LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

1 minute ago, ETCHY said:

I'm liking the sound of that book. Does it have photo's of the cars in too, is it worth a potential number plate geek buying ?

Definitely, but you'll want the companion volume covering 1963-74 as well. They're incredibly detailed and thoroughly researched works covering the exact sequence of issues in every area and all the odd exceptions to the usual rules. Not a lot of photos, just a selection illustrating plates issued in each area, but some interesting ones that don't appear to have been published elsewhere. They give the impression of being a lifetime's work but were really just a side project as Jonathan Del Mar is much better known for his equally detailed study of Beethoven's music.

9 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Definitely, but you'll want the companion volume covering 1963-74 as well. They're incredibly detailed and thoroughly researched works covering the exact sequence of issues in every area and all the odd exceptions to the usual rules. Not a lot of photos, just a selection illustrating plates issued in each area, but some interesting ones that don't appear to have been published elsewhere. They give the impression of being a lifetime's work but were really just a side project as Jonathan Del Mar is much better known for his equally detailed study of Beethoven's music.

this is the exact sort of thing I live for :) do you have a link to a preferred retailer/where you got your copies from?

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

hah cool, I am already aware of the block, GPL301N-GPL500N, but no not seen that specific Model 70/picture before now 

I wonder what it was being shown for? talking about how on the 1st of October 1974, the day the DVLC took over from local offices how all registration series reset to Gxx-N?

It's just one of a selection of photos on the Guildford page showing registrations issued by that authority. No particular significance and no caption detailing when and where it was taken. I guess it's just a car he stumbled across on his travels and decided to take a photo of. This volume starts from the October 74 changes and the preface goes into great detail about what happened then - it really is some impressive number plate geekery and that's just his hobby as he's a music scholar by profession.

I got my copies directly from the author - he approached me at Rustival as he rightly thought I looked like the sort of enthusiast who would be interested in such a work. Volume 1 seems to be mostly sold out online and volume 2 has only just been published and isn't available retail yet. I'll PM you his contact details.

30 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

It's just one of a selection of photos on the Guildford page showing registrations issued by that authority. No particular significance and no caption detailing when and where it was taken. I guess it's just a car he stumbled across on his travels and decided to take a photo of. This volume starts from the October 74 changes and the preface goes into great detail about what happened then - it really is some impressive number plate geekery and that's just his hobby as he's a music scholar by profession.

I got my copies directly from the author - he approached me at Rustival as he rightly thought I looked like the sort of enthusiast who would be interested in such a work. Volume 1 seems to be mostly sold out online and volume 2 has only just been published and isn't available retail yet. I'll PM you his contact details.

interesting, I wonder if the books might finally explain a few of the oddities I have stumbled across in the past

like for example Essex issued a couple series out of alphabetical order

On 07/09/2020 at 02:32, LightBulbFun said:

did some more bashing, pretty sure YWC900F-YWC999F and AHK101F-AHK200F are blocks, however nothing shows up so i cant say for certain (but its a 100 car gap and it fits the pattern of how frequently Invacar blocks show up)

did find the very last F reg Invacar block tho :) BOO601F-BOO700F, (on a non invacar related note the next registration series issued after BOO-F by Essex was AVX-G, yes for some reason it went AVW-F then BOO-F then AVX-G and so in alphabetical order again, quite curious as to why BOO was issued out of order, clerical error perhaps?)

screencapture-vehicleenquiry-service-gov-uk-VehicleFound-2020-09-07-02_14_56.thumb.png.25e33af7f89d5b2c84ae165f7c4d85e0.png

On 02/01/2020 at 14:15, LightBulbFun said:

then heres where things get proper weird!

after Txx-E comes Uxx-E alphabeticly right?

yet for some weird reason Uxx-E for the essex area was issued BEFORE Txx-E

im not sure why, but its properly weird, and I was about to write off the entire Uxx-E reg ranges because it would mess up the Invacar blocks alphabetically

but low and behold I found the UNO-E block, and one does show up (by the skin of its teeth seeing as the block is UNO301E-UNO400E) and just like the Uxx-E reg series it was registered February 1967!

where as THK195E which was issued alphabetically before it was registered later, at least UNO399E's chassis number looks to be accurate I THINK so I can use it as another jumping off point

thank you for the PM ill have to see about getting the 2 volumes ordered :) 

51 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Could you please PM me his details too ?
Many thanks

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Dez,  this came up in a Bus Facebook page I follow but as it has details of a London location I thought you might like to see it.

FB_IMG_1710799269534.jpg

thats cool! not seen that one before, I appreciate the heads up :) 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2569675313253986/posts/3755599047994934/

430484651_1512998205929620_4483098321086163608_n.jpg.a36ac29770c9fb25386a38315eb8f873.jpg

somewhere in this thread or maybe the youtube thread, is a video of the last day of RT buses in regular London Service (which was Route 62, 1979) and you can spot a Model 70 in the background in one of the scenes in that video :) 

I know @Remspoor commented on it because his dad was involved IIRC and there was a curious scale model of a B type bus or something along those line as well