LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

19 minutes ago, Woollen797 said:

Hi there would you be able to tell me what book this is please as I became the custodian of this Trilox Rollsette in 2007, Thank you

DSC00920.JPG

happy to see you on here :) I did see your posts on the rumcar forum and have been meaning to leave a comment, but now your here it makes it a bit easier for me!

they are some very nice machines you have (Both your invalid carriages and the buses :)

it would be very cool to hear how you came to get them and what you do with them :)  do you have list/full set of pictures of all the IC's you have? :) would be good to know for the records etc!

I noticed GRT574 is not taxed for on road use and last had a V5 issued in 89 so I assume she is not currently on the road?

im not sure who took the photo in the book but I know who to ask! I also think I have a few other photos of GRT on my desktop computer which I can post tomorrow if your interested in seeing those?, it is one of the more common Trilox Rollsette's I come across in my research :) 

On 11/17/2020 at 10:35 PM, LightBulbFun said:

happy to see you on here :) I did see your posts on the rumcar forum and have been meaning to leave a comment, but now your here it makes it a bit easier for me!

they are some very nice machines you have (Both your invalid carriages and the buses :)

it would be very cool to hear how you came to get them and what you do with them :)  do you have list/full set of pictures of all the IC's you have? :) would be good to know for the records etc!

I noticed GRT574 is not taxed for on road use and last had a V5 issued in 89 so I assume she is not currently on the road?

im not sure who took the photo in the book but I know who to ask! I also think I have a few other photos of GRT on my desktop computer which I can post tomorrow if your interested in seeing those?, it is one of the more common Trilox Rollsette's I come across in my research :) 

I'd love to see some more photos of GRT. I currently only have one powered IC and 2 hand cranked ones sadly the hand cranked ones haven't seen much use for a few years and GRT is in bits as I was rebuilding the body till some prat damaged both bodies where I was storing it. 

Bought the first as I has an old Springer Spaniel that couldn't walk far so I wanted a tricycle to transport him around at the shows and I tend to like unusual things so the IC really appealed to me. I had to put a plate onto the frame behind the front wheel to stop the dogs nose catching the wheel but he loved it and would go sit it it waiting for someone to take him for a ride.  

Really do need to get them back out as they are fun at shows, stopped using them about 2010 as my new puppy wouldn't travel in them and I didn't want to run him over while he was along side. 

I really do like them and it's fun at shows watching a friend getting stuck on hills and some of the older folk assisting pushing them up as they would have back in the day. I normally tell them thanks for the offer but I can cheat when the try and help push me up hills although when I was showing the trikes a lot I did quite well getting up hill unless it was on gravel and then I'd just spin the wheel.  The one with the front driven wheel is awful as it spins the wheel for fun.

I should get the V5 sorted for GRT but it didn't come to me with one but I did notice recently it is live again on the DVLA site so may be worth trying for one.

Somewhere on Youtube there is a video of me a friend racing them at Crich tramway museum. Ill have a look for that later.

PICT7372.JPG

PICT7505.JPG

PICT4288.JPG

DSCF3442.JPG

ah thats awesome stuff :)  very cool to hear of an IC being used espically a hand cranked one, loved that it really is being used as an invalid carriage to help an elderly dog get around, maybe an idea for @xtriple? :) 

I just checked quickly I sadly dont have as many pictures of GRT as I thought But I have certainly seen some floating around so ill make sure I save them and post them next time I come across them

11 hours ago, Woollen797 said:

I should get the V5 sorted for GRT but it didn't come to me with one but I did notice recently it is live again on the DVLA site so may be worth trying for one.

thats interesting that you say its live again, do you mean it vanished for a period? AFAIK its been on there since 1984?

although it is worth mentioning that Trilox does not have a make code on the DVLA, so back in the old days of the DVLA checker online, where you had to pick from a drop down list of makes, you may not have been able to find it because of that

but regardless she is on the DVLA thankfully so should be a simple V62 for a V5 :) (and when you get the V5, change the body type to invalid vehicle, she is currently incorrectly registered as a Tricycle)

and I do hope she can be returned to the road, im not aware of any petrol or electric invalid carriage class invalid vehicle (ie bellow 254Kg) that are on the road currently (apart from maybe a Larmar car FMO106, and the Trilox Tricar KXS921 ex DEP20 is still taxed and and insured, but so is REV and she aint on the road yet sadly!)

so it would be very cool to see one on the road :) 

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

ah thats awesome stuff :)  very cool to hear of an IC being used espically a hand cranked one, loved that it really is being used as an invalid carriage to help an elderly dog get around, maybe an idea for @xtriple? :) 

I just checked quickly I sadly dont have as many pictures of GRT as I thought But I have certainly seen some floating around so ill make sure I save them and post them next time I come across them

thats interesting that you say its live again, do you mean it vanished for a period? AFAIK its been on there since 1984?

although it is worth mentioning that Trilox does not have a make code on the DVLA, so back in the old days of the DVLA checker online, where you had to pick from a drop down list of makes, you may not have been able to find it because of that

but regardless she is on the DVLA thankfully so should be a simple V62 for a V5 :) (and when you get the V5, change the body type to invalid vehicle, she is currently incorrectly registered as a Tricycle)

and I do hope she can be returned to the road, im not aware of any petrol or electric invalid carriage class invalid vehicle (ie bellow 254Kg) that are on the road currently (apart from maybe a Larmar car FMO106, and the Trilox Tricar KXS921 ex DEP20 is still taxed and and insured, but so is REV and she aint on the road yet sadly!)

so it would be very cool to see one on the road :) 

I see no reason why the Trilox shouldn't be used on the road although I'll not be using it for work. 

Current dog hates travelling in/on anything so would just jump off the 2 hand propelled IC's but the Trilox may not be bad due to the box body. 

Not sure what it is with the DVLA as vehicles keep dropping off the site, I currently have one that is on SORN but is not on the site but 2 have come back on.

Will it make much difference if it is registered as a invalid carriage rather than a trike? Must admit I thought there was restrictions for using invalid carriages to invalids and mechanics working on the IC.

Found the video of me and mate messing around at Crich. 

44 minutes ago, Woollen797 said:

Not sure what it is with the DVLA as vehicles keep dropping off the site, I currently have one that is on SORN but is not on the site but 2 have come back on.

strange, the only time a vehicle will seemingly drop off the DVLA is either a reg change of some kind or if its been issued a CoD, if you can share the registration of the one thats vanished id be happy to have a look at it for you see if I can figure whats gone on there :) 

44 minutes ago, Woollen797 said:

Will it make much difference if it is registered as a invalid carriage rather than a trike? Must admit I thought there was restrictions for using invalid carriages to invalids and mechanics working on the IC.

AFAIK those rules only apply to Mobility scooters, because the Government is The Government they are also called invalid carriages in law, but come under their own set of rules and regulations compared to actual invalid carriages

and when you get the V5 as well the body type change that I recommend, if you wish to use it on the road you will have to change the taxation class, as its currently in the taxation class: Not Licensed, whoever put it onto the DVLA system back in 1984, never put into any taxation class hence the status Not taxed for on road use (which you can think of as an old timey SORN)

and being over 40 years old you can put it into the Historic Vehicle taxation class which should help if anyone questions anything, since your not running around in the Disabled taxation class that a Mobility scooter would be in :) 

so I would not worry about it, you can leave the Body type as Tricycle, no one is going to come round and take out your knee caps but I just think it would be good to have its records properly sorted :) 

(if you dont want to change the body type, then when you V62, I think you can put HISTORIC VEHICLE into the taxation class field and preemptively change the taxation class that way, so you dont have to send the new V5 right back)

Here's 2/3 of a Model 70...
;ryZByk7w.jpg?1119

It came from a Pistonheads thread, here:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=946523&i=4000

The thread says it came from a FB group 'Abandoned Scotland' but I have had a look on there and can't find the photo, so perhaps it is another FB page with a similar theme...

On 19/11/2020 at 19:12, Mrs6C said:

Here's 2/3 of a Model 70...
;ryZByk7w.jpg?1119

It came from a Pistonheads thread, here:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=140&t=946523&i=4000

The thread says it came from a FB group 'Abandoned Scotland' but I have had a look on there and can't find the photo, so perhaps it is another FB page with a similar theme...

ah yeah another one I came across in my early days, used in my research to figure out the Rollover bar :) I do wonder what happened to it, is it still there? would be good to recover it if it is, sure its quite sad but it may yield some useful bits like rear end body work sections etc :) 

(at the time of the post bellow the only Model 70's I had seen in detail where TWC and TPA, which are Both Model 70 Mark A's predating the rollover bar by quite a bit, which was not introduced until March/April 1976, with NVW205P on the Invacar side and  LOI8065/MPD477P on the AC side)

On 14/02/2019 at 23:21, LightBulbFun said:

heres an interesting one that iv been trying to figure out

during one of my past sleuthing sessions I came across this picture (in a thread on the piston heads forum about abandoned cars IIRC?)

post-25614-0-25872900-1550185920_thumb.jpg

and it was noted, (and I noticed) the what looks to be a rollover bar of some kind, at the time I was not sure what to make of that, (is it really a rollover bar from the factory, or was it added after the fact at some point, perhaps someone used the model 70 in the picture for racing?)

however I came across this picture in the drop box archive

post-25614-0-22501700-1550186152_thumb.jpg

which is of the invacar on top of the combine harvester thingy, which also shows the same bar

im pretty sure this bar is embedded inside the roof as I dont recall seeing it in the interior of a Model 70

so I guess my question is, is it really a rollover bar or just part of the manufacturing process for the roof? (I guess it would really depend if its bolted to the chassis or not)

would be amusing if it is a rollover bar because I doubt many other cars from the time had such safety devices let alone on an invacar  :mrgreen:

12 minutes ago, Floatylight said:

Spotted on FB 

Screenshot_20201119-193745_Facebook.jpg

hah just came to post that :)

its the first Model 70 I helped return to the road/Figured out what its real ID was with the help of @busmansholiday who visited it in person for me

126494422_10227003896422875_1099622022264485041_o.thumb.jpg.a78d444a588111b475247705dc4fba2f.jpg

its fun to see how frequently he gets papped these days, he clearly uses it a lot :) 

its story with me and the forum starts here all the way back on page 26 :) 

https://autoshite.com/topic/32723-invacar-model-70-acquired-general-ramble-thread-index-on-page-1-model-70-survivors-list-on-page-24-pre-model-70-ac-and-invacar-survivors-lists-added-on-page-135/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1760809

On 11/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, LightBulbFun said:

strange, the only time a vehicle will seemingly drop off the DVLA is either a reg change of some kind or if its been issued a CoD, if you can share the registration of the one thats vanished id be happy to have a look at it for you see if I can figure whats gone on there :) 

AFAIK those rules only apply to Mobility scooters, because the Government is The Government they are also called invalid carriages in law, but come under their own set of rules and regulations compared to actual invalid carriages

and when you get the V5 as well the body type change that I recommend, if you wish to use it on the road you will have to change the taxation class, as its currently in the taxation class: Not Licensed, whoever put it onto the DVLA system back in 1984, never put into any taxation class hence the status Not taxed for on road use (which you can think of as an old timey SORN)

and being over 40 years old you can put it into the Historic Vehicle taxation class which should help if anyone questions anything, since your not running around in the Disabled taxation class that a Mobility scooter would be in :) 

so I would not worry about it, you can leave the Body type as Tricycle, no one is going to come round and take out your knee caps but I just think it would be good to have its records properly sorted :) 

(if you dont want to change the body type, then when you V62, I think you can put HISTORIC VEHICLE into the taxation class field and preemptively change the taxation class that way, so you dont have to send the new V5 right back)

I've figured out why I couldn't find it, I put the original reg in not the current one. Brain fart moment LOL. 

Only just realised when looking at some photos to check last letter of its reg. 

I did wonder if I'd struggle sorting GRT for road use but a lot has changed as now it is MOT and tax exempt.  I know the Trilox will be historic tax class but I see from that page you posted they have it as 1948 but DVLA have it as 1939 so not sure who is right and as it has been repainted before coming to me there is no way of telling if it got the white mudguard ends. Would be nice to put it into blackout spec for shows. Must admit seeing that more people are interested in the invalid carriages has sparked my interest in sorting GRT again, hopefully where it is stored now I shouldn't have a repeat of the previous problem.

14 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

@LightBulbFun this cropped up on one of the Faceache groups I am on, thought it might interest you 

Screenshot_20201121_002611_com.facebook.katana.jpg

ah yes JPF413N, you see it everywhere as its one of the first (royalty free) Model 70 pictures to pop up when you google "invacar" :) 

1974ish_Invacar_in_London.jpg

also one of the few if not the only Model 70 to be papped twice while in ministry service by 2 different people 

22157157_1855338641160176_7135265023231787008_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Woollen797 said:

I've figured out why I couldn't find it, I put the original reg in not the current one. Brain fart moment LOL. 

Only just realised when looking at some photos to check last letter of its reg. 

yeah that would do it!

10 hours ago, Woollen797 said:

I did wonder if I'd struggle sorting GRT for road use but a lot has changed as now it is MOT and tax exempt.  I know the Trilox will be historic tax class but I see from that page you posted they have it as 1948 but DVLA have it as 1939 so not sure who is right and as it has been repainted before coming to me there is no way of telling if it got the white mudguard ends. Would be nice to put it into blackout spec for shows. Must admit seeing that more people are interested in the invalid carriages has sparked my interest in sorting GRT again, hopefully where it is stored now I shouldn't have a repeat of the previous problem.

I dont think it would be too hard, there aint much to these earlier machines :)  I guess the main thing is make sure you can stop safely and make sure what few lights it has are working (and I would personally maybe consider fitting a couple extra to be extra visible on the road)

(and obviously make sure the engine/drive line is working well and not threatning to live you stranded somewhere!)

im pretty positive on the 1939 thing thats a DVLA cock up (or end user cock up from whoever registered it in 1984!) GRTxxx was a Suffolk registration first issued in April 1947 so that lines up with the Trilox being from 1948 :) 

it is possible to get it corrected but the DVLA have made it a lot tricker then before, so for now I would not worry about it! (unless the Suffolk county council registration records still exist somewhere then you could use that to get it declared manufactured 1948)

On 11/19/2020 at 7:42 PM, Floatylight said:

Spotted on FB 

Screenshot_20201119-193745_Facebook.jpg

One thing I've been wondering since I first saw it - do we know why MPH is partially brown? Was it maybe given a coat of paint to help disguise it given its history of being 'liberated' from a scrapyard?

58 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

One thing I've been wondering since I first saw it - do we know why MPH is partially brown? Was it maybe given a coat of paint to help disguise it given its history of being 'liberated' from a scrapyard?

I suspect something like that, or maybe it was just done for the LOLs as they say, I mean someone had made a smily face out of tape on her, complete with eyelashes LOL but I dont know for sure sadly

IMG_20190309_152832.jpg

Brian her current keeper is an interesting character thats for sure, nice enough to chat too, but is slightly incoherent and posts a couple too many COVID conspiracies to his facebook feed LOL (and other similar posts)

and I have to gently remind him from time to time, no you cant use an Invacar to park in disabled and other such spaces!

65720797_400748407212568_1784805083562047834_n.thumb.jpg.d3c38eafc7a21333ce67e33a0ab9b4c9.jpg

123314084_10221464113104785_5736005695225296146_o.thumb.jpg.e18e2a768451cb07d549b5355fc0901f.jpg

so that might have something to do with her being painted brown...

and all this and other shenanigans he gets up to does means I do get worried at times for this Model 70 LOL

17 minutes ago, egg said:

Any news on the Oxford diecast model?

funnily enough I was idly looking at its page last night wondering the same thing

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/ac-invacar-pale-blue-76inv001

not see anything new but @quicksilver is probably more in the loop on new diecast models then I am :) 

I imagine given all thats going on we probably wont see something until 2021, I just hope it does not get axed completely 

check this out, my brother is checking out properties in the local area, and this is the 1 picture they provided for one of the properties they where looking at!

I214531.jpeg.4f549be2392e0e943fec1f65014d5fec.jpeg

I have to wonder if its the Model 70 I used to see when I was very small?

(its also amusing that they have not updated the picture in what must be about or nearly 20 years now!)

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

check this out, my brother is checking out properties in the local area, and this is the 1 picture they provide!

I214531.jpeg.4f549be2392e0e943fec1f65014d5fec.jpeg

I have to wonder if its the Model 70 I used to see when I was very small?

(its also amusing that they have not updated the picture in what must be about or nearly 20 years now!)

How many Model 70s went to people in cities such as London compared to people in more rural areas? 

13 minutes ago, Eyersey1234 said:

How many Model 70s went to people in cities such as London compared to people in more rural areas? 

I dont think data to that detail was ever released

if you go through the old parliamentary records records you can unearth quite a lot of data on the number of the various invalid vehicles in use for a given a year

but it does not normally break down location wise

26 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

My understanding is first quarter 2021 for the Oxford diecast.

ah thats good to know :) 

Brian certainly seems to use his Model 70 a lot!

Yeah, it makes me very happy to see any Model 70 thats still being used regularly today :) its also quite fun just how quickly it was returned to the road after I sorted out its registration issue (I know REV is not all that far behind so its all the more frustrating that over a year later she still aint on the road!) as a side note its interesting how I dont think TPA has been papped just out and about by anyone (outside of shows ofc) despite the fact she is also one of the few Model 70's that still get used regularly

I'm forever being tagged in spotted posts.

yeah anything invacar and at least 5 people tag you or your hubnut page, although not so much fun for your inbox  it is quite amusing to observe at least!

On 05/11/2019 at 11:41, LightBulbFun said:

last night/today has been very exciting as I have been tipped off by @st185cs 

of 4 more surviving Model 70's that were not on any survivors list :) 

I have the owners contact details and will be making contact with the owner for more details, and to make sure the V62 application is done correctly, from what I have seen so far sadly, SVW48R and SPU145M are the victims of Approved repairers doing things London Transport style, with the "bonus" thing, that whichever AR looked after these, actually updated the chassis numbers on the V5 too, which explains why I could not pull SPU145Ms chassis number when I came across SPU145M a few months back, because it had a 4 digit chassis number from an AC Model 70! 

anyways heres the pictures

SPU145M, note that its even wearing an AC badge still! I think its actually GPF282N

983787B3-4CDD-40DA-B3B6-DAFABE603E0F.jpeg

this one is actually KPC538P, although im still waiting for pictures of the actual chassis numbers to verify

C1D17F09-0EF9-495D-A9FD-7D1B2A31EAAF.jpeg

SVW48R is another swap the chassis and reg plates onto a good Model 70 victim, I believe its actually GTW614N

7BFF6751-3FF7-4896-A51D-C951B85BFD93.jpeg

and finally VJN960S, again one I believe to be genuinely VJN960S, but still waiting to verify

B79A5FDF-DCBE-481A-852B-959A73C6FE52.jpeg

but yeah its not everyday 4 new survivor Model 70s pop up!, goes to show 16 years later they are still coming out of the woodwork slowly, really does make you wonder what's still out there :) 

also very surreal for me, as I remember looking up SPU145M and VJN960S when going through the Reg blocks as they were 2003-2004 survivors so I could pull their chassis numbers, or at least try to with SPU!, and I did mentioned at one point that I wondered how many of these 1000s of Model 70's I have looked up, are still out there somewhere surviving unknown to us!

if someone could find BPE29H that would be amazing LOL

it does turn out that I had actually been somewhat aware of these 4 Model 70's I just did not know their registration numbers

unsurprisingly Fraser is trying to buy 2, and has been for a good couple years now, luckily it looks like the current owner wants to keep all 4 and do them up, fraser knew of them but did not know of their numbers etc

I dont want fraser to get anymore Model 70's given his history of just selling them off for profit/doing them up unesserly when there are other Model 70's that where/are much more needing of attention

also as a side note

its REV451Rs 43rd birthday today, as she was registered on the 5th of November 1976 :) 

(I find it funny that a car built for the government, but bought privately was registered on the day, that someone tried to blow up the government! LOL)

(to be pedantic she was made in October 1976, but the chassis plate does not say what day exactly, so I go by the date of first registration)

On 08/11/2020 at 12:12, LightBulbFun said:

so the owner of these 4 Model 70's just contacted me again to say he is finally about to start working on them :) 

and sent me some detailed photos of KPC538P including of its chassis number in both the locations so I am able to say for sure KPC538P is KPC538P :) (and it means I can add it to the survivors list, just holding out for a nice overview picture of it)

also some close up's of its number plate which where quite interesting, Clark & Partners Ltd was a very large Approved repaier back in the day, but i never knew they even had their own plates made

image.thumb.png.920794801c899f64f292994bb687d822.png

pretty amusing to see a Model 70 on Dealer plates LOL

just got the other 3 to fully verify :)

On 10/11/2020 at 14:34, LightBulbFun said:

and just got another one of the 4 fully ID'ed :) 

indeed as I thought "SPU145M" is actually GPF282N :) 

IMG_7830.thumb.JPG.a30531c10b39adbf59e9030b642fc53a.JPG

its a bit amusing how lazy the approved repairer was with this one

usually when such AR shenanigans happened, usually the registration plate and VIN plate are swapped onto the "new" car

but with GPF282N, all the AR did was swap SPU145M's registration plates onto the car , leaving GPF282N's VIN plate in place, and even leaving the AC badge intact on the nose LOL

(and the VIN plate Chassis number and Chassis number on the actual chassis match fully verifying it is GPF282N :) )

with it being fully verified and as I have an overview shot of this one it has just been added to the survivors list as well :) 

and just got a photograph of "SVW48R"s chassis stamped chassis number a few minutes ago, and as I thought it is actually GTW614N :) another case of Lazy AR who just swapped the registration plates but left the VIN plate inside original which does match with the chassis stamped number further verifying it :) 

very happy to have yet another properly ID'd and verified :) 

Just VJN960S left to verify which I think is genuinely VJN960S but I still want to get a shot of its Chassis number to verify it :)

On 11/21/2020 at 10:55 AM, LightBulbFun said:

yeah that would do it!

I dont think it would be too hard, there aint much to these earlier machines :)  I guess the main thing is make sure you can stop safely and make sure what few lights it has are working (and I would personally maybe consider fitting a couple extra to be extra visible on the road)

(and obviously make sure the engine/drive line is working well and not threatning to live you stranded somewhere!)

im pretty positive on the 1939 thing thats a DVLA cock up (or end user cock up from whoever registered it in 1984!) GRTxxx was a Suffolk registration first issued in April 1947 so that lines up with the Trilox being from 1948 :) 

it is possible to get it corrected but the DVLA have made it a lot tricker then before, so for now I would not worry about it! (unless the Suffolk county council registration records still exist somewhere then you could use that to get it declared manufactured 1948)

Not too fussed with messing around with the DVLA to change age at the moment. GRT had escaped to the Lincolnshire/Norfolk border when I bought it so at that stage hadn't got too far. 

The engine was quite good last time I ran it but sadly it has been sat a long while now so not sure how good it still is. Lights what are those, it has a nice big headlamp but the rear light I have larger dynamo lights on my bicycles LOL. I'll mostly use it on road runs due to the lack of security and ease to lift it up and walk off with it, the good thing about that is if it does break down getting a lift back should't be too hard. 

Maintenance as you say it is fairly simple just keeping on top of brakes and services.

so my 7000th post!

figured id make this mile stone post a LightBulb related as today I got some fluorescent tubes iv been wanting for many years now!

and that is a radar red fluorescent tube, in-fact I got 50 of the buggers! 2 cases of 25, brand new! one case is mine and the other was bought by a fellow collector in the states and ill be mailing it to him in the new year after the christmas rush and all that has calmed down some hopefully, (he is paying shipping!)

image.thumb.png.3219d9dd9c11773f2e16629ad4d83110.png

the Radar red fluorescent tube is a very rare colour of fluorescent tube developed for use in lighting radar rooms which had green phosphor radar screens, the red lighting helping improve contrast of the green screen (being opposite colours) 

image.thumb.png.0fb900e17109a6176d7b33f16c16779b.png

I have wanted a tube in such a colour for many years now, but as they where only really used in military applications they where very rare, although the radar red tube was sold publicly and found niche uses in the same applications you find other solid colour (Red Green Blue Pink Gold etc) fluorescent tubes, and also in meat displays but there where dedicated tubes for that application, so the radar red tube remained a very rare tube

so  I was very happy to come across these, linked to them  by a friend yesterday, they where on ebay being sold by the case collection only, which is very frustrating for someone like me who is housebound, but for once things where in my favour and the seller said in the description he could do delivery within central London so I quickly arranged for that and had the 2 cases delivered to me :) 

turns out the Seller is a black cab driver and so I had my tubes delivered by black cab which I thought was pretty neat! :) 

I think my current plan is trade the majority of the tubes in my case with other collectors and in the future pick up another case just so I have a complete case of 25 :) (the seller currently has 8 cases remaining and I dont see those going anywhere anytime soon because apart from myself no one is in Central London!)

(right now im both space and money limited hence why I just got the 1 case for myself for now, they showed up just after I bought myself some other lighting goodies, so its been a bit of an expensive month! but I would like to pick up an addition case in the future!)

there is an even rarer Radar Blue colour for use with orange phosphor radar screens, but this colour was never sold publicly AFAIK and is such is VERY rare and was considered a bit of an urban legend before a couple collectors managed to get their hands on some a few years back

I sadly dont have one of those!

these radar red tubes are from the 1st Factory Week January 1984, they must be some of the last as theres no mention of Radar red in the 1984/1985 catalog, and although the 1983 catalog mentions Radar Red, it does not actually list it as available in any tube size

so yeah very pleased with this find :)  just 1 is pretty amazing but whole cases is something else

(as above I also have some other lighting goodies arriving hopefully in the next few days so ill probably post about those depending how it all goes :) )  

15 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Turns out the Invacar model has been delayed. May be more like mid-2021 now.

ah yeah im not surprised sadly, hopefully sooner rather then later, im very much looking forward to buying a few (was quite tempted by the 1/43th scale one, but a couple too many niggles with the accuracy of the model meant I just could not drop the £80 they want for one, they are still very cool tho!)

15 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

The owner of the new four has been chatting to me. He's desperate for glass. I'm hoping Mark has some as I can't think where else you'd get it.

surely being all flat glass it would not be TOO costly to have some new glass made up? but iv never priced this sort of thing up...

speaking of the 4*, I have been informed that 2 of said 4 are now driving, he seems to be making quick progress with them :) 

(*or the Garden 4 as Stuart called them when I last spoke with him, which tickled me as it reminded me of this tune from my earlier days on the internet LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMXGw6fU0U)