LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

happened to be going through the photos folder to dig up a photo for a facebook comment

and realised I don't think I ever posted this photo before, and also realised its been exactly 6 months since I last saw REV so I figured it would be fitting to finally post it now :) 

IMG_0651.thumb.JPG.69a7b280cfb9d6cc98f243caff3f93a3.JPG

(I think I didn't post it at the time as I was annoyed at how it was such a nice photo/shot but I got my finger in the shot LOL)

19 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Does REVs roof and lower windscreen line look at a different angle to the front bumper ?

not quite sure I follow im afraid?

are you referring to how the the roof line looks a bit wonky in reference to the top of the windscreen rubber?

if so I think that's just down to perished seals and how the photo was taken

18 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

not quite sure I follow im afraid?

are you referring to how the the roof line looks a bit wonky in reference to the top of the windscreen rubber?

if so I think that's just down to perished seals and how the photo was taken

Even the top of the screen rubber looks to follow the skew-whiff roof angle.

It could just be the pic.

Got any others? (LOL)

10 minutes ago, Out Run said:

Of REV, yeah - guess the irony was missed. I know you have all the pics. No more head on, of REV?

I did actually look for one but this is the only directly head on picture I have of REV (and even then its still at an angle looking down slightly)

IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.5f37e8870eb33399e1468c88242c7e60.JPG

I have others but there all of her next to another car etc

like so :) (I really doubt anything is out of true, keep in mind the Model 70 body is 3 different sections so if one was out of shape it wouldn't fit together!)

IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.7dbb9e27707eb3976b73ebc85ced4f22.JPG

36 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I did actually look for one but this is the only directly head on picture I have of REV (and even then its still at an angle looking down slightly)

IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.5f37e8870eb33399e1468c88242c7e60.JPG

I have others but there all of her next to another car etc

like so :) (I really doubt anything is out of true, keep in mind the Model 70 body is 3 different sections so if one was out of shape it wouldn't fit together!)

IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.7dbb9e27707eb3976b73ebc85ced4f22.JPG

That looks well out in the second pic, mate.

Re the 3 bodywork sections; that would explain it more so than if it was a spot welded steel shell or the like, where every panel is permanently joined to one another. Maybe the roof is on, cock-eyed? Something certainly seems to be amiss!

Did you once say it was next to a fire? I doubt it’s melted, but who knows, maybe it has drooped some?

17 minutes ago, Out Run said:

That looks well out in the second pic, mate.

Re the 3 bodywork sections; that would explain it more so than if it was a spot welded steel shell or the like, where every panel is permanently joined to one another. Maybe the roof is on, cock-eyed? Something certainly seems to be amiss!

Did you once say it was next to a fire? I doubt it’s melted, but who knows, maybe it has drooped some?

REV no, but Dolly on the left was and apart from one side being a bit crispy she is fine :) 

(I was wondering if thats why REV's fire extinguisher is missing, was it grabbed in a hurry to put out the shed fire or save dolly? that would be poetic!)

like I said im pretty sure anything wonky looking is either an optical illusion or because of perished seals drooping etc etc

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

REV no, but Dolly on the left was and apart from one side being a bit crispy she is fine :) 

(I was wondering if thats why REV's fire extinguisher is missing, was it grabbed in a hurry to put out the shed fire or save dolly? that would be poetic!)

like I said im pretty sure anything wonky looking is either an optical illusion or because of perished seals drooping etc etc

I hope for your sake, that is the case. Add it to the list of jobs for your FoD minions to tackle. :-)

18 minutes ago, Out Run said:

I hope for your sake, that is the case. Add it to the list of jobs for your FoD minions to tackle. :-)

FoD minions? 

im just asking for volunteers thats all!, the original plan was just to during a normal FoD gathering/tinkering weekend, ask a couple shitters if they could help with REV :) (probably while @catsinthewelder's kids hijack the JCB and terrorise everyone else! :mrgreen: ) 

besides its a not roadworthiness issue, so im not worried about it in that regard, the FoD plan is just to get her road worthy and capable of leaving the FoD :) 

so cosmetics im not really thinking about at this point in time and I have more "pressing" bodywork issues like the crack down the front, (im told from when a person related to the previous owner drove it into a tree, it was repaired, but then someone tried to pick her up from there and it split again!)

33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

FoD minions? 

im just asking for volunteers thats all!, the original plan was just to during a normal FoD gathering/tinkering weekend, ask a couple shitters if they could help with REV :) (probably while @catsinthewelder's kids hijack the JCB and terrorise everyone else! :mrgreen: ) 

besides its a not roadworthiness issue, so im not worried about it in that regard, the FoD plan is just to get her road worthy and capable of leaving the FoD :) 

so cosmetics im not really thinking about at this point in time and I have more "pressing" bodywork issues like the crack down the front, (im told from when a person related to the previous owner drove it into a tree, it was repaired, but then someone tried to pick her up from there and it split again!)

Aye, this is a Model 70, isn’t it? I could imagine them pottering around in one. :-)

525EDEB2-21B5-4841-A6C2-520D5CF693AA.gif

twas watching @Twin-Cam's excellent recent upload on the 2CV 

and with his (and @dollywobbler's same comments on his GSA, and 2CV in the past) comments about the grill muff and it being needed bellow 10c

made me realise the Model 70 (or any other invalid vehicle) never had such a requirement, I wonder if thats because being rear engined, they obviously had less forced air cooling, so I guess less requirement for insulation when it gets cold?

and speaking of old timey, I realised in the spares stash there are a couple starter dogs, I will definitely have to fit one to REV at some point in time and get a starting handle for it, just for the novelty/party trick of being able to hand start her :) 

(she may well have had one when new, but currently she doesn't, im still trying to figure out if all Model 70's originally had starter dogs or if it was something that was dropped after a certain point in production)

I do find it rather ironic/it always tickled me that a car built specifically for the disabled had the ability to be hand started! although on a more serious note I think it just an artifact of the Steyr puch engine rather then the DHSS specifying it it!

the Model 70 never came with a starting handle and sadly I have never seen anyone actually try and hand start a Model 70

but im pretty sure you can if you had a starting handle! :) (you can see the starting dog here on TPA, ex KPL's engine)

Image from iOS (19).jpg

(I still wonder what TPA's (well ex KPLs) air filter housing is about, I have not seen it on any other Steyr puch flat twin!)

twas just checking some details 

and I noticed FMO106

this Larmar car

image.png.6017b246c014395a015aaacaa8b451c1.png

looks to have been taxed recently!

image.thumb.png.ac93862fc65b1d1d575f3c11372745f2.png

and is even showing as insured :) 

image.png.3958d6215713a24f21cbc521e01b24a7.png

I know it changed hands a while back http://rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=5583.msg45805#msg45805 and the new owner took it up a hill climb, which is quite fun to watch

its quite fun/cool to think that it may be in use still/on the road!

14 minutes ago, Christine said:

If you have a bad back you wont be hand cranking  a twin believe me.. l struggled with a  Morgan 

im obviously not planning on doing it day in and day out!

I was just musing about the novelty of it thats all! (plus its not a bad backup should the dynastart fail LOL)

im hoping @dollywobbler can track down a starting handle for TWC that would make for a good clip in one of his videos :) 

speaking of Model 70's it looks like the owner of MHJ107P has joined the microcar world facebook group, I have asked him if he is indeed the keeper of MHJ107P, still waiting for a response, but going by his other comments it looks like it

quite pleased by that, as until now I didn't know who the keeper of MHJ107P was

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/?multi_permalinks=2855586464484297

90563736_10221565990367952_1557996977147346944_o.thumb.jpg.415dfac35e4019a9bd68e9b59f55a379.jpg

(im also curious how he came to acquire MHJ107P as AFAIK it was last spotted for sale on ebay back in 2010!)

Hey, I drove past the old Larmar works the other day (by pure chance). Seems like the business has now closed so I doubt the buildings will be long for this world. difficult to see how much of the building is 'period' but I reckon apart from the modern bit at the very front it's probably the same as the 1940s works where the cars were built.

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 17.00.43.png

1 hour ago, barrett said:

Hey, I drove past the old Larmar works the other day (by pure chance). Seems like the business has now closed so I doubt the buildings will be long for this world. difficult to see how much of the building is 'period' but I reckon apart from the modern bit at the very front it's probably the same as the 1940s works where the cars were built.

Oh thats very cool!

I never actually looked into the Larmar company, I sort just assumed they faded away at some point,

if this is anything to go by https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00374953 I think they are still in buisness :) 

so its very cool to see not only does it look like the factory still exists but the company is still in business!

also (cc @keef and @quicksilver ) as I happen to be writing this response, my FoI, partly answered my request, but still doesn't really make sense! I mean its the same response that everyone else gives you when you ask them 

"oh its for vehicles not used on the road" well duh, I was hoping they would go into a bit more detail in it!

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/information_on_the_vehicle_statu#incoming-1538232

and they never answered how a vehicle goes about acquiring the status in the first place,

but as I mentioned before (I Think!)

from looking at at lots of not taxed for on road use vehicles, I think the status comes into show when the DVLA simply does not hold any taxation information on the vehicle

ie say you register a new vehicle, but you never tax it, like an airport vehicle, or for example if in the 1970s/1980s you moved a car from a buff logbook to a V5 but never tax it because its been off the road since 1959 and still undergoing restoration  then the DVLA would have no taxation information on that vehicle

hence the status of "not taxed for on road use" since well if they have no taxation info, then its obviously not taxed for road use!

the only thing that throws a spanner in the works is Stuarts Peel P50, which he V765'd and registired back in 2017 BUT never/has not yet taxed it AFAIK, but instead of showing not taxed for on road use its showing as untaxed since 1st of January 1998 despite being first registered in 2017!

image.thumb.png.50c68a49aa0ea9f381dc849e5878e852.png

stuart says this is because thats when continuous SORN etc was introduced which makes sense

but courtesy of @cms206 I know of this from 1999! 

image.thumb.png.3fccf3dc288e289ad85df72db7fb6e85.png

perhaps the situation with stuarts peel is because it was a V765 jobby or such rather then a regular registration of a motor vehicle

(and obviously it was done 18 years after the Optare!)

so otherwise im pretty confident now in my theory that its the status the DVLA gives to vehicles they hold no taxation information on 

at least we now know how many not taxed for on road use vehicles there are! 224,902 according to the DVLA, which is a lot more then I was expecting!

but I guess there is a lot of plant machinery out there etc!

(my theory would also explain all the not taxed for on road use Tippen Delta's Stanley argsons and Model 64's I know of since those where relatively specialized invalid vehicles (especially in the later years) the DHSS probably had a larger number of them in reserve, for longer periods of time, then normal and obviously did not want them to get lost, so when the DVLC was formed i'm guessing the DHSS moved their buff logbooks to V5's but never taxed them since they where in the reserve fleet, hence the not taxed for on road use status as explained above)

I do know when you got tax a vehicle before confirming everything it does give you some info on it

On 9/28/2019 at 2:03 PM, egg said:

If I do SORN it..shit, someone's not taxed this car for 39 years, lol

1669262711_Screenshot_20190928-1401172.thumb.png.7605b69a52dac8587bd61a94f0443764.png

so it would be interesting to see what, say @Mrs6C's Bond equipe ACK888B which shows up as not taxed for on road use

would say in the "this vehicles previous tax/sorn expired on:" bit! 

and just for completeness sake, I do of a Larmar car that shows up as not taxed for on road use LOL

image.thumb.png.a95393fd895d310228bab63d39a17ff7.png

3 hours ago, Vantman said:

I bought a VW Beetle-897 TDV- from Square Hill Motors in the early 1960s.

:) 

5390116104_97af428417_b.jpg

(think this is my first time being able play invalid vehicle snap with a Stanley Mk7!)

ya know the more I look at the photo, the more I wonder if that Mk7 had been abandoned there? looks distinctively run down and scruffy with a broken tail light, ill fitting engine cover, and some (litirial?) crap or damage on the other wing

there is a similar shot of a Stanley Mk7 or Harper Mk6 parked by a London police station (Bow comes to mind?) I must find again at some point and see if theres a registration for me to use as a jumping off point in hopes of finding a harper that still shows up on the DVLA

found out by accident that the videos on the youtube channel run by the Steyr puch guy in Austria (who owns "KPL96P") have english subtitles :) 

so been watch his videos, and I was hoping in his Carburetor one he would explain what the differences are between the ICSx webber carbs are but sadly he does not

still an interesting watch tho :) 

but I was wondering if someone did know the differences?

the reason Im wondering is because as you may have seen my mention before all Model 70's I have seen have Webber 32ICS10 carbs, however I cant find any info on this weber carb

and the workshop manual only gives on the Webber 32ICS3! (and also solex carbs, but I have never seen a Model 70 with a Solex carb) 

image.thumb.png.128de5cf0f875514f8b161afce94a296.png

image.png.5be67a540e85092f1242c59f2d5a8d9a.png

so im curious what the differences are between these numbers, is it just different jetting or is it something else?

the only bit of info I can find on the ICS10 variant is here https://puch500forum.eokc.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1151

(if I am reading those posts correctly it look like the ICS9 is a bigger jetted version of the ICS10?)

but yeah it would be interesting to know what the differences are between all the these webber 32ICSxx carbs are! I think there is 32ICS 1 3 6 9 and 10

20 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ya know the more I look at the photo, the more I wonder if that Mk7 had been abandoned there? looks distinctively run down and scruffy with a broken tail light, ill fitting engine cover, and some (litirial?) crap or damage on the other wing

It has the remains of a GB badge on the back also... so possibly it had travelled abroad at some point...

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

found out by accident that the videos on the youtube channel run by the Steyr puch guy in Austria (who owns "KPL96P") have english subtitles :) 

so been watch his videos, and I was hoping in his Carburetor one he would explain what the differences are between the ICSx webber carbs are but sadly he does not

still an interesting watch tho :) 

but I was wondering if someone did know the differences?

the reason Im wondering is because as you may have seen my mention before all Model 70's I have seen have Webber 32ICS10 carbs, however I cant find any info on this weber carb

and the workshop manual only gives on the Webber 32ICS3! (and also solex carbs, but I have never seen a Model 70 with a Solex carb) 

image.thumb.png.128de5cf0f875514f8b161afce94a296.png

image.png.5be67a540e85092f1242c59f2d5a8d9a.png

so im curious what the differences are between these numbers, is it just different jetting or is it something else?

the only bit of info I can find on the ICS10 variant is here https://puch500forum.eokc.at/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1151

(if I am reading those posts correctly it look like the ICS9 is a bigger jetted version of the ICS10?)

but yeah it would be interesting to know what the differences are between all the these webber 32ICSxx carbs are! I think there is 32ICS 1 3 6 9 and 10

The 'numbers' usually indicate jetting variations. Usually, it's the Italians we're talking about. ?

7 minutes ago, red5 said:

The 'numbers' usually indicate jetting variations. Usually, it's the Italians we're talking about. ?

ah cool I had thought it was something such

it would be interesting to know if anyone has more details or like a weber datasheet/catalog of sorts :) 

(does remind me is Dolly carburettor still at Zels or has that found its way back home?, because when we finally are able to get to the FoD we can finally install it and see if Dolly will idle and if she will idle see if she can move/drive! which is a very exciting prospect!)

36 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

It has the remains of a GB badge on the back also... so possibly it had travelled abroad at some point...

indeed I brought the photo up when talking about British invalid vehicles visiting other countries :) 

I do wonder where it went to!  

On 3/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I do wonder what it would cost to get it back to the UK, I suspect more then however much it would have cost to ship ONO454D back to the UK from NI and I sadly couldn't find a buyer for that one on here, so I think finding an AS buyer for this one in SA might be a bit far fetched!

I  have heard of someone supposedly taking their Villers powered Machine to Spain and (assumingly!) back home, that must of been fun flat out at 45Mph!

(and I know another, of a Catholic priest taking his Model 70 to france and back via the motorways in the 1980s)

and here is a picture of a Stanley Mk7 with the remains of a GB sticker on the back!

5390116104_97af428417_b.jpg