LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Nice pics, I think it took him 40 hours or so the sanding back.

aye and polishing it too! he also had to paint the door, hence it being a slightly different shade from the body (he says he plans to sort that out in the future) 

its interesting to note that it is gel coloured Blue

I still need to get to the bottom of that on the Model 70 front, its not helped that most surviving Model 70's have had about 12 half arsed repaints in their life!

according to the Model 70 manuals etc its gel coloured blue, but I know @Zelandeth said the front section on TPA is painted blue, so I wonder did something change after a certain date etc?

(theres also a thing a friend of @Mrs6C mentioned that apparently AC and Invacar built up the fibreglass layers in different ways, and I have noticed a difference in surface texture and colour of the fibreglass on the non gel coated side between REV and TPA but I still need to investigate/study that further) 

BTW it reminds me, did the Mk12 I found on facebook ever amount to anything? :) 

very cool find and an interesting read, its a shame they dont mention if they are talking about the Model 70 or not! 

also interesting to hear about the gearbox casings, again do wish if they could mention which model they were talking about

although I think the villiers engines came with gearboxes pre attached sort of from villiers but im not 100% sure there

I did notice on the hard top on TPA on the inside so the non gel coated side its much rougher then compared to on REV where it looks much smoother (although still pretty lumpy)

I also noticed those non gel coated sections are greener on ACs then they are on Invacars

(im pretty sure because of this that one of REV's doors is from an AC Model 70 as 1 door is "smooth" and blue and the other one is rough and green)

59 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

BTW it reminds me, did the Mk12 I found on facebook ever amount to anything? :) 

I heard nothing for a month, sent a follow-up message - and the guy says he will try and speak to the owner, just opportunity hasn't presented itself...

Just now, egg said:

I heard nothing for a month, sent a follow-up message - and the guy says he will try and speak to the owner, just opportunity hasn't presented itself...

wonder if it would be worth asking if he knows the location or contact details of the owner so you can cut out the middle man?

3 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

Can a single-cylinder Invacar exceed 30mph? If not, they're still not legal on a motorway.

Top speed of 45Mph! according to the Invacar 12c brochure :) 

Invacar brochure pic 1.jpg

Invacar brochure pic 2.jpg

speaking of Mk12's

the seller of ONO545D got back to me :) that last line is giving me some very silly/stupid/autoshite thoughts! I really do hope someone here gets it, I Just want to make sure it goes to a good home, and not someone who is going to something silly with it, or just try and make a load of profit off off it!

image.thumb.png.9a7ba363c6549e3ab65462525b88299b.png

(as well as explaining to him what I know about ONO454D, and asking if he the old man was still around/if he could put me in contact with him, I explained that I need to get my own invacar on the road and get my driving lessons/test done before I can buy anything, but I have asked if he will be willing to extend the small discount to my close friends :) )

Well that MK12 is obviously a much better prospect than mine because...

(a) the registration is known - so a simple V62 should suffice
(b) it is complete - the exhaust on it looks almost new! As he mentions in the ad, new lights etc are fairly easily obtainable. If the Dynastart stuff is all there and not wholly rusted to pieces, could be an 'easy project'

but....shipping will be expensive and really it's probable value as a runner is only around £1.5k or so (guessing)

it is worth noting that it does not show up on the DVLA checker sadly, but as we clearly demonstrated thats not the end of the world as it turns out :) 

but yeah for a Mk12 it looks to be in surprisingly good shape, it still has its door and everything! LOL

as for value as a runner, I would say you could easily get £2K for it if not more, if you advertise it right, but im not in this game for profit!

but as an example heres PEV627D another Mk12A, which went for £2400 http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=5457

Looks like Graham walker of the microcar world facebook group managed to make it to one of Simon's exhibits

https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/2508031822573098/

and he grabbed some photos of the photos they had up https://www.facebook.com/groups/950689934973969/permalink/2508036439239303/

and theres 2 photos I want to draw particular attention to

first one is this one, check it out @dollywobbler one of TWCs parents 432TWC I think hiding right in the middle :) (im pretty sure that its a W in the middle and WC is the only Essex suffix with a leading W) 

72246447_998164610522933_5879493113608667136_n.thumb.jpg.3caf4ce381d490eea22e83814f5409b6.jpg

if the photo looks somewhat familiar its because its a picture of the same even this photo is of that i posted a while back :) 

image.png

second photo is this one, 2 things of not here, 1 is the OPL-L Model 70 at the back, its interesting to see a Model 70 from that block on white on black plates, since the OPL341L-OPL540L block spans 31st of January to 7th of March 1973, right after when white on black plates where outlawed, so its a bit cheeky in that regard LOL

second thing of note is the plastic wing mirror on the GPB5xxN model 70 right up front, most Model 70's I have seen pictured have had metal wing mirrors, but I know BPE35H one of the Prototype user trial cars has a plastic wing mirror, and checking some period photos of earlier Model 70's also show plastic wing mirrors so I wonder if it was a case of whatever was on the shelf that day or if there was some rhyme or reason to it (ie was it a production change at some point, and also I imagine the plastic ones would of been weaker, which explains even early Model 70's these days having metal wing mirrors)

71962100_998164447189616_2635953650123407360_n.thumb.jpg.e357513c8375b96ed0ea1c2e6e91bb1d.jpg

funnily enough I have a picture of OPD706L, which is part of the block immediately prior to the OPL-L block, on black on white plates, although said AC Model 70 is wearing an Invacar badge so who the hell knows whats gone on there LOL

14246296034_a94f0132f0_o.jpg

6 minutes ago, mjrose78 said:

Invacar on channel 4 now!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Oh cool! i saw rumblings of that on the Microcar facebook group, thanks for the heads up :) 

sadly I dont have a TV nor a channel 4 account online, so if someone could grab pictures for me that would be awesome :) 

its not a Tippen Delta with the Reg BKV327D was it?

23 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Oh cool! i saw rumblings of that on the Microcar facebook group, thanks for the heads up :) 

sadly I dont have a TV nor a channel 4 account online, so if someone could grab pictures for me that would be awesome :) 

its not a Tippen Delta with the Reg BKV327D was it?

It was a brief visit to a chap in North Yorkshire somewhere who had a collection of twelve various invalid carriages, including a Model 70. I didn't catch the reg number.

Just now, eifion said:

It was a brief visit to a chap in North Yorkshire somewhere who had a collection of twelve various invalid carriages, including a Model 70. I didn't catch the reg number.

I managed to setup a Channel 4 account so I can watch it online :) as I thought it was with the ICR, its a shame I wasn't there to keep all the facts in check! :mrgreen:

image.thumb.png.1c291f90e6722aa825570f5505aad4fe.png

You may have already seen this, but I'm just watching an episode of Great British Car Journeys on 4... they're in Yorkshire and, after meeting a bunch of Jowett enthusiasts, they do a brief interview with some dude who owns about 20 invalid carriages of varying types.

IMG_1779.thumb.JPG.f11e879b61230021cc2fdf983458a062.JPG

IMG_1780.thumb.JPG.e595dd494c948a7893b4c64c570a6934.JPG

If you've not seen it, you should be able to get it from 4OD.

EDIT: I see it's already been mentioned! Oh well, as you were!

1 minute ago, strangeangel said:

You may have already seen this, but I'm just watching an episode of Great British Car Journeys on 4... they're in Yorkshire and, after meeting a bunch of Jowett enthusiasts, they do a brief interview with some dude who owns about 20 invalid carriages of varying types.

IMG_1779.thumb.JPG.f11e879b61230021cc2fdf983458a062.JPG

If you've not seen it, you should be able to get it from 4OD.

aye thats Simon Mckeown the guy who runs the invalid carriage register 

Im hoping to meet with him in person some time, and hopefully become part of the ICR!

while he runs the ICR, he sadly is struggling with it quite a bit, im hoping to get my foot in the door and sort things out :) 

for example in the above shot, you see he displayed that Model 70 on the plates "OYP595" which is actually the plates off an AC petite,  and now if someone looks up those plates on the DVLA its going to come back as an AC Petite, which is misleading and is not what that vehicle actually is!

made worse by the fact its not actually mentioned in the video what it is, so someone will be all the more likely to try and look up that number plate on the DVLA to find out what it is

(if your wondering that Model 70's actual reg no it is PPC363R)

16 minutes ago, JeeExEll said:

It is indeed an old and interesting one.  The ebay listing was from earlier this year and I just saved the interesting pic at the time so no further info.

My dad had a 1970 Cortina 1600E, JSO 300H, which was written off by the next owner in winter 1977 / 78, long before the records were computerised.  Still showing on DVLA records.

I think things where computerised over a period from 1974 to 1983 or thereabouts

I know 1974 is when things centralised thats for sure

just did some quick googling on the matter and heres heres an interesting FOI request https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/vehicle_licence_records_held_by

I wonder if this microfiche stuff is what the guy @egg spoke to on the phone, was on about? (when egg was V62ing for a V5 for his Invacar that did not show up on the DVLA checker at the time, the guy on the other end said people where running around checking the pre DVLC records or something like that)

(dragging it over here so I dont derail things too badly!)

Yay I got a chassis plate picture of the Mk12 thats for sale on C&C :)

and the seller said he is willing to extend his discount to yall lot :) (well as I put it in my email "my close friends" )

while the chassis number lines up with what I expected it to be what I did not expect was the fact the chassis plate says its a Mk12B 

according to stuarts small book the Mk12B was only introduced in April 1966, however this Mk12B is from January 1966! 

(its chassis number is about roughly 100 behind PEV627D, which i was expecting as ONO454D is alphabetically just before Pxx-D with PEV627D being a February 1966 car and the fact it looks like ONO-D was first issued in Jan 1966))

the thing is looking at PEV627D's chassis plate im pretty sure it says Mk12A but it might be just the dirt that makes it look like so 

(ONO454Ds chassis plate defo says Mk12B theres no debate about that)

and heres some pictures of the inside that I also asked for :) 

IMG_4213.thumb.JPG.cdde4aa74a257cc5b70b6f281f727e8f.JPG

IMG_4212.thumb.JPG.00c3b0843a5313eaf1309d3e7dff5d5f.JPG

IMG_4214.thumb.JPG.24f4a99a2ba39da394ead5215a0379d2.JPG

so as well as driving lessons 

one of the major things thats been on my mind now the whole government thing done with for now hopefully!

is getting REV roadworthy so I can drive her home etc :) 

and I have been wondering how to go about it exactly,

after speaking with @Zelandeth a little bit, I was wondering if people here would at some point be up for a gathering at the FoD with the main focus being helping me get REV road worthy? :)  

obviously it is your field @Mrs6C and @Six-cylinder so I also ask you specifically if such a gathering/event would be ok with you? :) 

I imagine sadly it will have to wait until the spring now due to the weather, but I figured I should start feeling things out/get the ball rolling so things are ready to go by then

heres a list of things that I know off hand she needs done to be road worthy

New tyres all round

get the brakes working properly, so that means a good servicing/overhaul and probably as a good safety precaution, replacing all the brake lines

give the Fuel system an overhaul (clean out fuel pump and replace all the fuel lines) and stop the fuel tank from leaking

get all the lights working properly and chase any other electrical issues (which is mainly getting the horn working)

and give the carburetor a good cleaning out preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner or such

as well as service the engine (inc dropping the oil strainer thingy) , gearbox and diff with fresh oil 

now a lot of the stuff REV needs I imagine Dolly (OPH868R) will also need so I was also thinking if we setup such a gathering, that after/while getting REV up to scratch if we can, we could also work on Dolly and get her fixed up as well :) 

luckily hopefully  that list aint too bad in the scheme of things and im hoping it can be done within a couple days at the FoD with the aid of some volunteers ,

and hopefully should give people an idea of what tools will be needed, (stuff like an appropriate brake flaring tool etc) sadly I dont own any "big boys" tools yet so if you have any you can bring along it would help a lot! (and if theres anything iv missed on the "what she needs to be road worthy" list please do let me know!)

(I was wondering @Mrs6C if next time your at the FoD if you could yoink out REVs fuel tank so we can see what needs doing to it, the fuel leak from the tank is the main thing im worried about in terms of "small thing that could turn out to be a massive PITA" so im thinking if we get the tank out in advanced of any other work then we know where we stand on that before we show up for the day)

here is also a list of all the spare parts we have on hand, so we know what parts we already have on and also need to figure out what the above list of things that needs doing, needs exactly and what we need in terms of bits and bobs thats NOT in this list so I know to order it up etc (stuff like lengths of brake lines etc)

so if anyone spots anything that you think I may need thats not on my list of spare parts do let me know it will be much appreciated :) 

image.thumb.png.d7acc3f0910990bb685d1d65c089b212.png

image.png.aa8e40ca08a275754d8bc8a94faad1f3.png

and in general im hoping to eventually build up as best as I can a list of parts I know ill need to get REV roadworthy so I can be prepared for when work commences

so yeah would anyone be up for helping me at an Invacar focused FoD gathering at some point? :) 

(obviously no one is under any obligations if they don't want to! but any help would be greatly appreciated! especially as I have little real world experience nor do I have any tools!)

(I did briefly think about the idea of throwing her at a garage, but most garages dont even want to do oil changes properly these days so I dont think a garage would touch a Model 70 with a 10ft barge pole, nor would I really trust them to do things properly!, although I know @Six-cylinder has some trusted garages so it may still be an option if push come to shove?)

if anyone has any other suggestions/ideas im all ears and open to advice! 

I fully accept that I am a noob when it comes to this sort of thing!

and I hope people dont mind that im asking for this sort of thing! im very much aware of the taking the piss thread!

9 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

so as well as driving lessons 

one of the major things thats been on my mind now the whole government thing done with for now hopefully!

is getting REV roadworthy so I can drive her home etc :) 

and I have been wondering how to go about it exactly,

after speaking with @Zelandeth a little bit, I was wondering if people here would at some point be up for a gathering at the FoD with the main focus being helping me get REV road worthy? :)  

obviously it is your field @Mrs6C and @Six-cylinder so I also ask you specifically if such a gathering/event would be ok with you? :) 

I imagine sadly it will have to wait until the spring now due to the weather, but I figured I should start feeling things out/get the ball rolling so things are ready to go by then

heres a list of things that I know off hand she needs done to be road worthy

New tyres all round

get the brakes working properly, so that means a good servicing/overhaul and probably as a good safety precaution, replacing all the brake lines

give the Fuel system an overhaul (clean out fuel pump and replace all the fuel lines) and stop the fuel tank from leaking

get all the lights working properly and chase any other electrical issues (which is mainly getting the horn working)

and give the carburetor a good cleaning out preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner or such

as well as service the engine (inc dropping the oil strainer thingy) , gearbox and diff with fresh oil 

now a lot of the stuff REV needs I imagine Dolly (OPH868R) will also need so I was also thinking if we setup such a gathering, that after/while getting REV up to scratch if we can, we could also work on Dolly and get her fixed up as well :) 

luckily hopefully  that list aint too bad in the scheme of things and im hoping it can be done within a couple days at the FoD with the aid of some volunteers ,

and hopefully should give people an idea of what tools will be needed, (stuff like an appropriate brake flaring tool etc) sadly I dont own any "big boys" tools yet so if you have any you can bring along it would help a lot! (and if theres anything iv missed on the "what she needs to be road worthy" list please do let me know!)

(I was wondering @Mrs6C if next time your at the FoD if you could yoink out REVs fuel tank so we can see what needs doing to it, the fuel leak from the tank is the main thing im worried about in terms of "small thing that could turn out to be a massive PITA" so im thinking if we get the tank out in advanced of any other work then we know where we stand on that before we show up for the day)

here is also a list of all the spare parts we have on hand, so we know what parts we already have on and also need to figure out what the above list of things that needs doing, needs exactly and what we need in terms of bits and bobs thats NOT in this list so I know to order it up etc (stuff like lengths of brake lines etc)

so if anyone spots anything that you think I may need thats not on my list of spare parts do let me know it will be much appreciated :) 

image.thumb.png.d7acc3f0910990bb685d1d65c089b212.png

image.png.aa8e40ca08a275754d8bc8a94faad1f3.png

and in general im hoping to eventually build up as best as I can a list of parts I know ill need to get REV roadworthy so I can be prepared for when work commences

so yeah would anyone be up for helping me at an Invacar focused FoD gathering at some point? :) 

(obviously no one is under any obligations if they don't want to! but any help would be greatly appreciated! especially as I have little real world experience nor do I have any tools!)

(I did briefly think about the idea of throwing her at a garage, but most garages dont even want to do oil changes properly these days so I dont think a garage would touch a Model 70 with a 10ft barge pole, nor would I really trust them to do things properly!, although I know @Six-cylinder has some trusted garages so it may still be an option if push come to shove?)

if anyone has any other suggestions/ideas im all ears and open to advice! 

I fully accept that I am a noob when it comes to this sort of thing!

and I hope people dont mind that im asking for this sort of thing! im very much aware of the taking the piss thread!

Depending when it was if I'm free I'd be up for coming down to help. 

1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Depending when it was if I'm free I'd be up for coming down to help. 

Ah much appreciated  good to know :) 

no idea on a date yet, I have no idea if what I have just asked is even realistic or not! or if everyone is currently laughing at me!

as you can tell from all the waffling im quite nervous about it!

1 hour ago, mjrose78 said:

More TV invacars. This time on American Pickers on Dave!!

Pre war so may not be of interest. 10f486f81fa421c6581d6bc37ea17af0.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Carter Model G from 1936-1955 :) heres an example that miraculously survives and still shows up on the DVLA!

12794672_1835685529992024_7447961661453596124_o.thumb.jpg.b414c88d826e5871ece940f58112eea5.jpg

and the Model 70 is either UAR977S or UAR978S, not quite sure which due to those 2 having swapped chassis numbers, owned by Ian hellings, the guy has the largest collection of invalid vehicles in the world AFAIK!