LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! first lesson had!

On 9/27/2019 at 11:03 AM, LightBulbFun said:

I was reading up on my Traffic signs while waiting for impending doom I mean the Tribunal later today https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519129/know-your-traffic-signs.pdf

and I was surprised to see this :) 

image.thumb.png.ac82b9103cb245efe3eaf9e14c2f6d7c.png

in that I was not surprised at the rule, I already know about that but I did not expect to see any other modern Government documentation make reference to the original invalid carriage regulations :) 

but its good to have as its another second official government source that you can show/quote to anyone if anyone questions you driving your Model 70 (or Mk12 if your particularly brave/insane :mrgreen: ) on the motorway

When I was doing my PSV training way back in 2008 we did quite a lot of motorway driving - I certainly drove to Grangemouth and back on the morning of my test.

On 9/27/2019 at 7:05 PM, LightBulbFun said:

ah sorry I was thinking in Lighting enthusiast mode!

by reflector I mean the silver backing that goes behind a light source to reflect light forward of said light source :) 

Finally after over a year of fighting the f*ckers I have a result, a good result! Looks like I finally won! (well I think so if im reading it correctly!)

image.thumb.png.c40f8738d78fe4ba31ff7fc0829d239d.png

many many (repeat ad infinitum) thanks to @Zelandeth for helping me in my time of need during this whole clusterf*ck, and for coming with me to the tribunal with me today! I am seriously thankful for the help you have provided and just being there for me so I was not all alone during all of it!

this is technically not the end of the road, ideally I should be on PIP as well, but im very relieved and happy to at least be on ESA, as it should cover my basic expenses and allow me to properly research into getting PIP in my own time/leasure

and of course the money from ESA will help me moblise myself with REV which I very much look forward to :) hopefully all this combined down the road will  help lead to getting a Job!  (and I can finally get that dental appointment sorted out LOL! as well as probably look into renewing my glasses)

also now with all the government stuff finally done and over with for now! I can finally focus on getting driving lessons, Ill be calling them in a couple weeks or so as I need to recoperate first after all of this! (the past 2 weeks or so have been very bad/painful on the back)

Missed this. Pleased its finally getting sorted! Not before time, either. Well done for persevering with it :)

1 hour ago, mrbenn said:

Missed this. Pleased its finally getting sorted! Not before time, either. Well done for persevering with it :)

Thanks! :) 

I think its still down to the to the Secretary of state to decide if I get ESA or not, but this tribunal replaces the previous rejections, so hopefully I should be accepted!

speaking of many thanks to Zel,

I got the "DHSS List of Spare Parts for Invalid Three-Wheelers" Book in PDF form from him today :) 

and its been VERY EXCITING reading through its, its provided me with a wealth of new information and helped confirm previous suspons

im still "digesting" it all  but here are a few snippets 

for example as I said here

On 9/20/2019 at 10:35 PM, LightBulbFun said:

side note I showed Simon of the ICR where the Chassis plate of an Electric AC Model 64 is, he owns "MOJ416" (false plate) but he did not know the chassis number nor where the chassis plate was, so I showed him where it is :)

and so he sent me a picture of it and much to my surprise it says Model 64 Mk5!

it was though until that picture, Mk4A was the highest revision of the Model 64

I do wonder if the AC Model 64 Mk5 has has parallelogram front suspension rather then C tube front suspension, much like how the Invacar Mk12 was fitted with it for the Mk12E

its also worth noting that during my talking with stuart I happened to accidently have reminded him that the AC Acedes Mk14 Model 67 does not have Parallelogram front suspension but actually has C tube type front suspension, and as such he was able to edit his big book draft and correct that mistake (he apparently wrote the Model 67 section of the book many years ago and new info has come to light since then, so when he revisited the section to answer a question I had asked, he spotted the mistake, you can actually see the mistake in the Small book as I call it where on the Invacar Mk12 page it says "while the 12E of April 1969 was fitted with the new Parallelogram front suspension of the AC Acedes Mk14" )

although its worth noting that sadly Stuart has only seen 1 Mk14 up close, so its unknown if all Mk14's had C tube suspension or that or if for some weird reason this 1 Mk14 stuart did see was fitted with older type suspension, or I also wonder if on the Mk14A one of the changes with the "A" was the fitting of parallelogram front suspension 

speaking of chassis plate madness its worth noting that the youngest AC Acedes Model 57 Stuart knows of apparently says "AC Acedes Mk18" on the chassis plate, Mk18! go figure that one out!

when discussing the suspension stuff with stuart I said I wonder if the Mk18 has parallelogram front suspension to which stuart said thats a good thought! but that sadly he never looked under the front service cover of that one, so that remains a mystery

i'm all the more eager to see what the spare parts book has listed in it in terms of the different invalid vehicles it covers (I know it covers a wide range of vehicles, so it might give us some info on the whole suspension thing, and what was different between the Mk14 and Mk14A for example)

I speculated about the Mk5 having parallelogram, and indeed i was correct the AC Model 64 Mk5 was indeed fitted with Parallelogram suspension (there is no mention of a Mk18 Model 57 so I wonder if Stuart happened to have miss read the VIN plate on that Model 57)

image.thumb.png.e5af0082842e6dabf7d0a45acd98b4fe.png

image.png.0dd987c247273eeb138b6ad9d285c4dd.png

and the first AC Model 64 Mk5 still shows up on the DVLA!

587137719_Screenshot2019-10-03at13_44_52.thumb.png.db57f2cfd1ac703934fc48bcd4d134bc.png

"AZ" LOL there's a Tesla self driving car joke in there somewhere :mrgreen:

and the parts book also confirms that it was only the AC Acedes Mk15 Model 67 that was fitted with parallelogram front suspension 

image.png.3a44ab378e6d513dd09554d947e8a731.png

and in the Mk12 section it also confirms that as I thought it looks "WOO976F"' may have been a victim of number plate shenanigans, the chassis number tied to the number plate "WOO976F" is inline with what I would expect it to be, and is indeed before @egg's Mk12 :) (im still waiting for WOO976F to be run by my HPI guy to make sure)

its also interesting to note that the Invacar Mk12 had a unique Villiers engine/gearbox variant not shared with any other invalid vehicle (Specification No 313F where as every other villiers 11E powered vehicle seemingly had Specification 419F, I wonder what the spare engine @egg has is :)

there is quite a bit of interesting/new Model 70 info that I still need to sort through and discuss with stuart first 

but yeah im very happy and excited right now, I finally have the parts manual in PDF form and as I thought its provided me with a wealth of new info :) 

BTW for @dollywobbler , the spare parts book does mention the Lucas part number for the indicator stalk which tallies with what @Mrs6C and @Zelandeth posted :) 

image.png.35f993483db0e0bc99e0b74ebbeb9311.png

and for @Zelandeth wheel studs are listed on their own as Store no STY476, sadly there not in the list of parts that can be sourced from local suppliers like the above indicator stalk

but it does mean that in a spare parts stash somewhere there might be a bag of wheel studs :) (they came in bags of 12 if im reading things correctly)

they are listed under the wheels section, which lists exactly when the change from 12 to 10 inch wheels took place, which I have been wondering since finding out that Early Model 70 Mark Bs still had 12 inch wheels

from GPL351N and JAR185N onwards is when the 10 inch wheels where fitted it looks like :)  (Dunlop LP 1161 is the part number for the 10 inch wheels for those wondering)

Who knows!

As a result of your doc, I came across a Girling catalogue - that lists under AC some invalid car brake parts supplied by Girling. Page 5.

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/94895fc8/files/uploaded/GIRLING VEHICLE APPLICATIONS. AC. ABARTH. ALFA. ASTON MARTIN%2C AUSTIN. HEALEY. BARRETT%2C BOND%2C CLAN%2C DAIMLER%2C ELVA. 1960-85.pdf

very cool find!

they list the Model 70 even : )

its interesting how the Mk15 Model 67 is said to span 1969-1972

I dont THINK thats accurate as the Model 70 was a direct replacement of the Mk15, but who knows!

but its interesting to see when (supposedly) the transition from Mk14 to Mk15 happened,

while the DHSS parts book lists its for some vehicles, (see the AC Model 64 snip above :) ) it sadly does not list it for all, and sadly does not list the registration ranges of the Mk14/Mk14A/M15

or for @plasticvandan heres the Electric Tippen delta Mk ranges :) 

image.thumb.png.054b282b204a08a3deeaecded7b89a6d.png

funnily enough BKV682E is a survivor! what are the chances of that :) (or hopefully it is!)

image.thumb.png.5e2002a057a8270db6e7f0ef4517e24c.png

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18215/lot/455/

BTW its interesting to note for Model 70 Tyres, it lists both Radial and Bias ply tyres for 12 inch wheels

but only Bias ply tyres for 10 inch wheels

image.png.62232c643a7d4d8900fb935781c070aa.png

(I would post the the whole PDF, but it contains various chassis numbers, and I dont want a bad member of the public to try and claim a V5 for a car they dont have!)

From simon, the AC Acedes Mk14 Model 67 C Tube suspension setup :) I have not seen under the front service hatch of any Model 67 before so its very cool to see under one finally!

image.thumb.png.ff2a1bd2e110c1819e89ceb643094799.png

(BTW its interesting to note that according to the spare parts list, the Invacar Mk12E had a tow bar like the AC Acedes Mk15, and looking at the heywood pictures you can JUST about make it out on the top row of Mk12's :) )

BTW now that I have seen what a C tube suspension setup looks like in detail (its funny just how empty and crude Model 67, Mk14 looks under the bonnet compared to a Model 70!)

its pretty obvious that the Model 64 Mk5 had parallelogram suspension from this picture I saved of "416MOJ" when she was for sale on ebay :) 

630263477_s-l1600(3)copy2.thumb.jpg.5fd8df5465a3aaa5ef4556033d16f77e.jpg

a fun case of hiding in plain sight!

1 hour ago, plasticvandan said:

love seeing original "secret" paperwork,keep it coming :-) over the winter i hope as part of my rehabilitation living with my dad after my marriage breakup to make a large scale model of a Tippen Delta :-)

aye same, happy to hear your enjoying seeing it :) I look forward to seeing your large scale model, always good to have something to set your mind to during tough times

(see this thread as an example!)

Sadly the Model 60 Barrett midget section is empty, I was most looking forward to reading there given how little is known about the oddball invalid vehicles especially, ill have to Ask John if he does not happen to have the paperwork for that section tucked away somewhere else

(I really need to send him an email updating him on things, I was hoping to make more progress on getting REV roadworthy before I emailed him, but as is the case with cars so often do, things have not gone entirely to plan and progress has been slower then I would of liked there) 

the Parts book is a really interesting view into what invalid vehicles where still in use in the 1970's/1980s

I was pleasantly surprised to see the Stanley Mk7 Model 65 was listed

image.thumb.png.67506c5b2e35fd5f89d4566e260c9f4f.png

sadly no chassis number or registration numbers are listed, but I never knew they did a Stanley Mk7A :) 

there was also the Argson electric, its not surprising its there, but it was still quite amusing to see such an old invalid carriage listed still into the 1970s/1980s :) 

image.png.869980f393855aef6201a54efc5f7c2d.png

they even had to deal with sourcing replacement batteries

image.thumb.png.4ad16deea6ea378d810200e16109a625.png

and then they had to do the same with the Electric Tippen Delta 10 years later

image.thumb.png.2c1fa317cbe14d63fc9330f2931317e3.png

10 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

ive got a few pages on the Barret Midget and Minor in my master catalogue of all available models from 1959,its all packed away at the moment but ill see if i can dig it out in the next week

oh cool I look forward to seeing that :)  

im curious if its from 1959 does that mean it does not include the Invacar Mk12? I wonder if the 1960 copy has a really early Mk12 Pictured :) 

has the master catalog has been digitised? its one of those things that really should be preserved digitised should anything happen to the physical copy (its why I handed the 2 DHSS books I got with REV straight to Zel, to get them digitised ASAP)

(especially as the ICR have not done anything with Stuarts old materials still sadly)

plus id love to have a read through the entire catalog :mrgreen: 

Did you see this on Microcar world Dez? The Krause Piccolo Trumpf.....the German answer to invalid carriages, looks a very similar style of solution to UK models. It's even blue. I wonder who copied who :-)

https://oldbike.eu/1960-krause-piccolo-trumpf/?fbclid=IwAR0pRXAFpOb1qAzfnvUaRSNT-5KHO_wrWIGkzd5q4Z1wELx7M1lygFuNNUQ

KRAUSE_PICCOLO_TRUMPF_10.jpg

KRAUSE_PICCOLO_TRUMPF_50.jpg

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Did you see this on Microcar world Dez? The Krause Piccolo Trumpf.....the German answer to invalid carriages, looks a very similar style of solution to UK models. It's even blue. I wonder who copied who :-)

https://oldbike.eu/1960-krause-piccolo-trumpf/?fbclid=IwAR0pRXAFpOb1qAzfnvUaRSNT-5KHO_wrWIGkzd5q4Z1wELx7M1lygFuNNUQ

KRAUSE_PICCOLO_TRUMPF_10.jpg

KRAUSE_PICCOLO_TRUMPF_50.jpg

hah cool :) 

I have to say I prefer the british version! 

I have been doing a little bit of research into the actual Invalid carriages (the ones that are under 254Kg so are classed as invalid carriages)

and one of the things I have wondered is, on their V5 (or well VE60 as it would been back then!) where they "invalid vehicle" or "invalid carriage"

it looks like at least today they are down as "invalid vehicle" on the V5 like a Model 70 is

as seen on USL568  and CJN446 for example 

image.png.c618aaa5b0f1c68b58d6f893ca0b71b9.png

image.png.7dd9112cdb0fd60b38cafe981ee21a7c.png

although I do wonder if back in the 1940s/50s if they were down as "invalid carriage" and then overtime that got change to invalid vehicle as "the system" was updated (its said that in the 1980s the original invalid carriage specification was "retired" and I also know of a 1930s Tax disk that says "invalid carriage" on it so that may be something)

as a side note I came across this Stanley Argson, which is clearly a re-registration jobby, but while most of the re-registered invalid vehicles are down as "tricycle" (because I imagine the owners didn't know fo the fine details when re-registering them)

this one does not seem to have a body type!

11366637203_9282a31d3d_b.thumb.jpg.9a23b26597dafe6a89cf1ecf39304360.jpg

599247052_Screenshot2019-10-06at15_20_09.thumb.png.01df949e55494f4e04bf07578f15a7ad.png

image.png.7d3ac09d43be609722ee08f1e611951d.png

but since its "not taxed for on road use" it means I was able to look it up with one of my other websites that normally is only able to pull the details of vehicles if they have been taxed in the last few years (hence why I could not look up that other vehicle that comes back with no body type on this web site)

where it comes back as "NOT CODABLE" whatever that means!

image.png.ae865e2a2391e9f1c2bd22ca46e53b5d.png

heres a little something that I was shared, which I think @plasticvandan will find most enjoyable 

(I know I did :)

http://www.invalidcarriageregister.org/3d

side note the ICR facebook page is back, and now that Simon knows what im on about now, hopefully we can avoid it imploading again! 

https://www.facebook.com/invalidcarriageregister

1 minute ago, plasticvandan said:

Whatever it is it won't work for me

Aww, is your web browser etc fully up to date?

its a neat 3D demo/model of a Tippen Delta :) 

its something Simon and his posse of volunteers have been working on for about 6 months apparently,  and they finally released it  today to go with one of their exhibitions 

heres a couple screenshots :) 

image.thumb.png.9c90e304ee0bb1100ac0094139741a5f.png

image.thumb.png.24d7aeb8aecf2a4f9500845f8d7f7cc3.png

(I suggested the ability to fast forward or rewind should you miss a section of the demo, or want to skip to the end to the free play section :)  hopefully it gets implemented)

reminds me, they have the wing mirror the wrong way round!

You'll be pleased to hear that I have received Dolly's V5C at last. It was issued on 03-Oct-19, so it took eleven weeks and a day to be issued and another four days after that for it to arrive. The most interesting detail is that it states 5 previous Keepers!!! :-)

She is classed as a 'DISABLED' for Taxation Class and has a Body Type of 'INVALID VEHICLE', with a Wheelplan of '3-WHEEL'

The chassis number has a full stop '.' between the leading letter and the number. You might like to check that format for other similar numbers when you do your DVLA chassis number checks, in case it reveals a few more recorded with the same method. I didn't put it in the application like that, so assume it was like that in the DVLA record already...

The engine number already recorded is correct in both number and format.

1 hour ago, Mrs6C said:

You'll be pleased to hear that I have received Dolly's V5C at last. It was issued on 03-Oct-19, so it took eleven weeks and a day to be issued and another four days after that for it to arrive. The most interesting detail is that it states 5 previous Keepers!!! :-)

She is classed as a 'DISABLED' for Taxation Class and has a Body Type of 'INVALID VEHICLE', with a Wheelplan of '3-WHEEL'

The chassis number has a full stop '.' between the leading letter and the number. You might like to check that format for other similar numbers when you do your DVLA chassis number checks, in case it reveals a few more recorded with the same method. I didn't put it in the application like that, so assume it was like that in the DVLA record already...

The engine number already recorded is correct in both number and format.

Very Awesome!

funnily enough I was just wondering today how your V5 application was going :) 

very happy you have the V5 at long last!

5 previous keepers! I think thats the most keepers I have seen on a Model 70 "fresh" from DHSS service (ie one thats not passed through any previous private owners etc)

keeping in mind that generally from what I have seen Model 70's only have 2-3 previous keepers as it would of 1st owner AC/Invacar then 2nd the DHSS then 3rd the person it was were issued to, (long term users had the V5 for their invalid vehicle issued in their name, its a good example of the registered keeper not being the owner :) )

and Model 70's that where short term loan cars where generally in the name of the local artificial limb place, so for one to accrue 5 previous keepers is quite interesting/unusual!

indeed I have seen a few Model 70's come back online with full stops (or decimal points?) between the lettering (I first noticed it it in my VIN number tidbits post see the thread index :) ) including REV's chassis number on the V5/online database in fact :) although I cant actually recall if Dolly had a full stop when I checked, but the tool I use to get VIN numbers from registration numbers is no more sadly so I cant check it once more (and some of the tools I had (before they stopped working 1 by 1) would not display special characters, it may of been that I had to use such a tool when verifying OPH868R's chassis number for the first time)

(im still looking for a replacement if anyone does know of any websites that can give me a VIN number from a registration number please let me know! I still have my HPI guy, but I would like to once more find a tool I have direct access to :) )

im not sure why some have full stops and others don't, I imagine its  down to the way it was digitised etc (as its like that on the V5/the online database but its not like that on the car itself)

happy to see all the details check out :) as mentioned on the various threads and above, all you have to do now is fill in V112, go down to the post office and change the Taxation class to "HISTORIC" :) 

(and you dont have to change anything else on the V5 :))

does anyone here happen to know of any good driving instructors they would recommend that will cover E2?

sadly finding a suitable driving school/instructor has been harder then I would of liked...

its rather frustrating as I really do want to start and learn how to drive and I have the moneys saved up for lessons, but I have been unable to do anything!

(I had thought id found someone suitable, but it turns out im just outside of their area of operations which is not what they told me when I first called in late august... and annoyingly it seems like there's just franchises here so its a bit of a crap shoot as to who you actually get as your teacher, I think ideally id like to find someone who is independent and has good reviews/a good word of mouth recommendation)

on a separate note, @Mrs6C now you have the V5 you can get Dolly a nice set of number plates :) 

Im thinking some pressed white/yellow ally plates (as by 1976 they had switched to white/yellow plates) from Tippers like what REV has would suit her nicely and would of most likely have been what she would of come with from the factory and wore in service, as my research and period photos shows :) 

22 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

No experience of these folk at all but they seem to have good reviews and cover your area...

https://www.elfdrivingschool.co.uk/

ohh good find :)

ill show it to mum tomorrow and see what she thinks about it :) the website looks somewhat familiar so we may have scoped them out beforehand, but it and the reviews looks good on my end i think! otherwise!

BTW one thing iv noticed thats common across all the driving schools I have looked at is that the automatic lessons are a few quid more expensive, I wonder why that is exactly?

you would think since you would not have to teach clutch control etc it would be less expensive...

just wondering out of sheer curiosity 

(I do wish I had some more driving experience before starting lessons so id not have to worry about the basics so much...) 

so this is exciting I have been in email contact with the owner of JBY503J an Invacar Mk12E :)

and he just sent me a picture of its V5, and heres a snippet :)

image.png.d792ee152fe76a714fb428d336302a7f.png

its very interesting to note that it does list a revenue weight, and that its 305Kg (which is interesting because the brochure for the Mk12c lists the weight as 700Lbs which is 317Kg, did the Mk12E shed some weight or are one of these figured rounded in someway? (a bit like the Model 70 revenue weight thing, of how its listed as 406Kg but is 410/413Kg on the V5)

having never seen a V5 for a Mk12 before @egg and now JBY503's

its very interesting to study :) I wonder if XWC468F does not have a revenue weight listed because revenue weights where only listed after a certain date in production

or because of DVLA shenanigans due to the somewhat abnormal situation that was getting the V5 for XWC468F?

BTW its interesting to note that the Taxation class is "HISTORIC VEHICLE" for some reason I thought it would say just "HISTORIC" when you changed the tax class

it would be interesting to see the V5 for a Model 67 or any other invalid vehicle and see what the revenue weight of one of those is listed as :)

so booked my first driving lesson :) decided to go with with bsm.co.uk 

somehow I managed to miss them completely in my searches, but while talking to Fraser a couple days ago (because scammers are still trying to sell him Invacars they dont own LOL thats what happens when you advertise on gumtree!) he mentioned it to me

so I checked it out looks like they are highly regarded, so I booked a couple hours with them on the 15th of October 12:30-2:30Pm

interesting times ahead!

I also bought "The Official DVSA Theory Test Kit for Car Drivers Online" from here https://www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/

for me to study in the meantime :) 

2 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

so booked my first driving lesson :) decided to go with with bsm.co.uk 

somehow I managed to miss them completely in my searches, but while talking to Fraser a couple days ago (because scammers are still trying to sell him Invacars they dont own LOL thats what happens when you advertise on gumtree!) he mentioned it to me

so I checked it out looks like they are highly regarded, so I booked a couple hours with them on the 15th of October 12:30-2:30Pm

interesting times ahead!

I also bought "The Official DVSA Theory Test Kit for Car Drivers Online" from here https://www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/

for me to study in the meantime :) 

Good luck with your lessons LightBulbFun 

2 hours ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Good luck with your lessons LightBulbFun 

I only booked a couple hours for now, as the plan is to see how the 2 hours go, see whether or not I get on well with the driving instructor and depending on how that goes, ill ask the driving instructor on how many lessons  he thinks I may need and at what frequency and then ill then hopefully book a bigger block of lessons :)

(I don't want to book a bunch of lessons and spend a bunch of money with an instructor I have not met before only to find I don't get on well with said instructor for whatever reason)

but yeah exciting/interesting times ahead! (also a little bit nervous LOL)

I wonder what modern shit box thats probably devoid of all road feel ill end up driving for the lessons LOL

Excellent news! :-) Hope you have a great time in your first lesson. Look forward to the photos!

In other news, @Six-cylinder took Dolly's paperwork off to the Post Office today and got her tax class changed. The new V5C that I've had only since Monday has now gone off back to the DVLA to have the details updated..