LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

15 hours ago, lanciamatt said:

Once the weather pics up , if your still getting nowhere I will arrange with you a suitable Saturday and I'll come down for the day and sort some issues out . All I want in return is feeding and pay the congestion charge and ulez if your in that bit . 

@LightBulbFun @lanciamatt, Dez is in the ulez charge zone, but not the congestion charge zone. Thats why I used the Kitten, no charge for a historic vehicle ! Look at the TfL map and choose your route carefully. Theres a big C painted on the road when you enter the congestion charge zone. 

14 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

1725559100_StreetScene1963.thumb.jpg.5c18937c31a10d7652f39cca9de6f3f0.jpg

Is this one?  Photo was taken in Catford in 1963, apparently, during the last ice age.  

ooh nice! indeed, its a its a Stanley Mk7 im pretty sure :) (although may also be a (Stanley) Harper Mk6)

4 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

I've just finished up drawings for Invacar Mk12 door skins and door end plates and fixtures, I can't guaranty 100% accuracy due to the state of the remnants of the door I had to work with but will post the drawings here in case they may be of use to someone, present or future. 

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

just the drawings alone that you do are some amazing work! I look forward to seeing the finished article! :) 

I wonder if theres anyone you can borrow a complete door from just so you can make sure all the dimensions etc are tickety boo?

on the REV front, I called https://www.chusgarage.com/

a nice local garage that @auntiemaryscanary kindly let me know about

they seem like a nice garage, but unsurprisingly while they sounded very interested in seeing REV, they very much sounded like they did not want to do the work she needed

just because its so different from what they normally deal with (and he was worried about parts and asked if I could get them which I did say was no problem) and finally because they only have a pit which does not exactly work with a 3 wheeler! (although you could put a skate under the front wheel, but I digress) they where happy to do the oil change at least! so if I can get REV going I at least know where I can take her for normal servicing

I fear this is what I will get from most garages, when I first got REV I did ask a few people if they knew a garage that could take her on, if their friendly garage would

and the general response is, not really because of what she is, doesn't matter that she is mechanically much simpler then a modern, most people just see this quirky blue 3 wheeler thats way out of their comfort zone because it literally looks like nothing they have dealt with before or in a long time

Don't give up hope on the garage front. You'll find someone who is happy to look at it even if it takes a bit of ringing round.

Just from a google review browse, somewhere like this maybe? https://classicbrentautos.co.uk/ He specifically mentions recommissioning which has to be a good start?

Edit - he has his photo with a bond bug on his instagram... it has to be a sign!

41 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the general response is, not really 

This will be fairly common,  and understandable really,  Pretty much any car up to maybe the mid to late 90s is going to have been either sat around alot because giffer owner or has been the subject of an "enthusiast" so it comes with a high risk of previous bodges and potential nightmares. 

Parts can be hard to get and usually wrong, etc etc.

Any classic car clubs in your area?

28 minutes ago, jon.k said:

Don't give up hope on the garage front. You'll find someone who is happy to look at it even if it takes a bit of ringing round.

Just from a google review browse, somewhere like this maybe? https://classicbrentautos.co.uk/ He specifically mentions recommissioning which has to be a good start?

Edit - he has his photo with a bond bug on his instagram... it has to be a sign!

funnily enough I have been looking at those chaps, @Mrs6C kindly made me aware of them a couple days ago :) 

sadly regardless of what mode of transport you use they are over an hour away from me

they also look to deal with higher end/shiner classics which makes me think they might charge on the expensive side, im not looking for a spit and polish restoration, just a trusted under the arches type place to change some brake hardware, bodge an exhaust leak and give her a good servicing!

but I appreciate the research. its always good to know whats around :) 

27 minutes ago, Andyrew said:

This will be fairly common,  and understandable really,  Pretty much any car up to maybe the mid to late 90s is going to have been either sat around alot because giffer owner or has been the subject of an "enthusiast" so it comes with a high risk of previous bodges and potential nightmares. 

Parts can be hard to get and usually wrong, etc etc.

Any classic car clubs in your area?

im not sure sadly,  however there are a fair few older cars, Morris minors and the such like in the local area, so there must be someone fairly local who looks after them...

LBF why don’t you just put a separate post up asking if there’s anyone within the vicinity of LDN or that end of the country who can safely perform the jobs at their own dry/off road premises and you actually pay them a hourly or set fee per job? Rather than hoping people continue to offer to come to you at their own expense to attempt to assist jobs at the side of a cold wet road? 

I’m quietly confident that from the knowledge that has been shared in other posts on here, someone would happily take it on and enjoy it if you were to say for example that you want the exhaust, brakes, top to bottom check over for safety reasons and a general service. If you and that person then were to the agree that pending you obtaining the parts along with arranging transport for REV to be taken there, someone would both enjoy and be grateful of the extra cash in the new year. 

Surely that way you get REV sorted, you don’t have to pay extortionate garage rates, someone earns some post Xmas cash and everyone’s a winner? 

54 minutes ago, JJ0063 said:

LBF why don’t you just put a separate post up asking if there’s anyone within the vicinity of LDN or that end of the country who can safely perform the jobs at their own dry/off road premises and you actually pay them a hourly or set fee per job? Rather than hoping people continue to offer to come to you at their own expense to attempt to assist jobs at the side of a cold wet road? 

I’m quietly confident that from the knowledge that has been shared in other posts on here, someone would happily take it on and enjoy it if you were to say for example that you want the exhaust, brakes, top to bottom check over for safety reasons and a general service. If you and that person then were to the agree that pending you obtaining the parts along with arranging transport for REV to be taken there, someone would both enjoy and be grateful of the extra cash in the new year. 

Surely that way you get REV sorted, you don’t have to pay extortionate garage rates, someone earns some post Xmas cash and everyone’s a winner? 

Yeah its something I have been thinking of doing, and as mentioned I have no problem paying for work, if someone came to me and offered to fix REV for a suitable amount 

but I feel a bit awkward going up to someone and asking them "hey can I pay you to fix my problem?" because as @AdgeCutler the most precious thing is time, and money cant buy that!

so even if I pay a kind member to fix REV for me, now they have my car to worry about, as well as their own autoshite fleet!

another thing I am worried about and this is true of getting a garage to do work as well, is finding out the person or garage cant actually do the work and then I end up with lots of faff transporting her about from garage to garage/person to person etc

and there is the fact I want to find someone who I know/can trust they know what there doing with a Model 70/older car like this, because she obviously means a lot to me!

but I might fire some PM's off since its looking like I dont really have much of a choice 

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah its something I have been thinking of doing, and as mentioned I have no problem paying for work, if someone came to me and offered to fix REV for a suitable amount 

but I feel a bit awkward going up to someone and asking them "hey can I you to fix my problem?" because as @AdgeCutler the most precious thing is time, and money cant buy that!

so even if I pay a kind member to fix REV for me, now they have my car to worry about, as well as their own autoshite fleet!

I don’t mean PM people asking them to do the work Dez, that absolutely would make people feel pressured and rightly so would be awkward.

Pop a thread up saying you’re looking for X Y and Z job to be done, where you are etc and see if anyone offers - if they say yes they can do those jobs and you agree a cost of X amount per hour or whatever, you then get some quotes to have REV taken there and the work be done. 

You seem like an intelligent enough chap - if a new member with 0 posts replies then you’re right to avoid them, you’re likely to get someone who has already been offering help and advice anyway to be honest.

If no-one replies to the thread then at least you’ve ruled it out and can concentrate on finding a proper garage!

4 hours ago, AdgeCutler said:

I've just finished up drawings for Invacar Mk12 door skins and door end plates and fixtures, I can't guaranty 100% accuracy due to the state of the remnants of the door I had to work with but will post the drawings here in case they may be of use to someone, present or future. 

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

Graph paper - I’m impressed. Thought I was the last one using that ( and carbon  paper).

37 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Graph paper - I’m impressed. Thought I was the last one using that ( and carbon  paper).

I'm afraid I know no other way and don't really know what I'm doing full stop but, generally I manage to get where I'm going, eventually. Imperial graph paper isn't as easy to pick up as it was though, I guess because everyone else is using electronic methods?

13 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

Silly idea: would a motorcycle mechanic be better suited to Dez's needs?  

I'd been thinking of that.  A classic bike mechanic who builds trikes, perhaps, might be interested.

Another long shot.  Years ago, a mate was rebuilding a 1950s Special with more enthusiasm than skill, shall we say.  For various reasons I did not want to get involved, so he advertised in the local job centre for a self- employed classic car mechanic and actually got one.  The guy was a bit eccentric, but very skilled and became a good pal, and between them they eventually built the car.   Do job centres still exist?

I've often found that when you are involved in any unusual project you think you are the only one, but you rarely are.  There is usually somebody locally who is doing exactly the same thing and solving the same problems, and is only too pleased to co-operate.   You just have to find that person.

5 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I've often found that when you are involved in any unusual project you think you are the only one, but you rarely are.  There is usually somebody locally who is doing exactly the same thing and solving the same problems, and is only too pleased to co-operate.   You just have to find that person.

maybe look into / ask about in the kit car community ? they seem to be an adventurous and helpful bunch