LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

I can’t imagine doing my test in London. I’ve driven lots now but I still find going through London an exhausting and stressful experience.

I had to drive to a friend’s house going right through the middle the other day. It was so horrible it took me a couple of hours to recover! In some ways you’re probably ahead of the average driver already.

13 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

It must be disappointing that today's outcome wasn't a pass, but has been said above, learn from the experience and book yourself another test. It is good news though that the things you were worried might be issues for you in the test, turned out not to be the case. Focus on the areas identified for improvement and practise those. Sitiational awareness can be practised without a car. Go for a walk down your street and observe the surroundings. See how cars are parked. Watch how people walk around the pavements and cross the road. Ask yourself what possible hazard situations can arise and think about how you can deal with them.

Something your instructor might be able to do with you is a commentary drive. This is when you give a running commentary out loud on what you are doing, the situations you observe around you and how you are responding to these. Check out Youtube for examples. It is a technique that can help you structure the way you observe the space and situations through which you are driving, to help you anticpate and respond to other road users and hazards in good time. I have done these for work and found them useful.

With regard to instructors, personally I'd stick with the one you have already. I would ask him though to take you through all the items on the 'fault' list and practise these until you can deal with them all easily and with confidence.

Do book your next test soonest, though!

yeah I appreciate the thoughts and advise ill keep it in mind :) , I imagine one or 2 of the items on the fault (minors) list probably the moving away control and moving away safety ones, is probably just because near the start of the test like a complete tit, I managed to stall the car when pulling out of a junction, something I have done a million times without issue now, but of course during the test I made a right dogs breakfast of it, but thankfully it was not a major (hah) issue

11 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

I failed my first test @LightBulbFun it was a mini roundabout, I checked left and a car was arriving, checked right their was nothing as far as I could see ( blind corner ) I pulled out and an Audi came around at quite some speed, the examiner put on the he-man brakes and I knew that was that.  Fair or not that was that.  I redid it as soon as I could and passed the second time with only one minor. 

yeah mum came up with a new term so to speak today, in that you have to make sure you deal with/account for "the arsehole" factor LOL I just got to be that bit more aware etc and dont let other road users compromise me next time

4 hours ago, jon.k said:

I can’t imagine doing my test in London. I’ve driven lots now but I still find going through London an exhausting and stressful experience.

I had to drive to a friend’s house going right through the middle the other day. It was so horrible it took me a couple of hours to recover! In some ways you’re probably ahead of the average driver already.

Yeah it definitely is not easy thats for sure, as mentioned lessons do knock me for six so to speak for a few days, wish I could comment on the average driver thing, but as I have complained about many times now

I dont really have much of a baseline on how my driving is if that makes sense, I have never been able to go for a drive with anyone else really, so I have no second opinion (well apart from the test!) on how my driving really is,

have decided to top up the BSM account with some hours, just 6 for now and have texted my instructor to book a lesson next Tuesday as discussed, will be interesting to see how that goes

assuming nothing changes etc with 1 lesson a week should see me good for the next 3 weeks

as mentioned sadly not sure when I will be able to book another test, as I have been figuratively dumped back down the queue

https://www.gov.uk/book-driving-test

it sadly makes no mention of when everyone else so to speak can start booking tests again

hopefully this is all a case of try try and try again, rather then die trying! LOL

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

I dont really have much of a baseline on how my driving is if that makes sense, I have never been able to go for a drive with anyone else really, so I have no second opinion (well apart from the test!) on how my driving really is,

I wouldn't worry about that too much either, after my dad got fed up with me having no clue about clutch control in his work van around an industrial estate, I only had pro lessons, never did any other driving while learning and did ok. As the instructor said - he wouldn't put you in if he didn't think you could pass. You're good enough now, you just need conditions to go in your favour - it's like getting the questions you revised coming up in the exam - and not the ones you didn't!

2 hours ago, egg said:

I wouldn't worry about that too much either, after my dad got fed up with me having no clue about clutch control in his work van around an industrial estate, I only had pro lessons, never did any other driving while learning and did ok. As the instructor said - he wouldn't put you in if he didn't think you could pass. You're good enough now, you just need conditions to go in your favour - it's like getting the questions you revised coming up in the exam - and not the ones you didn't!

Agreed, as I say I didn't do much driving outside of lessons either and have done ok

On 8/3/2020 at 8:01 PM, LightBulbFun said:

just a heads up for @bobdisk  @somewhatfoolish  @Cavcraft @wuvvum and whoever else at some point expressed interest in wanting a Model 70 but has not yet found one (sorry if I have forgotten to tag you explicitly)

well looks like @OliD-E may be flogging his 2 https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3189880944388179/

it would be nice to see them remain in the fold :) he has informed me that he is best contacted via his email: oliverdacostaevans@gmail.com

Looking at the descriptions and pics, whoever buys must have both, and attempt to make one good one. Will also need more parts to be successful. Unfortunately, I do not have the space for both, or I might try.

45 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

_20181019_225632.JPGLBF, thought of this as I have a trip to Pembrokeshire in mind.  Assume I have the right photo.  That's not an Invacar.

right post/location/field of chod, but wrong photograph sort of :) heres the actual photo, it was posted in DW's TWC thread I dont think the photo itself ever actually got posted in this thread now I think about it

image.png

I do find it a bit sad that no one has saved/investigated it since AFAIK? (I never did message the OP of that facebook post as social anxiety got the better of me at the time) my plan was/is to go hunt for it when im finally on the road with REV so If needed I could physically go look for it etc

but yes please if your going via Pembrokeshire and could possibly try and hunt it down for me and get details on it etc that would be very much appreciated!

as a side note I dont actually know if its a Model 70  it could well be Model 67! since I cant see the defining the features that tell the 2 apart, but regardless it very much needs saving!

9 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

but yes please if your going via Pembrokeshire

Right...... Don't hold your breath.  Not planning to go until Autumn, and have other things to do but could have a nose around if I had the general location.  Needs a few more clues I think,  Don't do facebook, was there anything posted there that would help to locate it?

BTW don't want it myself, and it won't fit in my campervan.

Seriously though, a polite message to the facebook OP asking for location in your official ICR historian role?  A hillside with a power line somewhere in Pembrokeshire isn't much to go on, but nearest village/farm/road number, etc. would narrow it down quite a bit.

3 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Right...... Don't hold your breath.  Not planning to go until Autumn, and have other things to do but could have a nose around if I had the general location.  Needs a few more clues I think,  Don't do facebook, was there anything posted there that would help to locate it?

BTW don't want it myself, and it won't fit in my campervan.

Seriously though, a polite message to the facebook OP asking for location in your official ICR historian role?  A hillside with a power line somewhere in Pembrokeshire isn't much to go on, but nearest village/farm/road number, etc. would narrow it down quite a bit.

Yes probably about time I finally did message the OP, especially if there is a chance someone could go looking for it :) 

by some small miracle that facebook user still has the same profiler picture so tracking her down was pretty easy and she has posted to her wall 14 hours ago so is still around on that account, always a good start! 

will think something something up and try and message it to her soon

and yeah I understand, just any info on it would be very much appreciated so someone who does have the capabilities to save it can do so :) 

On 09/08/2020 at 07:56, Eyersey1234 said:

What's the difference between a Model 67 and Model 70?

The AC Model 67 (known by the non ministry name as the AC Acedes Mk14, 14A, and Mk15) was the direct predecessor to the Model 70

this is an AC Model 67 (AC Acedes Mk14) 

image (10).png

it was introduced in about Mid 1967 it was basically an AC Model 57 (AC Acedes Mk?-12)  with a new fibreglass body lumped on top  (so powered by a manual 4 speed gearbox and a 2 stroke 197cc single cylinder Villiers 11E engine, with a spindly back bone with out riggers type chassis)

ac4.thumb.jpg.2cff821d2c1989e13ef7e5cfaf2b4eb6.jpg

the AC and Invacar Model 70 entered production around June 1971 (and in ~October 1971 with Invacar Ltd) and apart from outward looks the Model 70 shares nothing in common with the Model 67, being built on a completely different much more robust chassis/platform with a completely different driveline, under the hood the Model 70 was a radical departure from the then standard layout of invalid vehicles of the time

(although commonly stated that the Model 70 simply uses the Model 67 body, the first 5 Model 70 Prototypes do predate the introduction of the Model 67 , so there is a chance that AC may have Lobbed the then in development Model 70 body onto the Model 57 chassis to make the Model 67 as a sort of stop gap vehicle, but sadly exactly how the the Model 67 came to be is is not known)

the Model 70 was designed and built by AC, (with Invacar Ltd also being ordered/contracted to produce it by the Ministry as well a replacement to their Invacar Mk12)

this is an AC Model 70 (Mark A)

59dcb4ca44863_InvalidecarriageJPH371K127431RAW.jpg.f85aac7c9fcb7a116219216eee7b2ee9.jpg

the Model 70 was powered by an air cooled flat twin 493cc Steyr puch engine, driving a centrifugal clutch which in turn drove purpose built AC designed and built gearbox (which does forward neutral and reverse) which drove a set of Salsbury CVT pulleys for automatic "gear changing" which then sent drive through a triplex chain then into a Fiat 500 differential and out to the rear wheels via fiat 500 drive shafts and fiat 500 hubs (but drilled for 4x4 inch PCD)

image.png

(the Model 70 was originally going to use a Fiat 500 engine, but Fiat refused to provide units and AC where instructed to negotiate with Steyr puch instead, who built fiat 500s under licence but with their own engine, so their engine would still drop into a vehicle designed around a fiat lump originally , its a good thing fiat refused to supply engines because steyr puch engine is much better then the fiat engine!)

20170618_143847_resized.thumb.jpg.0c61b21e7bc461722b5f5dd8dd110c2c.jpg

IMG_0491.thumb.JPG.d184f9031eac80119394aa4057eb55d3.JPG

image.thumb.png.6f747f93409468c4d81f1baac5d7f548.png

circling back around as you can see the Model 70 has flared wheel arches vs the Model 67's flat sides, they also had slightly different rear end treatments 

Model 67, (Mk14 in this photo to be specific also seen well is that the Model 67 has only has 1 door where as the Model 70 has 2)

ac5.thumb.jpg.fa1b05f770bdde80c377e471e06bbaeb.jpg

and Model 70 (with @catsinthewelder's son Bobby at the erm... "wheel" :) )

398476951_IMG_05141.thumb.JPG.5f3662280c037af466bdea9723539f60.JPG

other external differentiating features are also as follows the Model 67 AC Acedes Mk14 and Mk14A, have mould lines going down the front (see TPD924F) where as the Model 67 AC Acedes Mk15 has a smooth front but with a towing eye poking out the bumper (see APK864H and EPH364J)

where as the Model 70 has a smooth front with no towing eye (see SPA219L)

MAP671.thumb.jpg.c0f485e86417f00b11a8f2e23718af79.jpg

(GVW518H and ENO109G are Invacar Mk12's (Ministry name Model 66) which is what Invacar Ltd produced before making the Model 70 themselves as well)

and a final difference is on the Model 67 AC Acedes Mk14 the guttering around the door/side windows/aperture  only goes part way round the door aperture , where as on the Model 67 Acedes Mk15 and the AC/Invacar Model 70 it goes the full length/shape of the side/door windows/aperture

but as you can probably tell all these features are sadly hidden in the bush photograph in the post above all I can make out is the roof line sadly which is not enough to tell me exactly what it is sadly

On 09/08/2020 at 08:10, Mr Pastry said:

have just messaged the OP of that facebook post from a couple years ago :) 

hopefully she sees the message! (when you randomly message someone FB like this most of the time it goes into their message requests folder which a lot of people forget about/dont check frequently)

and hopefully when/if she does I get a good response

for now its a waiting game, will obviously keep the thread updated if anything happens!

she got back to me on it, not got an exact location yet, but she says theres not much left as its been in a fire apparently 

quite a shame to hear that, Im not sure if she means recently or when she first found it, (I regret not asking about it at the time it first popped up now)

have asked if does know anything about its location still

edit: she says it had been in a fire before she found it, looks like an engine fire

1 minute ago, egg said:

maybe it is a 67 then given the reputation of the Villiers for catching on fire...

It’s the only explanation! As we all know, the Model 70 has zero short comings. ?

Well done @egg for potentially solving what model the vehicle in question is. :-)

1 minute ago, egg said:

maybe it is a 67 then given the reputation of the Villiers for catching on fire...

yeah I did wonder!

I have asked her if she remembers any details about it, and if I show her some photos or such does she think she might able to ID it?

still waiting to hear back on that (and sadly no location details other than its in It’s in a field in south west wales)

5 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

yeah I did wonder!

I have asked her if she remembers any details about it, and if I show her some photos or such does she think she might able to ID it?

still waiting to hear back on that (and sadly no location details other than its in It’s in a field in south west wales)

Get yourself a mask, a Megabus ticket and a tent and go and see.

That would be a good adventure. ?

yeah I did wonder!

Great that you got a helpful response anyway - you never know until you try.

had lesson 48 today (if you count the failed test as a lesson)

went well :)  once more im glad his car had air conditioning, LOL traffic was actually fairly light and was a pretty relaxing drive overall and we made pretty good time

only one van and a bus pulled out on me today! LOL (and one obligatory BMW driver ahead of me who decided red lights dont apply to him, its a bit concerning how often I see people just drive through red lights really!)

next lesson is next Tuesday same time 1:30PM as mentioned previously just sort of coasting along now until I can book another test whenever that may be! so down to just one a week currently

had lesson 48 today (if you count the failed test as a lesson)

went well :)  once more im glad his car had air conditioning, LOL traffic was actually fairly light and was a pretty relaxing drive overall and we made pretty good time

only one van and a bus pulled out on me today! LOL (and one obligatory BMW driver ahead of me who decided red lights dont apply to him, its a bit concerning how often I see people just drive through red lights really!)

next lesson is next Tuesday same time 1:30PM as mentioned previously just sort of coasting along now until I can book another test whenever that may be! so down to just one a week currently

Hope it wasn't one of my colleagues driving the bus, a few went down to London to help out a couple of months back ?