Jump to content
LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! proof of H and J Reg Model 70's discovered!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Fucking annoys me this does. Plus, advertising it as 'tax exempt' when there can't be any pissing Minors that aren't is pretty hopeless. As hopeless as making a mistake in the header saying it's M' reg.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR-LOG-BOOK-VIN-PLATE-TAX-MOT-EXEMPT-PTU401M-TRANSFERABLE/303277313440?hash=item469cbc8da0:g:5bYAAOSwGTVddBMe

Clearly, the only value in this is as a ringing kit.

 

 

 

dragging this over here for Invacar reasons :)

and uploading the V5 pic again/to autoshite because i see civcraft just copied the ebay picture link so when ebay pulls the picture (or auction!) the picture vanish otherwise

 

image.thumb.png.562162631ed61da845f3b0b1284008f8.png

but the reason im dragging it here, is because its an example of a Early 1990s V5 thats similar in layout to the copy of the 1985 V5 I have for REV :) 

and its been quite interesting studying and comparing the 2

image.thumb.png.6ed1a258cc3f5b5c11d84f7b10932e8b.png

 

the couple things I noticed is 1 the Morris minor V5 does not seem to have the wheel plan listed on the V5 but it is listed as 2 axle rigid body on the DVLA checker, is this down to the fact its a PLG/Saloon so it automatically gets that put down as the wheel plan or?

second thing worth pointing out is the fact the Taxable weight on the morris minor V5 is blank, I wonder is this normal for private/normal of the time or is it supposed to have something there?

and the 3rd thing is the "4 since APR 77" Stuart mentioned that the keeper count only goes as far back as to when the DVLA computerised/centralised everything, and he said that if a vehicle was from before then that it would say " No of Former Keepers Since xxx"

and stuart did ask me if REV's V5 had that (since Invacar is not the first registered keeper for REV, when normally thats the case for Model 70's) which she does not as you can see, but it makes sense that she does not have that in her V5's in this case since REV451R was registered for the first time a good couple years after the DVLA centralised/computerised everything etc

the question I have on that regard is what does TPA or TWCs V5 say since they where both registered before the DVLA was centralised etc? do they still have the "Since xxx" thing on modern V5's for Vehicles that predate the DVLA computerisation/centralisation?

also when you buy a new Car and you pick out your reg from whatever the dealer has, and it gets registered for the first time, are you the buyer counted as the first owner or is the dealer counted as the first owner?

 

as a side note while thumbing through the history file on REV today, I noticed an insurance document from 2002, and on it was the then current millage of 23071 which I found rather amusing

as I got her with 23072 on the clock, clearly she had not done many miles since then!

(she is now on 23082 or thereabouts :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you buy a brand new car you are the first owner. If you buy an ex demo, or one registered by the dealer to make sales figures better you will be the second owner. 

In terms of the old blue V5, if you had an old brown logbook there's a chance DVLA would actually look at it for the first date.

In my case, with the bike, I stated on the application form it was first registered in 1955. I worked that out because the reg was around 700 less than a Sheffield Corporation AEC Regent III that I knew the date of entry into service.  They put "declared" first registered on the V5.

When I finally (last year) got around to getting a V5C, they put duplicate on the front FFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahh interesting :) Im guessing with REV being a private example, Invacar just acted like a dealer in this regard then, hence why the first registered owner is not Invacar

when you say "application form" do you mean a V765 for historic vehicles that dont show up on the DVLA anymore?

or are we talking about something you did in the 1970s when they moved from the brown logbooks to V5s etc? :)

(by duplicate do you mean duplicate V5 or something else?)

those brown logbooks are called buff logbooks right? I wonder why they are called that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes there was a form to fill in, but in the early 80's it wasn't anything like as difficult as now, no doubt due to still getting used to the new computer system. Filled in a few forms for different vehicles, including a trolleybus! DVLC just accepted everything as gospel then, just to get it on the system. Probably why there's so many fuck ups with Invacar registrations.

As for the buff / brown log book, that's the actual colour they were, and printed on a thinish cardboard. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Yes there was a form to fill in, but in the early 80's it wasn't anything like as difficult as now, no doubt due to still getting used to the new computer system. Filled in a few forms for different vehicles, including a trolleybus! DVLC just accepted everything as gospel then, just to get it on the system. Probably why there's so many fuck ups with Invacar registrations.

As for the buff / brown log book, that's the actual colour they were, and printed on a thinish cardboard. 

 

interesting :)

I never actually knew buff was the name of a colour! TIL :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

oh quick update on "KPL96P" the owner (or owners son, im not sure which)

says that KPL96P is only marked on that left hand window and not marked anywhere else

Oh hum, which do you want to bet on, KPL is it's original ID, DVLA will get Egg's model 12 registered by Xmas or I'll win the lottery, buy every Invacar and put them all in your name ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Oh hum, which do you want to bet on, KPL is it's original ID, DVLA will get Egg's model 12 registered by Xmas or I'll win the lottery, buy every Invacar and put them all in your name ???

haha yeah! :)

I think "KPL96P" is not its original ID going by the Invacar Chassis number on the actual chassis, and the fact it has an Invacar style bonnet stay and rear body moulding depression for one, im just waiting on a couple more things before Im confident in saying for sure what it is

the question you have to ask is if say you end up with such a vehicle is do you roll with KPL96P or do you apply for the V5 for the actual ID that it is?

I think in this case if It was to return to to the UK I would apply for its original Invacar Model 70 as the clues point to this one actually being an Invacar Model 70 and not KPL96P

(rather than it actually being KPL96P that's simply been re-chassised  at some point)

 

and then there's the case of TTW906R that is actually TVW4R, but Stuart did not know of the TVW-R block when he owned TVW4R, so he thought it was TTW906R, and as such it has been running around under that reg for the past 16 years or so (when Stuart got the V5 for TTW906R and saw the chassis number on the V5 was not what was on the car, he thought that a typo was made etc so he "corrected" the chassis number on TTW906Rs V5 to that of TVW4Rs Chassis number, which means currently TTW906R and TVW4R have the same chassis numbers on the DVLA database LOL, or should do in theory, im waiting to have TVW4R run by my HPI guy to check for sure)

im in contact with the current owners of "TTW906R" TVW4R, but im still thinking of how to explain the whole situation to someone who is completely unfamiliar with this sort of thing

(there's also a 3rd Model 70's whose true Identity I have been trying to work out, but its much more of a "bitsa" so i'm still trying to figure it out, that ones been a long term project of mine)

 

luckily the process of sorting this sort of thing out is fairly easy once you know the numbers on the paperwork side of thing as, its just a case of apply for the V5 for the actual/correct Registration number and swap the plates over

exactly like what we did with Q231PVL/MPH759P :) 

I would like to see "TTW906R"  sorted out in in the end, as I think TVW4R is the only known surviving example of such a short block and it would be a shame to hide that!

 

BTW to be pedantic Eggs Invacar is a Model 66 :) (a Model 12 is probably some sort of wheel chair!)

it is interesting how some Invalid vehicles became known by their MoH/DHSS names whereas others became known by their manufactures name

like the Invacar Mk12 is well known as the Invacar Mk12 and few people know its MoH/DHSS Model number (but for those wondering its MoH name was Model 66)

but the AC Acedes Mk4-12 and Mk14-15 became known by their MoH/DHSS names of Model 57 and 67 respectively 

(and then all Tippen Deltas seem to just be called TIppen deltas despite their being 8 different Marks! with the MoH/DHSS Model numbers being Model 59 and Model 69E being the Petrol and Electric versions respectively)

its worth noting that the Electric "AC Acedes" does not actually say AC Acedes anywhere on the VIN plate it just says "Model 64" which is its MoH name, which makes sense as the Electric "AC Acedes" was commissioned specifically by request from the MoH

making the Model 64 and Model 70 the only 2 invalid vehicles that im aware of whos MoH/DHSS Model numbers are also their official manufacturer name :) (although worth noting the Rebuilt Electric tippen Deltas of 1970-1976 have "69E" as part of their chassis number which is their MoH/DHSS Model number)

(and on top of that it went Model 64 Mk1-4/4A and Model 70 Mark A and Mark B )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2019 at 12:06 PM, LightBulbFun said:

oh @dollywobbler or @st185cs

does MHJ have a Rollover bar with head liner and larger speedo,? according to my theories being a Jan 1976 car she should not, she should have instruments as like the ones on TWC (fuel gage aside of course) from looking at things it looks like the larger speedo and rollover bar etc was introduced in March 1976, certainly that is the case for AC Model 70's it seems

but it would be interesting to confirm properly :)

 

She does not. Sorry for the delay, but wasn't checking the forum much over the weekend. Good to spend some time with ST185cs though, and MHJ - had a quick spin and it drives well bar a stiff throttle due to an unusual throttle design. I prefer TWC's... MHJ also has a 1980s column stalk, more akin to a Metro or Reliant Fox.

Also met the Invacar legends Mr Cyphus and 'Big Al' which was nice, so much Invacar stuff was discussed. Then a HubNut fan who is into Haflingers gave me an exhaust silencer! Which was also nice.

Just the two Invacars, and I didn't even win the Invacar special prize! ST185cs got that, which was a control unit from an earlier type of Invacar I think.

Hopefully we can get a few more to the next one (though it is yet to be agreed).

ED4gcIDWwAUc7Qz.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

She does not. Sorry for the delay, but wasn't checking the forum much over the weekend. Good to spend some time with ST185cs though, and MHJ - had a quick spin and it drives well bar a stiff throttle due to an unusual throttle design. I prefer TWC's... MHJ also has a 1980s column stalk, more akin to a Metro or Reliant Fox.

Also met the Invacar legends Mr Cyphus and 'Big Al' which was nice, so much Invacar stuff was discussed. Then a HubNut fan who is into Haflingers gave me an exhaust silencer! Which was also nice.

Just the two Invacars, and I didn't even win the Invacar special prize! ST185cs got that, which was a control unit from an earlier type of Invacar I think.

Hopefully we can get a few more to the next one (though it is yet to be agreed).

ED4gcIDWwAUc7Qz.jpg

very cool! really is a shame I could not make it there! 

its amusing in a frustrating way how "out of" step the Autoshite Invacar gang has been this year LOL with you being on your 2CV road trip during the FoTU and when I got REV, and then TPA being poorly so Zel could not make it to the microcar gathering and me just not having anyway to get to the Microcar gathering!

im very happy you got to meet stuart Cyphus :) id have loved to been there when all the invacar chatting happened :) im guessing @st185cs got a Siba Dynastart control unit? shame @egg was not there it would be a handy spare for his Mk12! :mrgreen:

very interesting to hear about MHJs stiff throttle, did you get some comparison pictures between TWC and MHJ? it would be interesting to see if I can use it to solve the issues with REVs throttle

I do know looking at period pictures that the throttle cable goes straight from the twist grip down the handle bars and out through the front bulk head, and as such looks like its supposed to move in and out the front bulk head as you move the handle bars

(with REV this was causing the throttle to Jam on, so me and @Mrs6C pulled the cable into the cabin and tied it in place at the bulk head so now  all the slack thats there for when you turn the handle bars is now in the cabin and I have a bad habbit of catching my foot on it LOL, but it stops the throttle from jamming on so thats good, but clearly things are not as they should be if the throttle is jamming on when the throttle cable is setup how it normally is)

also very curious to see that indicator stalk, I dont think I have seen a Model 70 with anything other the the Land Rover style indicator stalk :)

 

hopefully I can make it next year with REV :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, quicksilver said:

- that combined with the weird handbrake suggests Dolly's driver did indeed have weak arms

I was looking at some photos which reminded me about the fact that dolly is equipped with power brakes :) 

IMG_20190811_135339 broad.jpg

 

note the brake booster by the engine in this photo, which backs up the theory about it being set up for someone with weak limbs :) 

 

its worth noting that when talking to John about it before it left for the FoD, I mentioned the Model 70 in Miami that has the booster up front under the service hatch

and John said that yeah thats the normal location for them and the fact that dolly has hers in the engine bay was rather unusual :) 

(I wonder if all steering wheel+hand control models where equipped with brake boosters or only just some? the workshop manual makes no mention of one, and if it was a common item id expect it to)

 

 

BTW @dollywobbler speaking of invacar chatter, any word on getting TWCs engine number from her original engine and a clear picture of the Lube chart/VIN plate? :) 

(Just making sure its not forgotten about before you fly to Down under!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

think "KPL96P" is not its original ID going by the Invacar Chassis number on the actual chassis, and the fact it has an Invacar style bonnet stay and rear body moulding depression for one, im just waiting on a couple more things before Im confident in saying for sure what it is

the question you have to ask is if say you end up with such a vehicle is do you roll with KPL96P or do you apply for the V5 for the actual ID that it is?

I think in this case if It was to return to to the UK I would apply for its original Invacar Model 70 as the clues point to this one actually being an Invacar Model 70 and not KPL96P

(rather than it actually being KPL96P that's simply been re-chassised  at some point)

My money would be on the fact that the only bit of KPL is that side screen. It's quite possible that KPL was returned to the local agent due to either the owner no longer needed it or was damaged in an accident. Either way, it was probably then used as a source of parts to keep others on the road. As a result, whatever this Invacar is then needed a replacement side screen and they simply fitted one of KPL. Doubt they would have even bothered about the reg on it.

Be interesting to know if there were any other Invacars with KPL on bits of glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

My money would be on the fact that the only bit of KPL is that side screen. It's quite possible that KPL was returned to the local agent due to either the owner no longer needed it or was damaged in an accident. Either way, it was probably then used as a source of parts to keep others on the road. As a result, whatever this Invacar is then needed a replacement side screen and they simply fitted one of KPL. Doubt they would have even bothered about the reg on it.

Be interesting to know if there were any other Invacars with KPL on bits of glass.

I guess at some point maybe this Invacar lost its reg plates and someone at the repair looked at the window like "alright its KPL96P now!"

or maybe KPL96P came back damaged and they where like "there's an invacar out back with a missing door, take a door and the reg plates from KPL and send it back out"

its worth noting that it was running around as KPL96P in england before it was withdrawn from service, so again yeah Repair garage shenanigans! (at least im pretty sure it was. as KPL96P has a Last taxed date of 2003 and an export marker, if it was not wearing reg plates when it was saved then they would not have known which one to export marker)

well for all we know this could of happened when it was being saved from the garage/scrap yard, "just grab a set of plates from an already scrapped one and etch it into one of the glass windows!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had my HPI guy get back to me with some registrations including a couple examples from the PPU-K block

and indeed it looks like the PPU-K block is the first Invacar Model 70 block which means PPU521K would of been the first Invacar Model 70 off the production line, im very happy that I have been able to discover the block and as such discover the very first Invacar Model 70! (or at least first one off the production line) sadly PPU521K no longer shows up, but PPU522K does, and I had that ran :)

I also had a couple examples of the GPE-J block run and as I suspect that block it is also a Block of very early AC Model 70's :)

GPE158J is fun tho because from @egg Mk12 thread

On 2/14/2019 at 8:52 PM, anonymous user said:

Imagine the shock if it comes back on hpi showing crashed/stolen/outstanding finance

well this is what my HPI guy said about GPE158J LOL

"Gpe158j is *redacted* but this is a strange one as finance is out standing on it, and reg date is in future "

I have asked what he means by "reg date is in future" im not sure if he means like the 5th of november 2023 or if he means something else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm yet to drive two Invacars with the same throttle set-up! TWC's works best, with a chunky handle and a smooth action.

 

MHJ has a few mods, which suggest later improvements. The indicator stalk is one, the electric screenwash another. I may have to concede that this is a better idea than the manual pump...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

I'm yet to drive two Invacars with the same throttle set-up! TWC's works best, with a chunky handle and a smooth action.

 

MHJ has a few mods, which suggest later improvements. The indicator stalk is one, the electric screenwash another. I may have to concede that this is a better idea than the manual pump...

Very interesting!

MHJs mods will have either been for the user specifically, or just things fitted post production as items failed, like the rear light situation, and I suspect the same with the indicator stalk, although I have a NOS indicator stalk in the spares stash and its a normal Model 70/Land Rover one, so im quite curious to see what MHJ has, defo does not sound like a production change as I know of many later Model 70's whos indicator stalks are like TWCs etc (REV451R VES108S OPH868R etc)

I have seen a couple other Model 70's fitted with a electric screenwash, VES108S being one :) 

 

when you say throttle setup, do you mean just the twist grip itself, or the entire setup of how the cable is run?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Just had my HPI guy get back to me with some registrations including a couple examples from the PPU-K block

and indeed it looks like the PPU-K block is the first Invacar Model 70 block which means PPU521K would of been the first Invacar Model 70 off the production line, im very happy that I have been able to discover the block and as such discover the very first Invacar Model 70! (or at least first one off the production line) sadly PPU521K no longer shows up, but PPU522K does, and I had that ran :)

I also had a couple examples of the GPE-J block run and as I suspect that block it is also a Block of very early AC Model 70's :)

GPE158J is fun tho because from @egg Mk12 thread

well this is what my HPI guy said about GPE158J LOL

"Gpe158j is *redacted* but this is a strange one as finance is out standing on it, and reg date is in future "

I have asked what he means by "reg date is in future" im not sure if he means like the 5th of november 2023 or if he means something else

Yes in future, it said reg date as 2021 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Very interesting!

MHJs mods will have either been for the user specifically, or just things fitted post production as items failed, like the rear light situation, and I suspect the same with the indicator stalk, although I have a NOS indicator stalk in the spares stash and its a normal Model 70/Land Rover one, so im quite curious to see what MHJ has, defo does not sound like a production change as I know of many later Model 70's whos indicator stalks are like TWCs etc (REV451R VES108S OPH868R etc)

I have seen a couple other Model 70's fitted with a electric screenwash, VES108S being one :) 

 

when you say throttle setup, do you mean just the twist grip itself, or the entire setup of how the cable is run?

 

Entire cable seems different. Not checked the underside routing.

Got a part number on the indicator stalk? I have managed to break mine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dollywobbler said:

Entire cable seems different. Not checked the underside routing.

Got a part number on the indicator stalk? I have managed to break mine...

interesting :)

 

I don't recall the part number off hand, but I think @Zelandeth might have grabbed a photo of it when I showed him the box it was in

since the problem is the part number on the switch itself is just a a partial code, so you get a bunch of the same stalks that are all diffrent from each other in some way 

and I know zel wanted to find the full part number which was on the box

if not then @Mrs6C its in box 2 just take a few detailed pictures of each side/end of the box the P/N should be on there somewhere :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

There are three sets of numbers stamped/cast into the plastic base:

Tiny numbers set #1: 39732J

Tiny numbers set #2: 4292

Larger numbers: 119SA

Any of those match up to the part number in the Parts Manual?

ah cool thanks :) 

but im wondering specifically on the NOS one thats still in its box, what's the numbers on the end of the box? :) 

It looks like 119SA is the "short number" that covers that general range of stalks

and I THINK 39732J is the specific Lucas part number that covers the specific stalk that its 

but someone who is more in tune with Lucas parts can tell us more I imagine :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Different connector too. The one fitted has more of an arch at the top as I recall.

yeah, 

I know the full part number is listed on the Box, because I remember me and Zel struggling to find it at first

and then Zel saw it buried under the "STYxxx" DHSS part number sticker IIRC :)

and Im pretty sure then Zel grabbed a picture with his Phone but maybe the entire tub of ben and jerry's chocolate fudge ice cream I had today is getting to my brain :mrgreen:

(Apple had an event today and its a tradition for me to have one of those during apple events)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so I spoke with Stuart today to discuss my recent findings now that I had all the early reg blocks that I have found run via my HPI man :) (seriously many many thanks to you know who you are! your services have been invaluable in in figuring out the early history of the Model 70! id mention you by username but I don't want you to then get berraged with a 1001 requests by people wanting their own cars run! so ill let you respond/revel yourself if you want to)

stuart agrees with my findings and is very happy to have finally cracked the start of the Invacar/AC Model 70 story :) 

as mentioned above, it looks the PPU-K block of PPU521K-PPU600K is indeed the start of Model 70 Production at Invacar, with PPU521K being the 1st off the production line we think going by its chassis number :) (we know for a fact PPU522K chassis number makes it number 2nd off the line so although PPU521K does not show up on the DVLA anymore sadly, its easy enough to figure out that it would be the 1st :) )

 

and we also discussed the GPD-J and GPE-J blocks some more and we think they were 50 cars each

we THINK that GPD781J would of been the first Production AC Model 70 off the production line, with the GPD-J block ending with GPD830J being the 50th car, and then the GPE-J block from GPE121J to GPE170J covering cars 51 to 100 (and then GPG-K being the first block of 200, GPG701K to GPG900K covering cars 101-300)

sadly a lot of cars from that time just don't show up on the DVLA checker anymore so it makes it hard to pinpoint exactly how big a block is or where it started or ended

but looking at the chassis numbers we think it is what I figured out above :) 

 

we also discussed the factory fire, as since I solved the mystery of the LOO-P block

it turns out that Invacar Model 70 Production never seemed to have stopped or slowed down when the factory fire supposedly happened etc (it was theorized for a long time that the weirdness of the LOO-P block was down to the factory fire but I disproved that theory with the new information I learned on how registrations worked from @quicksilver and @busmansholiday)

so Stuart said he will check some sources of his and see what was what exactly (or as close as we can get to these days), we suspect that maybe the factory fire was in the motorcycle side of things rather then the Invacar side of things

(but I also still need to verify the whole mould lines thing LOL)

 

Stuart said he is happy that im poking away at him with questions like this and the fact that sometimes I will ask "where did you find out about that" because it means he revisits those sections, and allows him to catch any mistakes or errors and serves as a refresher for himself etc :)

(I ask those questions of "how did you find out about such and such" because I like to know if said info is actually solidly known or is just based on info from here and there pieced together etc)

 

sadly Stuart is struggling to read the etch on the bulb from the harding (the condensation keeps vanishing before he has a good chance to read them) so back in the Fridge the lightbulb goes for another try at some point :mrgreen:

(its a shame im not there to do it for him, as you get a knack for this sort of thing when you do it as many times as I have done!)

 

all in all a pretty exciting day for me with lots of new Model 70 history uncovered :) 

I have always wondered about the first Model 70's etc but for the longest of time I had considered information lost to time sadly

I cant say I thought back then that id be the the person who would uncover that information :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new stalk's numbers are:

Tiny numbers set #1: 39732J

Tiny numbers set #2: 1097

Larger numbers: 119SA

The green Lucas box says STY 581 on a sticker, which was stuck over the top of the Lucas part number of 39732 'Switch' on the end of the box...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other number is the date. Lucas used to use month/year and stamp it on parts, but it seems to have become week/year in later times i.e. 4292 is Week 42, 1992 and 1097 is week 10, 1997. This last one fits with the other number that was on the Lucas box, which was 15/97: Week 15, 1997.

For the part numbers, this page sheds light on the letter suffix aspect to the main component part number; essentially parts with the same main part number are interchangeable functionally while the letter indicates some manufacturing or component difference:
http://www.healey6.com/Technical/Lucas.pdf

This can be seen in the following list of Lucas distributors by year:
http://www.classicvehicledata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lucasdist46to60.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

The other number is the date. Lucas used to use month/year and stamp it on parts, but it seems to have become week/year in later times i.e. 4292 is Week 42, 1992 and 1097 is week 10, 1997. This last one fits with the other number that was on the Lucas box, which was 15/97: Week 15, 1997.

For the part numbers, this page sheds light on the letter suffix aspect to the main component part number; essentially parts with the same main part number are interchangeable functionally while the letter indicates some manufacturing or component difference:
http://www.healey6.com/Technical/Lucas.pdf

This can be seen in the following list of Lucas distributors by year:
http://www.classicvehicledata.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/lucasdist46to60.pdf

very interesting stuff :) 

would be interesting to look at the date codes on the stalks on TWC or the original one from TPA etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

      I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

      So...we've got:

      1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

      Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

      Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.


      Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

       






      Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...









      Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.







      Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

      Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...



      Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

      Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.



      Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

      I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
×
×
  • Create New...