LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Flo’s wheel is about to be reunited with the rest of the Argson….. nice and straight, new spokes and restored hub and brake drum….

so far I have

rewired the front headlamp and tail lights through the original auxiliary fuse and fitted a switch and the switch plate

rebuilt the handbrake ratchet and fitted a lever and made a custom cable to fit. Working handbrake now.

upgraded to the addition of brake lights adapted from a motorcycle brake light switch

Rebuilt and restored to working order the original wipac horn and rewired the original horn push

completed all the wiring for the above using soldered Lucas bullet connectors throughout.

fixed the broken voltmeter and wired in all auxiliary electrics to operate with the isolator plug (so I don’t forget to leave the lights on and stop mischievous children from playing with the horn)

Lots and lots of little tidy up jobs and making a special hub puller for removing the rear wheels without damaging the spoke plates

next jobs will be restoring the high/low power switch and re wiring the power supply (batteries) side of the wiring loom….

I’ll  start driving around in low power whilst I do this…. Find out how good she pulls up hills 😂

D4C83539-E663-43FB-B914-7608E08C57DD.jpeg

06D9FCED-7FF0-4F33-9D64-894B1D07E5E3.jpeg

C8249435-F2DC-4B98-AAF1-C77330ECCD79.jpeg

DAC90394-F1C9-43CD-88A9-52261C157B00.jpeg

20E2D9DE-4615-4C7C-8B5F-CCE718A1F552.jpeg

802EC538-32D7-4A75-A138-CFD8ADE5C150.jpeg

5 hours ago, brummiejon said:

Flo’s wheel is about to be reunited with the rest of the Argson….. nice and straight, new spokes and restored hub and brake drum….

so far I have

rewired the front headlamp and tail lights through the original auxiliary fuse and fitted a switch and the switch plate

rebuilt the handbrake ratchet and fitted a lever and made a custom cable to fit. Working handbrake now.

upgraded to the addition of brake lights adapted from a motorcycle brake light switch

Rebuilt and restored to working order the original wipac horn and rewired the original horn push

completed all the wiring for the above using soldered Lucas bullet connectors throughout.

fixed the broken voltmeter and wired in all auxiliary electrics to operate with the isolator plug (so I don’t forget to leave the lights on and stop mischievous children from playing with the horn)

Lots and lots of little tidy up jobs and making a special hub puller for removing the rear wheels without damaging the spoke plates

next jobs will be restoring the high/low power switch and re wiring the power supply (batteries) side of the wiring loom….

I’ll  start driving around in low power whilst I do this…. Find out how good she pulls up hills 😂

D4C83539-E663-43FB-B914-7608E08C57DD.jpeg

06D9FCED-7FF0-4F33-9D64-894B1D07E5E3.jpeg

C8249435-F2DC-4B98-AAF1-C77330ECCD79.jpeg

DAC90394-F1C9-43CD-88A9-52261C157B00.jpeg

20E2D9DE-4615-4C7C-8B5F-CCE718A1F552.jpeg

802EC538-32D7-4A75-A138-CFD8ADE5C150.jpeg

very awesome to see work on RDE346 continuing! I look forward to hearing how she drives once everything is fully wired up and opperational :) 

32 minutes ago, Austat said:

Glasgow, 1993:

324564665_1163957087822623_159431797342294625_n.thumb.webp.18154dc5876bfd0e3298c2ad8d82fa82.webp

oooh thats a nice shot! not a pic I have seen before either :)

4 hours ago, Asimo said:

8A8F26E7-0237-4E8A-A3E6-5BC0BAF2B25F.jpeg.b887f63bc0fccc17c8b2cf3099b63d92.jpeg1BE326CC-C205-4C28-B9A7-BE2EE00FED0F.thumb.jpeg.e336e5bbf3a44ba93cff52dd1de176c6.jpeg

hah thats amusing, the football shot on the right, I think its the first time a picture thats originated from this thread has come back around so to speak! the screenshot @Six-cylinder's and I had noticed it doing the rounds a while back! so its amusing how its come back so to speak :) 

On 24/05/2020 at 16:36, Six-cylinder said:

I hope this helps with the number plate of the football cars.

I had a hunch, waited for a corner and sure enough the cameras zoomed in!

Invacar MPH723.jpg

31 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Sounds familiar, something famous?

A Glasgow landmark of sorts; the ramp is the exit from the carpark of the Sauchiehall Street shopping centre. I'm a bit surprised the centre still exists, it's state-of-the-art circa 1985.

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Seen the detail on this LBF? Minter!

details? Mint?! sadly! its all wrong LOL, indeed I have seen the clip (and the car many times :)

its a 1977 (not 1970) Invacar Model 70, TJN352R, and its painted entirely the wrong shade of blue! (and sadly I dont think they seem to recognise/know the specific historic importance of TJN either!)

one of these days I wonder if anyone will notice the clock just like on REV and put 2 and 2 together :) 

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.081f5faf9caca03b465fe2fc6ac7299d.JPG

I still often wonder if there are photos of TJN and REV together...

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

details? Mint?! sadly! its all wrong LOL, indeed I have seen the clip (and the car many times :)

its a 1977 (not 1970) Invacar Model 70, TJN352R, and its painted entirely the wrong shade of blue! (and sadly I dont think they seem to recognise/know the specific historic importance of TJN either!)

one of these days I wonder if anyone will notice the clock just like on REV and put 2 and 2 together :) 

IMG_0500.thumb.JPG.081f5faf9caca03b465fe2fc6ac7299d.JPG

I still often wonder if there are photos of TJN and REV together...

I still find the story of TJN and REV interesting, did Dolly have the same clock fitted?

I actually saw TJN at the Coventry motor museum a few months ago after attending the furious driving social, I can’t remember if I ever posted the picture, I also found it interesting that TJN has what seems to be a rear fog light fitted, do you know of that was a later ministry spec fitment or a done at home job? It seems pretty neatly done.

1096C643-8DC7-4229-9623-A4CCA757C337.jpeg

3 hours ago, Harriytait said:

I still find the story of TJN and REV interesting, did Dolly have the same clock fitted?

Nah Dolly never did because she was REV's 2nd Sister car so to speak from after REV left the Webb's 

3 hours ago, Harriytait said:

I actually saw TJN at the Coventry motor museum a few months ago after attending the furious driving social, I can’t remember if I ever posted the picture, I also found it interesting that TJN has what seems to be a rear fog light fitted, do you know of that was a later ministry spec fitment or a done at home job? It seems pretty neatly done.

1096C643-8DC7-4229-9623-A4CCA757C337.jpeg

indeed you did Page 279 :) 

the extra rear lights was never an official ministry thing, but some Model 70's gained them later in life, not all as neatly done as TJN mind! (although as neat as the job is, being so low down I have to wonder how effective it would be! but it is very satisfying how it perfectly fits the width of the bumper!)

JNJ TIC rear.JPG

some also had a  high level light fitted

R - NPM 852R Photo 29-10-2017, 13 04 10.jpg

5 minutes ago, brummiejon said:

Just spoke to the DVLA regarding the V62 I sent  for RDE 346 over 8 weeks ago, still in progress 🙄

I’ve also had a quote to insure RDE 346 from Adrian Flux…. £210, sounds far too much to me…. Insurance is such a racket

Does sound a bit steep.  Though Adrian Flux are high on my "Only use them if I absolutely have to and have zero other options" list.

Give Hagerty a call, hopefully they'll be able to sort you out with a better price.

54 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Does sound a bit steep.  Though Adrian Flux are high on my "Only use them if I absolutely have to and have zero other options" list.

Give Hagerty a call, hopefully they'll be able to sort you out with a better price.

Main issue with this is it being electric. You’d be surprised how few insurers will entertain anything without an ICE. 

6 hours ago, brummiejon said:

Just spoke to the DVLA regarding the V62 I sent  for RDE 346 over 8 weeks ago, still in progress 🙄

I’ve also had a quote to insure RDE 346 from Adrian Flux…. £210, sounds far too much to me…. Insurance is such a racket

if they have actually acknowledged the fact that they have your application and that its still processing! could very much be a good thing!

from my own experience they tend to reject the application pretty quickly if they have no computerised record, so if it still being processed that could be a good thing! 

do you know if they have cashed the £25 Cheque? that will tell you if they really have opened the envelope and actually started to action it :) 

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

if they have actually acknowledged the fact that they have your application and that its still processing! could very much be a good thing!

from my own experience they tend to reject the application pretty quickly if they have no computerised record, so if it still being processed that could be a good thing! 

do you know if they have cashed the £25 Cheque? that will tell you if they really have opened the envelope and actually started to action it :) 

Good point, just checked, no sign of the cheque being cashed so probably not even opened yet

A bit off this topic, but as others are talking about it,  Looking to renew insurance on the Daf 33 at 20 Feb,  but I will have to wait until after 20 Jan, no one wants to quote until inside a month to the start date. What have others found?

21 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

image.thumb.png.e2006a974f6f3dad9b8a931b6b64a506.pngApologies if this has already been posted, it’s Taroni’s scrap yard in Birmingham. Spot the Invacar, I wonder how it ended up in a general breakers yard? 

Oh interesting! no not a pic I have seen before, it looks like its an AC Model 67! do you have a link to its original source? just so I can see if I can pull a higher res version :) 

it reminds me a lot of this shot :) (which I think is also a Model 67 but I cant say for sure)

10776905185_2bcfa8ff8f_o.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32293736@N04/10776905185/

it probably ended up there after the user gave it up/it became life expired and the approved repairer sent it to the breakers yard to be disposed  of

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh interesting! no not a pic I have seen before, it looks like its an AC Model 67! do you have a link to its original source? just so I can see if I can pull a higher res version :) 

It's on Facebook, "Scrapyards from the good old days" and the poster was Geoffrey Taroni.  The photo was taken c1983 in the Electric Avenue, Witton yard.