LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

5 hours ago, fraser.innes.3 said:

I've been dropping in and out of this thread for a few years.
The one thing I have observed, is that, invalid carriages should be confined to museums or displays in private collections.
Why any sane person would want to take one of those death traps on the highway, is beyond reason. Something that is so unstable, that a couple of guys could grab and tip on its side is downright dangerous.
LBF, abandon your dream of getting wiped out in it. Spend a few quid on an moted car, then you can get out, get a job, and hence by more light bulbs.
Job jobbed.

Sent from my JNY-LX1 using Tapatalk

Where do you draw the line? All three wheelers? How about anything sub-600cc? Vintage cars with no front brakes? Anything with terrible crash resistance? Or anything without seatbelts? Or anything without airbags? Or anything that wasn't built in the last five years and meets up-to-date safety regs? Ridiculous. Cars are designed to be driven, no car should be 'confined to a museum'.

9 hours ago, fraser.innes.3 said:

The one thing I have observed, is that, invalid carriages should be confined to museums or displays in private collections.
Why any sane person would want to take one of those death traps on the highway, is beyond reason.

You haven't 'observed' that, you've formed an opinion on a vehicle you clearly dislike, and then aired it towards somebody i doubt cares, regardless of how well meaning it may be.

Truth of the matter is, they're not really any more dangerous than a motorbike.

You haven't 'observed' that, you've formed an opinion on a vehicle you clearly dislike, and then aired it towards somebody i doubt cares, regardless of how well meaning it may be.
Truth of the matter is, they're not really any more dangerous than a motorbike.
I don't dislike them, I just think they are unsafe to be on the roads. If I disliked them, then I would be saying the should all be crushed.
As for other comments about cars with no front brakes. Yes, if they are unsafe on the highway, then they should be kept in museums, private collections, and taken to private motoring days.
Don't forget my youngest car is 11 years old (my modern), and my oldest 40, so I'm used to shite cars.

15 hours ago, fraser.innes.3 said:

Why any sane person would want to take one of those death traps on the highway, is beyond reason. Something that is so unstable, that a couple of guys could grab and tip on its side is downright dangerous.
LBF, abandon your dream of getting wiped out in it. Spend a few quid on an moted car, then you can get out, get a job, and hence by more light bulbs.
Job jobbed.

My grandfather, god rest his soul, wasn't much fun at parties either. 

5 hours ago, egg said:

I can't speak for LBF, and how he intends to use REV, but I do know he lives in a urban area with most local speed limits being 20-40 no doubt. It's not the daftest vehicle for that kind of work to be fair.

That's true, right until the point a twat in an uber or white van does a last minute U turn (which is par for the course in that there London) and it won't stop in time, all part of the fun though, if I saw one on a dual carriageway I'd think what a moron for taking it on there as it has all the integrity of a wet paper bag, but around town I don't see the fuss, apart from being laughed and pointed at.

On 02/08/2022 at 14:01, LightBulbFun said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255657875722

@Zelandeth you where eying up the last petrol Harding to show up, how about something even older! :) 

im surprised at how cheap it is, I figured anything 1930's with an engine would be fairly pricey! or maybe one for @barrett to go with his collection of 1920's and 1930's cars? :) 

s-l1600-19.thumb.jpg.8bc5369a49be12b913bf8469f0571298.jpg

honestly if I had somewhere to put, id of probably be on a collection caper by now LOL

s-l1600-16.thumb.jpg.3c47f4a4cfb5b445ee7e42c9bd2e0d7c.jpg

TF6405 is the 2nd Oldest Petrol Argson known to still survive for those curious (and the oldest Standard Petrol Argson), its one I have known about for a fair while and it sold at a couple auctions in the past

https://www.andybuysbikes.com/archivehtml/6984mis - Stanley Argson.html

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24121/lot/404/

somewhat unsurprisingly sadly, TF6405 is now back up for sale having simply had its shiny bits polished and punted on for significantly more 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265885674545

s-l1600-21.thumb.jpg.3977b89dd68c67ffbeb79a5a2b14c951.jpg

s-l1600-20.thumb.jpg.bc756783f5986bcf1968527492cdfd88.jpg

registration mark is not really transferable, but sadly im not sure anyone at the DVLA/DVSA know their own rules anymore, so I do fear for this machine!

hopefully this time round at least it can find a good home! I noticed the Nelco Solocar finished up at nearly £3K which is a lot for a fairly obscure electric carriage 

image.png.30ee114bbe211b72a60ff08684505f99.png

so I do wonder if we are seeing the spillover from that listing?

For those wondering why I haven’t posted anything about VJN in a while it’s because she’s been sold on, I recently went through the process of buying a house which unfortunately only has room for 2 cars so the 2 most practical ones remain, and the rest were sold on. I now only have my 2 Peugeots and my Lada is in a mates garage getting some work done and will be sold once it’s complete. It’s rather sad I had to sell VJN but she’s gone to a well known enthusiast 

CEB893B4-447C-4957-B427-B08C6813FFC9.jpeg

Hope ok to post here, but update on Jean Hammond discussed up thread (from Facebook)

Unfortunately, at the great age of nearly 93, Jean’s health is not what it once was and she reluctantly took the decision to move to live in a nursing home with all the care and support they can provide. She often tells us how happy she is there and she is certainly free of all worries. It is reassuring to see how much her general demeanour has improved since the move.  Anyone who has had to deal with our care system will know what the financial commitment of this decision is and it is not something we are in a position to fund for long. Therefore, we have had no option but to sell most of the cars.  

5 hours ago, Harriytait said:

For those wondering why I haven’t posted anything about VJN in a while it’s because she’s been sold on, I recently went through the process of buying a house which unfortunately only has room for 2 cars so the 2 most practical ones remain, and the rest were sold on. I now only have my 2 Peugeots and my Lada is in a mates garage getting some work done and will be sold once it’s complete. It’s rather sad I had to sell VJN but she’s gone to a well known enthusiast 

CEB893B4-447C-4957-B427-B08C6813FFC9.jpeg

I suppose then it’s time to announce that Brian now has a stablemate. I had been waiting to get a chance to make progress with one or other car to post something of a progress report but time has been short. When Harry realised he had to thin out his fleet due to the prospect of becoming a homeowner he kindly thought of me, sadly I did not have the funds to buy VJN, however, I asked my cousin ( who had been following Brian with interest and assisting when possible) if he would like to adopt an InvaCar. He did. Actually today we did manage to get VJN (now Bryony) out for a little attention and can report that she now stops as well as goes! She has had a new stub axle fitted as well as both rear wheel cylinders. Rear wheel bearings were given a clean out and fresh grease as it appeared water had managed to get past the seals at some point. Other small jobs have been addressed and myself and Russell (Rust ole, my cousin) hope to find more time before long to continue helping both Brian and Bryony back toward the roads on which they belong.
Best wishes with the house Harry.

97A5CF6B-B356-4189-AA7A-5F3BC5AE5803.jpeg

75EA6FBB-EFB7-4341-8779-B93682515D58.jpeg

4E41742B-8879-44DA-915B-967253226A75.jpeg

99263AFC-D82C-49A6-9720-ED9F2A05C4FA.jpeg

0F1EB2F3-833C-4447-AE46-2AFB7CB1BC7B.jpeg

15 hours ago, AdgeCutler said:

I suppose then it’s time to announce that Brian now has a stablemate. I had been waiting to get a chance to make progress with one or other car to post something of a progress report but time has been short. When Harry realised he had to thin out his fleet due to the prospect of becoming a homeowner he kindly thought of me, sadly I did not have the funds to buy VJN, however, I asked my cousin ( who had been following Brian with interest and assisting when possible) if he would like to adopt an InvaCar. He did. Actually today we did manage to get VJN (now Bryony) out for a little attention and can report that she now stops as well as goes! She has had a new stub axle fitted as well as both rear wheel cylinders. Rear wheel bearings were given a clean out and fresh grease as it appeared water had managed to get past the seals at some point. Other small jobs have been addressed and myself and Russell (Rust ole, my cousin) hope to find more time before long to continue helping both Brian and Bryony back toward the roads on which they belong.

Where did you find the stub axle?!?  I've been after one of those since September 2019!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Where did you find the stub axle?!?  I've been after one of those since September 2019!

Russell appeared with it from the parts bin that came with the car after finding that one of the wheel studs had been sheared and another cross threaded. What is the problem with yours? I know the old one that came off is still kicking around under the bench and is in good shape other than the studs which could be drilled out and replaced. 

Funnily enough mine had to be reworked for the 12e (different but very similar stub) as the main retaining stud was chewed up badly, it was machined off and drilled out to accommodate new. 

34 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

Russell appeared with it from the parts bin that came with the car after finding that one of the wheel studs had been sheared and another cross threaded. What is the problem with yours? I know the old one that came off is still kicking around under the bench and is in good shape other than the studs which could be drilled out and replaced. 

Funnily enough mine had to be reworked for the 12e (different but very similar stub) as the main retaining stud was chewed up badly, it was machined off and drilled out to accommodate new. 

One broken and one bent stud originally.  Since drilled out to accept bolts, but I don't 100% trust it.  The original studs are emphatically not standard.

I do have an original Fiat hub (they were modified to accept studs in the Mini etc pattern by the Invacar factory as far as we can tell), but so far have drawn a blank on finding anyone who will machine it to accept either standard studs or bolts.

I can't remember exactly what the thread sizes involved were - but the studs have a different thread on the bit that goes into the hub versus the bit the wheel nut screws onto - and there's also a blob of weld on the inner face to prevent them (in theory) from being able to unscrew out of the hub.

Edit: Wait...that hub is totally different to mine...

Mine has the original (4x100mm I think) Fiat wheel bolt pattern, with the studs having been added afterwards...also doesn't have the two cutouts in.  Odd!

IMG_20200507_175419.thumb.jpg.d100043ba1cb5719344a285cff5c02ca.jpg

Those cutouts will make working on the brakes immeasurably less awkward...

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I can't remember exactly what the thread sizes involved were - but the studs have a different thread on the bit that goes into the hub versus the bit the wheel nut screws onto

I can't remember either, but Six-cylinder did manage to get a pack of them, as Dolly has a snapped stud also. IIRC they are Land Rover exhaust manifold studs. I'll ask him...

24 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I can't remember either, but Six-cylinder did manage to get a pack of them, as Dolly has a snapped stud also. IIRC they are Land Rover exhaust manifold studs. I'll ask him...

That would be about right...something readily and cheaply available that's been sitting under my nose the whole time!

I was pretty sure they'd be off something common as it seemed totally out of character to have had a part used in such numbers specifically machined for the car.  I was buggered if I could figure it out though.

75814587_IMG_20190903_1328412.thumb.jpg.526068aec3dada566e63cce953c1ad83.jpg

The one hole got well and truly mangled though which is why it was drilled out to accept a standard metric wheel bolt, guess welding and re-drilling would be the correct way to sort that.  Though it wants doing with the hub off the car.  Trying to sort it in situ is how I screwed the threads up in the first place.

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

They were noted at the time as being a big help. 

Russell did bring another hub with him which was a full disc but I'm almost certain it was for a Mk12, keyway for a drive flange rather than splined as with the model 70. I should get chance to double check tomorrow.

If the one you've replaced is something you'd be willing to part with I'd definitely be very interested in as it sounds far more easily sortable than my one, which I don't reckon I'll ever have 100% confidence in.  

Especially as it sounds like we've possibly tracked down what the damned studs actually are.  That's a job any good machine shop should be able to do I'd hope.

Would be nice to not be silently slightly distrusting my workmanship every time I turn right!

On 17/09/2022 at 21:53, AdgeCutler said:

very awesome to see you have managed to get a Model 70 at long last! I know you have been wanting one for a long time! :) 

she looks good next to Brian and I am very pleased she is staying in the fold! and could not have gone to a better home! :) 

and I very much look forward to seeing them both out n about :) 

6 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

are you sure about this? I seem to remember there being a bag of studs purchased at the time as you say for Dolly, but dont recall them being the right type

obviously very happy to be proven wrong here, but Model 70 wheel studs are 3/8th inch BSF on the hub side and standard 3/8th inch UNF 24 TPI (like what you find on a classic mini) wheel side

and I have never found anything that was 3/8th inch BSF one one side and 3/8th inch UNF on the other side

AFAIK the these wheel studs are bespoke to invalid vehicles (I BELIVE they are also used on Pre Model 70 AC's and maybe Invacars too)

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Edit: Wait...that hub is totally different to mine...

Mine has the original (4x100mm I think) Fiat wheel bolt pattern, with the studs having been added afterwards...also doesn't have the two cutouts in.  Odd!

IMG_20200507_175419.thumb.jpg.d100043ba1cb5719344a285cff5c02ca.jpg

I was wondering if you would notice those or not :) I did a brief write up on them a while back on page 254 which I have quoted bellow :) 

but the TL;DR is the hubs @AdgeCutler has are later post production Ministry parts,

it seems at some point the Ministry just went right to whoever made hubs for Fiat 500's and went "some of those but in 4 inch PCD please" and thus the strange half moon non-redrilled hub was born

its worth noting that later Fiat 500 hubs and indeed a few of the ones you can buy today are the half moon type as well, 

image.png

however since those that AdgeCutler etc have where made from the factory directly to Ministry spec they dont have the unused 4x98 Fiat holes or the brake drum retaining screw holes,

they are very much still Fiat 500 hubs, but made directly made in 4 inch PCD rather then 4x98mm PCD :) and as you say in period they just re-drilled standard fiat 500 hubs (which at the time where fully round with no cut outs)

On 14/03/2022 at 13:34, LightBulbFun said:

had a very interesting one just now!

have been chatting to Fraser (he needed to know what the front wheel cylinder was I wonder how future employers would act if I put "am skilled in all hours Invacar technical support" in my CV )

as he is continuing to do some more work on VES108S (XEV88S)  :) 

and he posted me some pictures of the progress he has been making

and this caught my eye right away 

275243624_469652314870290_8253712736276331296_n.thumb.jpg.ac6d349992051a073a663d7fd864efa8.jpg

so what its just a wheel hub whats special about that might you ask?

well anyone who knows their Model 70's knows that a Model 70 wheel hub normally looks like this (photo pinched from @Zelandeth)

IMG_20210208_163046.jpg

the Model 70 uses normally Fiat 500 (Fiat 500D specifically I THINK) hubs, re-drilled for 4 inch PCD 

now I have seen these Fiat hubs with the half moon cut outs before, on Fiats etc! I never however expected to find one on a Model 70 as the cut-outs leave no space to re-drill for 4x4 inch PCD from what i can tell

while I have seen one before on a Model 70 once, I was not sure if that was something knocked up by the owner of the vehicle or not

so its very interesting to see them again on a Model 70! especially such that they have clearly come from the Factory pre drilled for 4x4 inch PCD rather than the usual Fiat 4x98 PCD 

rather than the usual Model 70 setup which uses a standard Fiat hub that is then re-drilled for 4x4 inch PCD leaving the 4x98 holes visible still 

so this is very interesting! I wonder if this was a late production change (XEV88S is a very late Model 70 only 35~ cars away from the end of production Invacar Model 70 production)

or maybe a later 1980's replacement part? perhaps the Ministry found they where able to get whoever made the Fiat hubs to get them made for 4x4 inch PCD right from the start?

I will admit I dont actually know what hubs REV has, I have never had the brake drums off!

but Im pretty sure @Mrs6C's Model 70' which is the same Age as REV has typical fully circular re-drilled hubs, I sadly dont have a photograph of them, but I know the drums have been off at the FoD and Im pretty sure I would of noticed if Dolly was equipped with half moon hubs (as I call them)

so id be inclined to say that REV has regular fully circular hubs, but it would be interesting to check one of these days!

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

This.  BSF/UNF is an unlikely "stock" combination, as it is mixing standards from 2 different eras - I would be surprised if even Land Rover did that, but it's possible.  Also it is not a conventional stud, as it has the central shoulder to locate the brake drum.   It is almost certainly an AC /Invacar special.

Now, grumpy time.  There is no problem in making a few of these.  I have a lathe and the tooling, and I discussed it with someone here when the matter first arose.   Don't recall who it was now, and it doesn't matter, but I know what it is like being stuck for silly parts and I was only trying to be helpful.   I made a couple of trial pieces, but obviously I needed accurate dimensions, or a genuine stud to copy, before going ahead.   I never heard any more from the guy.

If he wasn't interested, fine, but a polite "thanks but no thanks" would have been appreciated.   I won't be making any more.   

The response I got from the couple of machinists I spoke to was that they couldn't replicate it because the original threads were roll formed which they didn't have the kit to do.

I'd gladly have sent an original one as a pattern for you though I don't think I have any of them left now as the three intact ones all were sent to potential machinists and never came back.

I really hope it wasn't me who left you hanging back then, given how bloody awful I can be of keeping tabs on multiple threads I wouldn't have put it past me.

4 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

@ZelandethI honestly can't remember - as you say we all have loads of stuff to keep tabs on, and I had forgotten about it until reading the posts yesterday.   I think I binned the trial ones!

They don't need to be thread-rolled if you are only making a few and are prepared to faff around a bit.  As far as strength goes, the originals don't seem to be too clever, so I think it would be possible to improve on that or at least equal it. 

I was going to make them individually on the lathe and die-cut the threads.  Possibly try a couple of different materials and make a few spare ones for testing - as in, torque them up and see how much it takes to break them. 

Wouldn't necessarily need a pattern but it would be up to you, or whoever, to supply the correct dimensions.  The shoulder is the critical bit.  I'd also be concerned about the fit in the hub flange without having a hub to try it in, so that would be up to the fitter to assess. 

If you've sent all the good ones away, how many do you actually need?   No problem making, say, 4 or 6, at your own risk of course.  It sounds though as if there is a general demand for more than that, and the problem is that nobody is going to want to make 50 or 100 by cottage-industry methods.

If that is of interest I'd be prepared to have a go, but perhaps you should check on these Land Rover exhaust studs and other sources first.  

The originals do appear to be made of cheese given how many we've seen either damaged or broken.

I had three "good" studs after extracting them from the hub - though they were all mangled somewhat, either before or during removal.

All three of those were sent off and never seen again, so the only ones I have now are currently holding wheels onto the car.

These were the measurements I got of the ones I had (that I can still find).

1172727548_IMG_20190903_1328412.thumb.jpg.290e0077abcb5fa32384b03c61007a8f.jpg

IMG_20190903_132902.thumb.jpg.94578fc3b2a652d2cfe1d95dc264763d.jpg

IMG_20190904_191231.thumb.jpg.3a48e5bdefdd646659bed37fab0a006b.jpg

Of course I can't find one of the shoulder - though I had a dig around earlier and found the remains of the broken stud, so I'll grab measurements from that tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Yep that all looks good.  Just need the diameter and length of the shoulder - max. dimensions if it is mangled - failing that, the corresponding dimensions of the hole in the brake drum although I guess you don't have a spare one to measure.

The drums aren't (in my case anyway) an especially snug fit over the shoulder.  It mainly seems to be there to just help centre things during assembly as best I can tell.  

Just measured the remains of this one.

IMG_20220920_110438.thumb.jpg.ae63ea9db86b1ba2a4809b57e0ed3cf7.jpg

IMG_20220920_110633.thumb.jpg.5112a51764491514909d5e9d9dce2576.jpg

Which equates to exactly 1/2" if I remember right.

It was actually properly in the jaws when I took the photo by the way, I just placed things there for clarity after taking the measurements.

3.9mm leaves a fractional amount of play between the lip and the feeler gauge - though I've just taken a look at a spare drum and the depth of the shoulder could easily be a little larger.

The depth of the face of the drum is 5.4mm on the nose (0.2125" - sorry, this thing doesn't do fractions!), so your suggested value should be fine.

IMG_20220920_133659.thumb.jpg.591c71e6d49d70979eb2a36726819133.jpg

IMG_20220920_133710.thumb.jpg.e64acd6e2695fb77cce3220d8f6f3296.jpg

IMG_20220920_133704.thumb.jpg.ea2543fa74cf895c7ef98e102b83036a.jpg

Certainly looks convincing!   It's a set of high tensile bolts threaded into the inner thread that I've been using here so far (aside from the one which had to be drilled out larger, which has a standard metric wheel bolt in), so material should be up to the job.  The original ones really do seem very soft.

Tap and die quality varies massively these days it seems too - that was one of the big headaches I wound up facing when I first tried to thread the hole where I'd drilled out the broken stud.  It turned out the hub was harder than my tap!  The second one got about 1/2 way through then snapped.  Third one which I went out of my way to make sure was from a reputable brand worked perfectly.  But by that point I'd already had to drill things further than I'd have liked.

I guess before you go any further it would make sense to test fit one to confirm that in the intervening couple of years that we haven't fudged up the thread sizes involved.  It would be beyond frustrating to have made a bunch of them and then discover I'd fouled up the measurements.  

I would definitely be interested in a few and obviously making a decent contribution towards your time & materials - I'd absolutely not be expecting to offer you something insulting like £10 each for these. 

How many?  Well I'm hoping that secondhand hub turns out to be available, which definitely needs two replaced.  While I have it off the car it feels kind of daft not to replace them all with ones made of actual high tensile steel rather than cheese anyway.  I know the ones on my other wheel don't look to be in 100% health either, so would probably be looking to replace those somewhere down the line.  Up front at least I do have a complete NOS hub assembly so don't need to worry about that.

So I'd really like to eventually put an order in for eight once we've confirmed the dimensions etc are all correct.

This once again shows how bloody useful a tool to have a lathe and the knowhow to make use of it is.

4 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

P1010006 (7).JPG

P1010007 (3).JPG

P1010009 (3).JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010013.JPG

P1010002 (7).JPG

thats some very awesome work! it certainly looks the part! :) 

Thank you very much for putting in the effort to help the cause of the Invacar! :) 

16 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Certainly looks convincing!   It's a set of high tensile bolts threaded into the inner thread that I've been using here so far (aside from the one which had to be drilled out larger, which has a standard metric wheel bolt in), so material should be up to the job.  The original ones really do seem very soft.

Tap and die quality varies massively these days it seems too - that was one of the big headaches I wound up facing when I first tried to thread the hole where I'd drilled out the broken stud.  It turned out the hub was harder than my tap!  The second one got about 1/2 way through then snapped.  Third one which I went out of my way to make sure was from a reputable brand worked perfectly.  But by that point I'd already had to drill things further than I'd have liked.

I guess before you go any further it would make sense to test fit one to confirm that in the intervening couple of years that we haven't fudged up the thread sizes involved.  It would be beyond frustrating to have made a bunch of them and then discover I'd fouled up the measurements.  

I would definitely be interested in a few and obviously making a decent contribution towards your time & materials - I'd absolutely not be expecting to offer you something insulting like £10 each for these. 

How many?  Well I'm hoping that secondhand hub turns out to be available, which definitely needs two replaced.  While I have it off the car it feels kind of daft not to replace them all with ones made of actual high tensile steel rather than cheese anyway.  I know the ones on my other wheel don't look to be in 100% health either, so would probably be looking to replace those somewhere down the line.  Up front at least I do have a complete NOS hub assembly so don't need to worry about that.

So I'd really like to eventually put an order in for eight once we've confirmed the dimensions etc are all correct.

This once again shows how bloody useful a tool to have a lathe and the knowhow to make use of it is.

im pretty positive they are 3/8th BSF hub side as per your post from a few years ago! but as you say would not be a bad idea to test fit the one already produced before commencing with any others! (and wheel side is just standard classic Mini which is from what I have researched is 3/8th UNF)

On 30/11/2019 at 23:27, Zelandeth said:

This afternoon an envelope containing four 3/8" BSF bolts dropped through my door. 

The big question of course was whether they would fit the hub of the Invacar.

IMG_20191130_194929.thumb.jpg.aec1566f0cc3e8e94737427a86f5ffbe.jpg

Finally!  I can now confirm that the threads in the hub are 3/8" BSF.

BTW has anyone figured out how to get the remains of a broken stud removed from the hub in the first place? 

im thinking given how many of these we have seen snapped im more then happy to pay for a bunch to be made for the parts stash just in general but I am first of all wondering if the hubs with the broken studs are indeed salvageable or not?

and obviously depending on if @Mr Pastry is alright with making a few more! I can completely understand if he only wants to make the 4 or 8 for Zel and just be done with that as its clearly not an 5 minute job! 

25 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

thats some very awesome work! it certainly looks the part! :) 

Thank you very much for putting in the effort to help the cause of the Invacar! :) 

im pretty positive they are 3/8th BSF hub side as per your post from a few years ago! but as you say would not be a bad idea to test fit the one already produced before commencing with any others! (and wheel side is just standard classic Mini which is from what I have researched is 3/8th UNF)

BTW has anyone figured out how to get the remains of a broken stud removed from the hub in the first place? 

im thinking given how many of these we have seen snapped im more then happy to pay for a bunch to be made for the parts stash just in general but I am first of all wondering if the hubs with the broken studs are indeed salvageable or not?

and obviously depending on if @Mr Pastry is alright with making a few more! I can completely understand if he only wants to make the 4 or 8 for Zel and just be done with that as its clearly not an 5 minute job! 

Getting the old ones out basically involved locking two wheel nuts together and unbolting them.  There's a little blob of weld tacked on the inside of the hub that needs to be cracked off first.  Now I know that it's something I'd do with the hub off the car (which I've always resisted doing given how much of a song and dance the manuals make about setting the wheel bearing preload), would be a simple matter of buzzing that off with the grinder.  

Three of my four came out pretty easily, however there was one which just kept snapping closer and closer to the hub eventually ending up totally flush to it.  Which is the one I drilled out - made a meal of and wound up having to drill oversize, tap, had the tap mess up the threads, drill out again and retap...

With the hub off the car it shouldn't be a difficult job.  To be fair 99.9% of the headaches I had were because I was trying to do the work in situ.  That was an absolutely bloody stupid idea, I should have just taken the damned hub off.

If there wasn't anything to grip on the front of the hub I imagine you could grind a slot in the back of the stud then whack it with an impact driver that way.

Question to those who know more about metallurgy than me: The original studs had a weld tack applied to the back of the hub to lock them in place.  Is this likely to weaken the metal of the stud?  Or would modern thread locking compounds be a more sensible route?  That's an area where things have moved on a lot since the early 70s.