LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

19 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

_47639823_car.jpg.0f27fa8d1cd8ab2c5f35cd6a0e427324.jpg

Not your instructor I hope 

LOL no, the car he had an accident in was a Pug 308

its how iv ended up "going through" 3 cars LOL

out of curiosity tho I did dig up the article its from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/8618414.stm

and it reminds me of when my instructor was talking about what he can do if the learner does something stupid (dual controls and all that) and one of the moments he mentioned was simply when he was simply driving his sister somewhere and (in the pug 308 with a "flappy paddle" electronic hand brake thing in the centre console) where she went to go and pull up on the lid for the centre console storage area but pulled on and activated the hand brake instead at 30Mph! 

he also mentioned if the learner brakes suddenly for whatever reason all he can do is brace himself, that was a bit sobering! because yeah theres no "un brake" pedal if the learner gets spooked and stamps on the anchors while theres an audi 3 inches off the bumper!

8 hours ago, bobdisk said:

You never know, Mr Instructor might be overwhelmed with lesson requests now its back on. I would hurry up and contact him so you dont get shoved too far down the waiting list.

Yeah I have already texted him a couple times but stopped getting responses after the 25th...

image.png.c00369b463a42b0aea61c55b8d38022d.png

so currently pondering what to do, I might just try call him, but I dont want to be a nuisance 

4 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

I'd call him too, won't do any harm 

4 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Call him and be a nuisance!  You wont get anywhere otherwise! If no results, go to someone else, I would

gave him a call went to voice mail after ringing for a while, so left a message

and I have not heard anything back, ill contact BSM directly on Monday and see what they say

its a little bit concerning I hope nothing bad has happened to him!

46 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

You could cobble it on to the trailer... like in the Johnny Cash song...

hah funnily enough I was thinking about commenting how perhaps I could strap it to the front of my trailer and with a Villers 11E engine make my own Invacar based tiddly truck! LOL :) 

46 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

your link is broken but heres a working one :)  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333634630061

yeah I have seen quite a few of those RUM car magazines pop on ebay in the past few months, managed to get a picture of ATW435F thanks to those ebay listings :) but I appreciate the heads up :) 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:19 PM, LightBulbFun said:

turns out it actually is part of the same reg series a block of invacar Mk12Ds is part of :) see ATW435F! (pic robbed off of ebay, someone is selling a load of RUMCar magazines)

s-l1600-1.thumb.jpg.6e6a70153f7cbcc154a85e759c682087.jpg

On 5/12/2020 at 10:09 PM, LightBulbFun said:

ATW435F, Invacar Mk12D Date of first registration 1968, Current status thought to be with Jesada Technic Museum, in Thailand, otherwise unknown

701208986_Screenshot2020-05-12at21_49_16.png.dce2633652ffee4d514cbc76d53496cf.png

the ones that mention invacars but dont show the pages that mention them,  interest me because im curious what is being shown that i cant see! :)

but I have not bought any especially as I think they are available digitally so if I have a need for a particular copy ill buy one that way so I dont overload myself with paperwork and I would also be directly supporting the RUMCars :) 

23 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Surprised you haven't messaged him and asked or is he one of those RUM types that don't acknowledge Inva's as microcars. 

good point, I have sent him a message :) (I hope he does not mind me asking questions even tho I cant really buy it or really have need for it, I have however forwarded it to Stuart tho as His 1968 Harding actually uses Invacar/greeves front forks!)

although I think if he knew where it was from/what happened to the rest of the vehicle then he would know more accurately wether or not its an Invacar or Greeves item

im pretty sure from looking at some pictures that its from an Invacar Mk8 but im not 100% sure

19 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

gave him a call went to voice mail after ringing for a while, so left a message

and I have not heard anything back, ill contact BSM directly on Monday and see what they say

its a little bit concerning I hope nothing bad has happened to him!

just got a call back from him, turns for some reason as I feared my phone stopped receiving his text messages

dont ya just love technology! *sigh* deleting him as a contact and the message history etc then asking him to send me a test message has got it working again it seems

took the opportunity to discuss lessons with him during the phone call and have got a lesson booked in for Wednesday 2:30-4:30 PM so will be interesting to see how that goes :) 

I also got this email from BSM giving some official guidance regarding masks etc which is nice to have https://www.bsm.co.uk/covid-19-pupil-safety-advice

15 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

just got a call back from him, turns for some reason as I feared my phone stopped receiving his text messages

dont ya just love technology! *sigh* deleting him as a contact and the message history etc then asking him to send me a test message has got it working again it seems

took the opportunity to discuss lessons with him during the phone call and have got a lesson booked in for Wednesday 2:30-4:30 PM so will be interesting to see how that goes :) 

I also got this email from BSM giving some official guidance regarding masks etc which is nice to have https://www.bsm.co.uk/covid-19-pupil-safety-advice

He received your messages...
He probably didn’t wanna restart his life until he had had a haircut. ? 

no driving lesson yesterday as my instructor said he was not feeling well so postponed it to Friday (tomorrow)  so will see how that goes!

but In the meantime I got a very cool Helium Neon Laser tube kindly donated to me by @808 Estate thats been very fun to play with :) 

image.thumb.png.7829e6588a5eb806f83c1aea897d0e9b.png

and I also unearthed some more period Invacar pictures :) 

j6klc6jynpsjdknftmra.thumb.png.af055912e46ba18cf45278cc7592a22c.png

plus these from the same location  New Bott's Garage, Anstey apparently

its interesting to note the Mk12 poking into shot seems to have a non standard colour scheme as the windscreen surround etc is darker in colour then the body work and roof it seems?

shame the picture aint in colour! 

107761897_10158127345980831_6023407023193961434_n.thumb.jpg.c085527d090c5094378b7a79cc9958d6.jpg

and heres I think a later shot? from the same location shame the picture resolution  is not quite high enough to make out the reg of the Model 70, always curious to know the reg, see if its a survivor pictured in its past life or not etc :) 

106998681_10158127344505831_7109691159753906664_o.thumb.jpg.a1f3368cc4be03c38b59d259d67184b8.jpg

23 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Bott's Garage, Anstey

If you join the FB group 'Old Anstey Photos' you will see that there is a good amount of information on there about the Bott family and their garage. Some members of the Bott family are on there and may be pleased to provide more information about the history of their family's garage and its eventual role in servicing the invalid cars, if asked nicely!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/307755162718920/search/?query=bott&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Related to that is this FB post, which was also interesting:

so had my first driving lesson again after about 4 months finally

pleased to say it went pretty well! it really is as they say like learning to ride a bike you never forget! 

I did find the face mask made my glasses steam up more then one of @JimH's wagons but luckily I dont need my glasses to drive (yes they do correct my vision to a degree but I can thankfully still easily read a number plate from 20 meters away for example without them!)

so I took off the glasses and all was good so ill just leave them at home next lesson speaking of which thats on Tuesday where will see how I do with manoeuvres once more! 

today was just driving around to make sure I was back in the swing of things, which as mentioned went well :) (I did not regress in any way etc) 

not sure how many more lessons I "need' but I think we are more or less just waiting for DVSA to send that email for choosing a slot for my test

this also my 6000th post Woo! (and this was my 40th lesson, although the latter is probably not something to be celebrated LOL)

so have a picture of the queen looking at Stanley Argson electric :) 

GAW089.thumb.jpg.c4801c5ab6c89d7f7c21f76f1f11b85a.jpg

wonder which one it is/what its reg is, it has Teddy bear indicators so its quite likely a later one, or at least one that survived in service long enough to have them fitted

and heres some bonus pictures, of someone learning to drive in theres!

25440046_10214607583045950_5561625729889681567_o.thumb.jpg.7a3b8d8a39a0d958125346d0511d5259.jpg

and another for the buses and Invacars montage (reg is YVX289L if its hard to make out)

42258113_10157789019123502_2912432239839019008_n.jpg.9b197355bb869c73f6b1dac4e75a1824.jpg

today marks exactly 1 year since I bought/got REV, REV451R my very own Invacar Model 70 :) 

I had hoped id be on the road with her by now, but alas while that was not to be 

still many fun things have happened in that year from driving around the FoD in her, to actual driving lessons and many fun and interesting invalid vehicle discoveries! :) 

very helpfully rather fittingly (hah!) and coincidentally,  @Slowsilver and @Mrs6C as you have probably already seen, has kindly fitted 3 new tyres to REV (and Dolly) for me over the past couple days :) 

20200710_100618.jpg

20200710_100549.jpg

I am very happy pleased and thankful about this as Tyres are one of the Major road worthiness things I can finally tick off the list :) 

AFAIK the last Major roadworthiness road block on REV is getting her brakes working properly, this one is the one im most worried about because I understand how much a PITA brake work can be, I thankfully have most of the parts on hand in the parts stash needed to redo the entire braking system if needed at least! 

otherwise its just hopefully relatively easy to fix issues like getting all the electrical gremlins sorted (and of course give her a proper service and fluid change and greasing!) and sorting out the fuel system, but thats thankfully not complicated on the Model 70, its just one hose going from the tank back to the Fuel pump! (just hoping the fuel tank itself is serviceable!)

only other thing im a bit worried about is I hope REV's unplanned extended stay at the FoD has not lead to any further deterioration anywhere else (ie to the chassis or such like) she clearly needs a wash thats for sure!

there are obviously other issues like sorting out the wether proofing etc, but none of them are road worthiness issues AFAIK,

the main aim of the game currently is get REV road worthy so I can bring her home! (and obviously get myself a full driving licence so I can drive her!) then I can start worrying about those issues!

4 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Sounds like you’re sorted on the master cylinder front, but iirc it’s a 5/8” Girling CV with vertical flange and plastic reservoir you need? Sure we’ve got some of those in the Past Parts “graveyard” if you get stuck. Would obviously need reconditioning but that’s no problem.

is that for me or @Zelandeth? (just wondering given the brake master cylinder discussion on his thread)

either way thats appreciated :) ill continue to keep it in mind!

but yeah personally the spares stash list is to be believed

I im pretty sure it has all the parts to completely rebuild the brakes on REV if It was so necessary (I think the only thing I dont have is the actual brake pipe itself and maybe a couple simple unions here and there? which easy enough to get from a good motor factors AFAIK) 

so im pretty pleased about that :) 

its just im not sure what to do about it exactly, seeing how much of a PITA just a simple tyre swapping job turned out to be, I dont think anyone is (understandably so) going to want to do any sort of brake work on REV in her current location?

but the FoD is the only off road place I have for her, I cant bring her home until she is road worthy/legal

all this is not helped by the fact  that thanks to the situation at large I cant actually get down to the FoD! (I mean I can get to MKC just fine, but not without public transport which understandably makes people a bit twitchy)

I guess first thing is to try and figure out just what work she needs, whether its a complete overhaul or if all she needs is a fluid change and some simple tweaking on the brake shoe adjusters! (that would be nice wouldn't it!)

if anyone has any ideas regarding how I might go about getting the brakes on REV sorted please do let me know!