LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Great to see those fantastic photos of a previously unknown car. In an effort to figure out where the BPE-H block started I couldn't find any ACs but was surprised to see there are a couple of survivors: BPE 1H is a yellow Volvo, currently taxed with a V5 issued in February this year, and BPE 11H is a blue BMW on SORN. BPE 19H must be the earliest known car and there could only be two before it as BPE 16H was a Suzuki moped but 17 and 18 are not found.

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Great to see those fantastic photos of a previously unknown car. In an effort to figure out where the BPE-H block started I couldn't find any ACs but was surprised to see there are a couple of survivors: BPE 1H is a yellow Volvo, currently taxed with a V5 issued in February this year, and BPE 11H is a blue BMW on SORN. BPE 19H must be the earliest known car and there could only be two before it as BPE 16H was a Suzuki moped but 17 and 18 are not found.

indeed, I did noticed when I was feeling these out way back on page 70 (hah) that a few of the Non Model 70 regular BPE-H vehicles survive

I do wonder if BPE17H and BPE18H are also Model 70's now or not!

of the user trial cars,

BPE22H

566767030_Screenshot2021-04-30at22_00_46.thumb.png.fa9909f0891d3bd4ff96cf92ab10f5a2.png

BPE29H

776537504_Screenshot2021-04-30at22_01_21.thumb.png.63907a420b4fb8d73eb2bbc22a1d377b.png

and BPE30H

1156075282_Screenshot2021-04-30at22_01_49.thumb.png.86986521a12bf25788526026f37270e8.png

are those which still show up on the DVLA today, BPE35H is also a User trial car I have a picture of but cant share sadly, and going by the fact that BPE41H is a Morris 

you can see why I thought BPE21H-BPE40H where Model 70's and that BPE17H-BPE19H where just regular vehicles that did not show up today, but clearly BPE19H is a Model 70 as well!

a couple other interesting things to note about the BPE-H Model 70's, is BPE-H the registration series was issued January 1970, but the User trial cars where only registered in July 1970, as if to say AC had reserved those registrations, but only registered the cars when they realised they where about to lose those marks come August, so registered the cars even if they where not on the road yet or maybe did not even exist yet! just to save the marks for when the cars where ready

(I dont know exactly when the user trials took place, infact they where bit of an "urban myth" until I found the BPE-H block and their chassis numbers :) until then Stuart thought BPE35H was a lone car)

perhaps BPE19H (and BPE17H BPE18H?) was ready by January, but the user trial cars where not built until later?

also of note/rather amusingly BPE501H-BPE700H is a block of Model 67's :) 

I just clicked through on BPE 16H and amazingly it too survives on SORN!

that ones interesting, I suspect its a reclaimed V765'ed Job, due to the way the make has been recorded, the fact the year is down as 1969 but first registered 1970 (back in the day they normally did not care for such small discrepancies, see XWC468F which was made in December 1967)

and finally because it has a used before first registration marker

Quite remarkable that three of potentially only 16 vehicles registered before the first Model 70 are still with us. Now if only one of those user trial cars was still out there too!

the First Model 70 not quite but still pretty neat none the less :) , by 1967 Prototype 5 was already on the road, PPL-E (the actual numbers are sadly not very legible) what prototypes 1 through 4 looked like we dont know sadly, but its interesting to note that PPL-E predates even the first known Model 67's!

and then there where Prototypes 6, 7 and 8, the first of the Steyr puch cars, Supposedly built in 1969, so potentially G suffix :) 

I have to wonder if BPE17H and BPE18H are Prototypes 7 and 8 with only Prototype 6 being a 1969 car? I know that by 1969 the first Steyr puch engines (note plural) had arrived at AC and that the Ministry had a Pre production specification for an automatic invalid tricycle dated for June-September 1969, and that the Ministry had a Production (not Pre production!) specification down dated Jan 1970 (which im guessing lead to the user trial cars?)

the next known Ministry specification revision is dated only to September 1972 (which is curiously enough about when the DHSS Workshop manual for the Model 70 3 wheeler went to print) but I dont know if we are simply missing one for June 1971 when the Model 70 entered production or not

this is one of the things I love about the Model 70, in a lot of ways it mirrors the Routemaster, a lot of ways, with the long development/gestation period and then long service life! 

complete with Prototypes just staying in service, the 20 user trial cars and the 24 RMLs for example :) and no one outside London Transport/the Ministry really buying any!, just the Northern  General/BEA RMs and the Small handful of private machines!

(and they both suffered from a whole bunch of teething issues and people saying they where old fashioned before they had even come out)  

15 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

...Thondorf...

That's interesting, Thondorf is a village south of the A2 autobahn that runs past the factory and is not quite on my aerial view above. I guess it was the nearest bit of open land to the factory for publicity shots, perhaps they were doing some road tests and decided it was a good destination on a familiar route? It looks like you can get there from the factory using suburban roads and avoiding the autobahn...

image.png.b963e5485cdbaf86e11d6b04ba289251.png

15 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

My guess is that it went by train.

that must of been fun, if you where travelling through England to Austria for a Holiday or something, and you see an invalid vehicle being transported by rail thinking nothing of it (given the Ministry regularly transported invalid vehicles by rail)

only to get to Austria and see the same car being unloaded at the nearby station in Austria! LOL

16 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

Interesting that the air filter points to the RHS on the prototype but to the LHS on all of ours...

just did some checks, because it looked oddly familiar still, and yeah, Normal Steyr puch road cars etc have the air-filter pointing to the RHS (like in BPE19H)

the Production Model 70 is a bit unique with its LHS pointing air filter assembly, in that regard then, I have to wonder why they swapped it round for the Model 70 (was it simply an accessibility/ease of service thing or something else? because the engine on the Model 70 is not mounted centrally it is mounted more to the right hand side which would provide less space for changing the air filter, if left in its usual position etc or did they swap it round for other reasons?, then theirs TPAs (ex KPL's) Short and stubby assembly which I have literally never seen anywhere else)

a couple other Prototype Model 70 notes etc

if BPE17H-BPE19H are Model 70 Prototypes then BPE20H must be one as well (otherwise it leaves Prototype 10 missing)

I have to wonder if they had Prototypes 7 8 9 and 10 ready by Jan 1970, and when registering those 4 decided to also reserve BPE21H-BPE40H for when the user trial cars where ready later on? (hence their late Registration with respect to when BPE-H was issued as above)

another thing worth noting is that the Tiller control option, seems to have been a much later/last minute thing

for one the DHSS Model 70 Drivers handbook makes no mention of Tiller control, indeed it only shows user trial cars in all of its pictures, which is interesting! (looks like the Drivers handbook was printed all the way back for the User trial cars initially)

and in the workshop manual from 1972, the Tiller control car shown is a production machine where as the Handle bar and steering wheel machines are Prototypes/User trial cars

image.png

tell tail sign for a User trial car there is the interesting Egg shaped indentations on the dashboard, which never made it to production, and the separate R N D stickers which on production cars was 1 rectangular sticker

I have to wonder if tiller control only came about after the User trial where someone on the trial said "hey I could really do with a Villers style single handed Tiller please" and so they made the Tiller control option

(another side thing of note is how the early Production Model 70's had switches with chrome/silver outlines rather then regular black plastic ones as seen in all other Model 70's I think)

7 hours ago, Harriytait said:

Hi gang, just thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Harry I own MPU382J 

As most of you have probably already seen it's back end is almost completely missing due to a rear end crash, I'm after a rear panel if anyone has one or if anyone with a mk12 could use there original panel as a mold to make a repro I'd definitely be interested in buying it and obviously paying for your time, I'm hoping to put MPU back on the road by the end of summer use it for a bit and pass it on. I contemplated selling her last week as my other 4 classics really need attention too but now off road parking has been found I'm not really sure I want to part with it until I've at least used it once. 

Screenshot_20210429-154830.png

welcome! :) 

happy to see you on here with MPU, another one of the oddingley cars :)

I look forward to seeing your progress with the car :) 

@Harriytait I noticed on Facebook that you are looking for replacement wheels for MPU and that you have acquired a set of Mini 12 inch alloys 

please note the wheels fitted to Invacar Mk12's are NOT 12 inch Mini wheels, they are Dunlop LP 591 wheels, (only used by the Ministry AFAIK?)

it is important that you get the correct wheels, as if you get wheels with the wrong offset, the front wheel will no longer be in the centreline of the car and who knows what that would do to the handling!

as a temporary fix if you cant locate some Ministry specification 12 inch wheels, I would recommend finding some 10 inch Mini wheels of the Dunlop LP 1161 type (British Leyland Part number 21A2744)

they have the same 4 inch PCD and 24Mm offset of the 12 inch wheels and is what was used on 10 inch Model 70's when they moved away from the Dunlop LP 591 12 inch wheels 

so they should work as a suitable substitute (just make sure you use the correct 10 inch mini wheel nuts)

the only issue you may run into are the 10 inch wheels are a little wider then the Ministry 12 inch wheels

but , while I have never seen a Mk12 on 10 inch wheels, I have seen an Acedes Mk14/Mk14A Model 67 on 10 inch wheels, so Id like to think they would fit (certainly the AC acedes and Invacar Mk12 share the same brake drums)

ac1.jpg

38 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

@Harriytait I noticed on Facebook that you are looking for replacement wheels for MPU and that you have acquired a set of Mini 12 inch alloys 

please note the wheels fitted to Invacar Mk12's are NOT 12 inch Mini wheels, they are Dunlop LP 591 wheels, (only used by the Ministry AFAIK?)

it is important that you get the correct wheels, as if you get wheels with the wrong offset, the front wheel will no longer be in the centreline of the car and who knows what that would do to the handling!

as a temporary fix if you cant locate some Ministry specification 12 inch wheels, I would recommend finding some 10 inch Mini wheels of the Dunlop LP 1161 type (British Leyland Part number 21A2744)

they have the same 4 inch PCD and 24Mm offset of the 12 inch wheels and is what was used on 10 inch Model 70's when they moved away from the Dunlop LP 591 12 inch wheels 

so they should work as a suitable substitute (just make sure you use the correct 10 inch mini wheel nuts)

the only issue you may run into are the 10 inch wheels are a little wider then the Ministry 12 inch wheels

but , while I have never seen a Mk12 on 10 inch wheels, I have seen an Acedes Mk14/Mk14A Model 67 on 10 inch wheels, so Id like to think they would fit (certainly the AC acedes and Invacar Mk12 share the same brake drums)

ac1.jpg

Don't worry, it's just to make it easier to roll around :)

blimey the DVLA are not hanging around are they! I have been helping @st185cs finally apply for the logbooks for his bundle of Model 70's

and the first ones already showing a new V5 issued! (same date as VJN953S above which is fun, not often you see Model 70's with date matching V5's LOL)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2021-05-03-02_26_10.thumb.png.778318de85747b17529fb143b586244d.png

the V62 was only sent off on the 20th of April! its almost suspiciously quick LOL

I know this Model 70 does not have a scrap marker and I know those generally go the quickest but 9 days is impressive (GTW614N did not have a scrapped marker and even then its V5 took a couple weeks to arrive, which again we thought was pretty quick back then)

I still wish I could find a picture of the form that the DVLA send keepers when someones V62ing for their car

I have to wonder if theres a "yeah this is fine, go ahead" tick box on the form that you can send back to speed up the process? and maybes thats whats happened here?

(or maybe that form just bounced right back to the DVLA because the address no longer exists etc?)

will be interesting to see how the others go, NOO738M especially as that one also has no scrapped marker

but glad to see things are progressing :)

38 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

Going back to @LightBulbFuns mould line query, I finally got chance to take a piccy of Brians.

@Harriytait, lovely to see one of Brians companions ready to receive attention. I hope your car is a little bit better condition barring the rear section.  

IMG_4426.JPG

Thanks, yeah she's in pretty good condition with a very good chassis 'a miracle by mk12 standards' 

Would there be any chance you could make me a rear panel using Brian's rear end as a mould? A pretty big challenge obviously and I will happily compensate you for the trouble. I just haven't a clue where to start finding an original 😕

1 hour ago, AdgeCutler said:

Going back to @LightBulbFuns mould line query, I finally got chance to take a piccy of Brians.

@Harriytait, lovely to see one of Brians companions ready to receive attention. I hope your car is a little bit better condition barring the rear section.  

IMG_4426.JPG

pointy lines, interesting just like other Invacar Model 70's I have seen :) think its pretty safe to say from this that all Invacar Model 70's had pointy lines from start to end of production

its interesting how the lines are the same style of pointy-ness despite obviously the moulds obviously being completely different, have to wonder if the shape of the mould lines was down to the fibreglass layup process they used, which was different between AC and Invacar, or if Invacar simply when they made the moulds themselves continued to use the same style of mould lines they used on the Mk12 (just like how they continued to use the same Passenger carrying is forbidden sign etc)

30 minutes ago, Harriytait said:

Thanks, yeah she's in pretty good condition with a very good chassis 'a miracle by mk12 standards' 

Would there be any chance you could make me a rear panel using Brian's rear end as a mould? A pretty big challenge obviously and I will happily compensate you for the trouble. I just haven't a clue where to start finding an original 😕

Harry, I'm afraid time is something I find incredibly hard to find and I wouldn't like to commit to offering you that. However, I do have the best part of your cars panel in my possession and would be happy for you to have it.

16 minutes ago, AdgeCutler said:

Harry, I'm afraid time is something I find incredibly hard to find and I wouldn't like to commit to offering you that. However, I do have the best part of your cars panel in my possession and would be happy for you to have it.

That would be really useful thankyou, I do wonder how much of the original panel is left so do share a picture when you have a chance! 

On 30/04/2021 at 20:37, Mrs6C said:

Interesting that the air filter points to the RHS on the prototype but to the LHS on all of ours...

Just noticed the air filter on the Jacking points/grease points drawing in the Workshop manual is also shown pointing to the Right hand side 

image.png

but this drawing shows Production rear lights, did early Production Model 70's have a RHS pointing air filter assembly I wonder, or is just an oversight from someone looking at a regular Steyr puch engine rather then a Model 70 specific one for the drawing?

I sadly dont think I have a good engine bay picture for anything that I know for certain is from the first production patch of 2500

the closest I have is of RRE20L, but it was registered JUST as that batch came to an end, and being a private car its chassis number does not tell me which batch it was a part of sadly

RRE20L-3.thumb.JPG.1167f5dbce9d102996c6f665c291ec20.JPG

(but it shows it pointing left)

On 02/05/2021 at 15:38, LightBulbFun said:

Yay! @OldBlokeInACaravan a V5 has been issued for your Invacar at long last :) 

842275809_Screenshot2021-05-02at15_36_39.thumb.png.c549e440c798d15f07ee665ee42b313a.png

(and you have no idea how relived I am to see this V5 being issued as the the DVLA decided to be difficult about it this time round!)

On 03/05/2021 at 12:25, LightBulbFun said:

blimey the DVLA are not hanging around are they! I have been helping @st185cs finally apply for the logbooks for his bundle of Model 70's

and the first ones already showing a new V5 issued! (same date as VJN953S above which is fun, not often you see Model 70's with date matching V5's LOL)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2021-05-03-02_26_10.thumb.png.778318de85747b17529fb143b586244d.png

the V62 was only sent off on the 20th of April! its almost suspiciously quick LOL

I know this Model 70 does not have a scrap marker and I know those generally go the quickest but 9 days is impressive (GTW614N did not have a scrapped marker and even then its V5 took a couple weeks to arrive, which again we thought was pretty quick back then)

I still wish I could find a picture of the form that the DVLA send keepers when someones V62ing for their car

I have to wonder if theres a "yeah this is fine, go ahead" tick box on the form that you can send back to speed up the process? and maybes thats whats happened here?

(or maybe that form just bounced right back to the DVLA because the address no longer exists etc?)

will be interesting to see how the others go, NOO738M especially as that one also has no scrapped marker

but glad to see things are progressing :)

Just had confirmation that both of these Model 70's V5's have arrived with their respective keepers today :) 

very happy/pleased to see I have successfully helped reunite 2 More surviving Model 70's with their Logbooks at long last :) 

(had hoped they would arrive today, since the 29th was on a Thursday so hoped they would be in the postal system by Friday and arrive by the end of the bank holiday weekend which looks like they have :) ) 

and yeah properly quick turn around time on UPB262M's front! has anyone had one go any quicker? LOL

(for a V62 keeper change, online duplicate V5 applications dont count!)

4 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Just had confirmation that both of these Model 70's V5's have arrived with their respective keepers today :) 

very happy/pleased to see I have successfully helped reunite 2 More surviving Model 70's with their Logbooks at long last :) 

(had hoped they would arrive today, since the 29th was on a Thursday so hoped they would be in the postal system by Friday and arrive by the end of the bank holiday weekend which looks like they have :) ) 

and yeah properly quick turn around time on UPB262M's front! has anyone had one go any quicker? LOL

(for a V62 keeper change, online duplicate V5 applications dont count!)

I think it's got something to do with the massive backlog of v5 related stuff at DVLA over covid, they're probably just ticking everything through without much thought, just my guess though... keep me posted on the progress of that MK12 v5 though as I'm itching to sort MPU's logbook out, I've also been in contact with a glass fibre company about making a repro panel but I've got a feeling if that can do it it's going to cost a pretty penny 😕

I can't for the life of me remember who was asking, but someone recently wanted to know the end float of a Model 70 crankshaft.  I tried it on both the Model 70s at the FOD last Saturday (and on another recently. ). All 3 were the same. Get hold of the crankshaft pulley with hands at quarter to 3, and pull, then push. First pull, I felt a slight movement, and heard a slight "click" as it stopped. Push away, and I felt another movement away. Total movement back to front on all 3 engines was the same, it was less than 1mm, but could just be detected by feel. If I pushed forward and pulled back, I usually heard that click when pulled back.  I thought at first i could see it, but it was the movement of the engine on its rubber mounts. The third one had not started for many years, but turned by hand much the same effort as both at FOD.  I wonder why mystery person was interested,  was it because it is something to check on a VW air cooled engine? If the VW end float is 1mm, there is a problem with shims or bearings, I daresay much the same applies to the Steyr Puch engine of the model 70.  

56 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

I can't for the life of me remember who was asking, but someone recently wanted to know the end float of a Model 70 crankshaft.  I tried it on both the Model 70s at the FOD last Saturday (and on another recently. ). All 3 were the same. Get hold of the crankshaft pulley with hands at quarter to 3, and pull, then push. First pull, I felt a slight movement, and heard a slight "click" as it stopped. Push away, and I felt another movement away. Total movement back to front on all 3 engines was the same, it was less than 1mm, but could just be detected by feel. If I pushed forward and pulled back, I usually heard that click when pulled back.  I thought at first i could see it, but it was the movement of the engine on its rubber mounts. The third one had not started for many years, but turned by hand much the same effort as both at FOD.  I wonder why mystery person was interested,  was it because it is something to check on a VW air cooled engine? If the VW end float is 1mm, there is a problem with shims or bearings, I daresay much the same applies to the Steyr Puch engine of the model 70.  

Jeez cant leave your car alone on here for 5 months minutes without someone trying to tug on its crankshaft! :mrgreen: 

That will be @Zelandeth because TPA's engine does the same, so he was asking @dollywobbler if he could check on his :) 

wear-limit for crankshaft float is specified to 0.60Mm for the Steyr puch engine so hopefully its within that!

so Page 200 and my 8000th post! :)

its amazing just how much Invalid vehicle history and information has been uncovered in these 200 pages, how far things have come, from so little known about them, to fairly detailed info on even some of the Prototypes, and everything in between! 

and just how many Model 70's (and a few Mk12's) etc I (and some with help of others) have helped ID'ed and or reunited with their V5s etc :) 

just off the top of my head

MPH759P, XWC468F, XEV88S, OPH868R, TVW4R, KPU147J, MPU382J, NPU156J, ONO454D, GTW614N GPF282N, KPC538P, VJN960S, UOI8850, NPD775L, NPM938R, TPE242S, SPE351R, UPB262M, and VJN953S, NOO738M

about 20 cars! plus a few more that are currently processing or are waiting further verification etc :) 

thank you to all who have come along for the ride those that have helped me with my many adventures in the world of all things invacar! and those that begrudgingly  just put up with it all! LOL

to celebrate the occasion, I have accumulated a "small" collection of photos etc that have not quite been worthy of their own post, but still worth posting, so I figured this would be a good time to post em all :) 

a Nice AC Acedes Model 57, Mk9~ street scene :)  

524569653_download(2).thumb.png.741620442f5429bc3298a8c17d9022b8.png

and close up :) 

144669806_download(1).png.e4a5cdbc1b5e0716f625e92af9fce426.png

Invacar Mk12D or Mk12E and a Locomotive of some kind, ill let the railshitters ID it!

74AD66B4-AD00-42F2-82F4-1BCE02A5300E.jpeg.71768a7c9bd8bf3eb7b4ba2e8d59dade.thumb.jpeg.6444fc03fd4e977b5424ab633fc0356d.jpeg

another AC scene Model 57 Mk10 or later or Model 64  Mk4 or later

50887880658_b31175bccb_o.thumb.jpg.6243f04f1c10a43d3613096a9a26b72f.jpg

a Pair! of Model 70's and a bus :) 

51100216555_0bb3760302_o.thumb.jpg.134dc3da74acabf8e4374d5b5968892b.jpg

a couple pictures of the other NZ Tippen Delta, showing that this one WAS painted red at some point rather then naturally red from new

119947343_3498879953506731_4684462600387443953_n.thumb.jpeg.4fe5e5fadc1980f65c9e7e914d199a30.jpeg

89977325_805528926603871_7855984402633850880_n.thumb.jpeg.94f0459c4007a549b4dde4f15058a14f.jpeg

a new picture of an old familiar :) 

72527794_2611419629085273_5440519899447296000_n.thumb.jpeg.1cbe8c5037700c7468085a7ad4771dd5.jpeg

a close relative to RPF19R :) 

16473724_10155127335362268_3646797192357697886_n.jpeg.432162449848572f80ab714dd529b387.jpeg

a celebratory harper for @barrett

117752044_10157922667777203_3805952376204467037_n.thumb.jpg.fd36066101f8ce1a60a023b2a3cfd08e.jpg

"Challanged" aren't we all in one way or another.., not a Model 70 I recognise so potitally a new survivour, just have to track it down! taken at the national motorcycle museum apparently... (tis a later Invacar Model 70 I can tell that much at least :) )

challenged.thumb.jpg.1b88fe6ea5614a86b1a17dc87ce8c22b.jpg

a neat little bit on the Larmar car :) 

82083025_10159112272652388_2404419844461035520_n.thumb.jpg.14119df30c563bf96a49fdda03b1f1e4.jpg

a new Argson for the list! this one was quite exciting as I had previously came across its registration record during my Argson chassis number research, but no one had any clue it still survived today until I found this picture :) 

quite surreal in that regard, how I cam across it with no idea that yes it does still exist! I have to wonder how many other cars I have found on the DVLA, do still survive somewhere!

28337276_10155062744025899_7448380023746124444_o.thumb.jpg.cfae839a58eeaa9b093ca788474d8746.jpg

another example of a Late white on black plated Model 70 :) (who's user seems to be having a good conversation with the chap in the Model 70 next door!)

Emx6tq-WEAEmND9.thumb.jpeg.4eb4a527afa95ef933a761015d9d44b7.jpeg

and an nice picture of an earlier Model 70, on a different kind of L plates :) 

ESs7FfKXsAMiSDP.thumb.jpeg.3b9f91e930fa14c115b68ce31a857d98.jpeg

another L plater :) 

118942851_10220801467319563_639430928453245230_n.jpeg.16c35f3ce56d6219f19ef09fe0df6074.jpeg

a really quite early picture going by the NVxxxx registration mark (1931-1937)

3402-invalid-carriage-w-lady.thumb.jpg.4f3d46aa14e2c027dc821e51cea398a5.jpg

his favourite nurse apparently!

11406509_10152969139332773_2738784409989380871_o.thumb.jpg.fbfde269180e54ff420e82b7bdb70fdb.jpg

celebrations no matter the weather, well for the chap in the All weather Tricycle anyhow :) 

159063067_10159492833132608_2334371792375793428_n.jpg.e8bc3c47d3e194966a71fff51f13a826.jpg

a beach side drag race? 

28061343_10211788329483868_8838357788294765234_o.thumb.jpg.767b737e2e4967d10c47634d618b932c.jpg

Model 70's huddling together for warmth in a Chilly train yard

1223705839_s-l1600(15).jpeg.556c2447939317a47d95d337bba0e473.jpeg

some nice Model 70 street scenes

EemcjOwXoAcRAsF.thumb.jpeg.8d7d7593e7048e67d902d08f29347ae7.jpeg

EnRVUXyXYAMj3h8.thumb.jpeg.8f8146ba2319da054bfc124a99fde0e6.jpeg

EoAyQDiXEAYeEAT.thumb.jpeg.e8a2a480f71fece7a481f02fe58c7fbc.jpeg

and finally Model 70's in production at AC in thames ditton! :) (would love to find a better example of this photo, from an early 1970's copy of Duckhams Quest 'The magazine for the enthusiast', apparently)

183300869_4266754413348394_2259112881491917748_n.thumb.jpeg.1a92d6db4e0b9769603157167aa3758d.jpeg

its really quite interesting to see, the Atlas/Thorn popular packs where of a fairly recent Model being introduced in the Late 1960s early 1970's which makes me wonder if AC completely revamped the production hall for Model 70 production

(it would explain the fairly large gap in date of first registration between the last of the AC Model 67's and the first of the Model 70's, March 1971 vs July 1971)

and finally I managed to find PDF copies of all of Conveyancer magazines that stuart sent out during his time running the ICR  :) 

quite an interesting look into how things where back then and lots of Juicy invalid vehicle info, although since these where published a lot of new info has come to light and changed things, especially with regards to the Model 70 etc so be careful in that regard!

Conveyancer 1_compressed.pdf

590910230_Conveyancer2_compressed.pdf

1664869207_Conveyancer3_compressed.pdf

801365115_Conveyancer4_compressed.pdf

981835693_Conveyancer5_compressed.pdf

1166425644_Conveyancer6_compressed.pdf

219414030_Conveyancer7_compressed.pdf

2107300412_Conveyancer8_compressed.pdf

2018764652_Conveyancer9_compressed.pdf

558623164_Conveyancer10_compressed.pdf

1762656046_Conveyancer11_compressed.pdf

469500451_Conveyancer12_compressed.pdf

1181424622_Conveyancer13_compressed.pdf

984762031_Conveyancer14_compressed.pdf

1427028623_Conveyancer15_compressed.pdf

20512232_Conveyancer16_compressed.pdf

767752889_Conveyancer17_compressed.pdf

Conveyancer 18_compressed.pdf

if any of these PDFs are broken please let me know! :) 

The bus could be a Leyland Atlantean. I wonder if anything survives of the factory Model 70s were built in. In 2009 I went to a bus rally with some workmates to the old factory at Leyland with LAG 188V, the first production National 2 new to East Yorkshire and now preserved. Sadly very little remained of that factory, and I suspect even less now. 

18 hours ago, R1152 said:

Class 35 "Hymek", LBF. 

(The locomotive.) 

Ah cool good to know :) would be fun to recreate some of these shots, @Mrs6C has the Mk12, and knowing how things go, probably not long before she has the locomotive as well! :)

4 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

The bus could be a Leyland Atlantean. I wonder if anything survives of the factory Model 70s were built in. In 2009 I went to a bus rally with some workmates to the old factory at Leyland with LAG 188V, the first production National 2 new to East Yorkshire and now preserved. Sadly very little remained of that factory, and I suspect even less now. 

Sadly I think most of the AC's buildings have long since been flattened 

but a good majority of the Invacar works survives, including the main Invacar MK12 and Later Model 70 production hall :)

the building @dollywobbler visited with TWC was where Production of Pre Mk12's machines took place but was much too small for large scale Mk12 and later Model 70 production so Invacar production relocated to a much larger building in the mid 1960s IIRC and said building is still around, but I dont know if any enthusiasts have been there in recent years

speaking of Model 70's

im curious @Zelandeth or @Mrs6C what do you think the suitability is of this Jerry can being adaptable for Model 70 fuel tank duties?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130840403957

image.thumb.png.202cfbeb4e91deb221fe5f5060a32962.png

@adam1db brought it to my attention, and it looks quite good, Stainless steel so it wont rust hopefully, screw on cap, and and it already has a little breather thingy :) 

and the handles are not part of the main liquid containing bit, so would not be hard to lop off to clear any mounting brackets, although I dont know if the kick up at the back would pose any problems?

(and it would still need a outlet adding on, not sure if thats made complicated by being stainless or not)

it does at least have a nice round front so should not be too hard to put a hole into it for the sender unit

IMG_20181001_170344.jpg

(picture shamelessly stolen from Zels thread https://autoshite.com/topic/29443-zels-motoring-adventuresjag-citroens-mercedes-ac-model-70-0405-self-repairing-faults/page/21/?tab=comments#comment-1622057 )

50 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

the suitability is of this Jerry can being adaptable for Model 70 fuel tank duties?

Pretty good, I'd say. The ready-fitted breather is a good feature.

The flicked up rear to the jerry can isn't an issue. It's the LHS handle (as you face it with filler to the front) that needs modification/removal as it gets in the way of the bracket on the bulkhead.

The idea was to try setting up a mild steel one first as a prototype before investing in a stainless steel version, but that particular product seems good value with the postage included.