LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

3 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Why do you both continue to try and derail the lad's thread? He's had the car transported to red5 for recommissioning. Red5 has asked for a carb. A carb has been sourced and is on the way. 

I genuinely can't see what else he could do at this point. 

What's your issue? I'm genuinely intrigued to know.

Basically it's any excuse to steer a conversation around to my genital piercing.

pleased to report both of the model Model 70's from oxford diecast arrived today :) 

image.thumb.png.002d80ce9824abb62cf8b0db6cae08c2.png

quite impressed with the detail they did a good job! but I noticed on both models I got the front wheel had not been installed properly

image.thumb.png.cadb6588b3ea2a68d4718e7de33c5f91.png

only 1 of its pegs have been inserted into one of the 2 "shackles" for lack of a better word

im half tempted to try and snap the wheel into place properly but I dont want to break anything further LOL

(they also printed the number plate a bit high LOL)

and heres the 2nd one

image.thumb.png.76c3e103e3e30948e27d086e16e29689.png

(EDIT: I was able to sort of the wheel "alignment" on the 2nd one as it had been inserted most of the way properly, and just was sitting at a wonky angle so I gently gave it a prod to get it home)

Invasion of the Invacars! They're finally here after a very long wait, extended by Hattons' first batch selling out less than ten minutes after the notifications were sent. Regular readers of this thread should be able to work out why I have five of them.

Invacars.thumb.jpg.21f8c8e5cc4c01976c113fa68edd7367.jpg

Invacars2.thumb.jpg.a9f4affeb6accf7283732ef8c8924613.jpg

Invacars3.thumb.jpg.3ad1fc1167303463189f1b2e806e589f.jpg

On first impressions they certainly look like Model 70s but I have a few comments:

• Wrong name on the box: they're described as 'AC Invacar' instead of 'AC Model 70', unfortunately perpetuating the myth that Invacar is a model name.
  • All my front wheels are okay but there is an issue with painting the roof as most have a section at the front that the paint hasn't covered and the clear plastic is showing through.
  • The front bumper may be a tad too deep?
  • Very surprised they've cast in the round AC badge as this prevents making an Invacar version. Surely it would have been better to print the badges.
  • No mirrors but modelling them to scale would be very difficult so probably better to omit them.

Overall, I'm very happy with them as I never thought anybody would ever make such a model. They seem very popular as this second batch has sold out now too.

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Invasion of the Invacars! They're finally here after a very long wait, extended by Hattons' first batch selling out less than ten minutes after the notifications were sent. Regular readers of this thread should be able to work out why I have five of them.

Invacars.thumb.jpg.21f8c8e5cc4c01976c113fa68edd7367.jpg

Invacars2.thumb.jpg.a9f4affeb6accf7283732ef8c8924613.jpg

Invacars3.thumb.jpg.3ad1fc1167303463189f1b2e806e589f.jpg

On first impressions they certainly look like Model 70s but I have a few bcomments:

• Wrong name on the box: they're described as 'AC Invacar' instead of 'AC Model 70', unfortunately perpetuating the myth that Invacar is a model name.
  • All my front wheels are okay but there is an issue with painting the roof as most have a section at the front that the paint hasn't covered and the clear plastic is showing through.
  • The front bumper may be a tad too deep?
  • Very surprised they've cast in the round AC badge as this prevents making an Invacar version. Surely it would have been better to print the badges.
  • No mirrors but modelling them to scale would be very difficult so probably better to omit them.

Overall, I'm very happy with them as I never thought anybody would ever make such a model. They seem very popular as this second batch has sold out now too.

hah very cool!

I wonder how many Oxford have sold directly via their website (thats where I nabbed mine)

yeah if you read the Oxford website, they just describe the "AC Invacar" as one continuously evolving machine!

thankfully I was able to sort out both front wheels on mine in the end (the "shackles" are open ended so I was able to just push it gently back into place)

I think the front bumper is alright, but indeed both mine have paint issues you describe, you dont get this with Gel coated fibreglass! LOL

yeah I noticed they cast the badge in as well! I guess if you really wanted to you could sand it down and stick an Invacar badge over it!

if they cant do simple Desmo mirrors, id love to see their reaction if someone asked them to do a 1:76 scale model of something like a Petrol Harding with all its levers :) 

I also noticed as these are based off KPK71P they modelled in the later 1990s Britax/rubbolite rear lights

I also noticed both front number plates are a bit wonky, but I was not expecting there to be one in the first place impressive they where able to print one so small! (guess they got lucky it was KPK71P with its 6 digit plate LOL)

shame theres not a customisation service so I could get some Printed up as @beko1987 says LOL

Just found another surprise having dismantled one. The handlebars are a separate part from the dashboard so it will be possible to model other steering options. Wasn't expecting that, just a single-piece interior with the seat, dash and handlebars all moulded together, but it suits my plans for one of them.

9 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Just found another surprise having dismantled one. The handlebars are a separate part from the dashboard so it will be possible to model other steering options. Wasn't expecting that, just a single-piece interior with the seat, dash and handlebars all moulded together, but it suits my plans for one of them.

ooh thats nifty! I would of expected it to be just 1 moulded lump as you say,

58th Control option, no controls, you control it telepathically LOL (as we already know the 57th option is the opaque windscreen for the blind)

speaking of Model 70's, it looks like I have finally sourced a replacement carb for REV :), which should hopefully be with Red5 this week (I have been informed that its been wrapped up and will be sent out shortly, that was at 8AM so hopefully he means sometime today! :) )

image.thumb.png.679edecfd30bd938a4e8a552078befa3.png

https://www.facebook.com/alan.hitchcock.71/posts/10225792285566492

Great news on the carb Dez, hopefully REV will be back on form soon.

I'm sure you all knew this was going to happen so here they are - AS's four most famous resident Model 70s in miniature. Having had the privilege of driving all four of them in the FOD they were an essential addition to my personal collection. Dolly still needs a steering wheel conversion and a representation of her special handbrake but that will be done when I find some suitable parts in my bits box. The fifth remains in original condition as KPK 71P.

Invacars4.thumb.jpg.44996dca7dc41d707f38c1bc5965acff.jpg

@dollywobbler @Zelandeth @Mrs6C

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I'm sure you all knew this was going to happen so here they are - AS's four most famous resident Model 70s in miniature. Having had the privilege of driving all four of them in the FOD they were an essential addition to my personal collection. Dolly still needs a steering wheel conversion and a representation of her special handbrake but that will be done when I find some suitable parts in my bits box. The fifth remains in original condition as KPK 71P.

Wish I still had my old Subbuteo sets, you could recreate a real event by the corner flag.

3 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Hah thats very cool the 4 amigos! :) (I was wondering  "who" the 5th car was!, perhaps KPL? but yeah good to have one standard :) )

yeah I am hoping with the replacement Carb, the rest of the items on REV's snagging list can then be attended to and hopefully her back before not long!

I am really eager to have her back and to build up driving experience :) 

as a side note I mentioned this in its own thread by @BorniteIdentity but I figured id mention it in my own thread

for those interested in stalking vehicles on the DVLA like I am, Carbaba seems to be working again :) 

On 02/04/2022 at 14:49, LightBulbFun said:

image.png.e74809b6ad97ce2808a7487bc0a18021.png

CarBaba is working again! https://www.carbaba.co.uk/

(question is, is for how long LOL)

but heres a Modern UAZ bread loaf just looked up as proof LOL

image.thumb.png.c5ae06238a464e71042d445872e138f7.png

Here's a couple more for you, from the Netflix S*vile doc. (I have cropped out Sir Jim, don't worry)

1646323950_Screenshot2022-04-07at22_52_28.thumb.png.1a42bb186e33d8230558ae72772db866.png

So a Mk12 of some description, right? But what's behind? The roofline looks incredibly upright and the glass is very 'square' (ie, no radiused corners) but I also can't tell if it's the front or back of a car. What do we reckon?

51 minutes ago, barrett said:

Here's a couple more for you, from the Netflix S*vile doc. (I have cropped out Sir Jim, don't worry)

1646323950_Screenshot2022-04-07at22_52_28.thumb.png.1a42bb186e33d8230558ae72772db866.png

So a Mk12 of some description, right? But what's behind? The roofline looks incredibly upright and the glass is very 'square' (ie, no radiused corners) but I also can't tell if it's the front or back of a car. What do we reckon?

ooh very interesting! thats a tough one to figure out! but I THINK its an AC Acedes Model 57, Floppy top type, I think you can just make out the right hand side Fuel filler neck and the louvered grills of an AC model 57 

72736350_768324080284289_6767880362614849536_n.jpg

although none of the examples of Floppy top Model 57's I have pictures of quite match whats in your picture, there where however many revisions of the Model 57 and also the floppy top ones where often most customised to a users need, but still its an interesting one!

5748305950_0f307779ab_o.jpg

18897135119190a10f8f7c9ce40966baac14f994.jpg

14734764286_49d65208a2_o.jpg

image.png

speaking of Metal AC's I was very pleased to come across this picture the other week

51917503663_7af794d0e1_3k.thumb.jpeg.085ff9777e97bdde077a9e1100481057.jpeg

https://flic.kr/p/2n6LM4v

which was the last Invalid vehicle the PS-speicher transport museum  in Germany has, that I did not have a photo of 

so I am pleased to finally have photos of all of their invalid vehicles :) 

and im specficly pleased to have a photo of this one as its an AC Model 64! the Electric version of the Model 57, and only 3 (and 1/4th?) Model 64's are known to survive still

Theres the above Mk4

the Mk5 that Simon owns (which I just noticed has different indicator units, wonder if this was a late production change or something retrofitted over time)

s-l1600 (2) copy 3.jpg

and there is another Model 64 Mk4 thats thought to survive, but not even stuart has any pictures of it! so its a bit of mystery

10 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Hmm, no door handles? 

all Invalid vehicles Before the Model 70 only had 1 door!

for the most part on the nearside 

but there was a rare reverse control option for the AC Acedes Model 67 Mk15 which had its one door on the offside :) 

if you go to Page 134 (should be a link in the thread index!) you will see my public facing Pre Model 70 survivors list, where you can see how they had one door (and right at the end is the only known surviving reverse control Model 67)

(unless your asking me about NPJ340D in which case im not sure whats going on there exactly, the door is there just no handle, perhaps it was modified to be some sort of self latching and unlatching setup for someone who could not operate a regular door handle?)

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ooh very interesting! thats a tough one to figure out! but I THINK its an AC Acedes Model 57, Floppy top type, I think you can just make out the right hand side Fuel filler neck and the louvered grills of an AC model 57 

72736350_768324080284289_6767880362614849536_n.jpg

although none of the examples of Floppy top Model 57's I have pictures of quite match whats in your picture, there where however many revisions of the Model 57 and also the floppy top ones where often most customised to a users need, but still its an interesting one!

5748305950_0f307779ab_o.jpg

18897135119190a10f8f7c9ce40966baac14f994.jpg

14734764286_49d65208a2_o.jpg

image.png

That's the one that came to my mind. Lomax ambulance?

44 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

VJN out on a run today and still running beautifully. Does anyone know where I can get a new drive belt by the way? I'd like to have one in the car as a spare

IMG_20220410_125125.jpg

Awesome to see VJN out and about once more!  I was wondering how things where going with the mechanical overhaul :) 

the Dayco HP2020 is a good modern replacement for the Model 70's main drive belt

and theres also a shit load of NOS Genuine Model 70 ones floating around if you know who to ask :)

(I think 500 or something ridiculous like that)

make sure when you replace the drive belt that you get the pulley centres exactly 10.25 inches apart (this is a good thing to check for if your in that area so to speak anyways)

a lot of people try and tension the Model 70's drive belt by eye/feel but this is the incorrect way to do it and will lead to a poorly performing machine

it was so bad back in the day that Ministry had to issue a notice to approved repairers which was basically "RTFM!" :) 

BTW if you dont mind me asking, did something happen to your FaceBook account I went to quickly message you about something a while back and noticed your just showing as "FaceBook user" on my end, not sure you genuinely closed your account, or something has broken on my end!

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Awesome to see VJN out and about once more!  I was wondering how things where going with the mechanical overhaul :) 

the Dayco HP2020 is a good modern replacement for the Model 70's main drive belt

and theres also a shit load of NOS Genuine Model 70 ones floating around if you know who to ask :)

(I think 500 or something ridiculous like that)

make sure when you replace the drive belt that you get the pulley centres exactly 10.25 inches apart (this is a good thing to check for if your in that area so to speak anyways)

a lot of people try and tension the Model 70's drive belt by eye/feel but this is the incorrect way to do it and will lead to a poorly performing machine

it was so bad back in the day that Ministry had to issue a notice to approved repairers which was basically "RTFM!" :) 

BTW if you dont mind me asking, did something happen to your FaceBook account I went to quickly message you about something a while back and noticed your just showing as "FaceBook user" on my end, not sure you genuinely closed your account, or something has broken on my end!

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Yeah I closed my account.

2 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

Thanks, I'll have a look around.

Yeah I closed my account.

No problems, tis good to know!

In that case I might drop you PM on here in a bit with the details on where to find some belts

im just checking that the chap who has them is ok with me passing his details on :) 

well this is a bit exciting! 

for those who still remember the Pemrbrokeshire Car from way back in the early days of Invacars on Autoshite

image.png

I was just given a bit more info on it, that the site is being cleared and the cars are being sold off, and I got a couple more pictures of it

277976133_510865714000037_5652372788259588454_n.thumb.jpg.0402812f905413a8e41e18d3be024a19.jpg

278070163_929675727903819_6456207453056709413_n.thumb.jpg.71aa0058a21ebf3ee6527b0ada5ad594.jpg

so I finally have some idea on what it is at long last! as somewhat expected its a Model 70, rear end looks rather sad, but the rest of the bodywork looks to be pretty complete which is always good :) 

im hoping to get some more details to finally facilitate its rescue (somehow!)

in the meantime I was just looking at the new photos and wondering if its the same car as this one?

51cabdd44c44d125d72992130cbfc57b.thumb.jpeg.588274de16b9b3adfcb6b9f40443ad7a.jpeg

and it looks like it is! which is very interesting, note the same rear end damage and the same bit of rusty metal resting on the front

this was another Model 70 picture I have but had 0 details of other than where I found it on the internet, but I always noticed that it had some rather interesting rear end damage, like it had melted or been chemically attacked, which made me compare it just now and see they do look to be the same car which is very interesting :) 

(I wonder if the side glass is still on site/in the car somewhere?)