LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/posts/3307458199575722/

in other Invacar news I see LVX250J (JBY503J) has been papped out and about :) 

275115161_10159719498452229_3444109446848217264_n.thumb.jpeg.794e92538c6fa79756e5d69bbe6f8093.jpeg

very awesome to see! as LVX250J is the only Invacar Mk12, and in-fact AFAIK the only Villiers powered invalid vehicle I know of that is road worthy and in semi-regular use

so its very awesome to see the owner is still getting out and about in it :) 

its also an interesting shot seeing it among the vast number of moderns around it, looked like it just drove through a wormhole from 1972 to 2022 and is very lost and confused!

Episode 1 of 'keeping up with the aristocrats' has the owner of Carlton Towers in Yorkshire driving round the grounds in an old invalid carriage at the beginning of part 2 or 3 - possibly a Harding? Not sure if it's one that is known to you LBF. Can also be see at the very start here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x87sy0v

6 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Episode 1 of 'keeping up with the aristocrats' has the owner of Carlton Towers in Yorkshire driving round the grounds in an old invalid carriage at the beginning of part 2 or 3 - possibly a Harding? Not sure if it's one that is known to you LBF. Can also be see at the very start here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x87sy0v

hah cool! If anyones able to grab some screen shots of it/note down if it has a reg mark or not that would be cool :) 

indeed looks like a Harding to me but its hard to say from the 1.5 seconds its on screen sadly!

Have to say a Harding is not very aristocratical (if thats a word? LOL) if your looking for an aristocratical invalid carriage then what you want is a Carter of some kind LOL :) 

On 05/03/2022 at 14:51, High Jetter said:

If you go to 16 minutes you'll see more of it, with the plate at about 16:30

ah cool!

image.thumb.png.3382f115d6d198f4430cb627222ef2a2.png

its a an Electric Stanley Argson :) (not a Harding as I thought, from the forward view in the first 1st second or so it looked like he had 2 hands up on the controls, and only generally hardings had such a 2 handed bicycle control scheme back then)

"when your trying to drive, What the fucks that!" gave me a good chuckle :) 

I think its registration mark is OPJxxx, which is interesting as I dont have any OPJxxx Argsons on my list! shame I cant quite make out the rest of the mark

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I think its registration mark is OPJxxx

Looks like a 'G' or 'C' to me, rather than an 'O'.

It's not the only three-wheeled electric car to feature in the Fitzalan-Howard family...
https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/bernard-fitzalan-howard-16th-duke-norfolk-died-175-2018017a

On 05/03/2022 at 17:11, Mrs6C said:

Looks like a 'G' or 'C' to me, rather than an 'O'.

It's not the only three-wheeled electric car to feature in the Fitzalan-Howard family...
https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/bernard-fitzalan-howard-16th-duke-norfolk-died-175-2018017a

interesting :) 

I dont THINK it would be a G or C (or a D for that matter) because CPJxxx DPJxxx and GPJxxx where all 1930's registration mark series

and that does not quite look like a 1930's Argson to me

here is JPC621 a 1939 Electric stanley Argson and you can see the difference in chassis construction

83384390_2420782318252104_6935232277244805120_n.thumb.jpg.fde680957799b8bd8190d5f49412b749.jpg

(note for example on the foot board area, there are 2 little "chassis tubes" that poke out and have 45 degree members coming back off them, which I dont see on the Argson above)

here is a later electric Argson that matches the above OPJxxx machine :)  (note the thicker side section with the 3 bolts on the end in a triangular shape)

11366637203_9282a31d3d_b.thumb.jpg.9a23b26597dafe6a89cf1ecf39304360.jpg

and then for completeness sake here is a later Argson Electric Deluxe (note the different front fork arrangement )

GAW089.thumb.jpg.c4801c5ab6c89d7f7c21f76f1f11b85a.jpg

21 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Not a lightbulb per se. But presumably you may be interested in the mercury arc rectifier on the antiques roadshow this evening? It’s basically an enormous lightbulb.

https://www.postalmuseum.org/blog/powering-mail-rail/#

oooh yeah!

getting a MAR is one of my collection holy grail items!

fuck knows where id put it, and god-forbid it broke (they contain several kilos of mercury)

but I would be lying if I did not say I wanted one badly :) 

(a long with a 3 Phase mains supply and trolly bus to put it to give it a good workout :))

21 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It’s basically an enormous lightbulb.

indeed! more so then you realise, as the Mercury arc rectifier is a direct descendent/development of the Cooper-Hewitt lamp :) 

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/M6 Cooper Hewitt.htm

6 minutes ago, reb said:

I present (probably) the only invacar tattoo in the world:

20220306_204813.thumb.jpg.bc23b6200c5ab61b5bf30e4a48c1e6ba.jpg

(Yes, it's real)

and now no one cant say your dedicated to the life of AutoShite-ing! :) 

(and before anyone suggests it no even I dont have an Invacar/Model 70 Tattoo LOL)

gives me a massive grin to see it :) 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

getting a MAR is one of my collection holy grail items!

fuck knows where id put it, and god-forbid it broke (they contain several kilos of mercury)

I don't know if it's still running, but they used to have one at the Think-tank museum in Birmingham. This video looks like it was still running in 2016:

18 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

Good idea, but its awful!  Why not have it done properly? 

Car tattoo2.jpg

Hate to tell you this, but that tattoo is going to warp constantly, never look right unless it's held in this exact position and the distance between the thin lines is too small for it to blur and age so it'll be a muddy mess in 2-5 years. Also it's facing the wrong way for a forearm tattoo, it should face down towards the hand. This also doesn't work well with the area of the body, the curve of the arm makes it look disproportionate when the stencil could have been spot on, this should be a shoulder onto chest or side of a muscly thigh.

Also I did tattoo it properly; I altered the original design so it wasn't a copy whereas tattooing mechanical drawings taken from things like Halfords books is actually a breech of copyright and can get artists in heaps of trouble. You'd need to pay someone to draw it or do it yourself which is expensive until you have a friend doing an online apprenticeship needing practice. Simpler bolder designs always last better.

24 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

You are probably right, I dont know much about the technical aspects of tattoos.  But I still think it looks awful.

You're allowed to have different taste but ignorant style or school desk is actually a really  cool and common style nowadays and it holds up a lot better than fine line technical or colour realism. The point of it is "design a shit tattoo that'll look exactly the same in 30 years, like shit" and that's fuckin cool