LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

12 minutes ago, Out Run said:

Is that a garden spade, jammed in a paint can?

twist and go, Literally! an innovative control scheme developed by Leonard Murphy turn it clockwise for the forward speed ranges and counter clockwise for the reverse speed ranges

twas used on the Stanley Argson Electric and the Nelco Solocar (which was designed by him, after he fell out with Stanley over the development of of his patented control scheme)

I took my first driving test in an Isetta bubble car. It was a baking hot day in August and the examiner was a large man wearing a winter coat. I was doomed to fail. He found a road that was single track for me to do my three point turn in! So fail I did :)

That's a good picture @LightBulbFun, I hadn't seen that before. Do you know when it was taken? Sadly it has deteriorated quite a lot since then from other photos I've seen - the rear wooden bodywork has totally collapsed and the aluminium roof has twisted. I didn't have a record of the registration though, so that's helpful. The Surrey reg is unusual as most of them seem to have been registered ex-works in Middlesex.

I believe it's a three-owner car. Glad to see the seats are intact, the only other survivor has lost its original seats which I suspect are unique to the Astra

Anyway, I've asked the question and I'll see what the guy says...

9 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

I took my first driving test in an Isetta bubble car. It was a baking hot day in August and the examiner was a large man wearing a winter coat. I was doomed to fail. He found a road that was single track for me to do my three point turn in! So fail I did :)

this isn't you is it? :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.e6cc85c624f2cb1839468ad534af62f9.png

interesting to note the bubble car is a LHD one so I suspect its one with 4 wheels rather then the british 3 wheeled variant

I was wondering about that because you cant take a full driving licence car test in a 3 wheeler

21 minutes ago, barrett said:

That's a good picture @LightBulbFun, I hadn't seen that before. Do you know when it was taken? Sadly it has deteriorated quite a lot since then from other photos I've seen - the rear wooden bodywork has totally collapsed and the aluminium roof has twisted. I didn't have a record of the registration though, so that's helpful. The Surrey reg is unusual as most of them seem to have been registered ex-works in Middlesex.

I believe it's a three-owner car. Glad to see the seats are intact, the only other survivor has lost its original seats which I suspect are unique to the Astra

Anyway, I've asked the question and I'll see what the guy says...

Thanks happy to hear I was able to help and get you a registration number :)  I got it from here https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3415534581822813

when the Walkers visited the museum recently to pick up some of the microcar stuff they where selling

(sad to hear it has detoriated since you last saw it, I would have hoped that the museum would have done something to prevent that, if nothing else maybe putting up some internal supports, even just a couple 2x4's vertical in the rear to prop the roof up?)

As far as I can recall they are all left hand drive, both three and four wheel variants. No doubt there are better educated people who will set me straight if I am wrong. The steering column on the Isetta is mounted on the opening door  and moves forwards as the door opens to give you better access. 

3 minutes ago, DSdriver said:

As far as I can recall they are all left hand drive, both three and four wheel variants. No doubt there are better educated people who will set me straight if I am wrong. The steering column on the Isetta is mounted on the opening door  and moves forwards as the door opens to give you better access. 

nah they made RHD versions under licence in the UK :) I THINK first ones made in the UK were 4 wheelers still but where not very popular, so they came out with a 3 wheeled  variant, which then could be driven on a motorcycle licence and had cheeper tax and all that jazz and as such was much more popular etc :) 

image.thumb.png.a8f2c4eaf1448657c789cb4a52de4ae3.png

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Thanks happy to hear I was able to help and get you a registration number :)  I got it from here https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3415534581822813

when the Walkers visited the museum recently to pick up some of the microcar stuff they where selling

(sad to hear it has detoriated since you last saw it, I would have hoped that the museum would have done something to prevent that, if nothing else maybe putting up some internal supports, even just a couple 2x4's vertical in the rear to prop the roof up?)

Interesting! That's actually a more recent photo than any I have seen, which means they have made an effort to prop the roof up etc Good to know!

28 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

nah they made RHD versions under licence in the UK :) I THINK first ones made in the UK were 4 wheelers still but where not very popular, so they came out with a 3 wheeled  variant, which then could be driven on a motorcycle licence and had cheeper tax and all that jazz and as such was much more popular etc :) 

image.thumb.png.a8f2c4eaf1448657c789cb4a52de4ae3.png

Interesting, I'm sure the one my sister owned and I used was a 3 wheel left hooker. I note that the one in the picture is a BMW but again can't remember what her's was.

1 hour ago, DSdriver said:

Interesting, I'm sure the one my sister owned and I used was a 3 wheel left hooker. I note that the one in the picture is a BMW but again can't remember what her's was.

Yeah, im not saying all 3 wheelers where RHD or such, just they did make some RHD ones :) , in-fact if you look at the video I got the screen cap from, you do get a rear facing shot of the LHD one and it is a 3 wheeler curiously...

in Model 70 news, @dollywobbler uploaded a new video with lots of hot Invacar action, and I noticed when he took one of the brake drums off that they actually marked with Ministry Model 70 part/Store Code for them, STY244 which I found quite interesting

it made me wonder if the brake drums on the Model 70 are an off the shelf item or actually something Model 70 specific? 

image.thumb.png.f0bd42ea14a633d0251ca4999170f0c8.png

also somewhat surprised to hear those are still TWC's brake shoes from when she came out of ministry service!

I really do wish I knew what sort of shape REV's brakes are in and what attention they need, given they are the last major hurdle for getting her on the road...

as a side note @dollywobbler I noticed TWC's front tyre is looking a bit low, tyre pressures are 17 front and 22 rear for a Model 70 on 12 inch wheels :) 

8 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

if the brake drums on the Model 70 are an off the shelf item or actually something Model 70 specific? 

I think they may be mod 70 specific as they are machined to fit over the Fiat hub flange and are 4" PCD, so they do not seem to be adapted from something else.  All this special stuff must have cost a fortune.   

4 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

I think they may be mod 70 specific as they are machined to fit over the Fiat hub flange and are 4" PCD, so they do not seem to be adapted from something else.  All this special stuff must have cost a fortune.   

yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, would have had to fit a Fiat Hub, but 4 inch PCD with girling brakes, and I cant think of anything else that would also have used such a configuration LOL 

and yeah the Model 70 was not a cheap car thats for sure

I THINK in 1977 if you wanted to buy one new privately they where £1799, but I would also take the price with a pinch of salt as I think that number originated way back when from someone on TV calling in and saying "yeah my friend bought one new for £1799" so who knows if that was the actual price or not, sadly I have never seen a Model 70 in any of the price lists you used to see in car mags back in the day etc

44 minutes ago, egg said:

That must have Stuart's name on it, unless he already has one!?

Dont think Stuart is going for it sadly, he has said that he is happy with his 2 Hardings, but he did say in the past he always fancied KPK888K so if that one ever shows up again maybe, hopefully he will get a 3rd? :) 

3 hours ago, Austat said:

snap! shares a registration with the JPU207N-JPU306N block of Invacar Model 70's

D5PXY1.thumb.jpg.c226c9a616dae1cf5f8286aba58688b1.jpg

tis the 2nd DAF I have seen that shares a registration serise with a block of Invacar Model 70's :) 

On 06/07/2019 at 16:29, Fabergé Greggs said:

Wuv, then PBK and then I had the Daf 66.

I did loads to it and got it running really nicely. I sold it to a bloke in Kent via RR. Someone dinged into it whilst parked and then the clutch went. He gave up on it and sold it via the Daf Owners club. It’s now being fully restored. 

3595974F-1130-4108-B809-E7D249910931.jpeg

A48C3AFE-C2FA-43C6-8B6E-1EDBC5B9D2FC.jpeg

D6C51F0D-5ADF-4CAF-BEA6-8CBCA43558A9.jpeg

shared with the WHK301L-WHK400L block :)

_xcVXIyU.jpeg

On 17/10/2020 at 19:25, Six-cylinder said:

They are stalking me!

This one turned up on a 25 sec FB clip posted by Gareth Abbott on the pre 1994 spotted group. I cannot work out how to link the video so have a screen shot.

FB clip from pre 94 group.jpg

just joined this private group as I had been made aware of some other Invacar stuff recently posted there, so figured I should join and scope it out

glad I did, managed to Unearth a few neat pictures :) 

first one is JBY503J (LVX250J) looks like has been papped out and about recently, quite happy to see this, as its the only Invacar Mk12 I know of in any sort of on road use, so happy to see its still in use :) 

image.thumb.png.0af5358e2d42c2e7155bb0cf4b3a324d.png

also unearthed some more recent pictures of PHK714R and MPD536P will update the survivors list with these new pictures :) 

40139778_10157433315721808_2438821729343111168_n.thumb.jpg.4dbeb56142d90f0ef8eb4767f284f3c8.jpg

40145551_10157433315716808_2343601883483996160_n.thumb.jpg.59a31eca7c5a7de65eb3465d4551193a.jpg

and finally this Tippen Delta papped by someone in Sheffield in 2016, one for @busmansholiday to look out for? I wonder if its the "other one" brian mentioned a while ago Ill have to ask him

sadly it looks to have been fire damaged at some point

image.thumb.png.bead95265becee07137fba510fe24450.png

image.thumb.png.05f78a0e3750c6baef2db041dc3e8318.png

On 10/20/2020 at 7:30 PM, plasticvandan said:

Not the first time the bubblecar museum has sold cars off,last time pissed a lot of people off as some of the cars had been donated or were on loan.the owners are the most miserable rude people I've ever met.

Ilegal surely to sell what isn't yours?

had lesson 54 today, first one with the new instructor :) 

which went well I think and I think I will get on better on with this instructor then the last, at least initial impressions where good, but time will tell how things are!

next lesson is on the 6th (as she is completely booked for the week coming)

although her car is a Pug 208 like my previous instructor, this one is a diesel so that was interesting, it actually has something resembling torque LOL 

one for @barrett stolen from @dollywobbler's twitter, a whole bunch of Stanley Harper Mk6's enroute for delivery by rail :) 

Ek8gSufWMAMkdEF.thumb.jpeg.aac1be34d55b2f7ed81fdc288873a690.jpeg

heres the tweet for a higher rez version, sadly since the latest forum update the admin has shrunk the max image size...

https://twitter.com/ShedlyYard/status/1319308725585326080/photo/1

34 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

which went well I think and I think I will get on better on with this instructor then the last, at least initial impressions where good, but time will tell how things are!

Good. What was her feedback like? I got the impression from the previous instructor that it was pretty much too negative.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, DSdriver said:

On 10/20/2020 at 1:50 PM, LightBulbFun said:

Bubble car chat - both the British built Isetta  and the Trojan 200 nee Heinkel Kabine were right hand drive.

Heinkel Trojan 200 Bubble Car in superb condtion | eBay

A Trojan 200.

Trojan 200 (1964) - Studio 434

Unlike the Isetta, the Trojans steering wheel did not hinge with the door.

1961 BMW Isetta Bubble Car RHD VGC

UK RHD Isetta

Yes, it's that Trojan Car company. Originally the RHD Heinkels were made in Ireland by the Dundalk Engineering Company but they were of such poor quality that production was quickly transferred to Trojan in the UK who were on their last legs, the 'Kabine'  giving them much needed work.

Phun phact - UK Isettas were made in the old railway works at Brighton - lots of info here - https://www.bloodandcustard.net/BMWIsetta.html

To match lighbulbfans Invacar loaded train, here's some Isettas on the move...

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

On 11/03/2019 at 23:31, Zelandeth said:

Go on CMS, what's under the bonnet of the Douglas? Gardner 6LX/LXW?

On 12/03/2019 at 09:20, cms206 said:

Not entirely sure and both those and I are no longer at Glasgow Airport to check! They were ex-British Midland and I reckon dated from the mid-70s. Drove them a few times, I think they were Deutz.

The later DC10Hs we ran ('80ish onwards) were Deutz powered, but Cummins, Scania and ISTR Rolls Royce was an option in those too; our DC10Hs were ex-BA but were neither Q-plated nor licensed as Reliants ;)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

for what its worth Q676ATV has an engine number that starts with "PERKINS" so I think that might be a clue! :) but its worth noting that Q677ATV's engine number does not start with perkins, and is in a completely different format 

(just happened to come across the pictures again while going back through the thread for something else, and looked them up via the Carbaba site to check what their DVLA Body type codes where and noticed the engine number thing, so figured id share!)