LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 hour ago, Sheefag said:

I see red5's making the most of combining his Toxic Masculinity with The Car Of His Dreams.

Fighting them off with a shitty stick, he is. You might want to hose out the interior if he gives it back.

spacer.png

sadly if @red5 is hoping to set some firsts on here im afraid @Mr_Bo11ox has already beaten him to it!

On 26/11/2012 at 21:36, Mr_Bo11ox said:

AC INVACAR, do I win £5?

(I assume it was said as a Joke, but on here you never know!)

9 hours ago, Sheefag said:

I see red5's making the most of combining his Toxic Masculinity with The Car Of His Dreams.

Fighting them off with a shitty stick, he is. You might want to hose out the interior if he gives it back.

spacer.png

Air-cooled V, rear engine, sliding doors....i need two sticks. 

At least I can get away now the brakes work. Off, and on. Then off again. Because, you know, bear skillz bruv. Etc.

3 hours ago, red5 said:

Air-cooled V, rear engine, sliding doors....i need two sticks. 

well air cooled flat twin, like a BMW Motorcycle!

but it can also be cheekily but amusingly mostly truthfully described as a hand built, all alloy hemi-head engined, light weight 2 Door coupe, manufactured by a Famous sports car/motorbike manufacturer, and was the fastest in its class, being almost twice as fast as any other vehicle in its class :)

22 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

well air cooled flat twin, like a BMW Motorcycle!

but it can also be cheekily but amusingly mostly truthfully described as a hand built, all alloy hemi-head engined, light weight 2 Door coupe, manufactured by a Famous sports car/motorbike manufacturer, and was the fastest in its class, being almost twice as fast as any other vehicle in its class :)

Not a coupe, certainly not in old money.  More like a shrank in the wash 105E

On 1/31/2022 at 8:58 PM, Out Run said:

Give over, man. It's just a bit of craic.

Stop being so easily offended and lighten [LOLZ] up a bit! Most people on here enjoy a bit of a laugh and reply in kind.

Seeing as you brought it up, not sharing the details of the reg checking tool is a dick move, yes. Given when you first joined here you were asking all and sundry which sites and apps they used, yet when someone shared that one with you, you had to keep it your own little secret, to the detriment of myself - and others who have expressed interest - under the guise of having to add money to it, in order for it to work.

50p a check isn't a lot of money to most adults, mate.

What do you want btw, do you want me banned? 😂 Believe me, I have said very little.

If you think this reads as a big deal, I suggest you visit and optometrist. 🙃

Troll you are. No quantity of smilies will change that. Much as I disagree with the modding policy on here it's against the rules.

19 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Posting with the intent of getting a reaction is the definition of trolling. 

A troll is someone who disrupts for the sole purpose of creating discord between the contributors, whether in person or online.

A flamer is someone who makes personal attacks or sends aggressive or insulting messages.

A spammer posts unsolicited adverts or proselytises a cause in a forum

A shitposter fills a thread with unrelated content. Normally by typing stuff like ‘snsjcownakgooekbsxujensn ahdiifirj sjsiif’ or by dragging a thread off on an unrelated tangent (a type of spamming or trolling)

A sockpuppet is an alter ego or egos of an existing or ex member purely there to bolster the original member’s opinion of cause.

To all intents and purposes you could consider this post is me shitposting as it has nothing to do with the thread subject. 

On 05/02/2022 at 00:25, red5 said:

Not a coupe, certainly not in old money.  More like a shrank in the wash 105E

well if you look up the definition of Coupe it says sloping rear/rear roof line, it does not specify in which way the rear/rear roof line should slope :mrgreen:

image.png.17b1446aa3e7f464ed968a545925652b.png

but yeah thats why I said mostly truthfully! I do realise that coupe is stretching things a bit, but you could otherwise describe it as a 2 door hard top (convertible) LOL since the roof does just unbolt, and is not structural in anyway!

34 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

Luckily I have both to compare 😎

IMG_20220206_135618.jpg

Hah very cool! you just need a Citroen Ami, a Reliant regal and a Bond Mini car then you will have the breezeway rear window set more or less :) 

(and an AC Acedes Model 67 if you want to get pedantic!)

31 minutes ago, red5 said:

Nope, still not a coupe, not a convertible or drop-head coupe if we're getting all 'oooh, look at me'.

no the drop head coupe is the soft top version of the AC Acedes Model 57 and Model 64 :mrgreen:

18897135119190a10f8f7c9ce40966baac14f994.jpg

and I know of one Laramr car was genuinely registered  as a Tourer when it was new! (and still registered as such) 

image.png

On 2/5/2022 at 11:17 AM, somewhatfoolish said:

Troll you are. No quantity of smilies will change that. Much as I disagree with the modding policy on here it's against the rules.

I've got two accounts, mate. I'm clearly SUPER PRO LEVEL. Search my posts and see how I bring chaos to every thread!

Congrats @worldofcerifor not creating a Frank Spenceresque scenario, when loading the machine and nice work @red5 , it's good to know this will be road legal now, when out and about.

On 06/02/2022 at 13:53, dozeydustman said:

A troll is someone who disrupts for the sole purpose of creating discord between the contributors, whether in person or online.

A flamer is someone who makes personal attacks or sends aggressive or insulting messages.

A spammer posts unsolicited adverts or proselytises a cause in a forum

A shitposter fills a thread with unrelated content. Normally by typing stuff like ‘snsjcownakgooekbsxujensn ahdiifirj sjsiif’ or by dragging a thread off on an unrelated tangent (a type of spamming or trolling)

A sockpuppet is an alter ego or egos of an existing or ex member purely there to bolster the original member’s opinion of cause.

To all intents and purposes you could consider this post is me shitposting as it has nothing to do with the thread subject. 

Ooh, I'm a shit poster.  Everything I write is rubbish!  

On 2/5/2022 at 6:39 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

Posting with the intent of getting a reaction is the definition of trolling. 

As I'm sure* you are aware that is Posting for Effect. It certainly can be a facet of a Troll and their activities.

DD puts it succinctly.

WoC and myself had a somewhat challenging situation when attempting to get the thing off the trailer. With a lot of onlookers. No pressure there. 😁

On 06/02/2022 at 20:31, Mrcento said:

Without wishing to derail the thread, It always interests me the sheer burning rage those cars receive from people of a certain age, right up to this day.

Whatever they symbolise, to you, that's a reflection on society and the government of the time issuing them, it's not the fault of the vehicles themselves. It seems like very misplaced anger. You might not like younger folk almost having them as toys and be ashamed at what they represented at the time, but that's also not on them any more than the car.

this is something that I Have found quite interesting as well

just how much as you say irrational hate that these cars get from people even on this forum where you would least expect it being the home for shite cars, I think, it parly stems from today the same sort of hate you get from people towards Motablity cars, and the comments you see on them "everyone getting free 4x4's and BMW's" (never mind the fact a Motablity car does take a good chunk of your PIP benefit, and if you want something like a Fancy 4x4, you have to pay an upfront several thousand pound cost to make up the difference)

so I think the hate towards Invacars is just an older version of that, given people where just not very nice towards disabled people back then! and also the massive 1970's "smear" campaign the press launched against them, having permanently convinced a lot of people that they are utterly awful Shit not shite vehicles, and refuse to believe otherwise/listen to any reason otherwise

and despite having never actually driven one to make their own assessment of one

it always reminds me how top gear made that episode on Reliant Robins falling over at every slight bend, and it now has convinced the general public that reliant always fall over, when it actuality if you actually take your time out to drive one, you will see they are perfectly competent cars

its also interesting because I have now had  a surprising amount of the people who have said "you should ditch the horrible old Invacar and get something else" recommend that I get an Elswick envoy instead

which is very perplexing because I dont see how an Elswick envoy would be any easier for me to keep on the road then a Model 70, both are 40~ year old vehicles which will both run into the same issues

for example the binding brakes issue REV had is something that could plague have just as easily plagued an Elswick Envoy, it was not a Model 70 specific fault that caused me such a pickle, and If I tried calling a garage to fix the brakes on an Elswick Enovy for me id probably get an even more WTF is one of those reaction then I would with an Invacar LOL

and that I find proves to me that, what they are saying is because they disagree with the Invacar itself, something about it just sets them off, so they try and find any excuse they can to tell me that I should ditch it and why I should ditch it

I am not denying the fact that these same people  want to see go the sensible K11 Micra route for my own genuine benefit, but I do feel a lot of it is also because their own personal vendetta against the Invacar, and I had gotten myself something like a Morris minor the response would be much different

and never have I seen a car that has caused such a reaction on this forum for shite cars...

I also find (at the risk of bringing this can of worms back up) on the K11 front, is how black and white people are about it, I have been explaining since Page 12 of this thread! why I chose Invacar over the sensible Micra Route, but people will still try and tell me to get a K11 Micra, despite the fact that I have kindly explained why I wont many times before, and then they get angry at you for not doing what they think you should do,  (and again I have a number of those same people as above also recommend the Elswick Envoy which just makes no sense from a "get something less likely to leave you stuck" perspective)

and so they start taking their anger from me not doing what they said I should do,  out the Invacar itself, what people I think fail to realise on this front is, I AGREE a K11 Micra IS the sensible choice that I SHOULD go down, but due to reasons already explained (many times!) I simply do not wish to go down that route, and yet for some reason people seem to act like im shouting against them for daring to suggest a sensible choice?, I wish people would see that I agree with them but that I simply wish to wear a different colour shirt then what they might prefer me to wear

I mean people dont go posting in Captain 70s's threads all the time "ditch the Dolomite and get a K11 Micra!" so why is it that I always get these comments?

its just a shame that its the case even on this forum, where you will be applauded for saving or dailying a Morris Marina or some other car that the public normally dismiss as crap

but mention Invacars and you get a tirade of abuse, Too shite for Autoshite as they say LOL

but as such I feel I cant even post about my car in a personal manner, anywhere on here for fear of being jumped on, take the post i made in the bus thread, where I was not even specifically talking about them, just simply using the fact I have an Invacar, to joking demonstrate that I never claimed to be "not strange" since someone jokingly said Routemaster enthusiasts where strange (of which I am a Routemaster enthusiast) so It was just meant to be a light harted response to say I never claimed to be normal in the first place so to speak! :) 

but someone jumped down my throat for mentioning them, and then in an earlier incident someone else was making Autoshite Top trump cards, where you post a picture of your own Shite car and someone would make a card for it, so I posted my car, only for it to cause a member to leave the forum!

and it makes me a bit depressed, in that I feel I cant participate in any threads like that, or even mention them at all anywhere outside of this thread and 1 or 2 others

for example I have a nice picture of REV at sunset(ish!) id like to post there, but I have never done so because I fear ill just end up upsetting a bunch of people, and get a torrent of abuse, for posting about Invacars

IMG_0502.thumb.JPG.ed988d1d4c56b3914667c88340f848d9.JPG

I do realise the abuse is generally from the same members and not representative of everyone on here, but it sure does get to you 

I feel like im being forced to exclude myself from the forum just because of my choice of Automobile

Gentle advice, nobody minds you posting about them in this thread, people can then choose to avoid it.

I think you will find a lot of the hated towards these vehicles will go away if they are kept contained within their own thread.

Having mentions of them in multiple unrelated threads for no reason other than taking about them isn't going to help your cause.

If you get tired or get some spare time may I suggest trying researching unsealed vehicular rights of way, they can be absolutely fascinating teaching their origin back.

Your too agreeable imo which sort of means that your taking on the awkward position of having an unpopular but harmless opinion which serves as a magnet for people on a different wavelength, however in such a complex social makeup your better off basically taking a 2x4 to unnecessarily barbed comments

As a side note, if this thread was about marinas,,the flak would be similar imo 'it will never start in the morning,,you'll be welding it forever,,fuel consumption,,trunnions will probably fail, they handing is dangerously,,useless in winter,,probably get stolen,,fucking hell don't mention A series engines and torsion bars you'll get him started  etc etc ad infinitum.

9 hours ago, DodgeRover said:

Gentle advice, nobody minds you posting about them in this thread, people can then choose to avoid it.

I think you will find a lot of the hated towards these vehicles will go away if they are kept contained within their own thread.

Having mentions of them in multiple unrelated threads for no reason other than taking about them isn't going to help your cause.

the problem is I mostly do!

I will agree that yeah go back a couple years I was quite post happy about them, they are my Jam and what I like to talk about

for example in the ebay tat thread I used to enjoy posting a matching Invacar if someone posted a car from the same registration series as one, Invacar snap is what I call it LOL in the same way people will point out "LOL thats got Morris marina door handles!"

but I have not done that for a good while and ill tend to drag it over to this thread if I do

and I have mostly concentrated things to my thread in the past year and a bit yet still, the abuse comes, as then people people berate me for having such a large thread thats always at the top of the forum index

9 hours ago, DodgeRover said:

but thats the thing in the recent times I have mentioned them outside of this thread, its not been to talk about Invacars, its just been a bit light hearted self deprecation or just wanting to take part in something a forum member was doing!

and I still get jumped on

as mentioned imagine what would be said if I did post a picture of my car in the sunset thread, I would just get berated for posting about invacars despite the fact the thread is about posting your own car at sunset, and thats exactly what I would be doing

8 hours ago, Jikovron said:

Your too agreeable imo which sort of means that your taking on the awkward position of having an unpopular but harmless opinion which serves as a magnet for people on a different wavelength, however in such a complex social makeup your better off basically taking a 2x4 to unnecessarily barbed comments

As a side note, if this thread was about marinas,,the flak would be similar imo 'it will never start in the morning,,you'll be welding it forever,,fuel consumption,,trunnions will probably fail, they handing is dangerously,,useless in winter,,probably get stolen,,fucking hell don't mention A series engines and torsion bars you'll get him started  etc etc ad infinitum.

indeed!

I was going to say "but Captain 70s does not get such flak with his 70's cars", but giving it some thought I think the reason Captain 70s does not get such flak, is because he is always self deprecative about himself and his cars (and he is very good about posting about his misfortunes in very humours ways that always makes me feel bad/guilty after I laugh at them LOL) he will always be negative about his cars

where as I tend to take an optimistic/positive view to things, which I think people seem to see fit to try and beat down on for some reason

There was a sizeable proportion of people did pile in captain 70s thread with continuous pressure to bin off the acclaim/dolomite as hopeless cases when the rot was revealed to be extreme and what actually then occurred was massive KO to the doubters as the acclaim is still antagonising traffic and the 1300 isn't far behind, imo once you get that invacar back ,,,drive the flippin wheels off it man as that would be a fair FO to the doubters, i think collectively we want to see shit loads of random adventures 'by invacar' ,,you know the score,,getting tubes,,Southend for a kebab,,Essex records,,,Monaco for a weekend marathon drug and sex fueled blow out etc