LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

29 minutes ago, keef said:

Not seen this before :-

Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
Not available

FPH 782J

✗ Untaxed

Tax due: 
1 May 1992
Incorrect tax status?

MOT

No results returned
Incorrect MOT status?

are you referring to the

"Date of last V5C (logbook) issued  Not available"

thing?

from my research you get that result just if the last V5 issued, was issued before 1979 or so,

notice that FPH782J's last keeper change was in 1978 :) 

image.png.f3ed61517b3df26c341fa3da1ad0fafa.png

33 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

from my research you get that result just if the last V5 issued, was issued before 1979 or so,

I assumed that was the case, just never seen it before.

35 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

notice that FPH782J's last keeper change was in 1978 :) 

image.png.f3ed61517b3df26c341fa3da1ad0fafa.png

Yep; been smashed up round a muddy track now. :(

Why do folk thing it is fun to treat old cars in this way?

5 minutes ago, keef said:

I assumed that was the case, just never seen it before.

I have mentioned it before :) 

right when the feature first popped up (and you can see it in many of my DVLA screen shots of various invalid vehicles from there on out)

On 11/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I noticed when going to check some Model 70 details on the DVLA checker that things looked a little bit diffrent, clicked through

low and behold "date of last V5C (logbook) issued" thats new!  it was not there earlier in the day!

image.thumb.png.67c19f7c5c395972b6ecc2cf1ec53f09.png

seems to work pretty well going as far back as 1979 in the case of this Tippen Delta

image.thumb.png.9d3f3a866067aa32de84d7082b55d70e.png

but its not totally reliable sadly

image.thumb.png.5490d8917c55d3081b838c7bffd6f698.png

3 minutes ago, keef said:

Yep; been smashed up round a muddy track now. :(

Why do folk thing it is fun to treat old cars in this way?

thats a shame, has it already been banger raced or has it simply been purchased by the banger racers, can you buy it back off them and save it?

1 minute ago, keef said:

It was the "not available" bit, not the date of issue that I hadn't noticed before. ;)

yeah I understand that if you notice in the post I quoted I make notice of the not available bit, and then later on on that page (91) and later pages I finish the rest of my Model 67 chassis number research where you see some more DVLA results with "not available" for the date of last V5c issued :) 

On 11/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, LightBulbFun said:

but its not totally reliable sadly

image.thumb.png.5490d8917c55d3081b838c7bffd6f698.png

21 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah I understand that if you notice in the post I quoted I make notice of the not available bit, and then later on on that page (91) and later pages I finish the rest of my Model 67 chassis number research where you see some more DVLA results with "not available" for the date of last V5c issued :) 

I see/saw that, but I hadn't noticed before I pulled up the latest Maxi record. ;)

From Instagram, it's not all pouting young ladies. User is 'Fuldamobil'

This peculiar looking contraption is a Meyra Type 57 invalid carriage built sometime in the mid 1950’s. Kind of a combination of a microcar and a motorcycle, these were sold mostly to handicapped WWII veterans who needed a way to get around. The controls would be custom fit depending on the owner’s requirements. Since they were inexpensive to buy and run, some were bought by the able bodied as cheap transportation. This prompted Meyra to try entering the microcar market, but that was short lived. That car was especially weird with double front doors and I don’t believe any survived. They also built a handsome roadster prototype that looked like a scaled down Nash-Healey. Meyra is still a major European wheelchair manufacturer, but none are two-stroke powered like this guy.

Capture2.JPG.5ab3dd9fa2c9f2c7bbadc16bd2f29781.JPGCapture.JPG.bd3e4e7631db0502b6575e5710b9974f.JPG

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah cool, yeah foreign invalid vehicles is another ball game entirely! 

Indeed, but it's interesting to me how many countries came up with similar solutions regarding disabled mobility after the war.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:24 PM, LightBulbFun said:

depending how much of a project you want, RRE20L Might be for sale at some point not entirely sure whats happening that one sadly, and sadly its chassis is very sad from what I have been told, last I heard it was with someone in London, but said London peeps have expressed interest in one that is not so sad, so it might end up back with Frazer (where I fear it will end up getting broken for parts which would be a great shame seeing as its one of the very few Model 70's sold privately), and there's also a Model 70 (or  Model 67!) in Bush in pembrokeshire, would be very cool to see that one unearthed and saved :)

Wonder where RRE20L is in London? Considering I am near SW London, and transport is no problem. I did see a pic, supposedly of RRE on a transporter with a Model 70 decal on the door

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Wonder where RRE20L is in London? Considering I am near SW London, and transport is no problem. I did see a pic, supposedly of RRE on a transporter with a Model 70 decal on the door

Yeah there are a few Invalid vehicles dotted around London including the second Invacar off the production line! would be amusing if I find any in my travels with REV :) 

5 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Show us the picture, you know you want to! ?

probably refering to this one :) 

RRE20L.jpg

it was back when Fraser owned it/was selling it, here is its excerpt from the survivors list :) 

On 2/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LightBulbFun said:

RRE20L, AC, Date of first registration: 15th of December 1972, Current status, reported to be with some chap in London, otherwise unknown. Untaxed since December 1981, Date of last V5C (logbook) issued, 8 December 1983, notable for being one of the very few Model 70s sold privately

$_86 (3).JPG

19 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

Yes thats the pics ! Wonder about it now !

found in a welsh field apparently! 

I will have to/do want to poke fraser about it at some point again and see whats what exactly, last I spoke to him he said it was owned by someone near the thames

was sold by him to/bought by someone who supposedly was involved with em back in the day, with them wanting to make a basic chassis just to move it around as a display item

but apparently it was too far gone for them to work with and so some sort of part exchange was on the table at one point in time involving RRE20L going back to Fraser and Fraser selling them XEV88S (VES108S)

but im not sure whats happening now, I know Fraser put XEV88S for a respray/spruce up which is still ongoing now I think (not that I think it needed it, XEV88S was in fine fettle beforehand! I personally think the effort should have gone into fixing up RRE20L given its a very rare private example)

just before XEV88S went in for a respray fraser put it up for sale for about £3K IIRC, so id not be surprised if nothing else happens it ends up for sale for £5K or so afterwards if JPA268N was anything to go by!

(he is also converting it from Tiller bar to handle bar, which im conflicted about, as Tiller bar Model 70's are much rarer, but I understand wanting handle bars from a usability POV, but im pretty sure he is just going to end up selling XEV88S on anyway so I really do wish he left it as a tiller bar machine)

48 minutes ago, bobdisk said:

If RRE is in such a bad way under the skin, the pics make it look like the body would do for spare panels, for one with a good chassis and body damage.

normally I would agree with that

but as mentioned RRE20L being a rare private example etc, I personally think/say its worth putting the effort into saving :) 

I sadly don't have many pictures of its chassis so for all I know things could be over blown! I do know fraser is quite picky/has higher standards then us when it comes to things in that regard

this is the only chassis shot i have, which does look quite crispy, however the front suspension aint collapsed (AFAIK!) tho, so it cant be any worse then TPE376S! LOL (the ex Skye car which was/is sadly properly rotten, it is however donating its good body shell and running gear to KPL139P tho :) )

image.thumb.png.d6fa6ee77c042ef8bd8c6bfbf969c032.png

all this talk of "poking people" has prompted me to get back in contact with the guy who owns these 4, and he happens to be visiting where they are stored soon (which he had not been able to get to because of of the whole situation going on RN) so hopefully Ill finally get their chassis stamped chassis numbers so I can finally formally ID which ones they are, so he can V62 em finally and I can add them to the survivors list! so im quite excited about that :) 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:41 AM, LightBulbFun said:

last night/today has been very exciting as I have been tipped off by @st185cs 

of 4 more surviving Model 70's that were not on any survivors list :) 

I have the owners contact details and will be making contact with the owner for more details, and to make sure the V62 application is done correctly, from what I have seen so far sadly, SVW48R and SPU145M are the victims of Approved repairers doing things London Transport style, with the "bonus" thing, that whichever AR looked after these, actually updated the chassis numbers on the V5 too, which explains why I could not pull SPU145Ms chassis number when I came across SPU145M a few months back, because it had a 4 digit chassis number from an AC Model 70! 

anyways heres the pictures

SPU145M, note that its even wearing an AC badge still! I think its actually GPF282N

983787B3-4CDD-40DA-B3B6-DAFABE603E0F.jpeg

this one is actually KPC538P, although im still waiting for pictures of the actual chassis numbers to verify

C1D17F09-0EF9-495D-A9FD-7D1B2A31EAAF.jpeg

SVW48R is another swap the chassis and reg plates onto a good Model 70 victim, I believe its actually GTW614N

7BFF6751-3FF7-4896-A51D-C951B85BFD93.jpeg

and finally VJN960S, again one I believe to be genuinely VJN960S, but still waiting to verify

B79A5FDF-DCBE-481A-852B-959A73C6FE52.jpeg

but yeah its not everyday 4 new survivor Model 70s pop up!, goes to show 16 years later they are still coming out of the woodwork slowly, really does make you wonder what's still out there :) 

also very surreal for me, as I remember looking up SPU145M and VJN960S when going through the Reg blocks as they were 2003-2004 survivors so I could pull their chassis numbers, or at least try to with SPU!, and I did mentioned at one point that I wondered how many of these 1000s of Model 70's I have looked up, are still out there somewhere surviving unknown to us!

if someone could find BPE29H that would be amazing LOL

it does turn out that I had actually been somewhat aware of these 4 Model 70's I just did not know their registration numbers

unsurprisingly Fraser is trying to buy 2, and has been for a good couple years now, luckily it looks like the current owner wants to keep all 4 and do them up, fraser knew of them but did not know of their numbers etc

I dont want fraser to get anymore Model 70's given his history of just selling them off for profit/doing them up unesserly when there are other Model 70's that where/are much more needing of attention

also as a side note

its REV451Rs 43rd birthday today, as she was registered on the 5th of November 1976 :) 

(I find it funny that a car built for the government, but bought privately was registered on the day, that someone tried to blow up the government! LOL)

(to be pedantic she was made in October 1976, but the chassis plate does not say what day exactly, so I go by the date of first registration)

now I wonder how @Faker is getting on with his endeavour :) 

That's pretty crispy, it might not even be much good as a pattern depending on whether it remains mostly intact while the body is removed if the bits underneath are as bad. That said the chassis is so simple access to a good one would allow a sketch to be made and scratchbuild one from shiny steel.

16 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

That's pretty crispy, it might not even be much good as a pattern depending on whether it remains mostly intact while the body is removed if the bits underneath are as bad. That said the chassis is so simple access to a good one would allow a sketch to be made and scratchbuild one from shiny steel.

yeah I have thought about that, just in general as well regardless of RRE20L, just how much effort it would be to fab an entirely new chassis from scratch :) 

in theory we would not have to use another example as a pattern as by an amazing miracle, most of if not all the original Model 70 technical service drawings, aka blueprints do survive :) so all we would have to do is pull out the drawings for the chassis and use that, or if you have the money just hand a copy of them directly to a fabricator!

although said drawings are with Simon/the ICR now, so good luck getting access to them! *grumble grumble* 

Pfft; it's a ladder frame made of box section steel, even a slapdash amateur like me can do that, although I'd probably spend some time and money making a welding table like FOAD just obtained to build it on as that makes keeping it square easy.

32 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Pfft; it's a ladder frame made of box section steel, even a slapdash amateur like me can do that, although I'd probably spend some time and money making a welding table like FOAD just obtained to build it on as that makes keeping it square easy.

well then heres some basic drawings from the workshop manual :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.c095d9b9fe641fda2846125ca58bce46.png

(NB this shows drawings for a Model 70 Mark A, the Model 70 Mark B has a strengthened chassis among other tweaks/improvements, but RRE20L is a Model 70 Mark A, I believe there are TSD for both the Model 70 Mark A and B chassis, but I only have a basic Mark A drawing to hand)

That would be of help with creating a jig but hands-on inspection would still be needed to get sizes, tube gauge, construction details etc. Show that to a steel fabricator they will show you the door. A manufacturing drawing will have far more information on it.

34 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

That would be of help with creating a jig but hands-on inspection would still be needed to get sizes, tube gauge, construction details etc. Show that to a steel fabricator they will show you the door. A manufacturing drawing will have far more information on it.

yeah I know, I just posted the screen shot as a more tongue in cheek thing you know me I don't need much excuse to post something like that :) (as I mentioned its just a basic drawing not a full TSD)

I really would love to go through the TSD's they are something that really need to be properly digitised given how valuable and useful they are/would be to the Model 70 and owners of Model 70's

but alas as mentioned they are with the ICR, hopefully in time I might be able to get something done there tho :) 

one TSD (out of over a thousand), or im guessing more accurately a copy of one made it into my copy of the workshop manual, its been interesting to study its layout and the detail it goes to :) 

image.thumb.png.b2bb23e60bfc2aaf9ae62496ffa2bf7f.png

apparently one set of TSDs is an almost 1:1 scale drawing of a Model 70, I bet that one is a sight to behold :) 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:30 PM, barrett said:

Oh yeah, Duncan has a couple of invacars - I expressed some interest in one and our friend Stefan did this sketch of it for me

post-3924-0-54784200-1552498169_thumb.jpg

(http://stefanmarjoram.com/store - he's very good)

@dollywobbler's recent tweet has reminded me of these once more :) 

and im still wondering if you might know or be able to get any more details on them for my records etc? :)