LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

3 hours ago, AdgeCutler said:

Rotten would be a better description, though MPU  did seem to have fared the years of being part of a woodland better than Brian had.

Quite a bit better actually, it really just needs a sill, a battery box and a plate over a pin sized hole in the main chassis tube. I really don't know how it has such a good chassis compared to others from the same field.

On 14/01/2022 at 20:58, CaptainBoom said:

Good to see Herr Flick from 'Allo 'Allo on the left got some work after getting hold of the Fallen Madonna by Van Klump

642974936_heerflick.thumb.jpg.d3ca02b07b3514139468b54610244692.jpg

I've met him and Kim Hartman (Helga).  Nice people.  The Herr Flick glasses are real, i.e. fitted with prescription lenses and worn as part of the actor's travelling clothes.  For obvious reasons they don't travel in costume.  

32 minutes ago, Mally said:

As fibreglass repairs go that's not bad to do.

I've fixed worse, but no I'm not volunteering, and my repair was on something that didn't really matter  as it had a roll cage.

Yeah it definitely looks fixable, @LightBulbFun has message the chap in hopes he may change his mind about hanging onto it, so fingers crossed.

not much going on with REV atm, but I did finally run out of excuses I mean catch some decent weather, to try out the Trolley Jack

pleased to report, its so much easier to use then the scissor jack, but as I feared much more of a faff to bring up and downstairs, hoping I can figure out an easier way of carrying it up and down stairs, im sure I can figure something out :) 

but im pleased at how easy and quick it was to get REV up in the air :) although it is a fair bit more bulky then the scissor jack which makes placing axle stands a fun game as @Mrs6C says the Jack is in the way of exactly where you want to place the axle stand LOL

this gave me an opportunity to finally check REV's front wheel brake, which im pleased to report does seem to functioning just fine, curious how both the rear brakes have failed in the exact same binding manner but the front is fine!

it spins freely (apart from slight drag from the brake shoes every half-ish revelation but I understand thats normal), and it locks up as it should when brakes are applied and releases as it should when brakes are released :) ,

heres a video of me spinning the wheel,  and also giving it a wobble, there is a bit of play and a slight clunk, not sure if its an acceptable amount of free play and clunkage or if its a bad thing! I mean she drives fine I dont notice anything amiss there but figure its still worth noting

(note im just spinning the wheel in the video, I would of videoed me applying the brakes as well but I dont have 3 extra long arms! and theres nothing to see, as as above the front brake thankfully works fine!)

I also managed to solve the issue of the floppy indicator stalk which im quite pleased about! :) (as I thought it would be one of those PITA jobs)

simply turned out the little retention peg on the indicator stalk 

2001878975_IMG_01512.thumb.JPG.7fdd4501c5d449dc901278d9701ca728.JPG

had not been located in the hole for it in the handle bars! (theres one either side as the indicator can be either side depending on your preference/disabilities etc)

407175661_IMG_01502.thumb.JPG.67d13cb77ed69854f41b053c86b25043.JPG

once I made sure it was suitably located, things where rock solid, and it even solved the issue of the stalk fowling on the cowling which is nice :) 

I don't see too much free play on the wheel bearing, though it is a little hard to tell.  I would assume it is a pair of ball bearings rather then rollers, and if so there shouldn't be any.

There does seem to be some clunkage on the steering, so maybe have a look at the ball joints.  Any play is probably easier to see with someone else waggling the handlebars.

The front brake has to work a lot harder than the rears, and this tends to stop it binding.

37 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not much going on with REV atm, but I did finally run out of excuses I mean catch some decent weather, to try out the Trolley Jack

pleased to report, its so much easier to use then the scissor jack, but as I feared much more of a faff to bring up and downstairs, hoping I can figure out an easier way of carrying it up and down stairs, im sure I can figure something out :) 

but im pleased at how easy and quick it was to get REV up in the air :) although it is a fair bit more bulky then the scissor jack which makes placing axle stands a fun game as @Mrs6C says the Jack is in the way of exactly where you want to place the axle stand LOL

this gave me an opportunity to finally check REV's front wheel brake, which im pleased to report does seem to functioning just fine, curious how both the rear brakes have failed in the exact same binding manner but the front is fine!

it spins freely (apart from slight drag from the brake shoes every half-ish revelation but I understand thats normal), and it locks up as it should when brakes are applied and releases as it should when brakes are released :) ,

heres a video of me spinning the wheel,  and also giving it a wobble, there is a bit of play and a slight clunk, not sure if its an acceptable amount of free play and clunkage or if its a bad thing! I mean she drives fine I dont notice anything amiss there but figure its still worth noting

(note im just spinning the wheel in the video, I would of videoed me applying the brakes as well but I dont have 3 extra long arms! and theres nothing to see, as as above the front brake thankfully works fine!)

I also managed to solve the issue of the floppy indicator stalk which im quite pleased about! :) (as I thought it would be one of those PITA jobs)

simply turned out the little retention peg on the indicator stalk 

2001878975_IMG_01512.thumb.JPG.7fdd4501c5d449dc901278d9701ca728.JPG

had not been located in the hole for it in the handle bars! (theres one either side as the indicator can be either side depending on your preference/disabilities etc)

407175661_IMG_01502.thumb.JPG.67d13cb77ed69854f41b053c86b25043.JPG

once I made sure it was suitably located, things where rock solid, and it even solved the issue of the stalk fowling on the cowling which is nice :) 

I'd definitely say thats a bit too much clunkage, I 2nd the ball joint advice. Also a good plan to check the grease points whilst you're under there

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

pleased to report, its so much easier to use then the scissor jack, but as I feared much more of a faff to bring up and downstairs, hoping I can figure out an easier way of carrying it up and down stairs, im sure I can figure something out :)  :)

@Mrs6C

A big bucket and some rope. Just lower it down and hope it is still there by the time you get down there. Could be used for spares too. For a more professional look fit a pulley wheel to your balcony so the bucket clears the lower floor balconies and doesn't drag up the walls. 

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I don't see too much free play on the wheel bearing, though it is a little hard to tell.  I would assume it is a pair of ball bearings rather then rollers, and if so there shouldn't be any.

There does seem to be some clunkage on the steering, so maybe have a look at the ball joints.  Any play is probably easier to see with someone else waggling the handlebars.

The front brake has to work a lot harder than the rears, and this tends to stop it binding.

interesting :) indeed its a pair of ball bearings, the front wheel bearings are SKF RLS 7 and SKF RLS 6

I agree I could do with someone at the handle bars while someone gives the front wheel a wiggle and vice versa

for what its worth when the cars on the ground I dont think theres any/much noticable play at the handle bars

but its something id double check to be safe, but certainly I cant recall any

31 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

Sorry but to me it looks to be an issue other than steering. We are looking down from the top of the wheel and it seems there is a lot of lateral movement at the top and bottom of the wheel.

indeed the lateral movement is what caught my eye the most

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

^^ Thirded, that play isn't from the wheel bearing, it's from a linkage downstream as you can see the steering arm (?) moving with the wheel.

yeah I was told that she might have front wheel bearing issues, but knowing whats happened I figured its something worth checking myself and I am glad I did! I just hope whatever really is the issue is a relatively easy fix!

7 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Stick a stamp on the little blue fucker, mark it urgent & post it to @red5.

Working on it  :)

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Bring it on. 

ah did you see my latest PM from the 12th of Jan on that? I I think I need an address from you to get an accurate transport quote :) 

(the person I contacted with regards to getting her transported said he needs an address )

I am wondering @Zelandeth what do you think of the movement/clunking in the video do you know how does it compare with TPA? :) 

Hello All, haven't been on here for a while, health not been good and made a big decision to go and live in France, currently debating whether to take the Invacar there!!  I'm selling some of the collection off..... Here's the first, the oldest, I think, hand propelled, Victorian, on Ebay, restored.  

Also a Fisher Holivan, see other listings........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304317561285

Hope your all well?  All the best, OldBloke, x

Screenshot_2021-09-28-20-58-00_kindlephoto-2256576508.png

Screenshot_2021-09-28-20-58-29_kindlephoto-2256404293.png

5 hours ago, OldBlokeInACaravan said:

Hello All, haven't been on here for a while, health not been good and made a big decision to go and live in France, currently debating whether to take the Invacar there!!  I'm selling some of the collection off..... Here's the first, the oldest, I think, hand propelled, Victorian, on Ebay, restored.  

Also a Fisher Holivan, see other listings........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304317561285

Hope your all well?  All the best, OldBloke, x

Screenshot_2021-09-28-20-58-00_kindlephoto-2256576508.png

Screenshot_2021-09-28-20-58-29_kindlephoto-2256404293.png

Hello again!

its very awesome to hear from you once more! I have been wondering how things have been going :)

im sorry to hear health has been playing up I hope things have since improved!

some interesting hand propelled carriages you have there! its nice to see some hand propelled carriages in good shape  a lot of the hand propelled carriages you see tend to be in pretty sad shape from being neglected for 50-100 years!

have to admit I would obviously prefer to see VJN953S remain in the UK as I dont like seeing Invacars exported out of the country, but obviously if it means a lot to you then I want you to keep it of course :) it would not be alone at least! there is a Tippen Delta 8 in a private collection somewhere in France :) 

2000004627689.thumb.jpeg.07494b5a81a8b6f63dddb82dd0b15484.jpeg

if your otherwise worried about finding it a good home, im more then happy to help with finding a good and suitable home for it :) (or you could keep it in the UK as your visiting car, its £NIL rate tax and probably very cheap to insure for you, cheaper then a hire car when visiting!)

4 hours ago, OldBlokeInACaravan said:

My Stanley/Argson Hand Propelled listed on EBay also.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304317720812

IMG-0362.jpg

thats pretty cool! I think the Stanley Argson was the only invalid carriage made in all 3 forms of propulsion, Hand propelled, petrol and of course Electric for which there most well known

it would be cool to get all 3 types lined up at some point :) 

speaking of Argsons, did you manage to assemble all the Heywood specials you managed to acquire with VJN953S? :) 

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I don't often contribute to this thread, but a colleague this morning found a GIF in the MS Teams library which appears to be a shortened Morris Minor panda car playing skittles with a colourful selection of Mk12s.

giphy.gif?cid=de9bf95eej7aw151tuz65ocoidlqk1r1f92qary28pqfwtf5&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Is that from Monty Python? Looks very much like Terry Gilliam’s work

19 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I don't often contribute to this thread, but a colleague this morning found a GIF in the MS Teams library which appears to be a shortened Morris Minor panda car playing skittles with a colourful selection of Mk12s.

giphy.gif?cid=de9bf95eej7aw151tuz65ocoidlqk1r1f92qary28pqfwtf5&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

hah thats amusing! I had seen it in picture form but not in GIF form :) 

its from Monty Python's Flying Circus :) 

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_84183-Invacar-Mk12.html

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Hello again!

its very awesome to hear from you once more! I have been wondering how things have been going :)

im sorry to hear health has been playing up I hope things have since improved!

some interesting hand propelled carriages you have there! its nice to see some hand propelled carriages in good shape  a lot of the hand propelled carriages you see tend to be in pretty sad shape from being neglected for 50-100 years!

have to admit I would obviously prefer to see VJN953S remain in the UK as I dont like seeing Invacars exported out of the country, but obviously if it means a lot to you then I want you to keep it of course :) it would not be alone at least! there is a Tippen Delta 8 in a private collection somewhere in France :) 

2000004627689.thumb.jpeg.07494b5a81a8b6f63dddb82dd0b15484.jpeg

if your otherwise worried about finding it a good home, im more then happy to help with finding a good and suitable home for it :) (or you could keep it in the UK as your visiting car, its £NIL rate tax and probably very cheap to insure for you, cheaper then a hire car when visiting!)

thats pretty cool! I think the Stanley Argson was the only invalid carriage made in all 3 forms of propulsion, Hand propelled, petrol and of course Electric for which there most well known

it would be cool to get all 3 types lined up at some point :) 

speaking of Argsons, did you manage to assemble all the Heywood specials you managed to acquire with VJN953S? :) 

Aaawwwww thank you for your kind words,   yes, health dodgy, hence the big decision to move to France, the problem with taking the Invacar is purely cost, it's working out ridiculous,  I've got the Nelco Solocar to take, the other two electric Argsons and the Petrol one!!  Please see the pics attached, taken a couple of years ago, where they were all out and about raising money for the British Legion.......   Chat soon, all the best......

Nowt has happened with the spares yet, hopefully they will be coming with me!! 

IMG-0364.jpg

IMG-0365.jpg

IMG-0366.jpg

IMG-0367.jpg

IMG-0363.jpg

3 hours ago, OldBlokeInACaravan said:

Aaawwwww thank you for your kind words,   yes, health dodgy, hence the big decision to move to France, the problem with taking the Invacar is purely cost, it's working out ridiculous,  I've got the Nelco Solocar to take, the other two electric Argsons and the Petrol one!!  Please see the pics attached, taken a couple of years ago, where they were all out and about raising money for the British Legion.......   Chat soon, all the best......

Nowt has happened with the spares yet, hopefully they will be coming with me!! 

IMG-0364.jpg

IMG-0365.jpg

IMG-0366.jpg

IMG-0367.jpg

IMG-0363.jpg

im sorry to hear that costs are being a bit much! I hope your other invalid carriages make it over safe and sound :) 

3 hours ago, OldBlokeInACaravan said:

Because of my move to France, I've had to list my unstarted Stanley/Argson Electric Invalid Carriage Project on Ebay, all complete and not too bad, collect from Morecambe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304320465383

Oooh thats interesting JPL548! Its not a Stanley Argson thats on any of my lists, but its registration mark sounds so familiar! I wonder I have seen it somewhere before, but I would of made a note about it and I also note its live on the DVLA and so I would of pulled its details for the when I saw it and added it to my lists when I saw if I did indeed see it before, although I do note its had a V5c recently issued so perhaps it was only recently brought back to life on the DVLA?

ill have to grab its full details tomorrow once im on the main computer :) 

image.thumb.png.0176d717c87257d0c8bf5b1cb03e150f.png

is it just being used as an example machine of whats being sold? or JPL548 the actual carriage being sold?

because I note your listing says its UPE517 thats, for sale which is one of the Heywood specials :) (theres actually a period picture of UPE517 in the Heywood stores in the mid 1990's which will be going into Stuarts big book :) )

and JPL548 is an Argson where as UPE517 is an Argson Deluxe (and then further fitted with 12 inch Ministry standard wheels as some late service Argsons where)  so I am just trying to figure out whats what :) 

its a real shame I dont have a garage or something such, as id quite like an electric Stanley Argson :) 

and before anyone asks no I cant just sneak it into the FoD sadly as the Open invalid carriages really do need to be kept under cover to stop them deteriorating, otherwise I would be very tempted to buy UPE for myself! would be a fun way of doing the really local shopping/chippy runs where your only going 0.5 miles and it would be unhealthy to a petrol engine vehicle

1 hour ago, Harriytait said:

Has this one been shared yet? :)

b03cf48742b9866fd727e3b6436c4e61.jpeg

indeed it has by @Mrs6C all the way back on Page 82! :)

On 21/10/2019 at 20:06, Mrs6C said:

Have you got RAR88R on your list?

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Supporters+-+Disabled+Supporters

A quick internet search of "invalid carriages at football matches" turns up a whole selection of interesting old photos!

I appreciate the heads up tho still :)