LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 hour ago, brummiejon said:

I obtained a certified copy from Pembrokeshire County Council and I have submitted it, but the frame number is not recorded, just the registration… DVLA will only accept both

It's unfortunate that wasn't recorded all those years ago, little did some poor clerk know the implications decades later!

1 hour ago, brummiejon said:

I obtained a certified copy from Pembrokeshire County Council and I have submitted it, but the frame number is not recorded, just the registration… DVLA will only accept both

Weird, I'd have thought that would have to include a chassis number given it would be in the logbook, otherwise it's not an identity?

On 01/03/2023 at 19:35, somewhatfoolish said:

Weird, I'd have thought that would have to include a chassis number given it would be in the logbook, otherwise it's not an identity?

the thing is, it was not a legal requirement to even have a chassis/VIN number until about 1983 or so

so its not too far out the box to think that it never got recorded, or it could also be that for the Pembrokeshire register itself they never recorded chassis numbers of the vehicles registered there, would be interesting to see the vehicles around RDE346 to see if that was the case or not

this was obviously all individual county council days and each one did its own thing slightly different from the other

even on the DVLA I know of a few vehicles which have no chassis number recorded on their record

well they technically do but its quite literally "N0CHASS1SN0" or some variation of that "N0TREC0RDED" etc, and these aint even Q plate specials!

I can imagine that would cause quite a bit of fun if there was ever a case/situation involving one of those!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266159410894

s-l1600-24.thumb.jpg.f1b63255c5e9a988a9bf37b0745a5761.jpg

so this is a... thing! for everyone who kept pestering @red5 or @dollywobbler "Put a bike engine in it!" well here you go LOL

mixed emotions on this one, given it was/is a car with a Chassis plate, it would of been possible to rebuild a new Mk12B chassis and claim back the original identity 

thankfully in this particular case its been registered on a new DVLA record, so the pre-existing identity is not at risk here

although its still been registered as a 1967 Invacar which it clearly is not anymore!, its just the body-shell of one on a modified reliant chassis "Still 197 on the logbook m8"

I have to say from the outside chrome bumpers aside it does look fairly un-messed with and that grill does fit quite nicely in the number plate recess but I am no fan of hacking about bodywork like that given its not easy to reverse and I have to wonder how much of the bodywork has been hacked about to fit it over the reliant chassis? although I see the effort has been put in to preserve the original track which is nice to see and the inner wheel arches are intact so thats a good sign that hopefully the bodywork has not been messed with too much

I get the feeling from this one that this was done to get the car on the road, like if an Invacar ended up in Cuba that sort of thing LOL rather then for the purpose of doing something silly "for the LOLs",  

and I will admit with a bit of effort you could probably finish it off/tidy it up to something that outwardly looks good and its probably quite fun to drive but again, I prefer my Invacars un-messed with! especially ones that do have an identity and can theoretically be road-registered again, something quite rare for Pre-Model 70 machines, wonder how much of the orignial hardware the seller does still have, for if you wanted to return it to how it should be

I wonder if you could re-instate the tiller steering at least? a Mk12 with a steering wheel looks quite funky/odd LOL

...No way that should be on an age related plate. 

That's a bitsa and an IVA job all day long.

Chassis has obviously been modified.

Engine and gearbox have been changed.

Suspension/axles have been altered.

Body has been swapped.

No way there's enough points there to retain the identity of any of the three vehicles involved.

Also imagine that one-wheel-drive with that much power - albeit mostly above 6000rpm - would be absolutely terrifying.

21 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

...No way that should be on an age related plate. 

Chassis has obviously been modified.

Engine and gearbox have been changed.

Suspension/axles have been altered.

Body has been swapped.

No way there's enough points there to retain the identity of any of the three vehicles involved.

Also imagine that one-wheel-drive with that much power - albeit mostly above 6000rpm - would be absolutely terrifying.

the sad thing is, thats not even the worse one out there currently (which is probably why im not as grumpy about LKE as I normally would be, I believe LKE's registration was done before its body was plonked onto the reliant chassis)

heres one even worse!

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0d8QbbYbhXK6x71TCApj6F5z1x71v5Q1nVSoFwzk7viAh8RyHTbB8Ww57RNntAyrfl&id=100001898657826

1789226486_Screenshot2023-03-03at14_03_47.thumb.png.1989ce75a2200a0c82268f7707715722.png

I had been aware of this for sometime, and I had spoken with him in the past about it hoping to dissuade him otherwise, he mentioned not having manuals for the Mk12 or Villiers engine etc being one of the reasons why he was not restoring it as per original, so I fully supplied him with the suitable PDFs etc

but alas as you can see he still going ahead with it (putting the body onto a smart-car platform) so I think he was just trying to look for excuses hoping to stump me LOL this is a real shame as its one of the oddingley cars, same lot that @AdgeCutler's Brian came from and as such is one of the few Mk12's out there that has a known ID, so eminently an excellent restoration candidate 

after seeing the above post that he was continuing with it, I did as a last ditch effort, ask if he would be interested in exchanging it for one of the trysull cars, but he declined, and then blocked me LOL

again its a real shame because every other oddingley has managed to find a good home and has been restored, is being restored or is on the plan to be restored, thats 4 out 5 except for this one....

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

yeah the 'all legal' claim is pushing it...it would be more legal to put this bodyshell on XWC to be honest.

'Nothing of the original was salvageable and measurements couldn't even be taken to make a replacement.' - speak to Adge Cutler!

TBH, taking it all back. it's not the worst idea anyone has ever had, and it looks OK as a curio.

On 04/03/2023 at 19:20, brummiejon said:

Flo in Whitstable harbour today

20D8F85C-7FB8-436F-9CC9-DE403373D345.jpeg

on a better note, tis awesome to see Flo getting out and about, or more specifically (or would that be more generally?) to see an Argson out and about! :) 

I know a few that will move under their own power, but I dont know of any in recent history that have ever really been used like Flo is being used (ie regular daily/semi-daily outings)

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

on a better note, tis awesome to see Flo getting out and about, or more specifically (or would that be more generally?) to see an Argson out and about! :) 

I know a few that will move under their own power, but I dont know of any in recent history that have ever really been used like Flo is being used (ie regular daily/semi-daily outings)

I haven’t tested her range yet…. I need backup when the batteries are flat….. I’m running on 36v which is much better power… however it’s worse for range than running at 18v  cruising speed …. Once I’ve rebuilt the series/parallel , high/ low switch I'll be able to run her on either, so I may yet make it to Herne bay and back….

22 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

have you had this one yet?

IMG_20230307_103808961.thumb.jpg.8fd118a7ae006a1bca2d6fab0a9102d1.jpg

😆🤣

well if theres anyone keeping a Peugeot 106 register/survivors list it will be on here somewhere :mrgreen: 

PS I noticed yah had copied in the thumb-nail only, I thought every time I looked at the photo it was shrinking more LOL

so heres the original :) 

IMG_20230307_103808961.jpg

(not that its that much more higher resolution LOL) do have to wonder what dastardly plan @red5's students are planning huddle together in the corner like that LOL

"alright you 2 pick it up from the front, you 2 do the middle and me and bob will take the rear then we can carry it out of here..."

17 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

do have to wonder what dastardly plan @red5's students are planning huddle together in the corner like that LOL

I think they are planning modifications to the blue 3 wheeler.

I'm guessing Harley V twin engine, matte black paint with flames and the inside covered in 70s green shag carpet.

Hello, I'm looking for any Thundersley Invacar Mk12 bits, preferably a chassis (any condition) or if not bits of a chassis, particularly the front suspension set up.

As an explanation I have the Mk12 imposter on ebay at the moment and 12 years ago dug it out of a field where it sat for 35 years. I started (with limited funds and space) with the damaged fibreglass body and a few odds and ends but they seemed rare then and was told by the prominent enthusiasts any parts were unobtainable so I went the Reliant route... which turned out easier than expected. 

Anyway any help would be appreciated and I can pass the parts /info onto the new owner if it sells. 

Ps I owned this briefly about 15 years ago, I sorted out the mechanicals and got it roadworthy again (minus the spoiler) A chap from Switzerland bought it and sent 2 blokes from Poland in a 7 1/2 ton wagon to collect it. With no planks! We ended up taking the wagons wood floor up to make a ramp then flipped a coin to see who would drive it up. I lost. 

image.thumb.png.50dfb4de3884fd039655f598926795c8.png

Bit of a disappointment today….. thought I’d found the correct plug for a lead to connect the onboard charger for Flo today…. Nah…. Nearly but the pin diameter on the power port are larger than the pin diameters on the plug…. Also I hadn’t noticed that the location groove on the plug is half round and female…..  what I need is a location groove as a square male…… back to the drawing board….. 

A27C6514-9A83-4A91-A741-B9407F2BEFBE.jpeg

F40B01C6-1EC2-45D4-83AD-3C7A5AA689FE.jpeg