LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

4 hours ago, CaptainBoom said:

Dead chuffed to see this!  Well done @bobdisk and yourself.  I guess that you removed the cover beind the seat to access the pulley area? 

I suspect you will get papped a lot, even in London (where people famously don't notice things and stare at the ground a lot).  Top stuff and many congratulations.

Make a list of the running issues as they crop up, and they can be tackled a bit at a time.  An oil change will be much easier now you can get it hot and move it into a position to access the drain plug. 

Thanks! :)  yeah I do wonder how long it will take for her to be papped! will be interesting to see! also depends how often I end up using her

need to sort myself out a decent phone mount, because I dont really know the roads outside the local area!

1 hour ago, DodgeRover said:

Well done on making it down the road.

I don't know if you spotted it but there was a strand sticking out on the end of the throttle cable you posted a close up of, that really really won't be helping matters and you should replace it as soon a possible. It is entirely possible to fit a new inner cable to the existing outer one if you want to keep the look.

Making up cables only requires at the most basic a hacksaw and blow lamp/ decent soldering iron, liquid flux and solder,  ensure you get plenty of heat into the fitting/ cable and make sure you tin the end of the cable you want to solder to.

indeed thats from when the throttle cable was incorrectly routed and was far too stiff as such stressing the cable, also doesn't help that the twist grip has no end stop so you can twist it the wrong way which ends up pinches the inner cable

thankfully as you say its pretty easy to replace the inner at least!

so id still like to replace the twist grip (which ill hopefully be attempting sometime soon) but If my washer idea does not work I can see myself eventually needing to replace the entire throttle cable outer still because of the thickness issue, as I have still not found a replacement twist grip that fits the unusually skinny outer cable/ferrule  but at least now things are functioning on an immediate basis and these issues can be solved more leisurely 

the other option is to see if its possible to repair the existing twist grip by someone fitting a stop back into it, but that still leaves the problem that the grip on the twist grip ins knackered all the rubber coating has long since disintegrated and just leaves the hard plastic bit with several sharp edges to dig into your hand LOL

26 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

What diameter are the handlebars? A pattern motorcycle one from the era will be what they used originally, probably made by Wassel

the problem is not so much the handle bars (the diameter on those is your standard 7/8th inch/22Mm) but the problem is throttle cable outer is unusually slim/skinny

this is the cable entry point on the current twist grip on the car (the knackered one) notice how there are 2 slotted holes and the one on the left is smaller diameter then the one on the right

image.thumb.png.655c9fe3d0005c5f0f5e94da2d769b8c.png

that smaller left hole is the hole my current throttle cable (the green one) fits into,

but all of the twist grips I have seen and all the ones I have tried at the FoD and at home, only have 1 cable entry hole and they have all been of the larger size on the right, so the throttle cable in the car (the green one) just flops around and has nothing to to stop against if that makes sense (hence my idea of using a washer to reduce the hole size/act as a stop)

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

hanks! :)  yeah I do wonder how long it will take for her to be papped! will be interesting to see!

turns out Yesterday is the answer to that! LOL, amusingly the day before i was finally able  to take her for a drive

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/posts/3250795931908616/

image.thumb.png.d646ffe994234dcf7394dfe9a41c2709.png

1 minute ago, High Jetter said:

You do have an AS sticker on the rear window...? 

funnily enough I was just thinking about that!, not yet but very much planning on fitting one! I already have a couple in stock, but wanted to see REV on the road before I stuck it on :) 

Excellent news!

Silly question probably, but do you have breakdown cover in place? 

If not please do get that arranged.  Your physical issues really could get in the way of you being safely able to deal with any issues at the side of the road. 

AutoAid are more expensive now for older vehicles, but still far cheaper than anyone else I've seen so far.

24 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Excellent news!

Silly question probably, but do you have breakdown cover in place? 

If not please do get that arranged.  Your physical issues really could get in the way of you being safely able to deal with any issues at the side of the road. 

AutoAid are more expensive now for older vehicles, but still far cheaper than anyone else I've seen so far.

Thanks :) indeed I do am covered through my insurance, and im even covered for breakdowns abroad in Europe!

dont think anyone has driven an Invacar abroad in recent years but I know it happened fairly frequently back in the day, there was even one Catholic father who in 1983 drove his Model 70 overland from Newcastle to Lourdes and back and used motorways the entire way!

would love to know what the Ministry policy was on taking your invalid vehicle abroad like that LOL

11 hours ago, DodgeRover said:

I don't know if you spotted it but there was a strand sticking out on the end of the throttle cable you posted a close up of, that really really won't be helping matters and you should replace it as soon a possible. It is entirely possible to fit a new inner cable to the existing outer one if you want to keep the look.

@DodgeRoverYeah, I did notice that, but it is not interfering with the twist movement, it is in the slot on the twist rotating handle. I did accidentally pull the inner out of the cable while we were in the cab, but after cutting a fresh end off the carb end it fed easily back into it from the handle, so that proved the cable is good.   @LightBulbFunI suggest if you want to replace the twist grip, get the same one that @Zelandethhas.  See this page on Retro Rides: (I think Zel did a post here, but cant find it!) https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/207975/model-invacar-visitors-occasional-distractions?page=42

3 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Yes, we used the smaller of the two.

It's almost like it is set up for a second cable to operate something else, I thought at first it was a positive close (push/ pull) set up but it's in the wrong place.

TBH can you encourage LBF to bin the shit that is on it (which sounds like an accident waiting to happen) and fit something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Wassell-7-8-Motorcycle-Throttle-Twist-Grip-/174878707121?

It's from the correct period. New grips cost about £5 for a pair, fit them using strong hairspray or super glue so they don't rotate or pull off.

This good news has really made me smile. Running a 40 plus year old vehicle is always going to be a continuous round of fettling, but really the whole thing seems eminently fettleable.Shed technology at its best. Think of all the things that WON'T go wrong compared to a modern car, ABS,PAS, DMF, EML, aircon, electric windows, DSG transmission etc. etc. Just don't get in any accidents, though I suppose it's no more dangerous than something on two wheels. PM me if I can help with making ferrules or bushes etc. for cables and the like. 

6 hours ago, DodgeRover said:

Twist grip looks like the smaller hole is a standard motorcycle side.

31 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

It's almost like it is set up for a second cable to operate something else, I thought at first it was a positive close (push/ pull) set up but it's in the wrong place.

the curious thing is all Model 70's I have seen use that larger hole, REVs original black throttle cable setup before it failed used the larger hole for example and so does the blue one I got in recently

and all the twist grips I have tried their throttle cable outer entry hole is of that larger diameter 

so im a little bit confused if you say the smaller diameter is standard? unless all the other twist grips I have been trying have been missing a component?

402116819_IMG_03834.thumb.JPG.13259a800c0128f98a169281d967a2d2.JPG

31 minutes ago, DodgeRover said:

TBH can you encourage LBF to bin the shit that is on it (which sounds like an accident waiting to happen) and fit something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Wassell-7-8-Motorcycle-Throttle-Twist-Grip-/174878707121?

It's from the correct period. New grips cost about £5 for a pair, fit them using strong hairspray or super glue so they don't rotate or pull off.

trust me I dont need any encouraging! I have been wanting to replace the twist grip since I got REV over 2 years ago now! I have jut not found anything that will fit the existing cable setup 

(in some regards its a massive stroke of luck that REV's existing knackered twist grip so happened to have this mysterious smaller cable entry point!)

17 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

funnily enough I was just thinking about that!, not yet but very much planning on fitting one! I already have a couple in stock, but wanted to see REV on the road before I stuck it on :) 

I’ll post you a spare hubnut sticker I’ve got.

did another chippy run in REV just now :) this time at night! which was an interesting experience! (one of my brothers was visiting so I figured id show him id got REV working and use it as an excuse to do another chippy run LOL)

image.thumb.png.384b2d4f892709f353355e6012dae59e.png

annoyingly I forgot to take some pictures at the actual chippy but did remember to take one after I parked up!

I do think her rear brakes are binding somewhat, as I noticed she is quite sluggish to get going, and does not coast at all, and finally when checking the wheels I did notice the rears where warm, the front was fine however

sounds like the rear shoes are not quite returning home for whatever reason,  all the handbrake cables where replaced with new ones, however all the brake hardware itself, the shoes, pipes/lines, and cylinders are all still what was fitted to REV when I got her

(adam got the brakes working, but aside from the handbrake cables, nothing else was physically changed) so I do wonder if something is playing up there

maybe things just need a bit of use, I did notice towards the end of the run she was feeling a bit better, but at the same time, I obviously dont want to cook my brakes and find myself going into the back of someone!

will be interesting to see how things are next time out :) (although I do admit I would really like to replace all the brake hardware still just for peace of mind! single circuit brakes and all that)

As per my fleet thread C4GP failed MOT on CV boots, booked in today for the work to he done (booked when I collected car from MOT) 

Rang the garage at just gone 5 as not showing as MOT'd, the say they tried to ring this morning and its ready, ask why not showing MOT'd, didn't know it needed MOTing, promises to get hold of tester and call me back.. No call back...