LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

ohh cool do you have a picture of that 1/76th Model 70? :)

Sadly not but I remember seeing one years ago on a forum I'm no longer a member of because its owner is a twat who reacted badly to my legitimate concerns and banned me as a result.

Ah cool! :) I wonder if triplex (is the company even still around?) would have any info on the glass used in the Model 70 still?

as iv mentioned (or at least I think i did!) on Richards Range rover resto thread, its funny how triplex glass has a fluorescent tube style date code system :)

Ah cool! :) I wonder if triplex (is the company even still around?) :).....

Triplex still exists, sort of. They were bought by Pilkington back in 1929 but it wasn't until the 90's when the Triplex name was finally dropped, car glass is still made at the Triplex factory (branded as Pilkington) at Kings Norton.

GKN bought the Triplex aerospace glass business which is also still in business and across the road from the car glass works.

post-3405-0-38751900-1556045293_thumb.jpg

Note the name of the sports club.

It's no good, you can't keep going on about Triplex without me thinking of these.

post-20743-0-60237900-1556052122_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-39203400-1556052180_thumb.jpg

Also available in Corgi and Scalextric flavours.

post-20743-0-87353500-1556052192_thumb.jpgpost-20743-0-04370300-1556052214_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure anyone of my age had one of the above, I had the Scalextric one. Did any touring car look better than this? You can argue if you like but I'll disagree.

was just doing some more Invacar DVLA bashing and came across YVX206L rather by chance (as in this case I had seen a Model 70 in a video and I went to look it up and nothing came up so started inputting some relatively random numbers to see if I had gotten the letters right)

post-25614-0-64603800-1556503277_thumb.png

another one with the "INVALAR" typo, but not taxed for on-road use? iv not seen that on Model 70 before, only on a really old invalid carriage, and some other stuff like trolley buses

does this mean its still out there somewhere? if I shove its reg into my Reg to VIN plate thingy I do get a Chassis number out

(BTW on that, it indeed looks like at some point both the letter I and O got changed to a 1 and 0 in VIN numbers as I have come across other VIN numbers where they where clearly an I or an O at some point, which explains why most Invacars start with "1NV" rather than "INV")

For datsuncog?, some hot video action of UOI4719 on the road :)

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-year-of-the-disabled-1981-online

(sadly they dont show any other Model 70s)

Fascinating film. So there were 200 odd Invacars in NI in 1981. The government minister said they should last 'another 5 years, maybe longer' - well he was right about that at least...

On 4/29/2019 at 2:39 AM, LightBulbFun said:

For datsuncog?, some hot video action of UOI4719 on the road :)

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-year-of-the-disabled-1981-online

(sadly they dont show any other Model 70s)

Aw man, that's phenomenal - cheers for that!

I vaguely remember Counterpoint on UTV, and aside from the very pertinent debate about the suitability or otherwise of the 'trike' (as it's referred to throughout) as a means of transport for people with disabilities, that on-the-road footage is awesome.

As I think I posted earlier on from the Ulster Transport Museum information board, UOI4719 was owned by Mary Boyce who competed in national rallies in her Model 70 (seen here in the queue for the ferry at Belfast Harbour):

20190205_123823.jpg

UOI might have had a fair few miles on it, if it was regularly driving down from Heysham to Silverstone!

The footage of UOI was filmed around the town of Newtownards in Co.Down, where I went to school - it's fantastic to see footage of High Street and Frances Street as they were in 1981.

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - High St 1.png

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - High St 2.png

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981.png

The cars in the background were just street furniture then, but absolute gold now. That beige E70 Corolla would have been nearly new, and (as it's wearing a Co. Down plate) was most likely supplied by Rosepark Toyota, just a stone's throw away at the junction of the Portaferry Road.

I think the residential area on the film is the maybe the Bowtown Estate, or possibly Ballybeen out towards Dundonald direction - but I can't be sure, as it was extensively remodelled in the 1990s, and all the older maisonettes flattened. It's definitely not the Scrabo Estate (older), or West Winds (built on reclaimed flood plain, and so very flat. And very wet, when it rains).

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Bowtown Estate 1.png

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Bowtown Estate 2.png

Again, Viva HCs, Mk3 Cortinas, B310 Datsun Sunnys and FE Victors... wow. I'm a bit young to remember these cars when they were common on local roads, so this is great to see.

Coincidentally, I was over in Ards on Saturday with MrsDC, ordering wallpaper and trying to look for some furniture.

'Thompson's The Bakers', on the corner of Conway Square and High St, is now a Caffe Nero.

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Conway Square, Thompson's Bakery.png

The square's been fully pedestrianised for years now - I never remember traffic able to pass through it or park.

I also dragged MrsDC up and down several streets looking for a particular independent furniture store that used to sell interesting locally made pieces: "I'm sure it's around here - it's on a corner, beside an arcade."

AC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Wright's Arcade.png

Why, what's this, right at the end of the documentary?

Wright's Arcade, Newtownards - 1981.png

It's the very shop. Now no longer there, it would seem, though clearly it was in the same spot for a very long time.

Cheers again!

PLUS: bonus Renault R15 action at the 18:00 minute mark... 3-stud wheels FTW. Phoarrr.

Renault 15 - NI, 1981.png

Incidentally, I've had no response via official email channels from the Ulster Transport Museum re. having a proper look at WOI - so if there's no further response to my reminder email, then my next move is to call on my contact...

FAO: NMNI Ulster Transport Museum

I wrote to you via this contact form on 27 March to inquire how I would go about requesting an appointment to take a closer look at a specific vehicle in your collection, on behalf of officials from a recognised marque owner's club and register.  I have not yet received any response after 20 working days.

Grateful if you could advise whether I need to make this request through other channels, or provide any other documentation to support it.

As mentioned in my previous email, I am an NMNI member and the inspection should not take longer than a minute or two. The intention is to read the chassis number and Vehicle Identification Plate which, when referenced with manufacturer records held by the Club Registrar, would confirm or deny a theory that cars supplied to Northern Ireland were first registered in GB.

Thanking you in anticipation of a reply,

DATSUNCOG

Aw man, that's phenomenal - cheers for that!

I vaguely remember Counterpoint on UTV, and aside from the very pertinent debate about the suitability or otherwise of the 'trike' (as it's referred to throughout) as a means of transport for people with disabilities, that on-the-road footage is awesome.

As I think I posted earlier on from the Ulster Transport Museum information board, UOI4719 was owned by Mary Boyce who competed in national rallies in her Model 70 (seen here in the queue for the ferry at Belfast Harbour):

attachicon.gif20190205_123823.jpg

UOI might have had a fair few miles on it, if it was regularly driving down from Heysham to Silverstone!

The footage of UOI was filmed around the town of Newtownards in Co.Down, where I went to school - it's fantastic to see footage of High Street and Frances Street as they were in 1981.

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - High St 1.png

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - High St 2.png

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981.png

The cars in the background were just street furniture then, but absolute gold now. That beige E70 Corolla would have been nearly new, and (as it's wearing a Co. Down plate) was most likely supplied by Rosepark Toyota, just a stone's throw away at the junction of the Portaferry Road.

I think the residential area on the film is the maybe the Bowtown Estate, or possibly Ballybeen out towards Dundonald direction - but I can't be sure, as it was extensively remodelled in the 1990s, and all the older maisonettes flattened. It's definitely not the Scrabo Estate (older), or West Winds (built on reclaimed flood plain, and so very flat. And very wet, when it rains).

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Bowtown Estate 1.png

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Bowtown Estate 2.png

Again, Viva HCs, Mk3 Cortinas, B310 Datsun Sunnys and FE Victors... wow. I'm a bit young to remember these cars when they were common on local roads, so this is great to see.

Coincidentally, I was over in Ards on Saturday with MrsDC, ordering wallpaper and trying to look for some furniture.

'Thompson's The Bakers', on the corner of Conway Square and High St, is now a Caffe Nero.

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Conway Square, Thompson's Bakery.png

The square's been fully pedestrianised for years now - I never remember traffic able to pass through it or park.

I also dragged MrsDC up and down several streets looking for a particular independent furniture store that used to sell interesting locally made pieces: "I'm sure it's around here - it's on a corner, beside an arcade."

attachicon.gifAC Model 70 UOI4719 - Newtownards, 1981 - Wright's Arcade.png

Why, what's this, right at the end of the documentary?

attachicon.gifWright's Arcade, Newtownards - 1981.png

It's the very shop. Now no longer there, it would seem, though clearly it was in the same spot for a very long time.

Cheers again!

PLUS: bonus Renault R15 action at the 18:00 minute mark... 3-stud wheels FTW. Phoarrr.

attachicon.gifRenault 15 - NI, 1981.png

Incidentally, I've had no response via official email channels from the Ulster Transport Museum re. having a proper look at WOI - so if there's no further response to my reminder email, then my next move is to call on my contact...

ah very cool stuff! im glad the video has also provided prime chod spotting opportunities and some location revisiting :)

indeed I had recognised UOI4719 from your posts :)

(hence why I said sadly they dont show any other Model 70s, as I was hoping to get some more NI Model 70s to research etc!)

hopefully your reminder email goes somewhere!, im still very much looking forward to seeing what the details on WOI654 are :)

Fascinating film. So there were 200 odd Invacars in NI in 1981. The government minister said they should last 'another 5 years, maybe longer' - well he was right about that at least...

Yeah, I still wonder what the setup was in NI, who looked after/distributed the invacars, and how far back did it go? where there Mk12s Model 67s and tippen deltas running around on NI plates?

200 odd Invacars really aint much, especially when you consider there where about 18-19 thousand Model 70s produced (of which less then 100 are thought to still exist today)

(did NI not have that many disabled drivers or was getting an Invacar in NI a hard process?)

I also wonder if any other small British dependants also got invacars like Jersey? I know a few made it to the small scottish islands where a few still remain, very rusty and derelict sadly (pretty much the only case of a rusted out Model 70 iv come across)

I've kinda wondered that myself. Possibilities might include:

• reasonably wealthy people who didn't want to join a waiting list for NHS assessment and provision to become independent/regain their independence (I've no idea what sort of timescales applied from application to assessment to receiving an Invacar in the 1970s, but I'd guess the process still took a while - whereas buying privately from the manufacturer would be 'off the shelf');
  • people who preferred the idea of owning their vehicle, rather than the 'owner' being the NHS (sounds weird, but I know some older people who have a massive aversion to feeling in debt/being dependent on others, to the point of pre-paying all their utilities up front so they never receive a bill);
  • people who weren't disabled but may have been able to expolit the no-licence nature of the vehicles - wild guess here, but did Invacars inadvertantly fall into a similar category to the French sans-permis vehicles, which were/are often used by people who lose their license through the courts?
  • people who really, really wanted to park at the touchline at football games (okay, probably not that one).
  • eccentric millionaires who liked to move about incognito - the same way you could buy an upmarket version of the Austin FX4 in non-taxi 'limousine' spec - the Austin FL2. Apparently a few high-profile people once used FL2s to get around London without being noticed, including Lawrence Olivier, various peers of the realm and (most famously) Phil The Greek. I mean, what are you more likely to think: "Wow, I just saw Howard Hughes drive past in an Invacar" or "Wow, that fella who just drove past in an Invacar is an absolute double for Howard Hughes" (ok, probably not that one either - but have a pic of an FL2 anyway).
attachicon.gif Austin FL2 Limousine.jpg

I sadly did not save the link, but while sleuthing on the internet, I did come across a forum post on some forum, about someones father who actually did keep an Invacar in his shed just for football reasons  :mrgreen:

(I dont know if the invacar was a DHSS provided example or what however LOL)

LBF - I've shared the Northern Ireland video with the ICR people - and I don't think they have seen it before - both were very happy (I said a friend had found it, not me!)

In other news - a Model 70 is going on display, have a look on their Facebook page - it is at the 'Thought Foundation' in Gateshead.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/invalidcarriageregister/

3 hours ago, mrbenn said:

Good find! Was that an original colour option?

pretty sure it was, its a period photo, not of one that still survives sadly

9 minutes ago, egg said:

LBF - I've shared the Northern Ireland video with the ICR people - and I don't think they have seen it before - both were very happy (I said a friend had found it, not me!)

In other news - a Model 70 is going on display, have a look on their Facebook page - it is at the 'Thought Foundation' in Gateshead.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/invalidcarriageregister/

its a shame you cant get shares in a car club/register, so I could get 51% and sort things out :mrgreen:

I do think its kinda sad that they are using OYP595, a Ringed Model 70, they really aught to be projecting a better image than that

(not only is a ringed car quite dodgy, it also gives people false information if anyone decides to look it up on the DVLA for more info)

I did ask in the ICR's photo about OYP595 and if they could grab me a picture of its actual chassis number :)

so heres a few cool things I dug up while the forum was down

(really what did you expect me to do while the forum was down? :mrgreen: )

23951989940_66b31c2d04_o.thumb.jpg.04ea9e07f4ac1bd46badb77b64c13b5d.jpg

first up I found a picture of the odd Model 67 from the other side, and look no door! I wonder if this was one adapted for Left hand controls then? (all other Model 67s I have come across have a door on this side, and no door on the other side)

(on these earlier invalid carriages like the Model 67 and Invacar Mk12, the controls blocked one side of the car, probably why they only had 1 door)

Second thing is, a Model 70 for sale in the US I think? https://www.orlandoautomuseum.com/vehicles/1465/1977-ac-invacar

3rd thing is https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_big_jiggety/2099262999/in/photolist-4cvgKD-hqjss6-df7azF-h5ryE2-846Xqa-qmokzh-bG61eF-xcw43Q-Wx1r53-7CPmeJ-ahyiD4-9diKJh-df7aV4-289cvGj-e3hm4E-KRb5BK-WcHu6j-8wHMJF-df7aBs-oD1A1s-ajVWrx-NHtTK2-Ky2aii-9PL9rv-qeebGy-29MAxB5-adntsj-GjLTuA-56jgYa-28gXAPU-27RzFuV-RFnW82-7WmfLe-ceg3ph-NxBWsg-qz4Kjn-8qaJoe-28ofSN3-avsAMK-bxHyTj-5HPvyW-5HXCdu-7BSySQ-Z7GaaN-7WmkkM-2aqnDqV-K57Uad-5BfCbv-Nx5Mju-2dwFyFt

2099262999_bf893d6e59_o.thumb.jpg.589a87eedaefbade4a3fd68d70e0b696.jpg

an AC Model 70 that was running around around with an Invacar badge, I wonder how that happened :)

edit:

4988661991_3496140baf_o.thumb.jpg.857e9019861f6f637f70fc079404e83d.jpg

YAY I found another S reg series to bash into the DVLA! (the Reg is XEV95S in that picture)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aqualite/4988661991/in/photolist-8AQcpD-ahB51Q-bNCMTP-4rwUNK-oVPYSs-Cgfom-xtjw55-8iCw3d-df7a2v-4cvgKD-hqjss6-df7azF-h5ryE2-846Xqa-qmokzh-bG61eF-xcw43Q-Wx1r53-7CPmeJ-ahyiD4-9diKJh-df7aV4-289cvGj-e3hm4E-KRb5BK-WcHu6j-8wHMJF-df7aBs-oD1A1s-ajVWrx-NHtTK2-Ky2aii-9PL9rv-qeebGy-29MAxB5-adntsj-GjLTuA-56jgYa-28gXAPU-27RzFuV-RFnW82-7WmfLe-ceg3ph-NxBWsg-qz4Kjn-8qaJoe-28ofSN3-avsAMK-bxHyTj-5HPvyW

(I had come across the picture before but in low rez form where I could just make out the Invacar was an S reg one, but not the rest of the registration, im very happy to have found another S reg block to look up and hopefully fill in the gaps of Final Model 70 production :) )

ok so this was all very exciting :)

the XEV block starts at XEV49S all the way to XEV116S from what I can tell

and, it jumps off from where the WVW-S block ended :) (which up until now was the latest invacar registration series I knew of)

and guess what VES108S is part of the XEV-S block

since XEV86S is *redacted*, and VES108S is *redacted*, and guess what XEV88S is on... a white 1993 Isuzu LOL, just as  I thought someone had stolen VES108S's plate, (the rest of the XEV-S block being invacars of course)

1991223019_Screenshot2019-05-02at13_23_18.thumb.png.3c4cd89cd87541444d5de7f2db5700ec.png

also WOO848S is actually XEV87S, well if you remember back WOO848S came back as *redacted*, which does not fit in with any of the WOO-S invacars, sadly XEV87S which is what I suspect WOO848S is actually, has not been taxed since 1985, so I cant look it up for its Chassis number to verify it (I do wonder is WOO848S really XEV87S, or did someone make a typo somewhere and WOO848S, really is WOO848S?)

also XEV71S has its revenue weight actually listed on the online checker not seen that before, (all other Model 70's just say "Not available" despite it being on the V5) its also interesting to see its down as 413Kg rather then 410Kg, I wonder if its a Typo or if it really did go up for newer Model 70s, I have asked Fraser what the V5 for VES108S says hopefully he will get back to me on it

1483680975_Screenshot2019-05-02at13_16_43.thumb.png.73082b9397d44c4d230edd1f184635bd.png

XEV116S is *redacted*, So close to *redacted* which is SOI7570 the NI Invacar Model 70

So Fraser did get back to me :)

and interestingly enough VES108S has 414kg listed as her weight on the V5, so at some point the weight of the Model 70 went up 3-4Kg, Well on the V5 at least, TWC/TPA say 410Kg and so did JPA268N according to fraser its interesting to note the workshop manual has it down as 406Kg LOL

I wonder if the weight went up because of the roll bar and other changes they made in 1975-1976 or so?

it is worth noting that this does mean an earlier Model 70 would be a "Motor cycle" in the eyes of the RTA, but later Model 70 would be a "Motor car" LOL

image.thumb.png.4d1f5263d7c75ca408ac53aedfe67b3f.png

Woo my 2000th posts :)

to celebrate it have a montage of buses and Model 70s

3800603744_f3368a505c_z.jpg.489d485800879d119cb5ff27692279a8.jpg

30550234803_d579adca4a_h.thumb.jpg.e239d28989427b4d93ccaa1a1f8c02b0.jpg

46570788254_b3ceae8b45_h.thumb.jpg.6030f3adbbb3cf480088a9d34cc223f0.jpg

2539411018_cac597ea50_o.thumb.jpg.c6b715b1a58e51f0cdeecc6fd78fdc54.jpg

post-25614-0-01577800-1548430486.thumb.jpg.a4c041ee4001530d0b92798d8d91b81c.jpg

14246296034_a94f0132f0_o.thumb.jpg.1b540af84c13854702bc5768f8284d7d.jpg

32607104391_4ea20eae5d_h.thumb.jpg.9f08807257e243ddddbd94a2bbe81f3c.jpg

(OPD706L is another AC Model 70 wearing an Invacar badge) Most these photos where found on flicker, just search "invacar" and you will see them if your looking for the original sources :)  

also while bashing the DVLA during the great* AS outage I came across another Invacar Model 70 that shows up as a Reliant on the DVLA LOL (the other being WVW292S) im curious between these 2, and the 2 Aircraft tugs, was reliant the DVLAs default maker if they couldn't figure out who made the vehicle for some reason/if the system pissed itself? LOL

1558397150_Screenshot2019-04-30at21_39_09.thumb.png.1ae403d8657e0ae67b8bcf4b9253a167.png





 <Hannah****@nmni.com>
Fri 03/05/2019 13:57

Dear DATSUNCOG,

Thank you for providing more information for us. We will get the images for you in the first instance, but if they do not prove sufficient we can arrange for you to come in and view the car.

I hope to have the images/information for you next week.

We look forward to finding the answers too!

Best Wishes,

Hannah

Well, this looks promising. I've sent pics across, so they know where to find the VIN and chassis number locations on WOI. Fingers crossed!

Awesome stuff, im happy to see they are willing to corporate :)

it sounds like they dont really know much about their own Model 70! do you know where/how the museum found WOI654?

(BTW going by how VES108S was the latest known Invacar Model 70 Stuart knew about (before SOI7570)  and how he thought it may of originally been a WVW/WOO car, I dont think he knew about the XEV-S block of Invacar Model 70s so im excited to tell him about them when he comes back to the internet :) )

On 3/6/2011 at 9:07 PM, wuvvum said:

Hmm. That Invacar's obviously been deregistered, so could be a bit of an arse to get back on the road again, seeing as how technically it should have been squished years ago. Might have to be registered as an AC Petite or something.

well that explains* OYP595 then :mrgreen:

fs_1954_ac_invacar_front_left_view.jpg