LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

hah very cool! (literally LOL) she started very well :) 

very awesome to see some more work being done on TPE!

on the rear lights I would try and clean up the bulb holders, it should be possible to get em working, I was able to get REV's old lights going even when they where previously written off! I found that the springy contact platform seems to be a bit of a weak spot, so I wouid have a look at that if those lights have the same type of lamp holder, and indeed those "door pockets" can hide many interesting things, one of REV's doors we found was full of broken glass, gotta wonder what the story behind that was! LOL wonder if TPE really visited Butlins back in the day or not? that would of been a fair old trip from Scotland! 

I tried a few scapes of the connectors with sand paper but I think they need fully taking apart and going a good clean.

I believe there’s a Butlins in Skegness, still a bit of a road trip though, the brochure is dated 1985

1 hour ago, chadders said:

As said in the article, it's now a Haven bit, Craig Tara. Quite popular too, and I've heard good things about it. Dropped a few friends off there in my time as they've came down for holidays and the likes. However, being 10 miles from Ayr I've never seen the point of a holiday there for myself. 😆

The unknown book is a National Geographic magazine. The volume number and edition number within that are up in the top left hand corner. If you can make out the volume number, it looks to be edition 6 and be a June or July issue.

EDIT: it is magazine no. 977, which is Volume 151, Edition 6 and dates from June 1977.

National Geographic no. 977 - Volume 151 no.6 - June 1977.jpg

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

EDIT: it is magazine no. 977, which is Volume 151, Edition 6 and dates from June 1977.

National Geographic no. 977 - Volume 151 no.6 - June 1977.jpg

hah thats interesting! because June 1977 is older then TPE409S is herself! (she is from December 1977) and I was thinking when @Harriytait was fishing things out of the doors

a lot of Model 70's have doors from other Model 70's so I was wondering to myself how many positions have managed to get smuggled from machine to machine as doors where swapped about!

so do gotta wonder if this is from another Model 70!/User! however June 1977 is not a million miles away from when TPE was registered so perhaps it was still being read by whoever TPE was first issued too :) 

Was TPE one of the Hammond Collection vehicles? If so, perhaps the items had been used as display props, to illustrate typical things one might find in a car from the era in which Model 70 would have been used. Copies of National Geographic were popular as browsing material in doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms, for example.

11 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Was TPE one of the Hammond Collection vehicles? If so, perhaps the items had been used as display props, to illustrate typical things one might find in a car from the era in which Model 70 would have been used. Copies of National Geographic were popular as browsing material in doctors' and dentists' waiting rooms, for example.

Not a Hammond car but was used by the artificial limb centre I believe so could have been swiped from there, or like you say from a GP’s waiting room.

52 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

Not a Hammond car but was used by the artificial limb centre I believe so could have been swiped from there, or like you say from a GP’s waiting room.

have you managed to find some history/evidence that confirms this?

I know she was saved through an Approved repairer, but otherwise I dont know of anything that details what she did in Ministry service

the only clue is that she had a keeper change in 1982 and subsequent V5 issued in 1982, which remained all the way to the end when her tax finally ran out on the 1st of of March 2004

which is a bit unusual and could be an indication she just remained registered to an ALAC for most her life, but she could of had just a long term user like ORW45F, which ended its days on its original 1974-1979 issue V5

1853697962_Screenshot2022-12-11at20_05_31.thumb.png.db7596be9232ffe9b5e1299b7db4cba6.png

vehicles which where slated to remain in Ministry service after the 31st of March 2003, had in December 2002, their keepership changed to what im pretty sure was the Ministry, so you would expect something like this with TPE, unless she was of course already registered to an ALAC like TWC was, however TPE's last tax due date makes this all a bit hard to say what the deal is with her

as if her user was to give her up on say the 15th of March 2003, its still before the "late user" date, so no keepership transfer, but if her tax was to run out on the 1st of March 2003, then they would obviously have to renew it even if it was to be scrapped 2 weeks later, thus giving the impression of service till March 2004 when possibly not

so I am curious if you have found any extra details on this!

I do almost wonder if Grant had the original 1982 V5, he registered himself the keeper of the vehicle on the 6th of September 2022, but the V5 was only issued on the 23rd of September 2022, 

this is a bit quick for a V62 (although not impossible, I did a V62 to V5 for a Model 70 in 9 days once LOL) but sounds just about right as if to say someone filled in their deets on a V5 and posted it in, the old fashioned way

of course he did this, then the 1982 V5 is now lost sadly, which would be a shame as it would obviously contain the previous keeper details!, but this could of also just been a quick V62 (there was never a scrapped marker again TPE, so it would of just been a standard 14 day process)

9 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

have you managed to find some history/evidence that confirms this?

I know she was saved through an Approved repairer, but otherwise I dont know of anything that details what she did in Ministry service

the only clue is that she had a keeper change in 1982 and subsequent V5 issued in 1982, which remained all the way to the end when her tax finally ran out on the 1st of of March 2004

which is a bit unusual and could be an indication she just remained registered to an ALAC for most her life, but she could of had just a long term user like ORW45F, which ended its days on its original 1974-1979 issue V5

1853697962_Screenshot2022-12-11at20_05_31.thumb.png.db7596be9232ffe9b5e1299b7db4cba6.png

vehicles which where slated to remain in Ministry service after the 31st of March 2003, had in December 2002, their keepership changed to what im pretty sure was the Ministry, so you would expect something like this with TPE, unless she was of course already registered to an ALAC like TWC was, however TPE's last tax due date makes this all a bit hard to say what the deal is with her

as if her user was to give her up on say the 15th of March 2003, its still before the "late user" date, so no keepership transfer, but if her tax was to run out on the 1st of March 2003, then they would obviously have to renew it even if it was to be scrapped 2 weeks later, thus giving the impression of service till March 2004 when possibly not

so I am curious if you have found any extra details on this!

I do almost wonder if Grant had the original 1982 V5, he registered himself the keeper of the vehicle on the 6th of September 2022, but the V5 was only issued on the 23rd of September 2022, 

this is a bit quick for a V62 (although not impossible, I did a V62 to V5 for a Model 70 in 9 days once LOL) but sounds just about right as if to say someone filled in their deets on a V5 and posted it in, the old fashioned way

of course he did this, then the 1982 V5 is now lost sadly, which would be a shame as it would obviously contain the previous keeper details!, but this could of also just been a quick V62 (there was never a scrapped marker again TPE, so it would of just been a standard 14 day process)

Among the things found in the door cards are a few letters with the name of a potential owner, they look to have been typed not written and have a logo of sorts in the top right corner, I’ve bought them indoors to dry and I’m going to try scanning them at some point, I believe they may be a bit far gone though. Could be a lead on who the previous owner was.

16 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Is there not a form that can be sent to the dvla to request information on previous owners? I think I read somewhere that existed but can’t remember 

It looks a really nice example as well. Incredible that when I brought Brian home I believed there were so few of these 12s about that it justified undertaking the restoration, despite the fact it was what most would consider FUBAR. Over the past month 3 really nice examples have now presented themselves. Hey ho, there's only one Brian!

2 hours ago, Harriytait said:

Literally a 20 minute drive from me, someone else buy it before I do something very stupid  

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/911927879801687/

Oooh! of course it happens to show up while I happened to be watching a movie! 

already working on it! :) 

1 hour ago, AdgeCutler said:

It looks a really nice example as well. Incredible that when I brought Brian home I believed there were so few of these 12s about that it justified undertaking the restoration, despite the fact it was what most would consider FUBAR. Over the past month 3 really nice examples have now presented themselves. Hey ho, there's only one Brian!

Mk12s are actually one of the most numerous Villiers machines! thats not to say that there are many about, only 40 or so are known to survive, even before you had shown up @eggs was the 37th known survivor for example

so dont feel like suddenly a whole bunch have come out of the woodwork! most are just the same cars repeating themselves, for example ONO454D is the NI Car that you considered before Brain!

and many of those are in sad shape sadly and many have no known ID, so Brian is still very special in that regard! 

and if you add up both the Metal Acedes and Fibreglass Acedes survivor numbers you get an almost equal number (about 35 or so)

and thats one of the reasons why the Mk12 appears to be so common is its production life spanned from 1960 to 1971, during which time, every other company/manufacture  went through at least a couple different models

where as Invacar managed to keep the same design going for a fairly long time! so this does inflate the numbers somewhat

if we break it down a bit more the numbers do start to even out,

as such for example there are only 12-15 Model 67's compared to 40 or so Mk12's, but if you look at MK12C's Mk12D's and Mk12E's specifically, which are the Mk12 revisions that cover the same time period as the Model 67 you only get 25 or so 

although it is worth noting just how rare the Model 67 is still, it is one of those things that I find quite curious just how many Mk12's do survive vs Model 67's

although again part of this is somewhat inflated due to specific large finds of Mk12's, like the Trysull lot :) (and again none of the cars have any known ID's of current and are all in quite sad shape) if it was not for those the numbers would be a lot more balanced

and thus although the Mk12 may be a "relatively common" machine this makes the work done on Brain none the less impressive! there are no Mk12's as in good shape as Brain is! and as mentioned even of all those 40~ Mk12's, there is only 1 other I know of that is road worthy,

so Brain is still very special in that regard :)

and again that fact is all the more impressive given just how fucked Brain was originally! there are "many" Mk12's out there yes, but there is only 1 Brain! :)

and if you ever do want something just as fucked to sink your teeth into, that is pretty damn rare, I think 1940PE is still looking for a good home :) it is the only known AC Acedes Mk9 known to survive still and it is a private machine on top of that to boot! 

33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Mk12s are actually one of the most numerous Villiers machines! thats not to say that there are many about, only 40 or so are known to survive, even before you had shown up @eggs was the 37th known survivor for example

so dont feel like suddenly a whole bunch have come out of the woodwork! most are just the same cars repeating themselves, for example ONO454D is the NI Car that you considered before Brain!

and many of those are in sad shape sadly and many have no known ID, so Brian is still very special in that regard! 

and if you add up both the Metal Acedes and Fibreglass Acedes survivor numbers you get an almost equal number (about 35 or so)

and thats one of the reasons why the Mk12 appears to be so common is its production life spanned from 1960 to 1971, during which time, every other company/manufacture  went through at least a couple different models

where as Invacar managed to keep the same design going for a fairly long time! so this does inflate the numbers somewhat

as such for example there are only 12-15 Model 67's compared to 40 or so Mk12's, but if you look at MK12C's Mk12D's and Mk12E's specifically, which are the Mk12 revisions that cover the same time period as the Model 67 you only get 25 or so 

although it is worth noting just how rare the Model 67 is still, it is one of those things that I find quite curious just how many Mk12's do survive vs Model 67's

although again part of this is somewhat inflated due to specific large finds of Mk12's, like the Trysull lot :) (and again none of the cars have any known ID's of current and are all in quite sad shape) if it was not for those the numbers would be a lot more balanced

and thus although the Mk12 may be a "relatively common" machine this makes the work done on Brain none the less impressive! there are no Mk12's as in good shape as Brain is! and as mentioned even of all those 40~ Mk12's, there is only 1 other I know of that is road worthy,

and again that fact is all the more impressive given just how fucked Brain was originally! there are "many" Mk12's out there yes, but there is only 1 Brain! :)

and if you ever do want something just as fucked to sink your teeth into, that is pretty damn rare, I think 1940PE is still looking for a good home :) it is the only known AC Acedes Mk9 known to survive still and it is a private machine on top of that to boot! 

33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

While writing this I had mainly in mind the fantastic looking Netherland car and also what I reckon must be the straightest and most original 12 out there. Hopefully with the help from @Mrs6c , @StefanH will be along to show us more?

Hello together,
I`m Stefan from Germany and the owner of the Invacar Mk12 with registration HEV 109H. My Invacar was here discussed before.

I have buy the car a few Years ago from an classic car dealer in Nederlands, and since them it is part of my collection, but not able to drive, but this will change now, because I will work on it in this winter.

Funny is that I talked this summer during a microcar meeting in the Nederland with the guy who has pick up the car in GB in the Year 1979 fore a friend who owns the car long Years but don´t drove it. He will look after photos from the 1979, hope he will found something.

Attached a Picture of my Invacar a few Weeks ago.

Sorry that my english is not realy perfect.

1668278749941.jpg

At saturday I in the Nederlands at the car dealer "Martin Willams" to take a look at the Invacar which is for sale and was topic here a few time ago.

The car is in good condition, but not so good how the pictures said. A guy from Belgium has buy the car out of GB in the 1970s, after that he and his children has driven the car on privat ground. Than the car has stand still for many many Years, so it has lots of dammages from the sorage.

Unfortunately the car stand in a dark barn without many space, so I can´t take nice pictures.

Attached pictures from the registration and the type plate with the fram number.

1670752556887.jpg

1670752556922.jpg

@StefanH awesome to have you here on the forum! I look forward to seeing how you get on with HEV109H, and thats very awesome you where able to speak to the person in the Netherlands who rescued it from the UK way back in 1979! 

and thank you very much for for grabbing the details on the Invacar Mk12E currently for sale in the Netherlands, thats much appreciated :) 

its a a new one for the lists thats for sure!

but amusingly by its chassis number, its another GVW-H car :) that makes 4 total cars of GVW501H-GVW600H registration block that survive!

(BPE585 is a plate from another car, BPExxx was issued between March 1934 and March 1935, so its off something properly old!) 

8 hours ago, red5 said:

Master cylinder off. Some progress.  Albeit small. 

very awesome to get an update on REV even if it is a smoll one :) 

Hopefully getting the MC off was not too PTSD inducing or you had assistance at least! as I hear those non captive nuts can be a right...

19 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Every time I see one of these football sideline pics, it strikes me just how restrained the folks must have been to resist giving their horn a quick toot whenever the opposing team was taking a corner...

It makes me think that is how most of them probably earned their shattered bodywork. 😂

5 hours ago, Hertz said:

@LightBulbFun You have probably seen this picture but just in case...

317081537_452713980389388_13097643151679454_n.jpg

indeed! tis one of the usual ones that crop up and do the rounds for a while :) 

2 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Every time I see one of these football sideline pics, it strikes me just how restrained the folks must have been to resist giving their horn a quick toot whenever the opposing team was taking a corner...

haha! never thought about that :)  I have heard that when a goal for their team was scored they would flash headlights and all that! 

also that when each team swapped sides at half time, so would all the Invacars! and thus you could up with a pitchside traffic jam! 

I have also heard of one occasion of something happening to a poor driver and caused the car to suddenly shoot off into the pitch swerving all over the place, that must of been exciting for the football players! 

but these are just comments that I have read on the internet, im sure people who watched football in period can verify these claims or dispute them!

1 hour ago, kirton said:

one from the ARRSE forum under one of the less than PC desriptions applied it such vehicles

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/attachments/invacar_1973_-3-jpeg.713022/

yep thats ATW722L, its been in Kuwait since early 2019 last I heard!