LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

2 minutes ago, Faker said:

Only seeing this now. I was offered an invacar and it was indeed gig. I dragged my heels and it went to another chap. There's two in N.I. and a fella called Sam is mid restoration with one. I don't know if his is gig or a different one... 

ah good to know I think that means we are all on the same page, :)  as it was Sam (the guy with UOI8850, and the wrong shade of blue Ex elmsleigh invacar one) who put the chap in contact with me

reminds me need to ask adam what his plan for the left over bits from the KPL-TPE bundle are, since I know sam needs some body work, and check in with sam to see how he is doing with UOI8850

2 hours ago, Mr Laurence said:

another one thats been very interesting for my on going DVLA research on account of its pictured V5

632533769_s-l1600(30).thumb.jpg.c4a13163e9a64bfb2006d708fda01c26.jpg

which is now the oldest V5 I have seen Im pretty sure dating to 1975!, and as a result has been very interesting to study

first thing to note, is that on the DVLA it says Date of last V5c issued not available, now I mainly assumed this was because of the Pre 1982 data purge the DVLA did many years ago

but its worth noting that no where on the V5c is a date, however I know from at least 1978 that V5's had a date of issue on them and this does line up with the earliest "Date of last v5c issued" I have seen

so it seems like the earliest V5's where really issued with no date attached to them, hence why theres no date available on the DVLA for last V5c issue since that field was just never recorded on the earliest V5's

and the other very interesting thing that the 11 digit number still works to this very day, and confirms the 11 digit number has been a thing since day 1 of the V5 it seems :) 

I was able to check the taxation rates with it no problem! (for which you need the last 11 digit number for a vehicle)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFoundWithV5C-2020-12-12-23_46_21.thumb.png.3e31ae820da9eeccaaefc52640630f3d.png

I had often theorised that despite what people say, that V5's never expire and that regardless of how old said v5 is that if its the latest for that vehicle record it will always work

and its very cool to see that is the case especially from my computer enthusiast stand point as the whole DVLA computerisation dates back to the Mid 1970's (October 1974) we are probably talking room filling mainframes here (it would be very interesting to hear if anyone does know exactly what computer system the DVLA used back in the day?)

so its very neat to see just what structures and systems are still the same today having been bounced around migrated to countless newer computer systems over the years

and thirdly, its interesting how although I can check the taxation rates it cant actually give me rates, despite the vehicle being in the "private" taxation class

although I do know that some taxation classes changed/became defunct over time, so maybe this is one of the defunct ones hence why it cant give me a rate? but I cant recall which ones where made defunct

Here's some info which may have a clue or two about the early computers at Swansea -

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500254769/DVLA-brings-IT-back-in-house-after-decades-of-outsourcing

And for the historically inclined here's some pictures taken when the DVLA was being built and first opened -

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/gallery/20-pictures-tell-story-dvla-8804551

RDHR_MAI_090315dvla3_13.jpg

LBF - get yourself down there.

1_RDHR_MAI_090315dvla3_11.jpg

Dear Autoshitist,

I'm sorry your documents have not been received/have been lost/were eaten by the dog.

Yours Blodwyn Jones

27 minutes ago, martc said:

Here's some info which may have a clue or two about the early computers at Swansea -

https://www.computerweekly.com/news/4500254769/DVLA-brings-IT-back-in-house-after-decades-of-outsourcing

And for the historically inclined here's some pictures taken when the DVLA was being built and first opened -

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/gallery/20-pictures-tell-story-dvla-8804551

RDHR_MAI_090315dvla3_13.jpg

LBF - get yourself down there.

1_RDHR_MAI_090315dvla3_11.jpg

'Dear Autoshitist, I'm sorry your documents have not been received/have been lost/were eaten by the dog. Yours Blodwyn Jones

sadly neither give any details on the early hardware, but id not be surprised it was some IBM mainframe type affair but it does go further back then Thatcher, with the DVLC taking over from local county councils and computerising in October 1974 (with all registration's series resetting to Gxx-N)

I have actually came across the 2nd link before while researching things, its fun to note that im pretty sure the light fixtures are of the same type that now light TPA in @Zelandeth's garage :) 

on a similar note another thing im curious about is how where the DVLC's local vehicle registration offices connected to the main DVLC computer system, was it over some sort of primitive network over phone lines?

a sort of early/permeative private internet (well, intranet in this case!)

or where things recorded locally then physically moved to the main DVLC computer every say month or so

4 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

or where things recorded locally then physically moved to the main DVLC computer every say month or so

Possibly! When I started work in the late 90's an organisation I worked with/for was still sending physical back-ups by courrier moped!

Andrew on the Daf Owners forum has found a 2 cylinder capable rev counter, useful for the Invacars ! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M83MORY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think he is @Andrew353w on here. 

https://dafcars.proboards.com/thread/3805/cylinder-rev-counter

7 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Andrew on the Daf Owners forum has found a 2 cylinder capable rev counter, useful for the Invacars ! 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M83MORY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think he is @Andrew353w on here. 

https://dafcars.proboards.com/thread/3805/cylinder-rev-counter

ah very cool find! not too expensive and easy to hook up will definitely have to keep it in mind

I wonder if @Zelandeth can fit one to TPAs little gauge cluster he has set up? :) 

(as a side note IIRC @PhilA sent @dollywobbler a 2 Cylinder compatible rev counter, but I dont think anything was done with it sadly)

in more Model 70 news the Ex elmsleigh invacar, Model 70  "WPD607G" has been getting some love :) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/3566547763388160/

image.thumb.png.c2ffc2f887aa6ac700dbebe6a9c3338f.png

image.thumb.png.2f78a3e22d01a4f8ea126f358dc39374.png

image.thumb.png.89a4fdca28bf92c37d2b6eda180bb418.png

27 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

I'm on a group on Facebook and someone has spotted a model 70 parked up . Not sure if you know about it . But it's reg is KPL252P.

Ohh thats very interesting got a link/any pictures?

KPL11P-KPL210P is a block of Model 70's so KPL-P is right but 252 is strange unless its a private example which makes it all the more interesting

but sadly KPL252P does not turn anything up on the DVLA so I dont know if its correct or not (obviously if it turned up as something other then a Model 70 then id know its not correct)

42 minutes ago, lanciamatt said:

I'm on a group on Facebook and someone has spotted a model 70 parked up . Not sure if you know about it . But it's reg is KPL252P.

ah thanks to a tip off by @dollywobbler

do you mean this one? :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1964532800535954/permalink/2882590555396836/

On 13/01/2020 at 01:43, LightBulbFun said:

and finally I came across a nice gallery of pictures of KPC525P, I knew of KPC525P beforehand but did not have any pictures until now, now I can add it to my survivors list :) 

http://autopaedia.com/en/galleries/Invacar_Ltd/Invacar.php

Invacar_S-type_1948-1977_(1975_minicar)_(01)_-AC1-.jpg.58b37e19a1a808cf2b39190c98080009.jpg

(I also want to make contact with the website that features this one, as I know its a survivor but I dont know much else about it otherwise sadly, other then it has an Export marker, i'm not even sure if KPC525P is actually KPC525P bonus points if you can spot what makes me doubt its identity :) )

of all the pictures in that facebook post im actually most pleased to see this one

image.thumb.png.2f1af35cb8d2257be3feb03fcd9f3dc3.png

because the AC Blue chassis paint tells me that this is likely KPC 525P, despite what the Invacar badge and 12 inch wheels suggest! 

(tho obviously proper chassis number shots would be good to fully verify things!)

continuing the Model 70 news I have been informed GTW614N's V5c has arrived today :) 

not sure how I missed it as I swear I checked it recently but indeed upon checking it just now it shows the last V5 as being issued 10th December 2020 :) 

I must of missed it as I know the DVLA checker updates within a day or so of any detail changes etc, speaking of it looks like you cant proactively change the taxation class to historic vehicle with the V62 as it still came back in the Disabled taxation class, so still just a case of sending the V5 right back LOL but at least he can correct the engine size while he is at it!

1032413000_Screenshot2020-12-14at21_05_23.thumb.png.c9f3bf6d74f1728eed8610cc90e56e45.png

its worth noting just how quick it was, only a couple weeks since the V62 application for it was sent off which is quite curious, because I thought the DVLA send a letter off to the previous keeper and wait 6 weeks before issuing a V5 to the new keeper

unless the letter came back undeliverable or maybe there is an option on the letter to say "oh yeah im no longer the keeper, feel free to issue a V5 to the new keeper" but I have sadly never seen one of these letters before so im sadly not sure what they say exactly

I did make sure to save a screenshot of the page how it stood before for archival sake :) 

1389292076_Screenshot2020-11-29at11_22_43.thumb.png.473908d3205970dc07d050457a46c6e8.png

8 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Ohh thats very interesting got a link/any pictures?

KPL11P-KPL210P is a block of Model 70's so KPL-P is right but 252 is strange unless its a private example which makes it all the more interesting

but sadly KPL252P does not turn anything up on the DVLA so I dont know if its correct or not (obviously if it turned up as something other then a Model 70 then id know its not correct)

Ye sorry , looks like I wrote it wrong .

have been wondering about this for a while, and spurred on by the discussion of head lamps on Zels thread finally decided to ask about

but I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on bullet connectors vs spade terminal crimps?

when I was last at the FoD having a poke at REV's lack of working rear lights I noticed some expected, rather crusty bullet connectors and was planning to just lop them off and replace them with some spade connectors

but a couple good shitters recommended just replacing the little tubular bit the bullets themselves go into as thats the bit that goes crusty since its made of steel where as the bullets are brass

which seems fair enough, but i am curious what the general consensus is on bullets vs just fitting a set of spade terminals or such?

(I know spade terminals are commonly used in normal electrics, but I know automotive electrics is a bit of a diffrent ball game with much harsher conditions working at lower voltages with higher currents)

4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

but a couple good shitters recommended just replacing the little tubular bit the bullets themselves go into as thats the bit that goes crusty since its made of steel where as the bullets are brass

I would go with that.  Don't modify anything from standard unless you have to, and if the bullets themselves are OK, just replace the tubular sockets.

Personally I'd go for a nice soldered bullet connection if that was the original fitting. The bullets will clean up nicely with some  wet or dry paper and the tubular sockets also respond quite well to a rolled up bit passed back and forth through them. The bullets can be resoldered if required. They give a more robust connection which is good in an environment of vibration and variable climate and heavier duty for applications like headlamps. Most vehicle electrical wiring just needs a good clean up, end-to-end, in order to work happily again. Wet or dry paper and a systematic approach will be your friends here.

On 12/13/2020 at 5:40 PM, LightBulbFun said:

sadly neither give any details on the early hardware, but id not be surprised it was some IBM mainframe type affair but it does go further back then Thatcher, with the DVLC taking over from local county councils and computerising in October 1974 (with all registration's series resetting to Gxx-N)

You mean like...

12179375_Screenshot_20201216-0029482.thumb.png.9a4262363194ba8d7a6b60df96bbbb22.png

DVLA computer spat this out earlier while I was bashing out potential matches for a partially obscured plate on Vulgalour's Wedgister thread (turns out it was JPU33N).

Didn't know that about the '74 switchover!

13 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

You mean like...

12179375_Screenshot_20201216-0029482.thumb.png.9a4262363194ba8d7a6b60df96bbbb22.png

DVLA computer spat this out earlier while I was bashing out potential matches for a partially obscured plate on Vulgalour's Wedgister thread (turns out it was JPU33N).

Didn't know that about the '74 switchover!

indeed thats part of the GPU21N-GPU70N block

which is actually has more to do with the Gxx-N computer take over reset mentioned above then you might think, because remember Ministry machines where always registered in blocks, and guess what this whole reset happened right as Invacar where in the middle of registering an existing block!

and the DVLC being the DVLC voided all prior reserved registrations that had not yet been issued to an actual vehicle yet, which really messed things up for the next couple blocks and a half of Invacar Model 70's

the last block before the change over was the the TVW501N-TVW600N block of Model 70's and it got utterly decimated by it, and it took the GEV-N and GPU-N blocks to finally sort it out

as although the TVW501N-TVW601N block had been reserved, not all the TVW-N cars where actually registered by October 1st 1974, at which point the DVLC took over and voided all reserved registrations

so the block ends at TVW577N even within TVW501N-TVW577N not all the Model 70's had been registered yet and where you see missing cars in between TVW501N-TVW577N they can be found in the GEV459N-GEV559N block and the cars displaced from that block, by those late would be TVW-N cars where then  formed into the GPU21N-GPU70N short block

with things only finally returning to normal with the GTW525N-GTW624N block

let me tell you figuring out the whole TVW-N to GPU-N mess was a fun one LOL (and at first we did not even realise it encompassed the TVW-N block because we just thought the holes in it where simply cars that did not survive long enough to make it onto or stay on the DVLA system)

for those wondering, it seems AC had a bit of foresight into this and avoid such a fluster cluck, with the last block before Oct 1974 being XPH541N-XPH640N which if you notice is only 100 cars long (an AC block is usually 200 cars long) with the next block being the GPB462N-GPB661N block :)

(I was going to include this "snippet" in my original post above about the reset to Gxx-N but you can see why I did not in the end as I realised it was turning out to be a bit more then just a snippet!)

but getting back to JPU33N

it would be rude of me not to share this :) 

D5PXY8.thumb.jpg.061c4303bfd3f58349498b0d7690724d.jpg

D5PXY1.thumb.jpg.c226c9a616dae1cf5f8286aba58688b1.jpg