LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

41 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Has it been sold via Faceache or Dumtree or is he trying to sell it . Bit of a shit that he never recontacted those that had shown an interest 

I contacted the chap immediately that I had his number and called the morning of April 14th, my call was expected. I got no answer that time and so messaged and received one in return stating that I would receive a call later when he was in an area with better signal. A few days passed and I became aware that other plans were underway to save the car and so I didn't call again. In recent days it has become evident that the car was sold to a third party and both Adam and myself were forgotten/ignored. 

Having seen the picture of the state of the car I was basically going to save its components from destruction as there were parts that would have been helpful toward restorations of others. It did seem to restore it itself would be an epic undertaking but that is what I have read on FaceBook will happen, if it does happen?

8 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Have we had this gif featuring REV yet?

tumblr_pwousbZq851shy4t3o8_500.gif

not in this thread, but im pretty sure I have seen something like it before! 

she has also made into at least 1 meme LOL

Screenshot_20190308-122244_Facebook.jpg

any time someone posts an Invacar on the social media someone will always inevitably post something of REV from that scene, which always tickles me :) 

(especially when at one point @Ghosty casually responded to one of those posts with "driven that actual car" LOL)

16 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

@LightBulbFunanother spot on faceache, sorry I have no idea as to its identity.

Screenshot_20220517-214504_Facebook.jpg

thanks for the heads up that is the Pemrbokeshire car as posted above and a few pages back :) 

I do know its Identity thanks to @dollywobbler managing to grab the details for me when he visited it in person :) but I still need to contact the new owner and see what his plan is for it! (hopefully nothing silly)

smoll update on the Pembrokeshire car, I got chatting with the current owner, a nice enough bloke, who is planning to reproduce a chassis for it and get it back on the road! (although I dont know if he means an exact replica of the existing chassis or just something knocked up to get it moving, he did make mention of a Motorcycle engine and a live rear axel which is a bit worrying!)

its an ambitious task, but he claimed to be quite skilled in the matter and also quite skilled in Fibreglass so thats good!,  and he says that despite the Rocker covers being full of water, the engine was relatively good shape otherwise, so thats good hopefully maybe the engine might be salvageable!

(reminds me a lot of the Isle of Skye car, the engine externally looked utterly fucked, as did everything else metal on the car, but internally the engine was perfect!)

he made mention that he was not sure how the rear chassis was constructed so, I supplied him with pictures of that, which was he quite thankful for, so hopefully he can be persuaded to knock together a proper chassis for it! 

I also did the usual thing I do with new Model 70 owners got him up to speed with what he actually has and supplied him a PDF of the workshop manual 

and hopefully sometime soon ill be getting pictures of the interior to see if I can figure out what controls it may of had :) 

22 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Good to hear but please, unless you're going Crazy Frog it's axle, not axel.

this is Autoshite, surely it would imply the fitment of the rear end of a certain Citroen...

11 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Apologies if I’ve missed updates LBF but I lose track of this thread with the tangents it goes off in.

What’s the latest on REV? 

still the same as per quote bellow, I did yesterday ask Red5 how things are going, so hopefully ill get another progress report/update on things before not too long :) (I hope she does not spring up any more nasty surprises then whats already known, I would like to have her back while the weather is still decent if possible at all LOL)

On 13/05/2022 at 21:37, LightBulbFun said:

"little blue fucker" is that you giving it... a name?! :mrgreen:

on a more serious note, sadly not yet, but I have been informed after a bunch of parts swapping a workable carb has been put together from the 2, and she is running again, with tuning planned for Monday hopefully :) 

I think the plan is to then get the choke control/cable un-seized, and after that im not sure you will have to ask Red5!

but I know she still needs her exhaust down pipe patched or replaced and she also needs a full service/fluid change and grease up, so hopefully those issues will be attended to in the near future

16 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

smoll update on the Pembrokeshire car, I got chatting with the current owner, a nice enough bloke, who is planning to reproduce a chassis for it and get it back on the road! (although I dont know if he means an exact replica of the existing chassis or just something knocked up to get it moving, he did make mention of a Motorcycle engine and a live rear axel which is a bit worrying!)

its an ambitious task, but he claimed to be quite skilled in the matter and also quite skilled in Fibreglass so thats good!,  and he says that despite the Rocker covers being full of water, the engine was relatively good shape otherwise, so thats good hopefully maybe the engine might be salvageable!

(reminds me a lot of the Isle of Skye car, the engine externally looked utterly fucked, as did everything else metal on the car, but internally the engine was perfect!)

he made mention that he was not sure how the rear chassis was constructed so, I supplied him with pictures of that, which was he quite thankful for, so hopefully he can be persuaded to knock together a proper chassis for it! 

I also did the usual thing I do with new Model 70 owners got him up to speed with what he actually has and supplied him a PDF of the workshop manual 

and hopefully sometime soon ill be getting pictures of the interior to see if I can figure out what controls it may of had :) 

further update, got some pictures :)

281107600_516262330196824_1921687910605105016_n.thumb.jpg.5de3193697f32698c2e5967b7cd375ea.jpg

281350301_528752555409104_939797830850947299_n.thumb.jpg.f22c6cdffd564ec7c400ed04f6d8610a.jpg

no evidence of any foot controls, but that steering rod looks rather long, so I think it may of been a Right hand tiller machine before it went fwoomph, I have exact measurements of all the various steering rods used in all steering options for the Model 70 so I have asked for him to messure it up and that should hopefully give me a good clue as to what it is :) I also made sure to get a couple pictures of the chassis plate to verify that yes this is indeed the Pembrokeshire car LOL

he also grabbed a picture of the heating and choke controls which is a very interesting thing for me, because its a blue metal box! but its a late Machine!

281154536_568840414608397_2172746277097244981_n.thumb.jpg.6a0bad250eb36b953305b529b39640f5.jpg

curiously SPE351R another even later AC Model 70 has the same metal box controls, and its very interesting to me because I always thought the blue metal box type, was an earlier type fitted to earlier Mk B's Pre Rollover bar

and I thought maybe SPE351R just ended up with an earlier control box somehow

walton-hall-and-gardens-warrington-cheshire-uk-12th-sep-2021-uk-disability-awareness-day-30th-anniversary-event-the-worlds-largest-not-for-profit-voluntary-led-disability-exhibition-old-three-wheeler-disability-vehicle-credit-john-hopki (1).jpg

see most post rollover bar Model 70's I have seen have with floor mounted control box, have a plastic control box, as seen on REV here

IMG_0433.thumb.JPG.e691adb18594cc3dd1e9895b8fabac2d.JPG

but seeing that the Pembrokeshire car has the same blue control box as SPE351R is interesting!

so I now have to figure out whats going on here with the metal blue box controls! was perhaps the plastic control box a post production replacement part (like the britax rear lights)

or is this another production difference between AC and Invacar Model 70's? of note the spare parts list only differentiates between Mk A's (with their roof mounted controls) and Mark B's with their floor mounted controls

so if there was a difference between Early Mk B's and later Mk B's then it was consolidated by the mid 1980's its also worth noting that there was also a black version of the metal box controls, but im not sure I have actually seen those fitted to machines, just that they exist in various parts stashes!

3 hours ago, AdgeCutler said:

Quick video update.

its really awesome to see Brian come back-together at long last :) 

on the exhaust front, you are correct in that the heat exchanger (Store No 3191) is also the main silencer, the extra bit on the end I think is called the tail pipe by the parts manual (Store No 4128/4132)

image.thumb.png.cc0c81c9e018e4d0a83ea2685518805e.png

I wonder if its something to do with exhaust tuning? I know 2 strokes are rather dependent on the design of the exhaust to be performant and can be tuned quite a bit by it, while I dont know anything about it beyond much more then that

I do wonder if the tail pipe has something to do with that?, (as I would of thought otherwise a standard heat exchanger arrangement as shown would be quite restrictive to exhaust flow of a 2 stroke engine)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I wonder if its something to do with exhaust tuning? I know 2 strokes are rather dependent on the design of the exhaust to be performant and can be tuned quite a bit by it, while I dont know anything about it beyond much more then that

I do wonder if the tail pipe has something to do with that?, (as I would of thought otherwise a standard heat exchanger arrangement as shown would be quite restrictive to exhaust flow of a 2 stroke engine)

2 strokes like to have a bit of pressure within the exhaust and the balance is important for efficiency and power output. As the exhaust gases are forced out of the cylinder by the air/fuel mix being driven from the crankcase the correct pressure within the exhaust helps minimise the air fuel mix following the exhaust gasses out to the exhaust before the port is closed. As the exchanger is the first resistance the gasses face this is where the back pressure and main silencing is carried out. The tail pipes main function in this case is I feel to take the exhaust gasses away to the rear of the car, the expansion chamber upon it will help further smooth the gas impulses and lower noise levels further. A perforated pipe or baffles here may have been deemed unnecessary and more restriction, detrimental to power output.

My thanks in advance to Mrs6c for taking a look into the expansion chamber on her car to further confirm this when the chance arises.  

Great stuff, I thought he would be a helpful chap.

Hopefully one day we'll get the Mk12 v Model 70 head to head on hubnut/furious driving/idriveaclassic/twin cam/vulgalour's channel (delete as appropriate) that the world doesn't know it needs yet!

30 minutes ago, egg said:

Great stuff, I thought he would be a helpful chap.

Hopefully one day we'll get the Mk12 v Model 70 head to head on hubnut/furious driving/idriveaclassic/twin cam/vulgalour's channel (delete as appropriate) that the world doesn't know it needs yet!

Yeah I have been badgering @dollywobbler to get his mits on a Villiers machine for a hubnut road test for some time now :) 

the issue there is well the Chap with LVX250J (JBY503J) is the only person I know of with a road going Villiers machine! there are very few Model 70's on the road sadly, and only that 1 Villiers machine AFAIK! although Stuart just got his Harding Deluxe Model B going the other day, so hopefully along @AdgeCutler's Mk12 it will not be alone for too much longer!

id hope if Dollywobbler did a video on a Villiers machine or other such detailed invalid vehicle video he would be able to have me as his technical adviser or something such LOL, so I can make sure he gets all his facts and figures correct :) 

on that, its fun to note, that AFAIK your the only person on this forum who has ever driven a Villiers Invacar! (tho I think @plasticvandan did manage to get a shot of a Villiers Harding Consort at one point :) )

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah I have been badgering @dollywobbler to get his mits on a Villiers machine for a hubnut road test for some time now :) 

the issue there is well the Chap with LVX250J (JBY503J) is the only person I know of with a road going Villiers machine! there are very few Model 70's on the road sadly, and only that 1 Villiers machine AFAIK! although Stuart just got his Harding Deluxe Model B going the other day, so hopefully along @AdgeCutler's Mk12 it will not be alone for too much longer!

id hope if Dollywobbler did a video on a Villiers machine or other such detailed invalid vehicle video he would be able to have me as his technical adviser or something such LOL, so I can make sure he gets all his facts and figures correct :) 

on that, its fun to note, that AFAIK your the only person on this forum who has ever driven a Villiers Invacar! (tho I think @plasticvandan did manage to get a shot of a Villiers Harding Consort at one point :) )

I think we just need to have a big invalid carriage meet up or camping thing, then we can compare all the differences and see exactly how they all evolved over time. Plus it would be really cool to see a row of invalid carriages in date order.

11 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

I think we just need to have a big invalid carriage meet up or camping thing, then we can compare all the differences and see exactly how they all evolved over time. Plus it would be really cool to see a row of invalid carriages in date order.

The Goodwood Revival is always looking for new attractions....why not?