LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

24 minutes ago, davocano said:

Just found this on flickr.

32102002006_a794a8b171_c.jpg

London Transport MXX489 by Chris  Stanley, on Flickr

Ah the TEV-N block that was fun one with some amusing typos in it :) 

On 6/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Have you got TEV655N on your list? Saw it on an old photo on Flickr.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:36 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I dont actually, so thanks for posting that :) I dont even have any TEV-N Model 70,s on my list at all so I also thank you as its a new block to research :) (ie ill figure out when it started and when it ended then try and find one whos chassis number i can pull up then ill add it to the list of model 70 chassis numbers I have :)

(I thought I had scoped out all the invacars on flicker! clearly not! do you have a link to the photo? :) )

On 6/1/2019 at 11:45 PM, LightBulbFun said:

TEV-N was a fun block to look up, but sadly none (well see later) survived until 2002 at least so I dont know what chassis range they cover

LAWACAR :)

image.thumb.png.f462c006d1570cdd4e3306fec073d326.png

which you might need when you crash into something after spotting a really nice looking Model 70 and go "INVACOR" :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.65e2fdd87a9e365e27ce55d92535f368.png

a Random AC imposter also with strange tax, sadly cant pull this ones chassis number, also worth noting is the June 1982 Date of first registration, I notice on a lot of these random ACs in a block of Invacars or an Invacar in a block of ACs, that the date of registration is always a good few years after the year of manufacture for some reason.

image.thumb.png.d41fc7b29a976613de52300431d263ef.png

and then finally the DVLAs cat must of paid the keyboard a visit :)

image.thumb.png.4662c7a532088f8934098b6d25b87d9f.png

2 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

That's Kingston in Surrey, the traffic lights by the C and A store.  I remember it well.  l could be in that queue somewhere. 

I've been there to photograph RF's, a long, long time ago. Must see if there's an invacar in the photos (don't get too excited Dez!)

23 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

I've been there to photograph RF's, a long, long time ago. Must see if there's an invacar in the photos (don't get too excited Dez!)

haha that would be neat :) 

I have an Invacar find someone with an RF (and a Wolseley for good measure) and id happily recreate the shot! :mrgreen:

would be even cooler if theres a similar shot of a Model 70 next to a Routemaster tho :) 

of all the London buses Im interested in, the Routemaster is the im most enthusiastic about :)  

(I think im the only who goes "oooh Routemasters" still when going to bus shows etc LOL)

Plenty of RFs around there when I wuz a lad.  I was thinking about that having seen the photo, and I can remember the central area ones without doors, which would have been a bit earlier.  Also riding on the last trolleybuses, the first RMs, and ex BEA 5RF5s.(?)

I wondered if the Invacar was my workmate's, but his was deffo an AC.

Of course everything was in black and white in those days.

in other news 

for @MorrisItalSLX I managed to unearth a rear shot of the invacar Mk8B 

interesting to note although the lights are spaced for a UK plate, the only holes I see seem to me a bit low down for a UK plate?

would be interesting to see what your thoughts are :) 

73114474_2530249287292573_3480309663210143744_n.thumb.jpg.d8e36e56198122563f294d38767d6638.jpg

I also unearthed an electric argson a long way from home! 

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/stanley/unspecified/amp/2114460.html

62868826-770-0.thumb.jpg.a3726220d743176fa620551f12e25b93.jpg

im surprised ian hellings has not snapped it up for his extensive collection

would be fun to see someone here get it, perhaps a fun project for @PhilA ? :) 

Speaking from the perspective of a New South Welshman, number plate hole spacing is as follows:

Pre 1937: No pre drilled holes

1937 - 1951: (See BJ400) 4 sets of holes, 177mm (US Standard) top and bottom, plus 165mm (Australian Standard) top and bottom.

1951 - 1980: (See BYF916) 4 sets of holes, 165mm (Australian Standard) top and bottom, plus 347mm (corner to corner) top and bottom.

1980 - Present: (See H53583) 4 sets of holes, 165mm (Australian Standard) top only, plus 347mm (corner to corner) top and bottom, plus 210mm (Japanese Standard) top only.

Note: Top hole to bottom hole spacing is 108mm for all hole sets that are on the top and bottom of the plate.

Other Australian states and territories use the same hole spacing, but the dates of change differ slightly from NSW. All states and territories currently use the 1980 onwards NSW pattern (hole in each corner, plus Australian and Japanese standards on the top of the plate).

822B2628-B40E-4F05-91A8-8F8D9A455B07.thumb.jpeg.34342e23800d5dc5a1b46ad523c00c02.jpeg

5 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Speaking from the perspective of a New South Welshman, number plate hole spacing is as follows:

Pre 1937: No pre drilled holes

1937 - 1951: (See BJ400) 4 sets of holes, 177mm (US Standard) top and bottom, plus 165mm (Australian Standard) top and bottom.

1951 - 1980: (See BYF916) 4 sets of holes, 165mm (Australian Standard) top and bottom, plus 347mm (corner to corner) top and bottom.

1980 - Present: (See H53583) 4 sets of holes, 165mm (Australian Standard) top only, plus 347mm (corner to corner) top and bottom, plus 210mm (Japanese Standard) top only.

Note: Top hole to bottom hole spacing is 108mm for all hole sets that are on the top and bottom of the plate.

Other Australian states and territories use the same hole spacing, but the dates of change differ slightly from NSW. All states and territories currently use the 1980 onwards NSW pattern (hole in each corner, plus Australian and Japanese standards on the top of the plate).

822B2628-B40E-4F05-91A8-8F8D9A455B07.thumb.jpeg.34342e23800d5dc5a1b46ad523c00c02.jpeg

ah very interesting looks like it was indeed registered  down under at least! imagine wafting along in your Jag and some mad man in an Overpowered Invacar fly's past at 60-70Mph LOL

(aka what is known as the A127 commute when Derry was still alive/working at Invacar :) )

but going by the absence of other holes I really do wonder if it was sent/sold directly to someone in Australia when new!

although I just have recalled that the Mk8 used a Square format rear plate as seen here

101973429_10157477245532684_68717784518885376_o.jpg

in other news I have confirmed these Model 70's are indeed @st185cs's Model 70's :) 

104167601_2840103849450148_84806059899497926_n.thumb.jpg.2c45e61ea25fc21192b4932d4a49421e.jpg

have to ask any current plans with regards to them? would be very cool to see more from the field return to the road along side TWC and TPA :) 

couple days ago I came across this webpage who's AC invalid vehicle description is actually pretty decent compared to what you normally find on the internet about british invalid vehicles!

http://www.autopasion18.com/HISTORIA-AC.htm

but excitedly there looks to be a picture of BPK646H on there one of the few surviving Model 67's out there, but one I did not have a picture of until now!

its a shame the picture is so low rez but im pretty sure its BPK646H!

image.png.d3d728cfffd6c7dee9e0921fb6db983a.png

and now I have a picture of it I have of course added it to the survivors list :) sadly although it thankfully survives its been long exported to the US I think (it has an export marker from the 20th of the 3rd 1990)

@st185cs ya have been papped again! LOL 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/permalink/2802815626706651/

twice in such a short span of time whats the chances of that! :) 

(once more thanks to @Zie for the tip off, I did join the group exactly so I could keep an eye on all things invacar, but i was busy fiddling with old computers when it was posted so I very much appreciate @Zie tip off still :)

heres one very much for @Datsuncog!

image.thumb.png.71764f7000ea496281a4a9841cbb4a3a.png

exciting times! potentially a new NI Model 70 to add to the list

I really hope its TOI8137 because that is the very last AC Model 70 off the production line! which would be very exiting if it survives!

(I had wondered when he said 1979 if it was UOI4719 but alas it does not look to be)

for those wondering SOI7570 is thought to be the Last Invacar Model 70 off the production line, and excitingly Im almost positive it still exists!, it does have a Scrapped marker from 2003, however the picture I have seen of it seems to be later then 2003, I do want to contact the company who has the picture and find out the exact details! tho!)

got this email earlier this evening :) 

1157092384_Screenshot2020-06-25at19_31_55.thumb.png.37b0188382ecfc7e1e0ac1c244d8befc.png

nice to know when Lessons will/can restart, hopefully my driving school/instructor follow suit, and im happy they are allowing a bit of breathing space between lessons restarting and tests restarting

should hopefully give me enough time to figure out what I want to do exactly!

heres the link from the email https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-lessons-theory-tests-and-driving-tests-to-restart-in-england

That's great news! :-)

To celebrate, how about some online spottings of early invalid carriages and trikes... no Model 70s but a fair sprinkling of others with which you will be familiar...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-49452936/derby-war-memorial-village-opens-to-new-residents
OPJ422 - invalid carriage (convertible!)

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/lc_168/
TPC205

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/wp-content/uploads/assets/cheshiresmiles/Volume - 05_11.pdf
Page 15 - read the article: ' 'Possum's First Car'
Page 25 - there is mention in the article on boating of a resident having an Invacar and travelling to the boat in it

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2004/sep/01/guardianobituaries.socialcare
No invalid cars here, but the obituary of Lewis Carter-Jones, labour MP and champion of rights for the disabled, who was the Chairman of the Possum Research Foundation that produced the car mentioned in 'Possum's First Car'.

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/lc_170/
OPL478 and four other trikes

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/uk_24_009/
An Invalid car in the background!

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/lc_197/
A man in an adapted motorcycle...

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

That's great news! :-)

To celebrate, how about some online spottings of early invalid carriages and trikes... no Model 70s but a fair sprinkling of others with which you will be familiar...

very cool stuff its been very interesting going through/reading that lot thank you for sharing :) 

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

OPJ422 is an AC All Weather Tricycle, I know funky looking things from the rear very square! (certainly not what i expected the first time i saw the rear of one given the curved/pointy front!)

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

TPC205, is actually YPC205 its a VERY early (the earliest one I have seen!) Stanley Harper Mk1, funnily enough I had actually just come across that picture a couple weeks early but not in such high rez :) 

(it took a little bit of fiddling with the URL to get the original image and not one scaled down, but whoever scanned these images in thankfully did so and uploaded them in at 600DPI great for zooming in and making out registrations :) I have re uploaded them to the forum for safe keeping, the forum does down sample them a bit but you can still zoom in pretty well) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3055448477831427/

image.thumb.png.014a0f2e1df35c397947a8a2185ea13f.png

the Invalid carriage next to it is funnily enough a Stanley Argson electric :) 

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/wp-content/uploads/assets/cheshiresmiles/Volume - 05_11.pdf
Page 15 - read the article: ' 'Possum's First Car'
Page 25 - there is mention in the article on boating of a resident having an Invacar and travelling to the boat in it

that Milk-float turned invalid vehicle really is quite something! sadly it seems to have been robbed of its number plate at some point in time I wonder what happened to it?

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

OPL478 is another AC All weather tricycle :) but im mostly trying to figure what the steering wheeled contraption is! AFAIK the Model 70 was the first invalid vehicle to come with a full steering wheel so this is very interesting to see

image.thumb.png.824dcf7fb21a77e22892eea34b989f2f.png

BFB742 is a Bath registration so I want to say its a Harding Deluxe, somewhat modified clearly!

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/uk_24_009/
An Invalid car in the background!

no rear engine vents (or an exhaust!) tell me this is a Model 64 :) fittingly on L plates!

image.thumb.png.84f9da602cdd845ff12354bf52effaec.png

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

https://rewind.leonardcheshire.org/object/lc_197/
A man in an adapted motorcycle...

and finally another Stanley Argson Electric :) 

image.thumb.png.afb11c92b286cd5bf66e50d060b7f2f8.png

1 hour ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Have you seen this one yet?

oh thats Very interesting! thats VPF441M now with Simon Mckeown :) thank you very much for the heads up!

On 2/23/2019 at 12:15 PM, LightBulbFun said:

VPF441M, AC, Date of first registration 11 June 1974, Current status: with Simon Mckeown of the invalid carriage register untaxed since 1st August 2004, Date of last V5C (logbook) issued, 3 February 1999

mk70.jpg

I never knew it ended up in the classifieds at some point, I know it had an interesting history that im still trying to put together, but somethings did not add up (still dont quite! ) and going by its Aug 2004 tax due date I had just assumed it did end its days as a late service Ministry car so to speak but clearly thats not the case!

On 6/24/2020 at 8:02 PM, sdkrc said:

IMG_20200624_105229.jpg

if im reading things correctly this Classified ad is from 1998 which lines up with its last Keeper change, (interesting it was Marked Scrapped on the 17th of the 7th 1995, scrapped markers normally vanish if theres a keeper change after the date/ie you show its not scrapped)

image.png.15b603449f9001c2cc51afd0aeb15d47.png

I will say one thing, someones got brass balls selling it in 1998! that would have very much been stolen government property back then LOL but luckily it has escaped any reg shenanigans and all its details match up :) (I have seen its chassis number on both its VIN plate and chassis itself)

as a side note when I saw it was a classified ads post you where linking to I was kinda hoping you found the MCA Trike, but still very cool to know more of VPF :) always very exciting to learn more history of anyones invalid vehicle! :) 

image.png

"after 147 lessons and nearly two years" I hope thats not a sign of things to come or some sort of Curse of the invacar LOL

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

well nothing stopped you buying/selling one back then, its just if it was not a private example like REV is (which VPF441M is not)

then it very much was stolen government property!, and the IVS/DHSS could well snatch it back from you! so the seller had some balls selling it like that! (not to mention I imagine there would have been a bit of an investigation into how it escaped and someone along that chain would get reprimanded) 

its why most government Invalid vehicles sold privately back then before ~2004 where rung, to stop them being traced/taken back by the IVS/DHSS! and it was sadly this sort of shenanigans and the illegitimate owners doing stupid things with their invacars caused the IVS/DHSS to clamp down even harder on their policy of "mutilate beyond economic repair"

which spelt the death knell for many much rarer makes and models of invalid vehicles, where sadly no examples are known to survive today

of course thankfully none of this is an issue now and after 2004 any invalid vehicles which somehow survived became public domain in effect, as the department that owned them ceased to exist and the government in general does not care about them in that way anymore 

1 hour ago, quicksilver said:

Wow, that's a bit cheeky. Either it stayed below the radar or the government just didn't care as the fact it still exists suggests they never bothered to reclaim it. I wonder how long it's been in private ownership, possibly since that last V5 was issued in 1999.

dragging this over to my thread as theres some more info on VPF here and to stop people getting twitchy!

I did a bit of digging and dug up some of VPF's history I was told a while back although the wording is not very clear,  it sounds like the IVS did actually try and take it back, but the last keeper contested stedfast refused to give it back and somehow kept it and and ran around with it (on L plates?) until he crashed it!  

that last part I know is true as although its hard to see but there is damage to the front side, I guess it was T boned? (either that or someone did a reverse J turn into a lamp post LOL funnily enough supposedly the gearbox is stuck in reverse! so who knows!)

I never knew it was sold back in 98, until now,  I had wondered when I was told the person refused to give it back if that was referring to the end of the IVS scheme 2004! I guess its just a coincidence in this case that its tax ran out in 04! because I had wondered if there where any long time Invacar users who at the end in 2003/2004 tried to refuse giving back their trike!

it is interesting to note that the advert says "thats my granddad used it for" I have to wonder if it was issued to his Grandad by the IVS/DHSS, but then at some point something happened and he simply transferred the V5 to his name!

"oh poor grandads passed away, ill take his invacar" and they got to it before the DHSS could take it back LOL

because remember vehicles issued to users on a permeant bases where put into that persons name, (its a very good example of registered keeper does not mean owner!)

but nothing would stop you transferring the keepership to someone else, although I imagine the IVS/DHSS would not be happy with you if ya did! but if the poor guy died nothing would stop you taking the V5 and doing a keeper transfer with it!

the only thing I dont know sadly is, who held the V5 paperwork physically, I dont know if it was something the user had, or if it was stored on file somewhere at the IVS/DHSS or at the AR responsible for maintaining it, or the ALAC that issued it etc

as a side note, while "season ticket for all matches" makes me laugh it also makes me wonder, where Invalid vehicle users granted free access to football matches? I sort of assumed they still had to pay for tickets! just they where allowed to park near the pitch but I dont know tbh! football is not really my thing!

also reminds me of the question I have wondered about/mentioned in the past that is, when was the practice of allowing invalid vehicles pitch side stopped? ,or is it still technically allowed? LOL

30 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Why not write to football clubs to see if they have any data, especially if there are photographs or film footage of three wheelers on the touchline?

yeah I could and probably will in time for the reasons you mention, but I was just wondering if anyone here knew anything off hand :) 

this is exciting! 

just got a whole bunch of photos etc on the Mystery NI Model 70 :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/carsyoudontseeanymore/permalink/2806238413031039/

looks like its UOI8850, under going some serious restoration! out of necessity it looks like, as it was dragged out of the undergrowth after 20 years (or even longer I suspect going by its 1991 scrapped marker) which has clearly not been kind to it sadly

but its very cool to see a Model 70 get some love and a new survivor especially a northern Ireland one :) 

also if im not mistaken pressed metal Serck plates FTW (cc @MorrisItalSLX )

image.thumb.png.e2cbe88bc2c822a8c60547a5908b46f8.png