LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence!

here https://www.enginecentre.com/

iv seen it mentioned a few times elsewhere on the interwebs, but it would never work for me until today

but now its back to its not working state where if you put any reg in the page just loads for a bit before refreshing itself

if it works for someone can you try YVX206L please :) im curious what the date of last keeper change is on that given its not taxed for on road status

(I sadly didn't get a chance to run it before the website broke again, it could also be that iv hit some sort of look up limit that its not telling me about but I tried from another computer tethered to my phone and got nothing still)

yeah I tried a few web browsers

its weird, iv known about the website for a few months now, and everytime I come across it again in my search for a site that will give me VIN/Chassis numbers from UK registration numbers

id chuck a registration or 2 into it to see if it does anything, and today it actually did work for about 5 minutes before breaking again *sad face*

Have you not thought of getting a job as an archivist/data entry/spreadsheet compiler etc etc? Seems your energies would be better spent while earning money for lessons and Invacar repairs rather than staying up all night looking up vin numbers for scrapped cars.

40 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

Have you not thought of getting a job as an archivist/data entry/spreadsheet compiler etc etc? Seems your energies would be better spent while earning money for lessons and Invacar repairs rather than staying up all night looking up vin numbers for scrapped cars.

when Life allows it I plan to get a job in the computer industry as thats the 1 hobby/thing I enjoy that is actually applicable to getting a job

the Chassis numbers from those scrapped Invacars have helped me get other Invacars either back on the road or a better chance at returning to the road :) and also fill out the gaps in the production history of the Model 70 :)

I made a post about REV etc on the retro rides forum, since I signed up to thank the guy for posting that Model 64 VIN plate/trailer stuff

I figured it would be rude not to make a post about my own exploits 

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/210592/1976-invacar-model-general-ramblings

who knows I might get horribly lynched, either way should provide some entertainment for you guys if nothing else :)

but hopefully this will broaden the awareness of all things invacar :)

Thanks good to know it makes some vague sense! it took me a couple days to throw together :) (I really should of given myself a few more days to recover from the weekend before writing the post, so yeah happy it still came out good LOL)

one of my main hopes with the post is to to debunk/correct a lot of the miss information thats out there when it comes to invacars

if there's one thing I learnt during all of this is that a lot of info about invacars on the internet is just down right false/not true LOL so hopefully I can correct that somewhat :)

hence the "Q&A" thing at the start of the post (also because I have seen what a lot of people always ask when people first post about invacars on a public forum)

Woop website is working again! YVX206L is a weird one, AFAIK the first keeper of all Government invacars was Invacar themselves (unless companies could register a vehicle without being its first owner? I know REV does not have invacar as her first registered keeper but rev is a private example) and then they would of been handed off to the government for them to do as they please

236870225_Screenshot2019-08-14at10_15.23copy.thumb.png.f6c276a834a27c815bb5436e649d919e.png

so it looks like YVX206L never left Invacar for one reason or another? (either that or the records are slightly messed up and its putting date of first registration as the last keeper change, but for the more normal stuff, it does show correctly, like TWCs last keeper change is shown as 2017 with 3 previous owners)

(I specficly looked up YVX206L as its one with the "not taxed for on road use" and one whos chassis number i was able to pull using my other tools, so I was curious if it was a survivor flying under the radar like LVX293J looks to be)

there is an engine number but I have hid it

18 hours ago, ZombiePaul said:

Hi, I'm a member now 😁

It was me that told @dollywobbler about the garage, I remember them 'roosting' around the back of the garage, when I used to take my NHS supplied pedal trike in for repair.

I'm glad than you found the photos useful

Oh Cool! do you remember much about your pedal trike?

from what little info there is out there on these things, the last "hand propelled" Tricycles was the Model 33 produced by harding until 1978 ending production about when the Model 70 also ended production

http://rumcars.org/forum/index.php?topic=4147.msg31492#msg31492

Dez, just a word of advise regarding the intensive courses.

Knowing how frazzled an afternoon of driver trainer can leave me feeling, I reckon you would struggle with it.  Especially given the issues you have with muscle tension when you're dealing with stressful situations.

I reckon get at least a few normal lessons first and see how it goes.  I'd hate to see you commit to one of those courses and have to bail after a day or two on medical grounds because you were coming apart at the seams and couldn't hold the clutch down.

that is a very valid concern! and something I have been thinking about (especially after driving a couple normal cars again) as yeah I had my left leg spazz out on me (quite literally) when trying to drive the BX, it really is quite frustrating

for that reason (and obviously just to see how good or bad the school/instructor is before lumping down a load of cash) my plan is to book a regular lesson or a few and see how those go, and then work out some sort of plan etc

Not gone back through to page 1 - but do you know of the one that was at Coventry Museum Of Transport?

29412975440_41ea997157_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21450222825_200d0a97fb_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21458728001_2e63158cd0_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21262392868_29d62dd1bf_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

20827532284_c458910d89_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

Registration TJN352R 
Make INVACAR
Date of first registration  29 July 1977
Cylinder capacity 493cc - PETROL
Vehicle status Tax not due 
Vehicle colour BLUE
Wheelplan 3 WHEEL - TRICYCLE

Yes,that was the last one in service.

mr lbf,don't know if you've already come across this reg series,but here's a pic of one used by a friend of my Aunts,was used quite near the end,I think the pics were taken in 2002,I believe at the time she told me there were around 18 left in use or something like.Its got an Invacar badge on the front.

image.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

Not gone back through to page 1 - but do you know of the one that was at Coventry Museum Of Transport?

29412975440_41ea997157_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21450222825_200d0a97fb_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21458728001_2e63158cd0_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

21262392868_29d62dd1bf_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

20827532284_c458910d89_o.jpg1977 INVACAR 493cc TJN352R by Jonathan, on Flickr

Registration TJN352R 
Make INVACAR
Date of first registration  29 July 1977
Cylinder capacity 493cc - PETROL
Vehicle status Tax not due 
Vehicle colour BLUE
Wheelplan 3 WHEEL - TRICYCLE

aye im well aware of that one :) but I appreciate you posting it :) 

@dollywobbler grabbed some detailed photos of it but im still waiting for those

it has the same floor mounted handbrake mechanism that Dolly (OPH868R)

TJN352R was the Last Model 70 in Ministry service, its user Marion webb, married to Dennis webb the owner of REV451R my Model 70 at one point :)

I do wonder if there's any pictures from back in the day of REV and TJN parked together (Marion webb had TJN352R from 1979 to 2004, and dennis webb owned REV451R from 1985 to 2000 so they definitely over lapped :)

2 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

Yes,that was the last one in service.

mr lbf,don't know if you've already come across this reg series,but here's a pic of one used by a friend of my Aunts,was used quite near the end,I think the pics were taken in 2002,I believe at the time she told me there were around 18 left in use or something like.Its got an Invacar badge on the front.

image.jpeg

very cool not seen that picture before :) , curious that it had an Invacar badge on the front, as its an AC Model 70, also rather curiously comes up as "AC 70" on the DVLA I have seen a couple other AC Model 70's show up as such, but its not common at all

also Almost snap! :mrgreen:

invalidcar.jpg.4099b6c7cfe99736428c4c9bc20bacba.jpg

@Mrs6C Model 70 is also a close relative, OPH868R :)

Oops! LOL

image.thumb.png.6ea4a88f7ac101cbcd45f987ae0dd28f.png

it was playing ball for most of today, but now its back to its old broken tricks (worth noting that when it is playing ball it will only do so if the vehicle was recently taxed or so, not quite figured out the cut off point, but I cant look up any 2003-2004 Model 70's for example nor can I pull up JHJ548N)

sadly it does not report on any keeper details at all for the NI Model 70's but it did tell me their engine numbers and WOI654's engine number matches with whats on its VIN plate :) (and i also grabbed the engine numbers for the other NI Model 70's I know of)

I think YVX206Ls keeper details weirdness are a result of something else rather then it actually not having a keeper change since it was made, as 1940PE an AC Acedes that is also not taxed for on road use also reports 0 keeper changes and last keeper change being the same as its date of first registration 

9 minutes ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

May I just interject here to congratulate you on 2000 posts in this thread. Your efforts towards the Model 70 are most notable and are nothing short of tremendous.

Hah cool I didn't notice that :) thanks, yeah im quite pleased with myself if im allowed to say so with what I have managed to do for invacars, they are fascinating vehicles where there's sadly hardly any information out there about them and im proud to say on this forum at least I have managed to change that somewhat :)  

for example at the start of this thread it was Thought private Model 70's weren't a thing, but here we are a year later and I freaking own one :mrgreen: 

but there's still a lot to learn and discover :)

also yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of this thread! 

I do still plan to go hunt around for that Model 70 once I get REV451R on the road! (because yes it still bugs me as to what happened to that Model 70 LOL)

at least telling people what im looking for will be easy

"whats this car your looking for around here look like then?"

"it looks exactly like what im driving!" :mrgreen: 

(im also coming up to 3000 posts myself :) )

also so much for invacars being "just a phase" well its been a year and this thread aint slowing down any! :)

just got through the NVW-P block, I realised I never actually did that one, probably because at the time I had more important blocks to look up etc

but while I have access to a site that can at least pull Invacar chassis numbers I figured I should go round double check all the pictures etc I have incase theres any from my early days whos blocks I have not done yet :) 

if it sounds familiar because NVW213P features in this Model 70 brochure :) (I do wonder where exactly this came from...)

invacar1.jpg

its from NVW155P to NVW254P, 3 survived into chassis number look up range

(as a side note im thinking of kindly emailing the whomademybike guys and seeing if they can fix their reg to Vin number thingy so it works with AC model 70's as I mentioned before it does not seem to like any vehicle whos chassis number is less then 5 digits and sadly most AC Model 70's have VIN numbers that are less then 5 digit so it always throws an error regardless of if said vehicle was last taxed in 2003 or not)

Woo! 3000 posts :) 

I sadly dont have a montage of Model 70's to post like when I hit 2K posts, but your welcome to check out the survivors list on Page 24 if you want a montage of 41 different Model 70's :mrgreen:

but I do have some good news in that I was just checking me Facebook just now and I see Simon of the ICR and his assistant? Kathryn have sent me a couple messages last week in good spirits offering to talk to me about my enthusiasm for the Invacar and the research that I have done

so I have just message them back now hopefully I hear back and, hopefully this a sign of good things to come!

(sadly I think because they are not on my friends list, facebook did not actually notify me that I had been messaged, so it was only when I was checking something else did I notice they had messaged me)

peek-a-boo!

3332694261_66d7bbdd8a_o.thumb.jpg.6e8dc6e2d6e19667f050ff6714037677.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3332694261

also a new Model 70 reg block that I dont have documented for me to go through :) 

image.thumb.png.bf8b8694fe1150755a2f3bd105de1b99.png

also at 4:56, someone forgot to let the gearbox spin down!

VTW-L, will figure out where it starts and ended, and go through it for chassis numbers :) 

one of the last Model 70's on white on black plates too

which means TWC would of had white on black plates originally too, sorry! @dollywobbler

(I had seen period AC Model 70 on white on black L plates but not an invacar until now)

block is VTW701L-VTW800L sadly none survived into VIN look up range but looking at my lists 

its somewhere between the TWC-K and WHK-L blocks,

(as a side note there should also be a block starting with U in there somewhere as well)

found another "Bronze" one tho LOL

1610426078_Screenshot2019-08-17at11_38_17.thumb.png.d62bba5bc98428035ae8d3079a7b2a0f.png

Just got off the phone with Simon of the ICR

I think the conversation went well :) 

the issue with the ICR is simon wants to grow and has been growing the ICR as more than just a car register, simon has been wanting to explore the social history of disable stuff and the broader history of disabled people in general etc

but I think the problem is while he has been doing that its sort of caused the actual car register bit to wither on the vine so to speak

and speaking to simon he wants to get me involved officially with the ICR

which im fully in support of, if I can get my foot in the door and and be the person that handle all the car club bits of "yes your Q-plate Model 70 is actually MPH759P fill out the V62 like so and send it off to the DVLA" and be there to support actual invacar owners, while simon does his social history bits and whatnot then that would be perfect for me

Simon said he will call me in september and talk a bit more in depth about that, hopefully see about getting me up to see the collection which I look forward too very much :) 

I did talk to Simon about OYP595, he actually thought that someone had transferred the registration number "OYP595" onto that Model 70 (like how MPD553P is VAV1L currently) but he said he thought someone did it for tax reasons? (never mind that transferring registrations around does  not affect the tax rate of a vehicle)

I had to tell him no, its literally the registration of an AC petite, as in as far the DVLA is concerned its an AC Petite LOL

and I told him it was probably done back when the Government Model 70's where very much a grey item

so yeah all in all pretty positive and hopefully things will go well and I can get my foot in the door, as this sort thing is right up my ally :)

3 hours ago, egg said:

That's very good news. I really hope something comes of this. If it does, I think that will be good for Invacars in general, and probably me personally in my own MK12 project.

indeed hopefully! 

18 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

A blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance of an invalid carriage, possibly a very early model 70, in this nostalgia programme about scottish news of 1971; it's about 9-10 minutes in. 

Ohh thanks for the heads up :) im pretty sure its an AC Acedes Mk14-15 (DHSS Model 67)

image (10).png

the AC Acedes Mk14-15 is where the Model 70 gets its overall body design from :) but note the lack of rear wheel arch flares on the AC Acedes, its an easy way to tell them apart from a Model 70 :)