LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

12 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

I needed an elbow to balance a pair of SU carbs, the big grommet has been in the box at work as an addition for larger carbs. Do you recognise it Des?

20220210_084009.thumb.jpg.0c4e010847fe8ed7704fad670d80512a.jpg

20220210_084040.jpg

20220210_084036.jpg

What's the sizes, inside and outside diameters, thickness? Is it a soft rubber, so it seals when you press it against carb and meter?

47 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

What's the sizes, inside and outside diameters, thickness? Is it a soft rubber, so it seals when you press it against carb and meter?

Quite soft, 1.50" bore, 3.0" o/d with the undercut for a 2.0" hole. The outer radius sealant nicely in larger SU carbs and Weber trumpets.

This grommet came from AC stores at Thames Ditton from whatever invalid carriage it was used on. Some ended up on Cobra roll bars but would look a bit big for that application. 

On 2/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, LightBulbFun said:

the problem is I mostly do!

I will agree that yeah go back a couple years I was quite post happy about them, they are my Jam and what I like to talk about

for example in the ebay tat thread I used to enjoy posting a matching Invacar if someone posted a car from the same registration series as one, Invacar snap is what I call it LOL in the same way people will point out "LOL thats got Morris marina door handles!"

but I have not done that for a good while and ill tend to drag it over to this thread if I do

and I have mostly concentrated things to my thread in the past year and a bit yet still, the abuse comes, as then people people berate me for having such a large thread thats always at the top of the forum index

but thats the thing in the recent times I have mentioned them outside of this thread, its not been to talk about Invacars, its just been a bit light hearted self deprecation or just wanting to take part in something a forum member was doing!

and I still get jumped on

as mentioned imagine what would be said if I did post a picture of my car in the sunset thread, I would just get berated for posting about invacars despite the fact the thread is about posting your own car at sunset, and thats exactly what I would be doing

indeed!

I was going to say "but Captain 70s does not get such flak with his 70's cars", but giving it some thought I think the reason Captain 70s does not get such flak, is because he is always self deprecative about himself and his cars (and he is very good about posting about his misfortunes in very humours ways that always makes me feel bad/guilty after I laugh at them LOL) he will always be negative about his cars

where as I tend to take an optimistic/positive view to things, which I think people seem to see fit to try and beat down on for some reason

I like your thread , it's interesting . Everybody has an opinion about the car they drive , and about the cars other people drive . It's not unique to this site . If someone's giving you some shit tell them to fuck off . If they don't like it it's there problem . 

1 hour ago, Harriytait said:

I wonder how long it's been since an Invacar has parked down Paulsgrove Road.

180849364_304776047906296_6144965513317943995_n.jpg

IMG_20220211_121536.jpg

Oh thats very cool! did not quite realise that was local to you like that :) 

there are lots of shots like that id like to recreate/see be recreated, very awesome to see it being done :) 

I think there are enough Model 70's floating around on the forum that we could actually recreate the shot in entirety with all 9 Model 70's :) (especially as Adam has KPL139P which of course is a close relation to KPL29P in the first shot :)

D5PXY8.thumb.jpg.061c4303bfd3f58349498b0d7690724d.jpg

D5PXY1.thumb.jpg.c226c9a616dae1cf5f8286aba58688b1.jpg

as a side note to the fuel filler talk, one thing that caught my eye was that the Metal AC Acedes Model 57, had its fuel filler mounted on the right hand side, and I swore I recalled seeing some with it on the left hand side

and I wondered if this was a change at some point in time, and indeed checking some pictures it did!

it seems early machines had it on the left

p494369819-3.jpg

and later machines had it on the right :) 

14582403_1003597383096992_1958150266842775552_n.thumb.jpg.d02680e44c3e7873d31c7e6c66929a30.jpg

I am curious what the reason for the change was, and when exactly it happened (I wonder if it was when they changed from Villiers 9E to Villiers 11E engines or not?)

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh thats very cool! did not quite realise that was local to you like that :) 

there are lots of shots like that id like to recreate/see be recreated, very awesome to see it being done :) 

I think there are enough Model 70's floating around on the forum that we could actually recreate the shot in entirety with all 9 Model 70's :) (especially as Adam has KPL139P which of course is a close relation to KPL29P in the first shot :)

D5PXY8.thumb.jpg.061c4303bfd3f58349498b0d7690724d.jpg

D5PXY1.thumb.jpg.c226c9a616dae1cf5f8286aba58688b1.jpg

as a side note back to the fuel filler talk, one thing that caught my eye was that the Metal AC Acedes Model 57, had its fuel filler mounted on the right hand side, and I swore I recalled seeing some with it on the left hand side

and I wondered if this was a change at some point in time, and indeed checking some pictures it did!

it seems early machines had it on the left

p494369819-3.jpg

and later machines had it on the right :) 

14582403_1003597383096992_1958150266842775552_n.thumb.jpg.d02680e44c3e7873d31c7e6c66929a30.jpg

I am curious what the reason for the change was, and when exactly it happened (I wonder if it was when they changed from Villiers 9E to Villiers 11E engines or not?)

Very local to me, I was really surprised when I found out and wanted to recreate it for a while. It's quite literally up the road and round the corner lol.

It would be very cool to get a bunch of Invacars and properly recreate it at some point though.

Screenshot_2022-02-11-13-55-18-846.jpg

9 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

Quite soft, 1.50" bore, 3.0" o/d with the undercut for a 2.0" hole. The outer radius sealant nicely in larger SU carbs and Weber trumpets.

This grommet came from AC stores at Thames Ditton from whatever invalid carriage it was used on. Some ended up on Cobra roll bars but would look a bit big for that application. 

that got me thinking I do wonder if perhaps its the grommet for the rollover bar of a later Model 70?

58374595_1202065753286730_1510540032362938368_n.thumb.jpg.ed15451337a9ec39ee28776a550822a8.jpg

I dont have a good picture of the base of the roll bar in the cabin but you can just make out the gasket in these 2 pics

image.png

although what you have looks a bit large, it might just be the scale of things, I dont have any measurements for the diameter of the rollover bar or the size of the hole in the bodywork which it goes through sadly

(and I cant currently take measurements as REV has left home for university LOL) 

do you know what date this grommet of yours originated from? you say it was used on Cobras, do you mean Genuine 1960's AC Cobras in period or do you mean it was used on them at a later date?

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

do you know what date this grommet of yours originated from? you say it was used on Cobras, do you mean Genuine 1960's AC Cobras in period or do you mean it was used on them at a later date?

The grommet would have come from Thames Ditton when everything moved to Brooklands. Apparently there were a couple of engines and assorted other parts there too. They would have been in the stores and used as and when the need arose 80's onwards. I'll explain a bit more next time I see you. 👍

Edit: You may have something there with the roll bar if the dimensions look similar, is the roll bar is over 1.5"?

1 hour ago, Snake Charmer said:

The grommet would have come from Thames Ditton when everything moved to Brooklands. Apparently there were a couple of engines and assorted other parts there too. They would have been in the stores and used as and when the need arose 80's onwards. I'll explain a bit more next time I see you. 👍

Edit: You may have something there with the roll bar if the dimensions look similar, is the roll bar is over 1.5"?

interesting! sadly very little is known about what went on at AC on a personal level  its quite  interesting as theres a few personal accounts from people who used to work at Invacar Ltd, but sadly I dont think theres much in the way of what went on at AC, certainly not from the Invalid vehicle side of things! so I look forward to hearing more in time :) 

its interesting to learn that AC kept an invalid vehicle parts stash going into the 1980's :) (I presume when you say a couple engines and assorted other parts your talking about the Model 70 right? or do you mean that they had a couple V8s lying around still LOL) I wonder if they kept making spare parts after Model 70 production ended in ~March 1978, or if it was just a cache of spare parts they built up during production and then kept for a while afterwards?

I sadly dont know exactly when things wrapped up at Thames Ditton as a whole, but I know by 1986 the Hurlock family finally sold up I think!

funnily enough it was Frank Tippen and Sons of Tippen Delta fame that supplied the Ministry with Model 70 mechanical bits into the 1990s! (we dont know if they also supplied body parts/sections as well or not sadly)

Frank Tippen and sons never made the Model 70 but I have often wondered if you could put together a "Tippen Delta Model 70" out of Tippen supplied spare parts :) 

sadly I dont know the Dimensions of the roll bar at current, although while checking to see if I could find any noted down anywhere I did notice that there is a  Technical drawing for a Model 70 part that is dated to 1983 which is attributed to AC Cars so thats quite interesting...

You know what , if it wasn't for your enthusiasm for these cars I don't think there would be half of them  back on road . Or so much cross referal regarding parts availability. There not everyone's cup of tea , but I can relate to your enthusiasm with the cars I like. The girls at work loved me giving them 20 plus reg numbers of old invacars . But in my eyes it's worth it to get it all categorised . 

Really sad to read about the passing of Julian Nowill. He was a real gentleman and a huge friend to many in all aspects of the vehicle preservation movement. He helped to rescue and ensure the ongoing preservation of several Model 70s and other invalid cars back in the days when they were being taken out of service and was kind enough to pass on his collection of Invacar spares to me a few years. Given that he expected to have only a few months left at that time, making it through another couple of years wasn't bad going.

He was a keen horticulturalist too. I hope he is now leaning on his fork in a full-size afterlife allotment, gazing in contentment across a finely raked tilth, to a well-parked collection of all the vehicles he has ever owned, that passed on before him.

3 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Really sad to read about the passing of Julian Nowill. He was a real gentleman and a huge friend to many in all aspects of the vehicle preservation movement. He helped to rescue and ensure the ongoing preservation of several Model 70s and other invalid cars back in the days when they were being taken out of service and was kind enough to pass on his collection of Invacar spares to me a few years. Given that he expected to have only a few months left at that time, making it through another couple of years wasn't bad going.

He was a keen horticulturalist too. I hope he is now leaning on his fork in a full-size afterlife allotment, gazing in contentment across a finely raked tilth, to a well-parked collection of all the vehicles he has ever owned, that passed on before him.

I think its fitting that I share this picture of Julian during his visit to the main Ministry stores :) (which @dollywobbler posted back in page 169 for those curious)

FB_IMG_1606979223635.jpg

28 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

spakka1.PNG.a728f84a7a243e4c5b171fb05d87eb78.PNG

ooh not a picture i have seen before looks like a AC Acedes Mk14/14A/15, Model 67 :) 

I did a bit of digging and managed to unearth a higher resolution version of the picture :) from here https://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/p/l24-25.html under "Quarry Street South, Woolton  6th September 1971"

image.thumb.png.c34b59c9df204c752b6c2adedd814a96.png

thats 2 for 2 on Model 67's from you :) (PS I see that file name LOL)

the other for those curious being this one 

onb9.PNG

which @warren t claim posted over on the seaside shite thread :) (sadly I cant find a higher resolution version of this pic)

but I can tell its also a an AC Acedes Model 67, a Mk14 to be specific in this case (twas also a photo I had not seen before hence 2 for 2 :)

22 hours ago, EightMegs said:

20211114_122710.jpg

Found this picture I forgot I took when I was down in November.

ooh nice! interesting angle! it makes the dead end look massive LOL, nice to see a photo taken from REV's good side for a change :) I always seem to photograph her shabby side LOL

9 hours ago, Harriytait said:

Another shake down run in VJN, so far so good

IMG_20220214_110551.jpg

very cool! very pleased to hear things are going well with VJN! :) hopefully things continue to go well and your able to take her out on some bigger trips! and show those BMWs in Lane 3 of the motorway what for! :mrgreen:

32 minutes ago, martc said:

Have you seen this one? Taken at Sclater Street Market sometime between 1972 and 1977, the photo features in 'David Hoffman’s Adverse Circumstances' boxset (which I think is a volume of books) published by Cafe Royal books...

image.png.803ce356965415c7ec359072baaf0725.png

Ooh cool! another I have not seen before! and another AC Acedes Model 67 :) Its a Mk14 with those rain gutters and I think specifically a Mk14A going by the fact there are 3 switches on the dashboard, but interior shots of Model 67's (or any detailed photos for that matter) are very rare, so I cant say with 100% certainty until I can get some more data gathered 

not the only person to sell their wares from an invalid vehicle however :) 

50002470908_aa81a0a630_4k.jpg

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

heres an image that might help :) 

DSC_5345_1280x848.jpg

(id say being able to spot an Invacar from half an open door probably gets me maximum sad bastard points, but I think I got all of those a long time ago now LOL)

lame1.PNG.b61b07cb97b739b25f7614522a27d3aa.PNG

No, I've posted this before.