LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

(does remind me is Dolly carburettor still at Zels or has that found its way back home?, because when we finally are able to get to the FoD we can finally install it and see if Dolly will idle and if she will idle see if she can move/drive! which is a very exciting prospect!)

It's at home, all nice and clean and and put back together  ( @Zelandeth - thank you! :-) ) as is the inlet manifold on which @Andyrew very kindly mended the broken bracket that holds ther air cleaner stay. It will be good to be able to put it all back together in due course.

1 minute ago, Mrs6C said:

It's at home, all nice and clean and and put back together  ( @Zelandeth - thank you! :-) ) as is the inlet manifold on which @Andyrew very kindly mended the broken bracket that holds ther air cleaner stay. It will be good to be able to put it all back together in due course.

Ah awesome :)

I knew Zel had cleaned it up and unblocked the blocked idle jet (and @Andyrew had welded the broken bracket back together)

but I was not sure if the carb had found its way back home or not :) 

getting REV's carb cleaned the same is on the list, but thankfully is not a necessity as she does run and drive, but im sure after 43 years it probably would not be a bad idea to have it done!

it also reminds me @dollywobbler when you ordered bits from haflinger technik did they do premade kits like a service kit or such, or did you have to order each bit/gasket individually? just thinking ahead slightly

1 minute ago, Jikovron said:

Weber revision numbers just denote updates to the carb itself, where as jetting is not serial number defined as the same 32DIR(3) for instance can have a multitude of jet calibrations depending on whether catalyst equipped or not, compression ratio,unleaded ignition profile etc.

ah interesting! it means the Model 70 has the latest version of the Webber 32ICS then? again I wonder what the changes where :) 

I wonder what TWC's carb is? given she is an early Model 70  I wonder if she has a 32ICS10 or a 32ICS3 as mentioned in the workshop manual? (also in the same vein I wonder what her original engines engine number is too)

got an email from the DVSA today informing me my new test date is on the 29th of June,which fits in with what they said about driving tests being cancelled for 3 months

glad to know what my new date is at least! in someways im hoping this whole virus thing/lockdown comes to a safe end a little while before my new test date, because as I mentioned before

I really do want to go for a drive with another shitter or my mum or some experienced other driver, just to get an external review of my driving and see if there's anything I missed or tips I should know about etc (and also because id finally get to drive some other vehicle! :) )

(I do wonder about how I have had so many lessons i have had, and I do wonder if its because I aint a good learner or if maybe I would do better with a different instructor?, im reluctant to say my instructor is bad, he is a good chap, but I do wonder if that makes sense...)

also got a picture of a Model 70 I did not have a picture of until now :) not the best photo but im happy with whatever I can get!, im pretty sure this one is MEV419P but im just waiting to verify that before adding the picture to the list on page 24

image.thumb.png.cd4dd880a160ebb723834cd3163d67d2.png

Don't get too attached to that date, it could well wind up getting pushed back further depending on how things go.  Events in my diary in August have already been cancelled by the organisers and it's entirely possible this will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Hopefully it will be sorted by then, but for now all you can do is twiddle your thumbs and wait really.

Just sorry I can't offer any driving practice really at the moment (lockdown aside obviously!) because of the joys of insurance meaning I can't get short term cover for you on any of my vehicles.

Yeah, just a waiting game at this point as you say

53 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Just sorry I can't offer any driving practice really at the moment (lockdown aside obviously!) because of the joys of insurance meaning I can't get short term cover for you on any of my vehicles.

well, just quickly using the insurance company we used for the Lada, I see they will at least entertain the idea of insuring the Xantia in that it will show up on their system and gives me the option to  fill in the rest of the boxes and proceed with the quote 

the Van doesn't show up and is not in the drop down list of cars, and the Jag goes "we found it but we cant insure it" unsurprisingly LOL

so potentially the Xantia might be an option? however I did not go very far with the quote so who knows maybe when you fill it all out thats when they tell you nope! (although of all your vehicles, beside the Model 70! I really want to have a go in the van the most :) that and the C5) 

otherwise if all else fails, @Cavcraft what's your daily hire rate for the Lada? :mrgreen:

(also as a side note, on said temp insurance site, a 2CV will show up and does not get automatically rejected, which is good, because id love to have a go in a 2CV at some point!)

https://www.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/thundersley-invacar-model-70/

yay found the story of the foot operated Model 70 again :)

image.png.5d2f9e62a8cc36028e01d92dcfde8af0.png

also funnily enough the garage name is the same one on TJN352R's number plate :) who I think are still going https://www.nevesgarage.co.uk/

image.thumb.png.c81fcdcace8da2e1b5ebd507e705bcc6.png

(wonder if anyone there is from the Model 70 days still?)

zels post in the lazy spotters thread  "reminded me" im still waiting for REV's V5, and thats its been almost 4 weeks since I did the tax class change at the post office, and still nothing, (and online is still showing the issue date of the old V5) im guessing it may have been caught up in the whole CV thing so ill be nice and give em a couple more weeks before I start making enquiries!) 

however while checking what the exact time scales where, I noticed it says the DVLA will send you a confirmation within 10 days

image.thumb.png.8673c71cef739c0d40e08de3a4a2c49b.png

however I never/still not got any confirmation, but im not sure I recall if anyone else did? @Mrs6C and @egg I know you both changed vehicles to the historic vehicle tax class so it would be interesting to know if you got any sort of confirmation before the V5 arrived or not?

I'm currently battling to change one of my fleet from PLG to Historic Vehicle. Used to be easy as I had a main Post Office down the road, but the corner store doesn't have a clue! :(

DVLA are their usual "refer to such and such a page" selves. Which bought up a great page entitled something like "taxing your vehicle,", which went on to talk about how you could get a passport for your children! :(

12 minutes ago, keef said:

I'm currently battling to change one of my fleet from PLG to Historic Vehicle. Used to be easy as I had a main Post Office down the road, but the corner store doesn't have a clue! :(

best advice I can say is go to another post office!

although all you need is the V5 and fill out a V112, then take those 2 to the post office and just tell them you want to change the tax class to historic vehicle, show them the DVLA page on your phone if you must

but im pretty sure their computer tells them whats what, its not very complicated! , the guy will take the documents off you stamp something on the V5 then send it off to the DVLA from what I can tell

although not all post offices deal with vehicle taxation matters, might be that your corner store one does not deal with those matters https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-finder 

click on the choose a service drop down menu then vehicle tax, then give it your postcode etc :) 

otherwise you could try V62ing it to yourself, but put historic vehicle as the taxation class?

not 100% sure if that would work mind, its one of the things I was hoping to test with RPE405E

(a DVLA guy said to someone enquiring about V62ing for 4 Model 70's, was told he could put historic vehicle directly on the V62, never did get those chassis numbers from that guy, I must ask him again at some point!)

BTW did you see the FOI stuff? :) 

I know how it is meant to be done, but like I say the corner store doesn't have a clue. I actually had to call the police out as the guy started waving a baseball bat at me!

The PO in question is on the vehicle tax list, but like I say that just goes on to talk about kiddies passports, so maybe it is a bit muddled up?

No, not seen any more on FoI request, although I did submit an internal enquiry based on the fact you had an answer. That completely thew them! LOL

19 minutes ago, keef said:

No, not seen any more on FoI request, although I did submit an internal enquiry based on the fact you had an answer. That completely thew them! LOL

ahh thats amusing!

yeah was just wondering if you had seen my post/the fact that I did manage to get a response from them, and also my theory on what not taxed for on road use actually means :) 

looks like you have so thats good!

I have been wondering I should try and ask them to confirm my theory or not, or if I should just thank them and leave it at that...

also complicated by the whole CV situation, I don't want to sap away at what are probably stretched resources now!

maybe ill just leave it and respond in a few months time once the world is back up and running LOL

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

maybe ill just leave it and respond in a few months time once the world is back up and running LOL

I assume they have everyone working from home, so there is a chance things are actually smother running now. :)

They will only work at their own pace anyway, so doesn't matter when you follow it up.

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors list on page 24 :)
3 hours ago, keef said:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=853019561861080&id=100014591321546

heres a cleaned up desktop site link for those on a desktop :)

(and heres the link inside the FB post http://www.365daysofmotoring.com/showonthisday/article/557 )

that post is amusing, while the 31st of March was the supposed deadline, about 33 Model 70 soldiered on in service past the date due to problems adapting normal cars that were not designed for disabilities to these Model 70 users

the last of these DHSS Model 70's was TJN352R which remained in service until the 14th of october 2004! (which thankfully survives although I dont think the museum that has it knows of its significance as being the last Model 70 in government service sadly)

and as is well known here they where never banned and amusingly once again the person on making that post used a picture of a private Model 70 the government had no control over LOL

I appreciate the heads up tho :) 

got confirmation that the Model 70 pictured here is MEV419P so I have updated MEVs entry in the survivors list with it :) 

image.thumb.png.cd4dd880a160ebb723834cd3163d67d2.png

also took the opportunity to update Dolly's entry to highlight her unusual dash mounted choke/heater controls that I have not seen in any other Model 70 :) 

also found this! https://www.theminirestorationcompany.co.uk/projects/marco-karen-s-project

looks like any other Mini these days right?

image.thumb.png.0095b851438a3f3c4da68696e50c3fa8.png

but check this out!, thats right its a DHSS supplied mini :) contrary to popular belief the invalid vehicle service did supply adapted normal cars to certain people depending on the situation especially to married couples, at first Morris minors then Minis

image.thumb.png.706d73024d63f4138c662a0db18a06bc.png

I waited till stuart was available to confirm that what I was looking at was indeed a DHSS mini and to get some extra info :) (hence only posting it now, but I came across it while digging up a picture of DYO833C)

sadly its been stripped of all its DHSS features bar the the info plaque, which as it says, Reselco was the primary provider of hand controls for normal cars to the DHSS

I had known of the government Minors and Minis (Dennis and Marion Webb had a government Minor for a while for example)

but had never seen one otherwise in detail, and I had wondered if they like the DHSS's Invalid vehicles if they had little government property and contract plaques, looks like indeed they did :) 

its a shame its been stripped of all its unique features otherwise would be neat to see how it would of been setup

also stuart told me that when he got MVW446P about 20 years ago, he did notice the starter dog and did try and hand start it using an old hillman husky starting handle he had (still has even LOL) but sadly he says he was unable to hand start his Model 70 due to the gearing of things supposedly not allowing enough engine rotation per swing of the starting handle,

I still want to find a suitable starting handle and try myself/see another shitter try and hand start a Model 70 (he said the Husky starting handle was not a perfect fit so perhaps that was causing issues too?) 

also finally got a chance to discuss this picture with stuart, have posted it here wondering what the brown invalid vehicle is

image.thumb.png.2933de7a209a543e28912fa92bc66388.png

and now we are both wondering! my best guess currently is a Tippen Delta, but it would be interesting to see if anyone here has any other ideas! @busmansholiday ya seemed to know a bit about the match you wouldn't happen to know if there are other photos/video of the same match? hopefully one without a pesky footballer standing in the way of the lineup of carriages? :mrgreen:

On 5/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, busmansholiday said:

That's Maine Road Manchester, the old home of City (v Stoke looking at that).

I knew that before clicking on the pic and going "search Google for this image".

Try it, I notice amongst the stock images form Alamy that were similar were other grounds with Invacars, including a bit of video. Something to do on a Sunday.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, LightBulbFun said:

TWC's MOT is also expiring soon, so it will be interesting to see if it gets extended or not given she is MOT exempt

looks like TWC's MOT has indeed been extended :)  (DVLA page is still saying 4th of april but that always lags behind)

516666068_Screenshot2020-04-02at22_28_10.thumb.png.b3c4bfa1b16f7f554a00ac1c7aa5618c.png

cc @dollywobbler

35 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Just watched TV programme on driving tests, did you see it Des? Intrigued that's there's a school specifically catering for disabled. Standards were very poor, IMHO

ah I dont think so, I dont watch TV these days

but yeah, as my mum says, theres knowing how to pass a test and then there's knowing how to drive, and says sadly most people only know/can do the former!

(I must have the only 3 letter name no one knows how to spell correctly :mrgreen: )

25 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

wonder what the story behind this is! looks a bit too well put together to be a random/chance recording, perhaps the user of KPC532P was known for stopping for pigeons so someone setup a camera to record it? :)

continuing to over analyze it, I think perhaps the second part of the video may have actually been a chance recording

but with the first part recorded later to say "this is a pigeon" cuz ya know no ones ever seen one of those before! LOL

it just has me somewhat perplexed LOL just that little random/unexpected especially for 1991, where someone would have had to have been actively recording on a proper video camera

rather then today where someone could quickly record something with a smartphone etc

managed to dig up some more neat photos :) 

first is this Mk12 pic, notable for its unusual registration mark, as mentioned in previous posts the 2 essex registration marks OO and WC where only introduced/added in the 1960s

and rather then say starting from 3 digits 3 letters which is where all of Essex's other marks where at (xxxAEV for example) or such Essex issue its new marks in all previous formats, OOxxxx then swapping (but curious skipping xxxxOO) before doing AOOxxx then finally xxxAOO etc 

but as this was the 1960's I had wondered if any Mk12's had been given these normally 1900s-1930's format registration marks and it is neat to finally see one :) 

(I just have to find a picture of a reverse 4 digit 2 letter plated Mk12 now!)

https://flic.kr/p/dY2DqC

8510326000_da4e0956f5_o.jpg.9d1396a37141dcf93497e80682c3fd82.jpg

next up is this neat picture of an AC Acedes Mk15 Model 67, notable because I had found this Model 67 CPL351H on the DVLA before I ever knew there was a picture of it on the internet! during my Model 67 research period where I went through all the Model 67 chassis numbers to find as many blocks as I could :) so its neat to see a picture of it exists!

https://flic.kr/p/6u8cZv

3600051851_50f72e82c6_o.thumb.jpg.4f52141e24c7dfaf16a4be34275e94a0.jpg

next is a neat picture of a steam loco hauling an AC Model 64 :) 

https://flic.kr/p/ee5QxE

8680696188_194ec0e3a3_4k.thumb.jpg.9c0e29ee231ce729d38df828b105da70.jpg

and finally picture of an abandoned looking Model 70, they mention Sussex I wonder if its one of the field find cars?

or if its not, I wonder if its still there or if its been saved? :) would be neat to save if its still there, or at least get its details!

does anyone recognise the location?

https://flic.kr/p/6QZSP7

3836267964_02e70dc0d4_3k.thumb.jpg.7dbabaa2f7eb9798de3657fb572352ac.jpg