LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

thanks for the tips, ill keep it all in mind :)

truth be told I think iv already had a root canal done somewhere (its where they blow torch a bit of metal then shove into part of a tooth right?) that was a good year or so ago

as for wisdom teeth I currently have 1 wisdom tooth, didn't actually even know about it until my last check up about a month ago, my mum says wisdom teeth are unusual for this family,

noticed something weird about VES108S

it has Scottish registration plate which is odd for a Invacar but iv was told this was one sold privately, so thought ok that explains the plate, but I noticed just now that https://cazana.com/uk/car/VES108S says it was registered near Chelmsford (which makes sense for an Invacar Model 70 normally)

so i did a bit of checking on the DVLA and noticed some other imported cars with VESxxxS plates, so I wonder if VES108S originally had a different plate and was plate raped like the Mk12E, JBY503J

so this then also raises the question is VES108S actually a private or an ex DHSS car?

well that was a bomb shell for stuart  :mrgreen:

turns out he hadn't noticed what I had noticed until now, so we now think it originally had a WOO-S or WVW-S plate which fits in with my other WOO/WVW Model 70s I have documented given the date of registrations, and that it was a ministry car not a private one

I kinda feel bad for Fraser now, guess someone has to tell him now...

Probably but im not going to complain  :mrgreen:

heres the history on that Routemaster (Cavcraft look away now LOL)

post-25614-0-43969800-1552679116_thumb.png

good old ians bus stop, iv been visiting his website since I was 4 :)

I had a good night/early morning (till about 4AM) chatting with stuart,

learnt some interesting tidbits

like how after about 1976 Model 70s did get a head liner as stock, but that the one in TWC is weird and not of ministry spec

we suspect it may have been made as a small batch when a service centre just needed a few spares

it looks like combined with the roll over bar and the larger speedo, Model 70s got a bit of a mid life "face lift" in the mid 1970s :)

the registration plate for the oldest known (but not surviving sadly) Invacar Model 70 is REV707K (chassis number INV89) which comes back as December 1971, so it took Invacar about 6 months to make 800 Model 70s (seeing as TWC Is June 1972)

oh and as for controls, they where all fully assembled on the production line, with some being built specifically for the first users needs,

and then also after the fact they would of been adapted as needed (I wonder if anyones got a picture of the Same Model 70 but with 2 different control schemes?  :) )

oh and iv updated the survivors list with VPF441M which belongs to the ICR collection (they have a small gaggle various ICs it turns out :) including 7 Mk12s IIRC, Might be worth it for egg to ask them for VIN numbers )

and on the subject of the ICR, they do indeed have all of Stuarts paperwork now (a couple large filing cabinets and a few large boxes worth!)

7 MK12s! Wow, they aren't the big Al one's then? Any idea where they are D?

I'll ask Kathryn about them anyway.

about 13 Mk12s where found dumped in the woods in Trysull in about 2013 :)

3 became art sculptures 7 went to the ICR, and 3 had to be left behind which were then hoovered up by Graham & Danny walker (apparently the same guys doing all the french stuff on the Microcar FB page) (the 2 pictured together with the broken body work round the head lamp, are 2 of those 3)

as to where those are all now Im not sure sadly

(it turns out you could actually buy an Invacar for £1 as long as you where going to scrap it, but many people did not, and the ministry put and end to that in about 1984)

Ah ok, so one of the art sculpture ones is that gold one in Liverpool - I actually emailed the agent of the artist that did that and asked for the chassis number, lol ;-) (no response...)

I asked Dan Walker last week what happened to KWC896J, and he was kind enough to tell me that he sold it - and would pass on my request for the chassis number for that one to the new owner (a collector apparently) - I'm waiting to hear back on that one too. 

Oh thank you very much that would make for a nice read :)

(still not sure what the deal is with that one, pretty sure it does have its stock engine, but the DVLA says its 900cc LOL)

post-25614-0-32725300-1552769216_thumb.png

looks like Mr Q plate has found the Microcar facebook page :) (i did not direct him to it yet, so must of found it on his own :) )

Model 70 in Autoshite colours  :mrgreen: one thing that imidently caught my eye was the rear light clusters, one would say there not stock, but at the same time, I swear iv seen another Model 70 with the same rear lights, ill have to try and dig that photo up and see what the deal is....

post-25614-0-79159400-1552769259_thumb.jpg

I also wonder if its had a rear end shunt and repair at some point, much like what Zel has done to TPA, cuz that rear end lip looks a bit short and I dont see a rear number plate light

(also Woo 1500th post :) )

Also 10 inch wheels at a guess or am I just seeing things?

BTW, I was sure you would have directed Mr Q plate - almost said so on the thread...

I dont think I did? i directed him to AS a while back, dont know if he signed up or not

but I dont think i had sent him a link to to the Microcar world facebook page yet

(most Model 70 info seems to all be on this forum rather then anywhere else LOL)

aye yeah, little surprised myself, but in a good way :) I hope he continues to post updates there

yeah he is having some carb issues, if im making out what he texted me correctly, some water got into the carb at some point and has rotted things out?

defo sounds like he is planning to keep it rather then flog it on, especially if he is putting money into it now. :)

Catching up here. Amazing work.

TWC's headliner was made in 1997, with a material that very much reminds me of Ford velour. I don't much like it, as it robs headroom, but it does keep the noise down a bit.

All the talking of handling really makes me want to chuck TWC around a bit, but I'm terrified that I'll find the limits, and she's too historically significant for dicking about.

I am planning to take her 'home' to the Greeves factory site this year.

Catching up here. Amazing work.

TWC's headliner was made in 1997, with a material that very much reminds me of Ford velour. I don't much like it, as it robs headroom, but it does keep the noise down a bit.

All the talking of handling really makes me want to chuck TWC around a bit, but I'm terrified that I'll find the limits, and she's too historically significant for dicking about.

I am planning to take her 'home' to the Greeves factory site this year.

Thanks, as is probably evidant iv put a lot of hours into all this :) (well I say that, having no life what soever helps  :mrgreen: )

I think what id be most terrified of in a Model 70 is sudden understeer more then anything

im still hoping you get a chance to drive some earlier invalid carriages/tricycles and do a sort of Invalid vehicle shoot out :)

if you make it to the greeves site, it looks like there just might be a Model 70 there still to greet you and TWC :) (if there is any chance you could bring it back with you for me?  :mrgreen: )

I dont actually know what a factory head liner looks like for a Model 70, will have to see if i can see anything in my pictures :)

im also looking forward to seeing how TWC on 12 inch wheels compares to TPA on 10 inch wheels :) (and also how TWC does for her 2nd MOT :) )

speaking of going fast, I came across this post on the internet https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ac-invacar-70-1975.341502/#post-11192609

90Mph... Hmmm LOL (it reminds me of "Smiths MPH" from busmansholiday's post in TWCs thread  :mrgreen: )

post-25614-0-10104400-1552872942_thumb.gif

:mrgreen:

heres the scans that egg kindly provided me from the magazine he has, assembled into a PDF :)

http://autoshite.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=252808

interesting to note how similar the controls are to the Mk12, and I also wonder if the Mk12 got the same sort of testing during development  :mrgreen:

Maybe better for the bus shite thread? But, I know you love an old bus too! And Yoss checks in here too I think. Local to me.

attachicon.gifP3150065.JPG

attachicon.gifP3150064.JPG

Yes, I do check in, thanks but I was a few days behind having just got back from Germany. That's a sad Routemaster, not much original RM left in there and the worst possible engine too (actually second worst now I think about it, the Cummins in the 'Dartmasters' was worse) . The good thing about RMs is that it's all reversible given the time/money.

yeah hence the cavcraft look away bit, as we all know how much he loves* an iveco  :mrgreen:

I think at least with the RMLs they retained their original gearboxes

im happy to say the 1 RML I got to know well was RML2760, the last Routemaster built, and 1 of only 2 (3 if you fudge RML900 in there) RMLs not to be refurbished during the 1990s refurbishment program

and as such RML2760 retains her AEC AV590 engine and original interior lighting and design :) (the other was RML903, the last of the 24 prototype RMLs)

while I road every H15 RM back to the garage I never sadly got a chance to ride RML2760 back to the garage.

Yes RML900 never got put through the LT refurb programme because it had an accident and LT didn't consider it worth repairing. But as we know, any RM is repairable and Clydeside Scottish bought it. It had a Clydeside refurb with carpet type material on the sidewalls and seatbacks (and if my memory isn't playing tricks, on the ceiling too) with fluorescent lights. But it retained its AEC engine and original external lights.

Clydeside brought it back to London for a weekend and ran it on some Finchley routes. This was after Finchley had taken RML903 to Scotland and run it on some Clydeside routes.

Yes, I do check in, thanks but I was a few days behind having just got back from Germany. That's a sad Routemaster, not much original RM left in there and the worst possible engine too (actually second worst now I think about it, the Cummins in the 'Dartmasters' was worse) . The good thing about RMs is that it's all reversible given the time/money.

It's sitting slightly forlornly on a small business park near Herne Bay, mostly motor trades round about. 

Less of this Routemaster chat or I'll need to unsubscribe from the thread!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

what say yee your bus of choice? :)

(if you say Mercedes bendy bus ill have to unsubscribe from my own thread!)

It's sitting slightly forlornly on a small business park near Herne Bay, mostly motor trades round about. 

Roffle? ill have tickets 1 through 59 :)

Yes RML900 never got put through the LT refurb programme because it had an accident and LT didn't consider it worth repairing. But as we know, any RM is repairable and Clydeside Scottish bought it. It had a Clydeside refurb with carpet type material on the sidewalls and seatbacks (and if my memory isn't playing tricks, on the ceiling too) with fluorescent lights. But it retained its AEC engine and original external lights.

Clydeside brought it back to London for a weekend and ran it on some Finchley routes. This was after Finchley had taken RML903 to Scotland and run it on some Clydeside routes.

ah cool :) i had been aware of the major details, and that it was fitted with fluorescent lighting and had a light refurbishment by Clydeside but I was not aware of the finer details like the carpeting :)

I wonder if an AEC AV590 will run on SVO/WVO....