LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

Unfortunately, Things are developing rapidly, alot may change in the next few days. I've a few friends who I've had plans with but I've cancelled those plans as either  they are at risk themselves or have loved ones who are at risk and it isn't worth chancing it over something minor in the grand scheme of things. 

whilst I'm not at risk myself should I get it , i work with the general public and my better half works in a hospital so we come into contact with alot of people ,(few confirmed local cases, one concerningly close) so the chance of getting it is increasing by the minute. 

16 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Unfortunately, Things are developing rapidly, alot may change in the next few days. I've a few friends who I've had plans with but I've cancelled those plans as either  they are at risk themselves or have loved ones who are at risk and it isn't worth chancing it over something minor in the grand scheme of things. 

whilst I'm not at risk myself should I get it , i work with the general public and my better half works in a hospital so we come into contact with alot of people ,(few confirmed local cases, one concerningly close) so the chance of getting it is increasing by the minute. 

Yeah, I think ill call the insurance people in the next day or 2, and at least ask them what my options are or how it would go exactly if I was to axe it

(Im really hoping if I do have to axe it, that they can "save" the quote so to speak as I dont want to have to go through all of it again when I come to re-insure!)

in other news had another lesson today, those are still on going at least!

I think it went well :) , but my instructor says it could have gone better, I think as the test date draws near he is stepping up his standards so to speak

next lesson is on Thursday instead of Friday :) (then its back to my normal tuesdays and fridays I think)

in better news, my toolset arrived :) in rather amusing circumstances 

I was checking the tracking when I saw this 

image.png.ec565e8ddc84fc16189f26a553fbf51e.png

complained to some friends about it in an online group chat im part of, but then low and behold the bell rings, and guess who it is the DHL man with my tool set! :) 

(for those wondering no special procedure or or anything just handed it to me, although he didn't ask for a signature or such but im not sure if one was required in the first place or not!)

either way, im quite happy with it! its a bit heavier than I was expecting but thats sort of to be expected with me and my condition! otherwise I think it should serve me well for doing odd jobs on REV when Im finally able to  bring her home :) 

image.thumb.png.c412f88de413bf9cc31ce87c61b6d56e.png

now I have the sudden urge to go and spanner something!, (that sounds like a euphemism if I ever heard one LOL)

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! & general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2.5: getting lessons and a licence! 38th lesson had. insurance got! thoughts on a Model 70 tinkering day at the FoD on the 4/5th april?

Sadly im going to have to call the FoD gathering off

not what I wanted but in light of the current situation its what's necessary sadly

I think I will however keep REV insured, its less faff that way, and in the meantime I can build up my "clean driving" record and NCB (and it also means I don't have to worry about SORNIng her again etc and she will also be ready to go immediately from that perspective when I/we are able to finally get her on the road :) )

I appreciate/thank those that did initially volunteer for the day, and hopefully some other time we can all get together and drink tea and fix invacars :) 

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! & general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2.5: getting lessons and a licence! 38th lesson had. insurance got! calling off the FoD gathering for now
3 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Yes I hope we can have an Invacar fixing day one day. Talking of Invacars @LightBulbFun what's their top speed? Just wondered after seeing @dollywobblers video on getting his fleet out of hibernation. 

sadly I dont know! im still waiting for someone to find verify it for me! (or find out myself at some point in time!)

currently the maximum speed iv seen out of a Model 70 from a reputable source is 78Mph showing on the speedo and I was told they had to slow down for other reasons not because of a lack of power so potentially could of gone faster!

otherwise 82Mph is the commonly thrown around figure for the Model 70 on the internet, some people say 85Mph is the top speed, and I know of a couple peopling say they got 90 out of theirs, or got undertaken by an Invacar while they where doing 90 in their own car LOL

but its the internet so who knows!

officially the DHSS Workshop manual states a top speed of 60Mph but we know thats BS LOL, I mean I even did some maths and showed that at 60Mph a Model 70 isn't even developing peak horsepower yet, that happens at 67Mph IIRC

image.png.3bacb74e5b3036ca5c4fe4d2658daa4d.png

(the version of the Steyr puch engine fitted to the Model 70 makes peak torque at 3500RPM and peak horse power at 5000RPM)

on a similar note it would be interesting to know how accurate the speedo is on TPA, REV, Dolly etc are

because I know @dollywobbler said TWC's speedo compared to GPS was actually pretty bang on, however TPA REV and Dolly etc are all on 10 inch wheels where as TWC is still on 12 inch wheels/tyres

its interesting to note however even once they moved to 10 inch wheels officially (TPA would have been a 12 inch car, however REV and Dolly are both 10 inch cars) and then again introduced the large speedometer, the speedometers turns per minute stayed the same at 1504

I belive the 10 and 12 inch wheels/tyres have a similar overall diameter but I do think the 10 inch wheels are little smaller (certially TPA sits lower then TWC does)

TPA's speedo 

image.thumb.png.e7844b3f71f1757bb0a3d7218b1f9e18.png

and REV's speedo 

IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.ba7c8470106c4782d102355888c40706.JPG

@busmansholiday smiths MPH is far too easy here, I wanna see someone do "made in uk" MPH :mrgreen:

30 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Thanks LBF. Was there a reason they had different wheel sizes? 

there's no "official" stated reason

but most of us suspect it was to improve handling and ride quality 

the 10 inch tyres not only lower the center of gravity, but are also wider so provide more grip, and have more sidewall so would be a bit more compliant 

(12 inch cars are 125R12 where as 10 inch cars are 145R10)

and certainly this seems to be the case when TWC and TPA are compared to each other (both Being Model 70 Mark A's but TWC is on 12 inch wheels/tyres where as TPA is on 10 inch wheels/tyres)

it is worth noting that Model 70  Prototype 5 is pictured on 10 inch wheels so I wonder if AC planned for 10 inch wheels from the get go, but where initially forced to use 12 inch wheels my the DHSS, until they finally relented in 1975 and allowed AC/Invacar to switch to 10 inch wheels? (10 inch wheels being fitted from GPL351N/JAR185N onwards for those wondering)

the 12 inch wheels used on the Model 70 Mark A and early Mark B's, where the same Dunlop LP 591 wheels as shared with almost every other full bodied invalid vehicle at the time, so I can see the DHSS wanting to stick with them for reasons of parts and existing stock etc)

(the Tippen delta somehow remaining on 16 inch pre 1957 standard specification wheels until the mid 1960s! although at least by then they had switched to steel wheels from wire wheels at least!)

Top speed is something that will have to be tested at some point - I have had an indicated 70mph on the clock a couple of times though and it felt like with more to give.  There seems to be a lot of variation from car to car...

The question that definitely needs to be answered is what the 1/4 mile time is...Yes, we will answer that one day, especially as I live less than half an hour from Santa Pod.  Yes there will be video.  If I wasn't worried about holding everyone else up and annoying people I'd totally borrow a driver and race it against the van.  I reckon TPA will win by quite a margin.

35 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Top speed is something that will have to be tested at some point - I have had an indicated 70mph on the clock a couple of times though and it felt like with more to give.  There seems to be a lot of variation from car to car...

The question that definitely needs to be answered is what the 1/4 mile time is...Yes, we will answer that one day, especially as I live less than half an hour from Santa Pod.  Yes there will be video.  If I wasn't worried about holding everyone else up and annoying people I'd totally borrow a driver and race it against the van.  I reckon TPA will win by quite a margin.

well ya say variation from car to car, but there's only about 5 Model 70's  on the road sadly and we only have TWC to compare to

so its sadly not a very large sample size sadly, it will be interesting to see how things compare when REV and Dolly hit the road :) 

and yeah very much look forward to that! I don't think you would have to worry about holding everyone else up, they would be too bemused/amused by the spectacle unfolding in front of them :mrgreen:

speaking of going fast, reminds me I had a very interesting "spot" while driving along the A12 today, some sort of Forward control military style vehicle on army plates went past me at quite the rates of nots making quite the noise

initially I thought it was a haflinger but then realised it was not, but it was smaller than a Pinzgauer i think, so I wonder what it was?

a Landy 101FC came to mind but does the army still run those? it was that sort of "style"

either way its not everyday you come across an Army vehicle bombing along in Central London!

12 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I want a Hayabusa engine to put in LBF's ride when he's not looking, that might take his breath away.... but only for a while ?

surely something like a Harley V twin or BMW Flat twin would be much more appropriate to replace the Model 70's Steyr puch engine if you must?

a Hayabusa would be too peeky and make all the wrong noises

plus the steyr puch engine in a Model 70 is more than capable of making lots of power, from a stock perspective, the Model 70 has a Detuned 493cc engine making 20 horse power, but then  there's the 41 horsepower 650TRII engine and then from there people have got even more power with larger barrels and super chargers and what have ya! and while i was talking to a Steyr puch engine guy from austria, he was telling me about the twin turbo system he was developing!

besides I can tell you a fun story (from the spectators POV anyway! probably not very fun for the poor lady!) of a lady who had just got her shiny new Model 70 and jumped in it not realising its not like her old Villiers machine

so she went wide open throttle right from the get go and shot off out of control before taking out a poor innocent milk float 

(something im realising I hope we dont end up re-enacting at the FoD!)

(dragging this over here so the people at the other thread don't get even more upset!)

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

so she went wide open throttle right from the get go and shot off out of control before taking out a poor innocent milk float 

(something im realising I hope we dont end up re-enacting at the FoD!)

Careful! You'll give poor old Molly the milk-shakes! :-)

20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

speaking of going fast, reminds me I had a very interesting "spot" while driving along the A12 today, some sort of Forward control military style vehicle on army plates went past me at quite the rates of nots making quite the noise

Virus related? Assembling the troops...?

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Virus related? Assembling the troops...?

Yeah I did wonder if it was related or not! twas a bit ominous LOL 

speaking of things you dont expect to see in central London, one that I saw quite a few lessons back was a tractor! proper harry's garage style modern farm tractor, just driving right across a busy central london intersection

have to wonder what that one was up to!

had my 39th lesson today, again I thought it went well, but my instructor thinks it could have gone better, ah well ill keep trying!

I think one of my issues is im still doubting/not having confidence in myself, I mean its obviously much better then when I first started driving, but I still come a cropper sometimes, say judging if its safe to overtake or if  its safe pull into a gap at a junction/roundabout without causing anyone to have to slow down or otherwise take action

and my instructor complains im taking too long or going to slowly etc!

I think a lot of it is not helped but just how situational something can be, driving in London theres lots going on around you and its never going to be the same cars/drivers on the road around you, it will always be someone different every time doing their own thing etc 

(its also one of the reasons I wish I could go for a drive with someone else as an external review of how my driving is, maybe iv got nothing to worry about and im just not matching my instructors own particular set of standards or way of driving?)

otherwise roads where a little quieter then normal, but still plenty of people driving about, my instructor said that the DVSA postponed/cancelled one of his pupils driving test, but I have not had anything on my end regarding my test for the 31st

(for those wondering wanstead is where ill be taking my driving test/the area iv been driving around/to)

next lesson is on tuesday :) 

will I get my licence before the world shuts down! place your bets now! LOL

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! & general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2.5: getting lessons and a licence! 39th lesson had. insurance got! calling off the FoD gathering for now
1 hour ago, Dannyk said:

Screenshot_2020-03-20-18-19-52.png

ahh cool, thats one Iv been wanting to ID and track down from almost the get go of this thread :) 

sadly its on false plates, Stuart Thinks its JPA347N he said he saw a chassis number on one of the auction sites or such, but iv not been able to track anything down regarding that sadly

some people think its a private car, but me and stuart are pretty certain its "just" a regular DHSS car, on false plates, JCB-N does not look to have been issued by the DVLC, and the car even has a DHSS reserve sticker on the windscreen LOL (also the front plate still has that protective blue film on them so I think they where recently fitted at the time)

image.thumb.png.adad014ec6f6e9efa3e3458e7e0242d4.png

I know it sold at auction but who it ended up with etc I don't know sadly, apparently it has been in the US for many years now and was formerly with a Big AC collector https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf14/hershey/lots/r184-1975-ac-invacar/181997

its worth noting that it has Britax rear lights fitted, indicating it was in service until the 1990s or later (unless of course those rear lights where fitted by someone after it left service, but you would have to know these vehicles to know what lights to fit!)

(and as a side note it looks like someone has the wing mirror twisted upside down!)

Welp this aint good, had a feeling something like might happen sadly

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-driving-tests-and-theory-tests

will have to show it to my instructor and discuss what to do, assuming he himself wants to/is happy to continue giving lessons then I may drop down to just 1 a week, because of money concerns etc

(esp if the test date ends up getting punted months down the line)

iv not had any emails or such regarding my test on the 31st, but im still more then 2 weeks away atm its still showing as booked on the online thingy but ill keep an eye on it 

image.png.ba869c2410d280d65d01fda6c6ae7659.png

14 minutes ago, Dannyk said:

Someone on the comments mentioned this, you've probably already heard of the place but I struggle to keep up

I knew you'd already know of that one but its the first time I've been on Facebook for a while (as I'm bored of bogroll moaning) and this was the first thing on there.

Screenshot_2020-03-20-19-14-09.png

no i dont think iv heard of that place :)  another one to look into/for the AR garage list (well theres no list currently but I should put something together at some point!)

ah cool :) I always appreciate it when someone shares some invalid vehicle info/pictures even if it stuff I know about already, its nice to know that people are still on the look out for me so to speak :) 

and its always interesting to see how certain invalid vehicles/specific pictures do the rounds on the internet like they do

im personally waiting for someone to share a picture of REV and ask me "do you have this one one the list?" :mrgreen:

34 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

iv not had any emails or such regarding my test on the 31st, but im still more then 2 weeks away atm its still showing as booked on the online thingy but ill keep an eye on it 

clearly someone from the DVLA must be reading this thread LOL

just got this via email...

1029201434_Screenshot2020-03-20at19_47_42.png.784e2221937a98b27222a4f07776ed6d.png

ah well...

(assuming lessons don't also get canceled, at least it will give me some more time to get more hours in!)

I did wonder what would happen with regard to driving tests. You may find that your instructor decides to take a bit of a break as well, but if so, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it all again when your next lesson comes around.

While picking up on Dannyk's mention of the Tankerton, Whitstable garage that serviced Invacars. I found this:
https://www.friarsmotorcompany.co.uk/brief-history-wheelchair-mobility-car/

Have you seen that webpage before? There are a couple of neat Youtube videos on it!

A casual observer of my MK12 ,when I was actually working on it, talked about the line up of Invacars outside the garage in Tankerton, a while back. I can't really remember it to be fair, but it probably would still have been there in my youth.

Although given this stretch of North Kent Coast is pretty popular with older folk, I imagine it would have been an area of higher Invalid car demand.

If you Street map 107a Tankerton Road - there was a garage there (especially if you go back to 2009)

Kent Mobility  ,now at  Upper Haysden ,  Tonbridge  , used to be Invacar service centre. They were based in the town,  castle street, ,or market street,.  years ago.. Same guy owns the business.. He scrapped them too !? I did go to see him about an exhaust for Ian, but no spares left !!? If he's not busy  he's a good chat....

Sorry about your lessons you must be gutted?

22 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

I did wonder what would happen with regard to driving tests. You may find that your instructor decides to take a bit of a break as well, but if so, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it all again when your next lesson comes around.

Yeah, I think based on conversation I had with my instructor so far I think he will keep working for as long as he can as well its his job! he needs the moneys etc (I imagine this is a predicament a lot of people are in sadly!)

but I will make sure to discuss it further with him on tuesday when my next lesson is

I will say it is all a bit of a kick in the balls for me, In that, iv more or less been housebound for many years now sadly, so this whole CV thing doesn't really change my day to day living/life situation 

but it is frustrating that of all the times it had to happen it happens when things were finally looking up for me in regards to finally getting mobile etc, only for most of those to be quickly shot down...

ah well dont mind me just grumpy about it all! *grumble* (I understand why its had to be done etc, im not disagreeing with it, im just grumpy about it LOL)

16 minutes ago, egg said:

A casual observer of my MK12 ,when I was actually working on it, talked about the line up of Invacars outside the garage in Tankerton, a while back. I can't really remember it to be fair, but it probably would still have been there in my youth.

Although given this stretch of North Kent Coast is pretty popular with older folk, I imagine it would have been a area of higher Invalid car demand.

well with the world  shutting down, if you find yourself with nothing to do, maybe you could see if you can get XWC started or do some more general work on her, would be neat to see! :) 

or use it as an opportunity to homeschool your daughter! "today's lesson, how to rebuild a Villiers 11E!" :mrgreen:

10 minutes ago, Christine said:

Kent Mobility  ,now at  Upper Haysden ,  Tonbridge  , used to be Invacar service centre. They were based in the town,  castle street, ,or market street,.  years ago.. Same guy owns the business.. He scrapped them too !? I did go to see him about an exhaust for Ian, but no spares left !!?

ah cool, good to have some more details I remember ya talking about them in general back in DWs thread as you mention :)

would be fun to turn up to those places in REV unannounced and probably end up properly confusing the owners probably!

28 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

While picking up on Dannyk's mention of the Tankerton, Whitstable garage that serviced Invacars. I found this:
https://www.friarsmotorcompany.co.uk/brief-history-wheelchair-mobility-car/

Have you seen that webpage before? There are a couple of neat Youtube videos on it!

ah cool! I THINK iv seen that website before/page, but its hard to say may have been a couple years ago now, I know iv seen pretty much all the content that's inside it if that makes sense :) 

a lot of it is from the BBC! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-ouch-23061676

still cool to see tho :) (even if sadly a lot of information in those web pages are wrong/false!)