LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Sadly I think most of the AC's buildings have long since been flattened 

The Ferry Works buildings are still there in Thames Ditton. They were home to the PRP Architects' practice in 2014:
https://www.prp-co.uk/news/prp-surrey-studio-refurbishment.html

Here's a photo from an earlier time, with bonus AC invalid car...
1960s AC factory with AC invalid car - Thames Ditton - cropped.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Pretty good, I'd say. The ready-fitted breather is a good feature.

The flicked up rear to the jerry can isn't an issue. It's the LHS handle (as you face it with filler to the front) that needs modification/removal as it gets in the way of the bracket on the bulkhead.

The idea was to try setting up a mild steel one first as a prototype before investing in a stainless steel version, but that particular product seems good value with the postage included.

ah thats good to know :) just figured id post it as it looked pretty good to me, but im happy to let you decide how to go about things as I know you have had far more experience in such matters then I have :) 

(and good to know flick up at the rear wont cause problems, as most Jerry cans have that)

8 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

The Ferry Works buildings are still there in Thames Ditton. They were home to the PRP Architects' practice in 2014:
https://www.prp-co.uk/news/prp-surrey-studio-refurbishment.html

Here's a photo from an earlier time, with bonus AC invalid car...
1960s AC factory with AC invalid car - Thames Ditton - cropped.jpg

Oh thats cool, interesting tidbit about the Electric light thing...

I have come across that picture before, but I dont think its an AC invalid vehicle, I think its an AC Petite :) 

for completeness sake here is a fuzzy picture of the first AC Model 67's being built at apparently AC's Taggs island works (from what I understand production moved to the main thames ditton work at some point, not sure if during the Model 67 Production run or between Model 67 and the Model 70)

ic101.jpeg.5a445babed90b22a9ee19ddf2eaec261.jpeg

(its interesting to note even the ramps the Model 70's sit on are much beefier then that used for Model 67 production LOL)

40 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

HFM!?

18 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Agreed, does it come with fuel in it?

yall really dont want to know what a duplication Job by a proper fabrication shop like what zels shiny ally tank costs then! LOL

(which was the original plan until I learnt the price had gone up because of brexit n stuff)

if anyone has any better ideas im all ears :) but I dont think there are any "plug and play" off the shelf solutions sadly

I dont think anyone makes a 20L fuel tank in a Jerry can/Model 70 fuel tank, aspect ratio if that makes sense AFAIK?

I do find it amusing/almost comical just how close in shape and size a Model 70 fuel tank is to a Jerry can, you do have to wonder if a Jerry can was an inspiration at all, like someone looked at Jerry can, offered it up to a prototype and went "perfect!" LOL

On 17/04/2020 at 14:57, Eyersey1234 said:

That reminds me @LightBulbFunI must get to the streetlife museum in Hull when this shitty situation is over and see if I can locate the Invacars there

On 17/04/2020 at 15:00, LightBulbFun said:

ah yes see if you can find (and grab pictures of/info on) GVW564H :)  

Yay! I have a picture of GVW564H at long last :) from here http://humbermuseums.com/stores/curators-choice-invacar/

(yet another writeup that claims they where banned! that will forever haunt us I think LOL)

1980_176_80.1c-1024x681.thumb.jpg.cd50737fe59c5c4337c70e513c225e1e.jpg

I like its name "Love lingers on" :) its interesting to hear that it came off the road in 1976, explains why it does not show up on the DVLA today, I wonder if it even made it onto the computer system or not... 

I also wonder if its a private example or not, they way its talked about makes me think so, I also wonder what prompted its saving, in 1976, the Media was still actively rubbishing them to high hell and back

and they where still common as muck then, so I wonder how or why this one was saved :) (not that I am complaining! Just rather curious)

just GVW575H to find out of the 3 GVW-H cars that are known to survive (although I have even less info on GVW575H then I did on GVW564H!)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yay! I have a picture of GVW564H at long last :) from here http://humbermuseums.com/stores/curators-choice-invacar/

(yet another writeup that claims they where banned! that will forever haunt us I think LOL)

1980_176_80.1c-1024x681.thumb.jpg.cd50737fe59c5c4337c70e513c225e1e.jpg

I like its name "Love lingers on" :) its interesting to hear that it came off the road in 1976, explains why it does not show up on the DVLA today, I wonder if it even made it onto the computer system or not... 

I also wonder if its a private example or not, they way its talked about makes me think so, I also wonder what prompted its saving, in 1976, the Media was still actively rubbishing them to high hell and back

and they where still common as muck then, so I wonder how or why this one was saved :) (not that I am complaining! Just rather curious)

just GVW575H to find out of the 3 GVW-H cars that are known to survive (although I have even less info on GVW575H then I did on GVW564H!)

Looks like the preserved Panther to the right, that brings back memories.

16 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Looks like the preserved Panther to the right, that brings back memories.

long shot but none of those memories happen to include what GVW564H's chassis plate looked like if it was missing the government property bit or better yet what its chassis number was? LOL

on a more serious note the chap with the Consort has been making continued awesome progress :) 

DSCF1233.JPG

DSCF1234.JPG

DSCF1236.JPG

DSCF1237.JPG

he is hopefully to have it done by next week which is amazing progress!

I wonder if the chap he bought it from knows how well its being restored :) 

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

It's your money but given you don't work a £20 steel jerry can will hold petrol in exactly the same way and be easier to attach fittings to.

yeah I do believe the plan is to try on a regular one first and see how well that works

although I do notice most regular Jerry cans have a great big seem running down the front, right where the sender hole in the original  tank is, so I am not sure how that might affect things?

I just had no clue that stainless steel Jerry cans where a thing, and being rust resistant and already having a breather (not to mention no seems to worry about)

I figured id just post it here and see what the thoughts where (they are also very shiny :) )

plus Im not the only one with a Model 70 in need of a Fuel tank, so it will also be useful for others to know what might make a good substitute etc :) 

on the same subject, another shitter has also kindly contacted me saying that a friend of his might be able to knock up a replacement from the original  tank, so I have told him to contact @Mrs6C who has the originals, so maybe/hopefully something will come of that :) 

LBF, slight topic swerve - was it 1981 when DVLA digitised their records? I.e. if a vehicle which wasn't currently on the road wasn't made known to the DVLA, it dropped off their books? I've seen a motorbike which has no V5 but was last due tax on 01 August 1981...

Have an an Invacar photo as payment! No idea on the car or the bloke, but thought the 'keep out the water' repairs might make you chuckle.

imgID31591704.jpg.gallery.jpg

22 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

LBF, slight topic swerve - was it 1981 when DVLA digitised their records? I.e. if a vehicle which wasn't currently on the road wasn't made known to the DVLA, it dropped off their books? I've seen a motorbike which has no V5 but was last due tax on 01 August 1981...

the 1st of October 1974 is when the V5/computer scheme started and the DVLC took over from county councils

all new vehicle registrations in England from that point onwards was on the new fangled computer system and all registration series reset to Gxx-N to signify it and every new vehicle registered from that point onwards had a V5

now existing vehicles on buff logbooks had until 1983 to computerise after which things got a lot more difficult for them to retain their original registration mark etc

although from what I have seen most vehicles which where actively in use during that period, all Computerised in the mid to late 1970's which makes me wonder if there was an earlier cut off point for vehicles on the road, like if you want to continue taxing this vehicle you need to computerise it, as all the older vehicles iv seen computerised in the later 1970's early 1980's have all been ones which where off the road at the time

now early V5's where not dated, so if a vehicle last had a V5 issued roughly before 1979, then you will not get a Date of last V5 issued, although V5 will have very much been issued

and if that was the last V5 issued then it still valid today no matter what people tell you, V5's do not expire!

for example here I am checking the taxation rates of a vehicle the with the 11 digit number of its last V5 issued in about April 1975!

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFoundWithV5C-2020-12-12-23_46_21.png

its one of the things I love about the DVLA, in a lot of regards the back end system has not changed since 1974, and as someone who is into computers and vintage computers I find that highly fascinating 

now at some sadly unknown point in time, the DVLA took a whole bunch of computerised records which had not seen any activity since about 1983 or so and archived them off the system, we think to perhaps free up a bit of space,

so for example if you have a vehicle that was computerised in 1976, but came off the road and was untaxed since 1979, it would not show up today unless it saw other activity after that date (say if it was marked scrapped in 1983 then it would still show up today)

but if it just saw nothing after 1979 then it likely wont show up today even tho it was V5'ed/computerised back in the day

which leads to a lot of people thinking a vehicle might never have been computerised and that you will have to register the vehicle again, when that is not the case!

you can still V62 for these archived vehicles, see for example @Mrs6C Invacar Mk12 :)  which was one such vehicle that was computerised back in the day but came off the road sometime before the 1st of August 1980 (which was its tax due date) and did not show up on the DVLA until @egg V62'ed for it and forced the DVLA to unarchive the vehicle and put it back on the main computer system ( @strangeangel I think also has such a Moped which was last on the road in 1979 and got similarly revived with a V62 :) )

the only slight issue is, there is no quick and easy way to tell if a vehicle that does not show up on the DVLA checker today is one that was computerised but simply archived off the main system, or if it really actually did not get computerised which the DVLA wont have any info on

(although depending on how much you know about the vehicles history you can use that to gauge if it did or did not, for example if you know the vehicle was in active use in 1979, then it likely was computerised, and if you have a tax disk for the vehicle and it has a validation character on it then the vehicle was very much computerised and the DVLA will hold records on it no matter what the checker tells you!)

all this is for example why you rarely come across vehicles with Pre 1983 tax due dates and if you do, they will often show other signs of activity after the tax due date (for example later V5's issued or keeper changes or even scrapped markers)

see REV453R for example :) 

so yeah that motorbike just simply had a V5 issued at some point before they started to date them, so shows no date for last V5 issued although it very much had one issued!

hopefully all this makes sense!

(as a side note back in the day they would actually tell you when an older vehicle was computerised, as the keeper count would not carry over from a buff logbook to a V5 so they would put "number of keepers: XXX since such and such date" tell people that the amount of keepers a vehicle has only goes back to this date, and that date was normally when the vehicle was computerised however sadly they dropped this on more recent V5s) 

22 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Have an an Invacar photo as payment! No idea on the car or the bloke, but thought the 'keep out the water' repairs might make you chuckle.

imgID31591704.jpg.gallery.jpg

that is Simon Mckeown of the ICR in his Model 70 PPC363R (the OYP595 car)

appreciate the heads up just incase I had not seen it before tho :) 

12 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the 1st of October 1974 is when the V5/computer scheme started and the DVLC took over from county councils

all new vehicle registrations in England from that point onwards was on the new fangled computer system and all registration series reset to Gxx-N to signify it and every vehicle had a V5

now existing vehicles on buff logbooks had until 1983 to computerise after which things got a lot more difficult for them to retain their original registration mark etc

although from what I have seen most vehicles which where actively in use during that period, all Computerised in the mid to late 1970's which makes me wonder if there was an earlier cut off point for vehicles on the road, like if you want to continue taxing this vehicle you need to computerise it, as all the older vehicles iv seen computerised in the later 1970's early 1980's have all been ones which where off the road at the time

now early V5's where not dated, so if a vehicle last had a V5 issued roughly before 1979, then you will not get a Date of last V5 issued, although V5 will have very much been issued

and if that was the last V5 issued then it still valid today no matter what people tell you, V5's do not expire!

for example here I am checking the taxation rates of a vehicle the 11 digit number of its last V5 issued in about April 1975!

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFoundWithV5C-2020-12-12-23_46_21.png

its one of the things I love about the DVLA, in a lot of regards the back end system has not changed since 1974, and as someone who is into computers and vintage computers I find that high fascinating 

now at some sadly unknown point in time, the DVLA took a whole bunch of computerised records which had not seen any activity since about 1983 or so and archived them off the system, we think to perhaps free up a bit of space,

so for example if you have a vehicle that was computerised in 1976, but came off the road and was untaxed since 1979, it would not show up today unless it saw other activity after that date (say if it was marked scrapped in 1983 then it would still show up today)

but if it just saw nothing after 1979 then it likely wont show up today even tho it was V5'ed/computerised back in the day

which leads to a lot of people thinking a vehicle might never have been computerised and that you will have to register the vehicle again, when that is not the case!

you can still V62 for these archived vehicles, see for example @Mrs6C Invacar Mk12 :)  which was one such vehicle that was computerised back in the day but came off the road sometime before the 1st of August 1980 (which was its tax due date) and did not show up on the DVLA until @egg V62'ed for it and forced the DVLA to unarchive the vehicle and put it back on the main computer system ( @strangeangel I think also has such a Moped which was last on the road in 1979 and got similarly revived with a V62 :) )

the only slight issue is, there is no quick and easy way to tell if a vehicle that does not show up on the DVLA checker today is one that was computerised but simply archived off the main system, or if it really actually did not get computerised which the DVLA wont have any info on

(although depending on how much you know about the vehicles history you can use that to gauge if it did or did not, for example if you know the vehicle was in active use in 1979, then it likely was computerised, and if you have a tax disk for the vehicle and it has a validation character on it then the vehicle was very much computerised and the DVLA will hold records on it no matter what the checker tells you!)

all this is for example why you rarely come across vehicles with Pre 1983 tax due dates and if you do, they will often show other signs of activity after the tax due date (for example later V5's issued or keeper changes or even scrapped markers)

see REV453R for example :) 

so yeah that motorbike just simply had a V5 issued at some point before they started to date them, so shows no date for last V5 issued although it very much had one issued!

hopefully all this makes sense!

(as a side note back in the day they would actually tell you when an older vehicle was computerised, as the keeper count would not carry over from a buff logbook to a V5 so they would put "number of keepers: XXX since such and such date" tell people that the amount of keepers a vehicle has only goes back to this date, and that date was normally when the vehicle was computerised however sadly they dropped this on more recent V5s) 

that is Simon Mckeown of the ICR in his Model 70 PPC363R (the OYP595 car)

appreciate the heads up just incase I had not seen it before tho :) 

Thanks chap. That's good news. Last V5C was issued in 1980 according to the checker app. 

I'll wait with bated breath for the seller to receive his V5C - it could be next week or next year going by DVLA turnaround speeds at the moment. Whatever the case, I guess I'd be asking for a can of worms if I bought it prior to the paperwork landing on his doormat. 

1 minute ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Thanks chap. That's good news. Last V5C was issued in 1980 according to the checker app. 

I'll wait with bated breath for the seller to receive his V5C - it could be next week or next year going by DVLA turnaround speeds at the moment. Whatever the case, I guess I'd be asking for a can of worms if I bought it prior to the paperwork landing on his doormat. 

ohh I understand, I had read 

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I've seen a motorbike which has no V5 but was last due tax on 01 August 1981...

as in it showed up on the DVLA but with no V5 date showing LOL

how long it takes for the new V5 to arrive depends, if he has not moved house in 40 years and is still the same keeper as on that 1981 V5 then he should be able to simply in theory request a duplicate V5 online which turns around pretty quickly

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

otherwise if he still has that 1981 V5 then you should in theory be able to do a keeper change with it online to your name (I know this works for V5's and vehicles last taxed in 1987, not seen it tried with anything older yet)

and again the turn around time will be nice and quick, as the DVLA automatically immediately   issue a New V5 on keeper changes (there is no longer a "not taxed keeper change" period)

and you as a bonus can keep the 1981 V5 for your history file :) 

if a keeper change is to take place, via a V62

then because the vehicle has been inactive for so long the DVLA may send a V894 back asking for just some details on the vehicle with some pictures etc (they will also send a V627 built up vehicle report but this is not applicable if the vehicle is not a built up vehicle!)

showing that yes after all these years it really does still exist! 

but if any details dont match up and you V62 with the wrong chassis number or wrong registration number etc

then your in for a world of pain,

so MAKE SURE the details all check out before you do a V62

(and thats true for any vehicle no matter how long its been untaxed for etc)

Ooo (these jokes never get old LOL) check it out!

its not the clearest in the world, but check this out from Adam who found it in a York past and present facebook page he is part of

an actual picture of K Suffix Invacar Mk12 at long last :)  

185173853_313547756837744_3456333154033727650_n.thumb.png.90a7e43aca9a30ec27e55771aa94ba8f.png

OOO372K part of the OOO301K-OOO400K block which I discovered all the way back on page 83 :) 

image.png.71dd6e8f60434c52caf3fb48f46da109.png

(its fun, I used to find blocks from pictures, now I find the blocks first and the pictures later!)

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ohh I understand, I had read 

as in it showed up on the DVLA but with no V5 date showing LOL

how long it takes for the new V5 to arrive depends, if he has not moved house in 40 years and is still the same keeper as on that 1981 V5 then he should be able to simply in theory request a duplicate V5 online which turns around pretty quickly

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-log-book

otherwise if he still has that 1981 V5 then you should in theory be able to do a keeper change with it online to your name (I know this works for V5's and vehicles last taxed in 1987, not seen it tried with anything older yet)

and again the turn around time will be nice and quick, as the DVLA automatically immediately   issue a New V5 on keeper changes (there is no longer a "not taxed keeper change" period)

and you as a bonus can keep the 1981 V5 for your history file :) 

if a keeper change is to take place, via a V62

then because the vehicle has been inactive for so long the DVLA may send a V894 back asking for just some details on the vehicle with some pictures etc (they will also send a V627 built up vehicle report but this is not applicable if the vehicle is not a built up vehicle!)

showing that yes after all these years it really does still exist! 

but if any details dont match up and you V62 with the wrong chassis number or wrong registration number etc

then your in for a world of pain,

so MAKE SURE the details all check out before you do a V62

(and thats true for any vehicle no matter how long its been untaxed for etc)

Hmm. Have checked again and it looks as though the bike, whilst being a mid 1950s bike, was 'first registered' on 01 August 1980. V5C issued 01 September 1980. Tax not renewed when it ran out 01 August 1981.

Do you reckon it's been re-registered? Weird. 

If you'd prefer I didn't fill your thread up with this, pm and I'll bin these bits. Ta fella. 

18 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Hmm. Have checked again and it looks as though the bike, whilst being a mid 1950s bike, was 'first registered' on 01 August 1980. V5C issued 01 September 1980. Tax not renewed when it ran out 01 August 1981.

Do you reckon it's been re-registered? Weird. 

If you'd prefer I didn't fill your thread up with this, pm and I'll bin these bits. Ta fella. 

no I dont mind :) infact I had just come across some past DVLA ramblings of mine, which included this which I was thinking of bringing back up for you

s-l1600 (15).jpg

an example of a vehicle (a Moped funnily enough) which was very much computerised but that was never taxed beyond about 1979 IIRC and as such does not show up today as it was archived off back when they did that, but did clearly make it onto the computer back in the day :) 

this moped does still exist somewhere IIRC (I pinched the picture from the ebay tat thread LOL and somewhere in this thread is a picture of the Moped itself), so I do periodically shove its reg XRW682L into the checker to see if anyone ever brings it back to life LOL

also funnily enough the vehicle right next to EPA414J the youngest known surviving Model 57, came back to life recently EPA413J, which is a BSA of some kind certainly was not live back when I first found EPA414J so that was neat to see :) untaxed since 1979 but a recent V5, a clear indication that it made it onto the system got archived off it then brought back to life via a V62 recently

but anyways funny you should mention the date of first registration anomaly as I was just explaining that in @adw1977's spotting thread :) 

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

just means it was first registered with the DVLA computer system in 1978, and for whatever reason its original  registration date in the UK was not put down or perhaps not known (if the buff logbook was lost)

this was when they where doing mass transfers of vehicle from buff logbooks to the V5 scheme and you could make up almost any old story to get a car onto the system etc

its more then likely been a UK car its entire life, its just that for whatever reason, when it was computerised during the 1974-1983 computerisation scheme, that the date of first registration recorded was when it was computerised rather then actually first road registered in this country 

see for example NOO776M, KRW794, TEV673N, BPK646H, UPB406M as some more examples :) 

basically I would not worry too much about it, it just means for whatever reason when it was being computerised its original date of first registration was not recorded or not known

(if say the buff logbook had gone missing etc) 

if you have sufficient evidence you can contact the DVLA get the date corrected (sufficient evidence would be say its buff logbook or its entry in the county council registration records if they still exist for the area the vehicle was first registered in)

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

no I dont mind :) infact I had just come across some past DVLA ramblings of mine, which included this which I was thinking of bringing back up for you

s-l1600 (15).jpg

an example of a vehicle (a Moped funnily enough) which was very much computerised but that was never taxed beyond about 1979 IIRC and as such does not show up today as it was archived off back when they did that, but did clearly make it onto the computer back in the day :) 

this moped does still exist somewhere IIRC (I pinched the picture from the ebay tat thread LOL and somewhere in this thread is a picture of the Moped itself), so I do periodically shove its reg XRW682L into the checker to see if anyone ever brings it back to life LOL

also funnily enough the vehicle right next to EPA414J the youngest known surviving Model 57, came back to life recently EPA413J, which is a BSA of some kind certainly was not live back when I first found EPA414J so that was neat to see :) untaxed since 1979 but a recent V5, a clear indication that it made it onto the system got archived off it then brought back to life via a V62 recently

but anyways funny you should mention the date of first registration anomaly as I was just explaining that in @adw1977's spotting thread :) 

basically I would not worry too much about it, it just means for whatever reason when it was being computerised its original date of first registration was not recorded or not known

(if say the buff logbook had gone missing etc) 

if you have sufficient evidence you can contact the DVLA get the date corrected (sufficient evidence would be say its buff logbook or its entry in the county council registration records if they still exist for the area the vehicle was first registered in)

Thanks again fella. I'll have a proper chat with the seller tomorrow evening to find out what's what. I reckon he's bought it from a long-term owner after it being tucked away for years. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Thanks again fella. I'll have a proper chat with the seller tomorrow evening to find out what's what. I reckon he's bought it from a long-term owner after it being tucked away for years. 

the one thing Ill say is, is it wearing its original  registration mark?

if its an age related number from an age related series  issued from the same time period as when the vehicle was first registered

then yeah its effectively been re-registered, because its original registration number must of been unknown at the time, and so whoever owned it would of just registered with their Local VRO declaring it manufactured whenever its from and would of been given a suitable age related plate

that would get it a then current date of first registration as well obviously

in Model 70 news

Adam has managed to get his hands a couple Model 70 engines :) 

rather amusingly he thought he was just getting 2 engines ,but 1 engine turned out to just be the entire rear half of a Model 70! (minus Bodywork sadly)

which he was rather pleased about as it contained a bunch of small bits and bobs he needed to finish off KPL139P's rebuild :) 

image.thumb.png.4a4562decc8a36ab7f392508c9fca830.png

and the other engine also seen behind, came in an original crate a New engine from the ministry stores would of shipped in, sadly its the engine that was supposed to go back to the Ministry for exchange rather than a new one!

as such it was sadly broken, in good external shape, but something nasty happened to it at 

image.thumb.png.aae7449145682abe8fbfbabe92b77ffc.png

image.thumb.png.9276e272fa0cbe87c0d1b90408390992.png

almost looks like catastrophic head gasket failure on  a water cooled car,

but these are air cooled and dont even have head gaskets so I wonder just what the hell happened to this poor engine!

anyways, luckily for adam as rough as the Skye cars engine (TPE376S) looked from the outside it did turn over just fine, and indeed on stripping it down it looked like new on the inside

so he has been using its main bits to rebuild the "crate" engine :) 

image.thumb.png.8dabae6ede68ac8cdceb1efb46db3f6a.png

the origial create/box is interesting too, because its stamped With STY321

image.thumb.png.e75f6f4e39ae0bd4fb5519e5983394d4.png

which is a bit odd as STY321 does not decode to anything on the Ministry parts list but STY320 is the Store number for a Model 70 engine, so I have to wonder was STY321 the ministry store number for the actual wooden box itself?

as a side note heres an interesting view looking down the barrel of the TPE376S's engine its interesting to see how the spark plug sits in situ  

image.thumb.png.359268ce115e79a3dace9ed15473a440.png

12 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Looks like a new barrel or barely run-in; the hone marks are quite vivid.

likely the later as the Car its from only has about 5K on it ( @Zelandeth or @dollywobbler next time anyone complains about rusty handle bars just send them this picture!)

image.thumb.png.8e7dd53f706081a9fe5253d4fbe1e674.png

still impressive tho given just how utterly fucked anything made of metal on the car was

image.thumb.png.da4827d0baa1f04d6b347eb246b7db94.png

pretty sure the body is holding whats left of the car/chassis together, impressive given that the body is not meant to be load bearing any sort of way

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

They're nice! They aren't so useful though as a starting point for an actual petrol tank, as they don't have the strengthening ribs in the sides or the breather piece installed.

29 minutes ago, doug said:

Spotted this and thought you might like it 50262bc2d27b6bc034ce993894bf0080.jpg

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

its one I have seen many times now, as its a Free use image no rights attached to it thing so it gets plastered all over the internet (relatively speaking)

but I still appreciate the heads up/thought :) 

it is one of the few Model 70's to have been pictured more then once in Ministry service 

22157157_1855338641160176_7135265023231787008_n.jpg

although there are number of small differences in this later photograph that make me wonder if by this time this Model 70 was not actually JPF413N but just another wearing its plates because of good old Approved repairer shenanigans 

9 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

its one I have seen many times now, as its a Free use image no rights attached to it thing so it gets plastered all over the internet (relatively speaking)

but I still appreciate the heads up/thought :) 

it is one of the few Model 70's to have been pictured more then once in Ministry service 

22157157_1855338641160176_7135265023231787008_n.jpg

although there are number of small differences in this later photograph that make me wonder if by this time this Model 70 was not actually JPF413N but just another wearing its plates because of good old Approved repairer shenanigans 

Number plate different. Front badge mounted in a different place. Rail above the door looks different. Even the lip on the edge of the rear arch looks different. Got to be a ringer?!

this gave me a good chuckle

17 hours ago, Isopon said:

17 hours ago, willswitchengage said:

Is that Opel a UK model or from Ireland or somewhere? Can't tell if the speedo is in mph or km

17 hours ago, Isopon said:

The included HPI check says that it isn't imported... if thats anything to go by.

as its its certainly been registered here in period and I know that because VNB-S was an in Period registration series for Manchester

image.thumb.png.b0ebd13d46d20398060a502e428ea85b.png

and I know that without even looking anything up, because the only Non factory Registered British Ministry Model 70 is VNB590S :) 

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 13.26.41.png

which funnily enough was a suspected diverted or reimported NI car :) (which had then clearly been registered by Heywood) 

16 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Number plate different. Front badge mounted in a different place. Rail above the door looks different. Even the lip on the edge of the rear arch looks different. Got to be a ringer?!

indeed! I suspect that it must of come in for something and the approved reaper just slapped its ID on another car they had round back rather then actually sort out whatever it is JPF came in for!

sadly it was all too common towards the end of the scheme

(some of them where impressively half arsed tho, like putting Invacar plates on an AC car and even leaving the AC badge in place LOL, but others where more thorough  with also VIN plates and whole front ends also being swapped about)

heres a higher rez version of the first pic for those curious :) 

1974ish_Invacar_in_London.jpg