LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

in better REV news, I have been informed the kingpin and bushes have been refitted and everything buttoned back up! I am very pleased to hear this, as this has been one of REV's longer-standing issues that was first noticed all the way back in 2021! so I am glad to see the end of it so to speak :)

and with that Duncan discovered the fun that is the Model 70 fasteners! 

That’s the king pin done.  In the end it was reasonably straightforward : it was just a case of removing the worn bushes without incurring further damage and getting the correct mandrel to insert the new bushes.  That’s taken away all the play in the hub.  Brakes are all re-assembled and adjusted.

Well, when I say straightforward I was leaving out the best part.  The 2 bolts holding the steering arm onto the hub were shorter than I would have liked for the job they’re supposed to do.  And they weren’t in the best of condition so I thought I would just replace them as a matter of course.  I wasn’t convinced they were UNF but at that age I doubted that they’d be metric.  Sure enough the UNF bolt did not want to go in more than a thread so I thought they must be metric after all.  Wrong.  So I got my thread gauge out and found they were 22 TPI ( threads per inch ).  BSF.  BS fucking F !!  Sure enough, I got out my box of BSF / BSW taps and the 5/16 tap ran straight through the holes.  I know we’re not dealing with a 21st century vehicle but BSF went out with flat caps & outside water closets.  I can only think of one other garage within a 63.8 mile radius that would have a tub of BSF / Whitworth bolts to rake through to get a couple of suitable replacements.  The ones I found in my stock are also a higher grade than those I took out so I'm happy with that.

have to admit that gave me a good chuckle :mrgreen:

however in the course of putting things back together, this was noticed!

What I did notice putting it all back together was that on full lock the wheel cylinder was actually hitting the swing arm.  Definitely not desirable.  So I've made up a blocking plate to act as a lock stop to eliminate any potential issues.  Photos attached.

Invac(2).jpg.979b9e8dd357b9b1b99e5b9f43adc80d.jpg

which I find most interesting from a “I am a sad bastard who studies every nut and bolt of these machines” perspective :) 

because one of the things written in the parts manual is

"STY403 Steering top plate (C/W 2x 5/16" BSF bolt x 3/4" long packed in sets) NOTE: For use with Left hand Steering lock when LP 1161 wheels (Store STY 474) are fitted"

(Dunlop LP 1161 wheels are the standard 10 inch Mini 21A2744 wheels that later Model 70's like REV have)

The thing, I have never been able to figure out what "Left hand steering lock" actually is! It’s not listed anywhere else in the parts manual apart from that note, but I have to wonder if the steering lock, is what Duncan has just made himself?

Invac(4).jpg.cd6d549dfba46040d74ca3d6a0954d86.jpg

I think this might be something @Zelandeth you might want to check on TPA, especially as TPA is on 10 inch wheels when she started out life on 12 inch wheels

and then some other items where sorted out also :) 

When I refitted the front inner mud wing I noticed that the locking finger for the bonnet didn’t actually latch into its metal slot bolted to the body so I dismantled the lock mechanism & welded an extension on so that it now has a positive engagement when locked.  I also re-shaped the safety latch which was doing virtually nothing so that it too now has a positive effect.  The bonnet will not now fly open as you reach that 82 mph limit !!  Again, photos attached.

Invac(5).jpg.9288c47ccea5e48fafd5ed38132e8605.jpg

Invac(6).jpg.868ef2d1b84bfe481bf51a5f55dd2c63.jpg

51 minutes ago, egg said:

I thought you'd appreciate this, Dez.

image.png.856bc23bb6dac16ba85f2dc908c3c7c3.png

I have one back at you in that regard, in that I recently found out that K155 xxx registrations where where often withheld  from issue, and only very rarely actually issued in period, (im guessing because K155 = Kiss) not something I actually realised because of one certain Mondeo  :)