LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Would agree that the sensible thing for Dez(and most of the rest of us) to do would be to buy a small modern hatchback that definitely doesn't need a regas M9. But this is Autoshite, the antithesis of that sort of thing. As dreams go, it's actually not much really.Initially, Dez justs wants to drive safely to the chipshop in what must be one of the least complicated machines ever. Now he is so close, he'd never forgive himself if he gave up on it. 

26 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

I agree that it's his thread and he can post whatever he wants here but myself and others are just trying to play devil's advocate and offer a counterpoint that our life experiences have taught us.

Fair enough. But at his age I was obsessed with impractical vehicles. I mentioned the RM (constantly, some of you will say) but I also had shares in an old (1957) diesel train that was based 100 miles from where I live in Hastings (I mean the train was in Hastings,I was and still am in Southampton). I went there at least once a month if not more. I wasn't doing it for practicality, that's for sure. I was doing it because I wanted to. 

And once I learned to drive I bought a fleet of old Leyland chod and spread them around three different council car parks on our estate with usually no more than two taxed and insured at any one time but it was a lot easier in those days, you could get away with leaving untaxed cars in car parks for a little while with a bit of juggling. But Dez doesn't have that option now. 

4 minutes ago, Mally said:

Read it already, legacy iirc.    I tend to remember your more risque posts though.

I went to school  on a 250 BSA C11G. The wealthy ones had Nortons.

My son used a Dutton Phaeton, that worked with the girls at the time.

I made a part for one of them the other day on my lathe. The BSA, not the Dutton. 

Just now, Yoss said:

We're talking about the Lamborghini again are we? 

32 years on and I'm scratching my head as to why I wanted an Espada in the first place? They were never my dream car as a kid. IIRC, I was negotiating over a 6 cylinder Aston DBS first with a guy in Oldham but the deal fell through.

In 1987 ,£350 got you a freshly resprayed white ,with a tan colour new vinyl roof and immaculate light tan interior ,with a sweet engined N reg ,1975/76 ,Ford Cortina MK3 2000e .... Unfortunately it didn't stay immaculate for long , I parked it 3 feet up in a big fk off oak tree with the assistance of a humpback bridge and a useless navigator !!!

15 hours ago, Yoss said:

is essentially the history of the Invacar. All of them, not just model 70s.

speaking of which!

got some juicy content on the Harper front which I think @barrett might find most interesting

I came across this website which has a large collection of period Black and white photos https://www.stilltimecollection.co.uk/

and in there was a nice collection of photos from one of the (1955 IIRC) invalid tricycle rallies :) 

first up are these 2 most curious prototype Harpers maybe predating the final design of the production Harper Mk1

abi824.thumb.jpeg.71a0b3d91e71b1c2c111848a76d50677.jpeg

for comparisons here is a production Harper Mk1, note that the production Mk1 has a lot more body moulded bits, like the bumper, outboard indicators and rear wheel arch lip, I almost wonder if the Prototype above is actually made of metal like an Acedes or Invacar Mk10/10A/11 rather then Fibreglass? but then again the harpers whole thing was that it was made of Fibreglass (and that is what the production Mk1 is made from) also note the prototype has an opening bonnet which the Production Mk1 does not have

image.png

I say predating Mk1's but looking at the dates its said the Mk1 was introduced in July 1954, however if this is the 1955 ITA Rally then that is obviously later than the Mk1's introduction, I wonder if these might be a form of Prototype Mk2 or Mk3? (we are not sure if they ever saw the light of day but it could be the Mk2 and Mk3 where just under the hood changes so are not externally recognisable like the Mk4 which we know did enter production and had strengthening ribs along the side of the body)

ill have to double check the dates with Stuart, but its most curious

then there are these curious things, Harper Adler prototypes, I THINK these are supposed to be microcars with Haprer working with the german Adler company to produce something along the same lines as the AC All weather tricycle based Buckland runabout, but dont quote me on that because details are very thin on the ground!

abi829.thumb.jpeg.8806b3be26cb8f7beec671290a7ca780.jpeg

abi822.thumb.jpeg.429ec4ffe862acadbef353f768a3d4d0.jpeg

other exciting/interesting photos I found was a non potato picture of the Padwin Prototype! :) 

abi825.thumb.jpeg.eeff112ec62ffd3852d1104f04dd5517.jpeg

and an engine bay shot of the Prototype Invacar Mk9 which never reached production, but was the missing link between the Canvas bodied Invacar Mk8A and the full metal Jacket bodied Invacar Mk10 :) 

abi823.thumb.jpeg.017ff1000087f37406afdf55254beec3.jpeg

and finally this much older 1930's photo of a couple? in his and hers Nelco Solocars :) well being this old, 1935 (going by the registration marks), they would be Murphy Auto-Electric Carriages rather then Nelco Solocars! its interesting to note theres some sort of plaque/plate mounted to the front nose I wonder what that is exactly

aak827.thumb.jpeg.7cc554d6cc9f555ea10c3061ad869ae9.jpeg

I had thought those had probably been discussed here ages ago so I have never asked about them, but the little slug-shaped Harpers have always intrigued me. When you say 'Adler' are you talking about the German company? They do have a vaguely Continental look to them - could they be German invalid carriages (of which there seem to be quite a few different types) which were to be sold in the UK under the Harper name? They look like single-seaters with handlebar control, so I'd be surprised if they were meant to be sold as private cars - and the event they're shown at is obviously one for disabled drivers

had a go at applying the exhaust bandage to REV's holed down pipe :) 

sadly I slightly* under estimated how hard it would be to apply when your flat on your back under the car!  so it did not quite go on as neatly as I hoped, but I got there in the end

I messed up sadly and applied it too far down the end of the pipe meaning the outer radius part of the pipe going towards the engine did not get as much bandage as id of liked, and indeed on starting her its blowing from there now (but its not blowing from the holed area now at least!)

although I do wonder if I gave it a bit too much throttle before letting it cure properly it does say you can run the engine at to help things set so I did start the engine up after applying it to see if I could hear any difference 

it I think sounds a bit better compared to previously so not an entirely wasted endeavour but I think its still a bit blowy? 

to make up for the fact id miss placed the bandage and seeing it was still blowing a bit after that video, I covered the ends of the bandage in some exhaust paste, thinking about it, I should of just got another bandage to extend the existing one from where it was now blowing

but I did not want to keep pouring money into whats just supposed to be 3 quid experiment LOL hoping tomorrow once everything has set proper to go back and see how things are :)

Just hope I managed to get sufficient exhaust paste on, it was blowing from the outside radius of the pipe, where the least amount of bandage was, but it was also the most difficult area to get into with the spatula so I was doing things by feel there!

I do feel like, if actually done properly the bandage would work :) 

id also like to do an oil change, I wanted to do it today, but realised I could not carry everything downstairs with me, and its a good thing I didn't as the exhaust bodging took much longer than I anticipated and I was knackered after it

but im pleased to report my method for using a ratchet with my jack works well! its still quite labor intensive for me but much easier then the stock handle was :) 

14 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

had a go at applying the exhaust bandage to REV's holed down pipe :) 

sadly I slightly* under estimated how hard it would be to apply when your flat on your back under the car!  so it did not quite go on as neatly as I hoped, but I got there in the end

however I messed up sadly and applied it too far down the end of the pipe meaning the outer radius part of the pipe going towards the engine did not get as much bandage as id of liked, and indeed on starting her its blowing from there now (but its not blowing from the holed area now at least!)

although I do wonder if I gave it a bit too much throttle before letting it cure properly it does say you can run the engine at to help things set so I did start the engine up after applying it to see if I could hear any difference 

it I think sounds a bit better compared to previously so not an entirely wasted endeavour but I think its still a bit blowy? 

to make up for the fact id miss placed the bandage and seeing it was still blowing a bit after that video, I covered the ends of the bandage in some exhaust paste, thinking about it, I should of just got another bandage to extend the existing one from where it was now blowing

but I did not want to keep pouring money into whats just supposed to be 3 quid experiment LOL hoping tomorrow once everything has set proper to go back and see how things are :)

Just hope I managed to get sufficient exhaust paste on, it was blowing from the outside radius of the pipe, where the least amount of bandage was, but it was also the most difficult area to get into with the spatula so I was doing things by feel there!

I do feel like, if actually done properly the bandage would work

id also like to do an oil change, I wanted to do it today, but realised I could not carry everything downstairs with me, and its a good thing I didn't as the exhaust bodging took much longer than I anticipated and I was knackered after it

but im pleased to report my method for using a ratchet with my jack works well! its still quite labor intensive for me but much easier then the stock handle was :) 

Did you listen to what anyone said re using a tin can with the bandage?

8 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

Did you listen to what anyone said re using a tin can with the bandage?

I dont think a can would of worked here given the holes where on a bend rather than a straight part of the pipe (and I also dont currently have any means to cut the ends off a can sadly)

I do however wonder if I should have applied some exhaust paste directly around the holed area and then applying the bandage on top of that?

Scissors will cut a can of coke. Exhaust paste on edges, drinks can pressed around edges (cut slits to shape around curve then press to achieve bend), apply paste around can patch, then bandage. Tight.

The can isn't doing any work other than providing a smooth surface. Old-school bodges tried and tested on Cortinas, Chevettes and Ladas since, well, since cheap pattern exhausts existed and yet people still spent as much on the bodge for inexplicable reasons.

The good news is that you can always undo this if it doesn't work and have another go. RichardK's method will work just fine. A steel can might be a bit longer lasting than an aluminium one though.

Re. the oil change, I'd suggest you don't attempt this at the side of the road at this time, but leave it for a later date when the car is in a safe, offroad location or a garage can do it for you and the old oil and filter can go for safe disposal.

Getting the oil filter off without making a mess and then getting the new one on cleanly and to the right level of tightness is a bit of a knack and best done with the aid of someone who has done it before, in a location without a street drain in close proximity! 

Using a ‘classic’ as a daily driver is a constant uphill slog - I have tried a variety of 30+ year old VW tat to commute in, including Chester to Warrington daily. I also lived and worked in South East London for 10 years so have experience of looking after cars in the street not a million miles from you. 

Your car will need constant fixing - even with a bit of effort now, it won’t be fixed and usuable, it’ll just be 50 miles away from the next issue. It was bad enough doing this with cars with readily available parts, let alone with something more obscure. 

Working on cars on the street is shit. It’s cold, wet and dirty, and occasionally genuinely dangerous. The weirdos all come out to see you (or they do me at least). It also often physically demanding.

You also have the disadvantage that your car is a little unconventional looking, and for all those that look with interest others will see it as a fun target, and it’s light enough to move around (I won’t say how I know!) 

From what you have said, you are not likely to be able to exert the sort of effort required to work on the car on the street, and also don’t have the wherewithal to be able to find or pay a garage. 

To me you have a couple of realistic options, and I’ve had to go through the pain of this myself and tried all 3 - none are great:

1) decide its more important to save the car and sell it to a suitable person. Save the memories of having had one. Buy a shite old modern.

2) find somewhere safe to stash it until you have a sustainable way of caring for it.

3) limp it along, patching the bits you can and slowly watching it deteriorate further until it becomes (even more?) unusable. 

Be realistic, however much it hurts now. I let the type of car I had define me to a certain extent and it drove me genuinely loopy.  

More pressingly though, Would it pass an MOT (regardless of whether it needs one) and if not don’t drive it until it’s fixed as you’re potentially looking at a whole world of pain if one of the many local police either have a poke or you have even a minor prang….

I suspect you’ll have good arguments as to why I’m talking bollocks, but really I’m just trying to share my real life experience and pain so hopefully you don’t end up in quite such a shit place I did.

Good luck whatever you decide, there is no easy way out of this for you I’m afraid.