LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

26 minutes ago, Christine said:

You could just google 36 pictures of Broadstone  years gone by... Daily Echo ,   and find it yourself ! 

This one @Christine?

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15804121.gallery-36-pictures-broadstone-years-gone/#gallery3

Broadstone135.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.67c3f64cb9959ea2ca29a874895debdc.jpg

Please, sir!  Is it a Tippen Delta Mr @LightBulbFun?  I have been doing my homework!

Yes , SADLY it must have lived there , i think there's another shot  but  different cars next to it ..Or the  owner was sadly dead slow getting his shopping with a gammy leg  or something.

SADLY,notice the street light went missing from outside International /Sommerfields in Tonbridge ..sadly just a rubbish  bin now 

16 minutes ago, CaptainBoom said:

This one @Christine?

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15804121.gallery-36-pictures-broadstone-years-gone/#gallery3

Broadstone135.jpg.gallery.thumb.jpg.67c3f64cb9959ea2ca29a874895debdc.jpg

Please, sir!  Is it a Tippen Delta Mr @LightBulbFun?  I have been doing my homework!

Tis indeed a Tippen Delta, a Delta 4 or Delta 5 to be more specific :) 

(note the 16 inch wheels but glass side windows, celluloid side "windows" would make it a Delta 3, and 12 inch wheels would make it a Delta 6 or 7 :) )

speaking of eye catching black and whites, got a couple more football ones, I wish I could find a higher res version of this full lineup picture, I know its from a pinterest post, but reverse google image search aint coughing anything up sadly 

d392767f04239dec856fb9317ca79d4d.jpg.4f268b747b6237e8c94eb73979a1a1f4.jpg

and this lone Mk12 picture (separate from the above photo AFAIK!)

FZWZezbXwAEIV5z.thumb.jpeg.face7931df2c91c86b41e40e27fc06d7.jpeg

reminds me a lot of this Picture from Page 165 :) almost like a predecessor to it, from 1 Bobby and a Mk12, to a whole gaggle of them and a Model 70 :) 

123019171_3089343817959023_7633899001964678758_n.jpg

a post for anyone following my DVLA research side of things

someone on eBay is flogging a shed load of old 1970's-1980's V5's for Various Tractors mainly

and I noticed an interesting special note on a few of them that I have not seen before, and I wonder if anyone might know what it might mean?

s-l1600-13.thumb.jpg.20551fb3920a7a571965f1c5b81db5f7.jpg

s-l1600-14.thumb.jpg.96008e981b70791ee78dc8de188acab1.jpg

"Declaration required on Next change of keeper" what exactly are they asking for here is what im scratching my head over

like a declaration of what exactly?!

wonder if any of the people who had to deal with this sort of stuff in period might remember what it was about exactly?

(esp as its not something thats normally present)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

someone on eBay is flogging a shed load of old 1970's-1980's V5's for Various Tractors mainly

and I noticed an interesting special note on a few of them that I have not seen before, and I wonder if anyone might know what it might mean?

"Declaration required on Next change of keeper" what exactly are they asking for here is what im scratching my head over

wonder if any of the people who had to deal with this sort of stuff in period might remember what it was about exactly?

(esp as its not something thats normally present)

I remember seeing that at one time.  I think it was just DVLC speak, reminding the new keeper to fill in the changes section. 

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I remember seeing that at one time.  I think it was just DVLC speak, reminding the new keeper to fill in the changes section. 

Interesting, just to confirm, are you sure your not thinking of the later special note that all 1978~ V5's onwards had ?

s-l1600 (15).jpg

most original 1974-1978 V5's I have seen until now, did not have anything in the special notes section

s-l1600 (30).jpg

so yeah its got me wondering!

you could still be right, that was indeed my first thought "is it a reminder to keeper change" but as above not all old V5's have it...

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Interesting, just to confirm, are you sure your not thinking of the later special note that all 1978~ V5's onwards had ?

s-l1600 (15).jpg

most original 1974-1978 V5's I have seen until now, did not have anything in the special notes section

s-l1600 (30).jpg

so yeah its got me wondering!

you could still be right, that was indeed my first thought "is it a reminder to keeper change" but as above not all old V5's have it...

Dunno M8.  I have seen the "Declaration required" thing but didn't ever pay it much attention.  I would guess that the People in Charge realised that it needed a bit more explanation.   As you say, not all old V5s have it, but I think given the number of documents involved there would be more than one printer in use and they were perhaps not all working from the same template - it could just be something quite boring really.

On 8/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, Asimo said:

Bournemouth

And sadly you posted that the day after Yellow Buses ceased trading for ever after 120 years. I mentioned it in bus shite but got no response. Is it only me who cares? Maybe because I'm localish. 

I just can't imagine Bournemouth without its yellow buses. It's just going to look like anywhere else now. Some of the routes are being taken over by More Buses (aka Go Ahead, formerly Wilts and Dorset) but you get blue and red  buses everywhere. I just can't imagine Bournemouth without its lines of Yellow Buses parked up around the city centre. Sad face. 

10 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Could it be as mentioned above a gentle reminder specific to farmers to declare a change in ownership? As many tractors spend most of their time off road there may have been a spate of agricultural vehicles being sold on without the DVLA being informed. Tractors are not obviously road vehicles in the sense that a car, or in Lightbulbfuns example a VW Camper, is where filling in a change of ownership declaration is all part of the routine selling procedure.

1 hour ago, Mr Pastry said:

Dunno M8.  I have seen the "Declaration required" thing but didn't ever pay it much attention.  I would guess that the People in Charge realised that it needed a bit more explanation.   As you say, not all old V5s have it, but I think given the number of documents involved there would be more than one printer in use and they were perhaps not all working from the same template - it could just be something quite boring really.

well thats the thing the "template" would be the blank V5, everything worded/typed in black type on the dithered blue background, will be from the computer, stored in coded form and decoded back out via a lookup table any time someone requests the data in human readable format (ie via an online tool or printing out a V5 etc)

that includes special notes, on the back end they are just another flag, which is then decoded out

so that special note will be something tied to the computer system/that vehicles specific record, and thus nothing to do with the printer/whoever printed off the V5, so the fact that its not on EVERY V5 of the time period makes me think it must be something to do with that specific vehicle record or vehicle type etc

a prime example of this is the "used before first registration with the DVLA" marker, the flag itself has existed for many years, but what it decodes to via the lookup table has changed over time

back in the day it used to say "Previously registered and/or used prior to date of registration shown above" and now it just says "was registered and/or used"

On 22/05/2021 at 02:48, LightBulbFun said:

and finally I always felt that the wording that Used/re-registered/imported vehicles got in their special notes section felt incomplete to me

image.png.8882c224b34b48f82ee4a17a9fd8651e.png

the wording seemed weird to me "was registered and/or used" 

so I have wondered if in the past there was more to it that for some reason got lopped off, but I have never come across an old 1980's V5 of such a vehicle to compare to

until now where I finally came across an old V5 of such a re-registered vehicle and indeed my hunch was correct their was more wording at one time :) 

1593675010_s-l1600(56).thumb.jpeg.387f80b13387c7ba3ee7cc347bee2662.jpeg

"Previous Registered And/Or used prior to date of first registration show above" suddenly makes a lot more sense/sounds a lot better

I wonder why the wording was truncated like it is now, was it intentional or was it a computer glitch of some kind?

the only thing i can think of is the fact a modern V5 does not show the date of first registration on the first page "above" but they could of still amended the wording to simply "date of first registration shown" 

29 minutes ago, martc said:

Could it be as mentioned above a gentle reminder specific to farmers to declare a change in ownership? As many tractors spend most of their time off road there may have been a spate of agricultural vehicles being sold on without the DVLA being informed. Tractors are not obviously road vehicles in the sense that a car, or in Lightbulbfuns example a VW Camper, is where filling in a change of ownership declaration is all part of the routine selling procedure.

I do wonder if its something Tractor specific, at first I wondered if it had anything to do with the ""Exempt (Sec 7(1) VE ACT)" taxation class

perhaps that taxation class needed some sort of declaration to stay with a keeper change, but then I saw a couple other Tractor V5's with the same declaration special mark, and they where just in the regular agricultural machine taxation class which I know does not need any sort of special declaration AFAIK? 

this exempt taxation class is another one Im curious about, that im not entirely sure about

I seem to have it in my head that its the £NIL taxation class for limited use vehicles (ie a Farmers Land rover only going on road to go between fields) but I cant recall where I got that info from, its worth noting that it goes back to the buff logbook days as per this picture

s-l1600-16.thumb.jpg.7a99a2b82c62d71be54a9ba758305c64.jpg

15 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I have nothing to declare but my genius and two bottles of absinthe 

On 8/3/2022 at 2:04 PM, egg said:

Mr Alfred Halfpenny of Sketty, Swansea, sets out from Swansea on a 2,700 mile tour round Britain in an invalid chair, 1936. 

mr-alfred-halfpenny-of-sketty-swansea-se

Not much to add to this thread, except that my dad (born 1929, now RIP) grew up in Sketty, Swansea. He went to school with a lad with the surname Halfpenny and this lad had a glass eye and would delight in taking his eye out to give it a clean infront of any new teacher coming into the classroom, with apparently hilarious results. Alfred is too old to be this lad, but I wonder if he was Alfred's son. Too much of a coincidence not to be, I think. Sorry for the interruption, back to Invacars...

well this is very interesting!

its the 1973 Port hole Model 70 masquerading as GIG4834!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265825938480

s-l1600-21.thumb.jpg.07cdddc2100a0677f177cb86cce4ee67.jpg

s-l1600-22.thumb.jpg.196139bf19be7ea997167ec25e1dc578.jpg

s-l1600-25.thumb.jpg.b6f557a6cbb215be8485edfc80b0d99e.jpg

s-l1600-26.thumb.jpg.a0141520e3d4e35c806ddd1de7ef51b2.jpg

for those unaware, a while back, GIG showed up, but some details about the story did not match up, I mean the car was very much GIG4834, but the story of how it was found did not match up with previous details I had known about GIG, but the car I was looking at very much was GIG

and this finally clarifies it all, it looks like whats happened, is there where 2 Model 70's, still are!, and at some point in time, their chassis plates, got swapped! both cars still exist, just running around as each other!

so the 1973 Model 70' Got GIG's number and chassis plate and the Real GIG, got the 1973 chassis plate (but no reg plate although I know the mark for the 1973 car)

and that explains why there are 2 stories for GIG!, because there where 2 GIGs a real and a fake one!

its a very curious one! as normally when such shenanigans happened, the car who donates its chassis plate often does not survive

(shenanigans like this normally happen when a machine damaged beyond reasonable repair and rather then bother to properly transfer the user to a new machine, the repair shop gets lazy and slaps the chassis plate and number plate on another existing car and sends the user back out)

@Faker I know you have involved with GIG in the past, do you recognise the ebay seller above or have some details I can contact him on, id like to try and sort this all out of course!

(obviously id like to check out the port holes car actual ID and see if it really is the car who's chassis plate is now on the real GIG)

On 04/12/2020 at 15:12, LightBulbFun said:

in Model 70 news, I got a random text from someone with a Model 70 in need of identification (no number plates)

turns out its one of Sam's buddies (Sam being the guy in NI restoring UOI8850 etc)

and its been quite interesting, first I get a picture of its Cabin Chassis plate, and the last chassis number digit is a backwards/upside down 3!

clearly not a half stamped 8, so then I ask for chassis stamped chassis numbers, which is completely different from the cabin chassis plate, so ok we have Good old Approved repairer shenanigans on the go...

but to top it off its the chassis stamped number is the chassis number of WOI4001 aka GIG4834 (it was sadly robbed of its plate years ago), and if that number sounds familiar its because that Model 70 is a survivor, (in fact it was pretty much the only known NI Model 70, known survivor or otherwise, until @Datsuncog and I dug up all the rest!)

but the thing I have never actually seen a picture of it

so now I have the fun of figuring out what am I actually looking at

am I looking at GIG4834 the already known survivor , or is GIG4834, actually another Model 70 and now the real GIG4834 has surfaced? 

I know @Faker has a mate with a Model 70 over in NI, that I am informed is GIG4834, if you could post/share some pictures of it would be most helpful!

from the photos I have seen of this car, im more inclined to say that im looking at GIG4834, as the chassis number in the cabin is for a 1973 Model 70, so Model 70 Mark 12 inch wheels, no rollover bar/headlining and the smaller speedo, single wing mirror

but in the pictures I have, I see door mounted mirrors 10 inch wheels and a larger speedo, so im inclined to think im this is GIG4834 im looking at

weather or not the GIG4834 survivor is this car or is actually another Model 70 is yet to be figured out!

On 06/12/2020 at 16:22, LightBulbFun said:

Good news! GIG4834 is not 2 Model 70's as I had feared and indeed the GIG that Stuart knew about from years ago is the same GIG thats turned up recently

here are a couple pics of GIG from back when

image.png.a3efdb3d57be7545a2c65b57b56f18c1.png

image.png.ff40804df5d91bf302ea8f94dda13b6b.png

and heres the pics I got recently

image.thumb.png.72c4323b441346fe39dc28c82d6d2ffd.png

image.thumb.png.0ff8f4ad21f98fecd6ae63add46dd2e5.png

clearly the same car! :) with this confirmed, I have informed the guy who has it what the registration number is, and hopefully in time we might see another Model 70 return to the road (and a NI one at that)

and for those curious here is the Port hole Model 70

image.png.9599ebf1f6ee2fb325a8454a3522cfbc.png

image.png.5e787261644ad811bd5a4f318dfb5648.png

image.png.d0bf46cd5146c8ce7ce9583b0a6489f6.png

image.png.3c25e7700968acef7446b9eeec72f77e.png

sadly this one was never seen again after it showed up on ebay about 10 years ago

its unknown what its details are etc, but clearly looks like someone gave it some TLC at some point...

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

well this is very interesting!

its the 1973 Port hole Model 70 masquerading as GIG4834!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265825938480

s-l1600-21.thumb.jpg.07cdddc2100a0677f177cb86cce4ee67.jpg

s-l1600-22.thumb.jpg.196139bf19be7ea997167ec25e1dc578.jpg

s-l1600-25.thumb.jpg.b6f557a6cbb215be8485edfc80b0d99e.jpg

s-l1600-26.thumb.jpg.a0141520e3d4e35c806ddd1de7ef51b2.jpg

for those unaware, a while back, GIG showed up, but some details about the story did not match up, I mean the car was very much GIG4834, but the story of how it was found did not match up with previous details I had known about GIG, but the car I was looking at very much was GIG

and this finally clarifies it all, it looks like whats happened, is there where 2 Model 70's, still are!, and at some point in time, their chassis plates, got swapped! both cars still exist, just running around as each other!

so the 1973 Model 70' Got GIG's number and chassis plate and the Real GIG, got the 1973 chassis plate (but no reg plate although I know the mark for the 1973 car)

and that explains why there are 2 stories for GIG!, because there where 2 GIGs a real and a fake one!

its a very curious one! as normally when such shenanigans happened, the car who donates its chassis plate often does not survive

(shenanigans like this normally happen when a machine damaged beyond reasonable repair and rather then bother to properly transfer the user to a new machine, the repair shop gets lazy and slaps the chassis plate and number plate on another existing car and sends the user back out)

@Faker I know you have involved with GIG in the past, do you recognise the ebay seller above or have some details I can contact him on, id like to try and sort this all out of course!

(obviously id like to check out the port holes car actual ID and see if it really is the car who's chassis plate is now on the real GIG)

alright! got some good news for the most part

I spoke with The owner of Real GIG, and it turns out that fake GIG, The Port hole car had shown up for sale some days prior, and indeed I found this facebook post 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/midlandsbuyandsell/posts/3192576584337004

and the owner of real GIG, thankfully understood the issue at hand and gave me the contact details for the owner of Fake GIG (as Mr Real GIG has obviously seen Fake GIG and had wondered what was going on so had gotten in contact with the owner of Fake GIG)

who I just called just now, and was thankfully also very understanding of the issue, but he informed that he had sold Fake GIG on

(which explains why the owner of the real GIG was a bit confused as to Fake GIG being for sale again suddenly after it was pulled from sale a few days ago)

thankfully the Ex Owner of Fake gig is actually on his way to the new (current) owner of Fake GIG and he said he will explain the issue and pass on my phone number

so hopefully I should be to resolve this issue with little issue :) (its just a case of swap the ID's back around to how they should be, and fire off a fresh V62 for the actual ID of the port hole car)

the only thing I am bit worried about, is it sounds like both the owner of Fake GIG and the owner of Real GIG have both Sent off V62's for GIG, and I have no idea how the DVLA will handle that!

hopefully I can get the owner of Fake GIG to cancel his V62 somehow, if indeed a V62 has been sent off by him!

as a side note the Port hole car has an interesting finger/thumb level throttle, I wonder that was a period adaptation or something fitted after the fact?

I also wonder is it spring loaded or one of those stays at the position you set it at? (also has an unusual fuel gauge!)

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

alright! got some good news for the most part

I spoke with The owner of Real GIG, and it turns out that fake GIG, The Port hole car had shown up for sale some days prior, and indeed I found this facebook post 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/midlandsbuyandsell/posts/3192576584337004

and the owner of real GIG, thankfully understood the issue at hand and gave me the contact details for the owner of Fake GIG (as Mr Real GIG has obviously seen Fake GIG and had wondered what was going on so had gotten in contact with the owner of Fake GIG)

who I just called just now, and was thankfully also very understanding of the issue, but he informed that he had sold Fake GIG on

(which explains why the owner of the real GIG was a bit confused as to Fake GIG being for sale again suddenly after it was pulled from sale a few days ago)

thankfully the Ex Owner of Fake gig is actually on his way to the new (current) owner of Fake GIG and he said he will explain the issue and pass on my phone number

so hopefully I should be to resolve this issue with little issue :) (its just a case of swap the ID's back around to how they should be, and fire off a fresh V62 for the actual ID of the port hole car)

the only thing I am bit worried about, is it sounds like both the owner of Fake GIG and the owner of Real GIG have both Sent off V62's for GIG, and I have no idea how the DVLA will handle that!

hopefully I can get the owner of Fake GIG to cancel his V62 somehow, if indeed a V62 has been sent off by him!

as a side note the Port hole car has an interesting finger/thumb level throttle, I wonder that was a period adaptation or something fitted after the fact?

I also wonder is it spring loaded or one of those stays at the position you set it at? (also has an unusual fuel gauge!)

well this is going pretty well!

I was able to chat to the current owner of the port hole car, and figure out exactly which Model 70 it actually is

and as I thought, its just a case of swapped ID's :) so I have given each owner each others contact details and hopefully they can get in contact and swap the ID's round

the only thing I am worried about is indeed the owner of the port hole car, has sent off the V5 for GIG to do a keeper change, and the owner of  real GIG has sent off a V62 in the past week

so I am not sure what the DVLA will make of that! I think this will be a case of having to sit back and wait for the results to present themselves 

I am hoping that it will just keeper change twice in quick succession, or that the V62 happens first and thus the V5 in the ebay ad will become old and the DVLA will reject the keeper change on the old V5 and the owner, can just say "sorry I thought this was the current V5 for the car but my bad its not" but who knows!

but yeah very pleased as I have finally ID'ed what the port hole car is and finally figure out the mystery of GIG4834 :) 

this whole thing something that I have been wondering about for a long time, and something I know Stuart has been scratching his head with for over 10 years now!

(and it may explain why initially Stuart thought the Port hole car was GIG, but thats something for me to further discuss with Stuart :) )

BTW for those curious heres the thumb throttle thats been fitted to the Port hole Model 70

image.thumb.png.1e2e74e9e119995aae2471c8be305f73.png

"ATCO Villiers" sounds like its off an old Lawn mower!

the slightly scary thing is, its not of the returning type so it just stays where you set it! 

very much DIY cruise control thats engaged all the time!

I do still wonder if this was a period adaptation done for a users specific needs, or something someone fitted after the car came out of Ministry service?

On 6/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, loserone said:

That sounds like a task to send @eddyramrod on!

OK, I've found the record office; it is, as I suspected, part of the main public library.  I need to apply for an Archive Card and then I can look through what they have and hopefully find out some stuff.  Want to message me the details you do have?

On 8/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, Christine said:

Got any log books for Land Rovers ,   Escort mk 1 or 2      2 door  for sale ? 

My ex wife was a clinical hypnotherapist and she tried without success to regress me to remember the reg number of the Mk2 Escort RS1800 that myself and a friend trashed in a beach front car park back in 1987 because he couldn't sell it with a bad missfire.