LightBulbFun

Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! 7th lesson had! finding all the NI cars

14 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Those sand bags are to stop damage BUT, somewhere in BR's archives will be a loading and rigging (where to strap it to) diagram showing how an Invacar should be tied down to the flat wagon to stop it moving. Things like that happened for a reason, the Beighton train accident in 1942 being a point. 

very interesting, are those diagrams/archives available to the public? it would be interesting to see how/if it varied from model to model etc and just how it was done :) 

imagine finding a load of Invacars in a field etc somewhere and having them transported by train, meanwhile some poor OAP sitting at a rail crossing sees a train load of invacars go past and thinks he has ended up back in 1971 again! :mrgreen:

(what happened in that train accident? I did a quick google/wikipedia search and could not find anything?)

28 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

very interesting, are those diagrams/archives available to the public? it would be interesting to see how/if it varied from model to model etc and just how it was done :) 

imagine finding a load of Invacars in a field etc somewhere and having them transported by train, meanwhile some poor OAP sitting at a rail crossing sees a train load of invacars go past and thinks he has ended up back in 1971 again! :mrgreen:

(what happened in that train accident? I did a quick google/wikipedia search and could not find anything?)

The Beighton accident was this one:
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Beighton1942.pdf

Here is the Railways Archive and how to get started making use of it:
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/gettingstarted.php

14 minutes ago, Mrs6C said:

Something else you might find interesting, if you haven't see it already:
https://inmatesofwillard.com/2013/11/13/1948-the-invacar/

Ivan the Invacar! :-)
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q="ivan+the+invacar"

aye indeed iv seen those :)

XGX224 is AFAIK, the only Invacar exported to the US when new

from what I understand it was sent over there to test the market for them in the US but there was little interest

I believe XGX224 is/was a temporary export plate

funnily enough PWC801 survives and is with ian hellings also in the US, and I say funnily enough, because PWC801 is 1 chassis number behind from XGX224, what are the chances of that :) 

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-ViewVehicle-2019-11-14-01_06_27.thumb.png.5268e0b406757a34c7b8ee160e65568e.png

Yay found an earlier Mk14 that shows up on the DVLA which means I can pull its chassis number and finally see what a Mk14's chassis number looks like :) 

if the reg looks somewhat familiar this is probably why :) (im also pretty sure the Mk14 pictured on the wagon is UPC797F)

image.png

sadly of the 2-3 known surviving Mk14's none have any known identifying marks, so until now I dont think anyone knew what a Mk14 chassis number looks like 

its interesting to note that the chassis number starts with "FG"

I wonder it stands for Fibreglass? as in for Fibreglass AC Acedes (since before the Mk14 was the Mk12 which was made out of aluminium)

after that from WPG607G/WPK129G I know theres a chassis block that starts with TA for the Mk14As

then the earlier Mk15's start with PFS and the later Mk15s start with OHM

I wonder if "PFS" stands for parallelogram front suspension as that was the major change with the Mk15

the question then being is what major(ish) change would abbreviate to TA and OHM? if the chassis number letters do stand for a major change that happened