bay would come out on the outside so not ideal. 

Yeah on the 2 trips I have managed so far, I have taken my metrinch toolset with me of course just incase!   indeed I am eager to avoid drilling any holes anywhere if I can help it 

23 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

I don‚Äôt think you help yourself tbh LBF, you frustrate me ūüėā

 

Surely you can see that engine bay would store the jack, you could even just lay it in there for storage purposes whilst the car isn’t going anywhere? 

 

32 minutes ago, chadders said:

Our C15 had the jack stored under the bonnet held in by a strap. Just looking at that picture you might be able to rig something up on the LHS if it's small enough.

yeah for storage purposes I might be able to stick something in the left hand side wheel arch area, but its also fairly open to the elements and id be worried about things kept there deteriorating because of it ill have a look next time im down there and see whats what

but I dont know if I can get a full sized trolly jack in there (not to mention it would be a bit of a bastard to lift up and down but I digress)

 

7 hours ago, Sheefag said:

You still can. Trouble is tiny engine and...

IMG_0131 2.JPG

that reminds me I was reminded on the zoom call last Tuesday that exhaust repair bandages exist like so https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-Gun-Gum-Repair-Bandage/dp/B004SN02F8

so am wondering if one would work for something like this? I notice the bandage looks quite large (they show it going over a muffler!) so I wonder can it be cut down to size if needed?

 

as a side note going back to when REV arrived home and I discovered her engine was massively overfull with oil I have to wonder if something like this has happened with her?

3 hours ago, Wack said:

What numbnuts had done was removed the sump plug , drained the oil , refilled it and given it back , only he'd drained the gearbox oil and filled the engine up so it had double the oil in it 

although its pretty obvious on a Model 70 where the engine sump plug is etc but I do wonder... guess we will see when I change the diff oil!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

that reminds me I was reminded on the zoom call last Tuesday that exhaust repair bandages exist like so https://www.amazon.co.uk/Holts-Gun-Gum-Repair-Bandage/dp/B004SN02F8

so am wondering if one would work for something like this? I notice the bandage looks quite large (they show it going over a muffler!) so I wonder can it be cut down to size if needed?

That will work as a temporary repair, though it's asking a lot of it in that location on the pipe.  You wind it round in a spiral with plenty of overlap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

ooh thats nifty! although in my particular use case id be worried about flattening my battery and also how much it weighs, but its cool to see what options are out there tho :)

Think outside the box.

Obviously with your issues, you can't be lugging heavy stuff up and down stairs, but something like a motorised jack, if it could be stored in the car, at least lessens that issue. Under the seat?, that tub behind the seat i see in TWK? Just on there and with some sort of cover pinned over would be fine.

So powerage..... What's wrong with a lithium jump pack/power bank arrangement?, A decent sized one should be fine for powering one of these. Light enough you can take in back indoors and recharge. Can also be useful if you can find other 12v powered items/tools that's normally run off the cigarette socket (they're mostly crap with a lack of oomph but will be adequate for a lot of the jobs you'd likely be attempting and save some exertion from yourself?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something else that may help with the scissor jack is that you don't need to take the handle out each half turn. The handle can be left in place and then you use both hands to operate it.  One hand supports the spindle of the handle and acts as the 'bearing' for it to rotate, while the other is used at the crank end to rotate it and wind up the jack. Have a look on Youtube for the technique. It'll be less effort to do it that way, I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

That will work as a temporary repair, though it's asking a lot of it in that location on the pipe.  You wind it round in a spiral with plenty of overlap.

thats good to know! :) and yeah its only meant to be a temporary bodge until  I can get a good set of exhaust downpipes fitted (the right hand side is not holed thankfully but I can tell its probably not far behind!)

15 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Think outside the box.

Obviously with your issues, you can't be lugging heavy stuff up and down stairs, but something like a motorised jack, if it could be stored in the car, at least lessens that issue. Under the seat?, that tub behind the seat i see in TWK? Just on there and with some sort of cover pinned over would be fine.

So powerage..... What's wrong with a lithium jump pack/power bank arrangement?, A decent sized one should be fine for powering one of these. Light enough you can take in back indoors and recharge. Can also be useful if you can find other 12v powered items/tools that's normally run off the cigarette socket (they're mostly crap with a lack of oomph but will be adequate for a lot of the jobs you'd likely be attempting and save some exertion from yourself?)

the problem is, a Lithium jump pack is only rated for a short bursts of heavy loads, something like that electric jack is rated to draw up to 15A which done continuously would quickly lead to some unhappy lithium ion battery cells which we all know never ends well! (due to high the currents involved a lot of Lithium ion battery backs dont have much in the way of battery protection circuitry on the output)

but what you mention is how I hope to power this thing :) but even then I must make sure to keep an eye on things

On 19/11/2021 at 11:50, LightBulbFun said:

also with many thanks to @auntiemaryscanary who went out of his way to pick one up from his local Lidl and post it off for me, I had this arrive which should make doing Oil changes much easier! (especially seeing as the gearbox does not actually have a drain plug LOL)

image.thumb.png.59a5fc1d614c5e1f26b1a1ef1e743617.png]

just hoping it will be able to cope with the comparatively thick 20W50 and EP90 oils that the Model 70 contain! but for £10 I figured it worth a punt :)  and im hoping my jump pack will be able to power it for long enough,  

I mean the oil capacities on a Model 70 are not exactly large, im pretty sure the Oil Filter of a Leyland Olympian takes more oil to pre-fill then the entire engine oil capacity of a Model 70!, so hopefully the jump pack should be able to run it for as long as I will need it when I need to do an oil change/service :) 

 

 

 

4 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Something else that may help with the scissor jack is that you don't need to take the handle out each half turn. The handle can be left in place and then you use both hands to operate it.  One hand supports the spindle of the handle and acts as the 'bearing' for it to rotate, while the other is used at the crank end to rotate it and wind up the jack. Have a look on Youtube for the technique. It'll be less effort to do it that way, I think. 

I did do/try that, but I found it to be quite awkward still due to the style of the handle (it just has a hook on the end and often would go off true if that makes any sense!) and also the position the jack had to be in to get the rear end up made things awkward in itself 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a bag stuffed in the offside of my engine bay below where the heater diverter box is which is big enough to contain a spare CVT belt, necessary tools to change it, some fuel hose, a couple of hose clips and a couple of screwdrivers.  Doesn't need any additional security measures, it just sits snugly in there on its own.

Wouldn't be hard to find somewhere to stuff a jack.  Somewhere around where the battery is in earlier cars?  Ratchet strap or similar to secure it in place, problem solved.  Engine bay is at least under lock and key.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

There's a bag stuffed in the offside of my engine bay below where the heater diverter box is which is big enough to contain a spare CVT belt, necessary tools to change it, some fuel hose, a couple of hose clips and a couple of screwdrivers.  Doesn't need any additional security measures, it just sits snugly in there on its own.

Wouldn't be hard to find somewhere to stuff a jack.  Somewhere around where the battery is in earlier cars?  Ratchet strap or similar to secure it in place, problem solved.  Engine bay is at least under lock and key.

ah thats good to know! I do plan to keep a spare CVT belt in REV at all times just incase so its good to know where I can stuff it (LOL)

 

as a side note, noting quite Autoshite like Spending new years midnight, watching youtube videos on exhaust bandages and realising you forgot to add engine degreaser to the amazon order you made earlier for aforementioned exhaust bandage

 

degreaser now suitably ordered!

aside from being a good thing to have on hand, I want to be able to properly remove the evidence of the sump plug leak (and some other leaks) check the tightness of things and see what appears again and what doesn't

and im thinking I can do this while I install the bandage and it will be a good excuse to do an oil and filter change while im at it :) (since I know its best to have the oil warm when you drop it and getting the exhaust warm will help cure the bandage I think)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, drum said:

Agreed, you'll be lucky to get one chippy run out of an exhaust bandage. I've had more success with a beer can bodge and a couple of jubilee clips.

I've had success with similar, wadding some putty over the hole, wrapping some juice can metal over that tightly then jubilee clip at each end. In fact i ran a Seicento like that for about 4k miles ūüėā

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, if you insist on attempting to use it then peel a can, two Jubilee clips tight on then bandage maybe. If you're got it flush/tight. Be prepared for it to fall off immediately. 

Or get it fixed proper like, chap. 

HNY. Etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

      I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

      So...we've got:

      1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

      Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

      Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.


      Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

       






      Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...









      Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.







      Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

      Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...



      Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

      Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.



      Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

      I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
×
×
  • Create New...