LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

2 minutes ago, overrun said:

I’m sure you have considered this, but if you get nervous in a modern car with enough torque for regular driving, you will be bricking it in a Model 70.

im not sure how much torque a 1.2L Pug 208 makes but I can tell you it aint much!

and Model 70's are known for being surprisingly quick off the line, (and just surprisingly quick in general!) so I don't think it will be too much an issue :) 

1 minute ago, LightBulbFun said:

im not sure how much torque a 1.2L Pug 208 makes but I can tell you it aint much!

and Model 70's are known for being surprisingly quick off the line, (and just surprisingly quick in general!) so I don't think it will be too much an issue :) 

r/uhighbro

13 minutes ago, overrun said:

r/uhighbro

23 minutes ago, overrun said:

as it will be slower than the rest of the traffic to pull away etc, not to mention your own nerves.

You will soon get used to the sound of irate horns! :-)

may I point you to the 10 minute mark :) 

(and also just the video in general, I wont be the first person to drive Model 70 through modern day London!)

1 hour ago, keef said:

Looks like Wingz123 has it covered as I really don't fancy towing an unknown (safety-wise) trailer to Norfolk, which I presume is where this FoD is?

cool thats perfectly reasonable by me :) (the FoD is not up in Norfolk, unless the space time continuum has had a wobble! in which case @wuvvum is probably scratching his head as to why 2 Model 70's and a boat have suddenly appeared in his back yard or something!)

with collection/storage stuff secured/sorted I have lobbed a bid on it :)

image.png.274e3bb2968671e7a2532a33acfee2f9.png

(was contemplating waiting a bit later/bidding at the last second or so, but I was worried someone else might see it has no bids and bid for a laugh/punt, so to avoid risking that (or me forgetting to bid) I just lobbed a bid on it now, to hopefully put off anyone else bidding! LOL)

7 minutes ago, keef said:

Did you see the latest daft reply from DVLA on the NTfORU FoI submission? Unbelievable!

ah yeah!, I may have to file my own FOI and see if I can get anywhere with them!

I am known somewhat for being able to get through to people/places that are known for being difficult to communicate with or get ahold of :) 

(see for example pretty much everyone in the Invacar "scene" thats not on this forum LOL)

1 minute ago, keef said:

Perhaps it's just me? :(

nah not saying that!

just saying that I might have a bash at them and see how far I can get! :)

ill once more refer to the excellent description of the DVLA by @HarmonicCheeseburger

On 3/6/2019 at 7:07 PM, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

With the DVLA imagine a mixture of the Benny hill song, DellBoy, and ChuckleBrothers, and you are getting close. 

4 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

ohh @keef it has an update!

I wonder if its been elevated to a different department maybe someone who knows what they are doing!

(as their response does not make much sense otherwise, its something id expect to see at the start of a FOI request not in the middle of one!)

Who knows? I think it just one of their standard letters/responses.

Do DVLA ever "make sense"? ;)

3 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

(was contemplating waiting a bit later/bidding at the last second or so, but I was worried someone else might see it has no bids and bid for a laugh/punt, so to avoid risking that (or me forgetting to bid) I just lobbed a bid on it now, to hopefully put off anyone else bidding! LOL)

I was wondering who had bid as it's on my watch list. I'm not going to gazump you.

this is interesting, came across PPL787 a Stanley Argson Model 44, when running Model 44 chassis numbers through my tool

the interesting thing about it, is it "acts" exactly like JNJ135L does

it shows up in 3rd party tools, shows up in the MOT checker, but WONT show up in the main DVLA/tax checker 

image.thumb.png.9894b472665ae4df3d24807238f59424.png

and like JNJ135L it does not have a CoD, that would normally cause such a situation...

image.thumb.png.8a65881683d376e6789f75d821c4b2d7.png

I really do wonder why these 2 vehicles wont show up on the DVLA checker themselves, and what would you do as an owner of one! (I guess call the DVLA about it?)

its interesting to note that when I try and check the Tax status of both with my 3rd party I get a null result, I wonder if somehow the taxation status for these 2 vehicles has been corrupted or went missing

and as such the DVLA checker for some reason cant handle this and refuses to show the vehicle?  it is worth noting that for CoD issued vehicles the taxation info also returns null on 3rd party tools

(little bit frustrating too, as PPL787 has a some slight oddities about its info, that make me curious for its tax due date)

12 minutes ago, keef said:

Yeah as i said in my post, shows up on 3rd party sites, and the MOT checker, but wont show up on the DVLA checker for some strange reason

I also have had the odd vehicle that wont show up on either the DVLA checker or the MOT checker, but still show up in 3rd party tools, I know of a couple AC Model 64's like this

GPA627J (this one has a data integrity warning on my special tool, like when I run a registration number thats on retention and it brings up the last vehicle that number was on)

EPD674J (but this one does not have a data integrity warning)

again I wonder why these 2 flat out wont show up, apart from 3rd party tools 

(not to mention every single Northern ireland Model 70, apart from LOI6831, but I suspect those are a different ball game)

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Yeah as i said in my post, shows up on 3rd party sites, and the MOT checker, but wont show up on the DVLA checker for some strange reasonI

This suggests the other sites don't use the main DVLA database, which I don't understand. Maybe DVLA's website goes through some filters?

14 minutes ago, keef said:

This suggests the other sites don't use the main DVLA database, which I don't understand. Maybe DVLA's website goes through some filters?

well all vehicle info does originate from the DVLA/DVSA, (although obviously 3rd party tools can cache old info, which is where the data integrity warnings come into play on my tool, when it has to reference older data to give me a result)

but yeah it seems like certain vehicles have some sort of info/flag on them that cause their own tools to reject them for some reason

not an invalid vehicle but XFR196 is another fun one, its one the DVLA checker will take, but the MOT checker refuses

had my 25th lesson today :)

pleased to say that my driving instructor said that I did very well, better then any previous lesson thats always good to hear I think! :) 

now to try and keep it up I guess LOL 

I also got given a date for my practical by the DVLA yesteday , rather amusingly, I booked it on the 25th of Jan for the 24th of Feb, and the date they gave me was the 23rd of March, (at 9:07AM!, neither me nor my instructor can do such an early time, let alone it being in late march!)

so ill have to try and shuffle it around, I hope they give me the option for a time range!

when booking my theory there was the option to choose a prefered time, but I did not see anything such when booking my practical, just a prefered date...

ill have to look into the whole cancellation thing that my instructor mentioned, I think its where you can take someone else's earlier slot if they cancel for some reason or another

it says I have got until the 18th of march to shuffle things around, so not in any rush thankfully

and also a rare vintage light bulb that @Wack very kindly gave to me arrived safely this morning intact, he did an fantastic job at packaging it :) 

165028695_ImagefromiOS(114).thumb.jpg.1b81d5ec8464cd61d21bf2eb79d708dd.jpg

400940207_ImagefromiOS(113).thumb.jpg.4400717bca6623f667eb40d8f90c2dba.jpg

153798623_ImagefromiOS(115).thumb.jpg.621c6201279cfb937b1d3b64062bd2f6.jpg

while on the surface it looks like a fairly typical old large light bulb it does have a couple rare features to differentiate it from others

main 2 things are the rare United cooperative luma branding, I dont actually know if it was made by the company themselves, or made by another lamp and branded for them under the UC/Luma name, ill have to upload pics of it to one of the lighting forums im part of and see if one of the members there know!

and the second rare feature, is that its a rough service lamp, while they tend to be a little rare in general because they did cost more etc, they where especially uncommon in wattages above 100W

notice the extra wavy filament structure over normal non rough service bulbs, this arrangement is known as a Vee-wreath filament, and in this case as a C9 Vee-Wreath, as its circular in shape and has 9 supports :) 

its also as alluded to pretty old!, if the date code is a normal ELMA datecode then its from August 1959 or 1967 :) 

and finally here is a video of it being lit for the first time in most likely over 50 years :) 

(as you can see from the current clamp and voltage meter it reads 0.6A at 250V do some quick ohms law math, 250Vx0.6A=150W, its bang on spec :) ) 

• LightBulbFun changed the title to Invacar Model 70 Acquired! and general ramble thread, index on page 1, Phase 2: finding a suitable driving school/instructor getting lessons and a licence! 25th lesson had! theory test taken!
28 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

and the second rare feature, is that its a rough service lamp, while they tend to be a little rare in general because they did cost more etc, they where especially uncommon in wattages above 100W

Glad to hear you had a good lesson. One little tip in case the last one before your test doesn't go so well is the old stage adage - shite dress rehearsal, great performance.

Rough service bulbs....back in late 70s/early80swhen I worked in a dealer parts department, these bulbs were used in the fitters' 'lead lamps' (so called cos of the cable...). I think I recall the rep saying they had tougher glass and stronger filaments, does that sound right?

Another Q for you - I noticed you gradually increased the volts on that bulb, but snapped it off. Is there a benefit of gradual decrease of voltage, or does that only really apply to much bigger stuff?

On 1/30/2020 at 1:00 PM, LightBulbFun said:

I notice there are 12 watchers - hopefully just folk on the forum!

33 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Glad to hear you had a good lesson. One little tip in case the last one before your test doesn't go so well is the old stage adage - shite dress rehearsal, great performance.

Rough service bulbs....back in late 70s/early80swhen I worked in a dealer parts department, these bulbs were used in the fitters' 'lead lamps' (so called cos of the cable...). I think I recall the rep saying they had tougher glass and stronger filaments, does that sound right?

indeed rough service lamps where mainly used in such applications, and is why you don't normally see rough service lamps above 100W, as unless your @RayMK you dont tend to use bigger then 100W lamps in those portable lights etc

(plus anything larger probably wont physically fit in a typical hand held light, ill have to dig out my 1960s GEC example of one of those at some point :) )

gives me an excuse to post this from, haynes manual, the real meanings web page http://messybeast.com/dragonqueen/real-haynes.htm  :mrgreen:

INSPECTION LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, its main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate as 105-mm howitzer shells during the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

Rough service lamps do indeed have tough filaments usually by using more filmant mounts then normal, and sometimes tweaked metallurgy of the filament to make it more resistant to shocks etc

the glass bulbs where generally the same thickness, since rough service lamps were designed to be resilient to shocks and vibrations that would otherwise break the filament of a normal lamp, rather than against something hitting the bulb itself 

33 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Another Q for you - I noticed you gradually increased the volts on that bulb, but snapped it off. Is there a benefit of gradual decrease of voltage, or does that only really apply to much bigger stuff?

I was contemplating ramping it back down slowly as well, but thats sort of "cliche", so I figured id be a bit more "dramatic" and just turn it off, and observe the afterglow of the filament  :) 

generally the switching on of a filament is more stressful for it then the turning off of it

as it warms up MUCH quicker then it does cool down when you turn it on

(notice in the video how at the end over about half a second it cools down, but when you turn a lightbulb on it turns on almost literally instantly in the order of about 0.05 seconds! for a 100W lamp)

you can read a bit more here :) http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/IN Starting.htm

1 hour ago, Wack said:

I knew it was worth posting to you, very interesting :)

glad you found it interesting, and once more thank you for sending it to me :) 

32 minutes ago, egg said:

I notice there are 12 watchers - hopefully just folk on the forum!

Hopefully! because I realise once I factor in shipping its going to end up costing me a pretty penny

so im hoping no one else bids as its already quite expensive as is!

wouldn't be autoshite if I wasn't pouring far too much money into something that probably "aint worth it"! LOL

Sorry to hijack this thread, but supplemetary question - am interested which hurts a halogen bulb most - briefly illuminating or briefly extinguishing? I ask because, getting fed up with being blinded by superbright headlamps flashing "thank you" for some time I've been quickly turning my headlamps off and back on when someone's let me past, for example. Surprisingly, I find some others following my example. But, is it a bulb-killer?

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but supplemetary question - am interested which hurts a halogen bulb most - briefly illuminating or briefly extinguishing? I ask because, getting fed up with being blinded by superbright headlamps flashing "thank you" for some time I've been quickly turning my headlamps off and back on when someone's let me past, for example. Surprisingly, I find some others following my example. But, is it a bulb-killer?

its my own thread, I ain't going to complain LOL

Halogen lamps are another ball game, because the work by using special chemical compounds to take evaporated tungsten thats landed on the bulb wall, and redeposit it back onto the filament

notice how a halogen lamp compared to a normal light bulb does not blacken through life or if it does its to a much lesser degree

the blackening on a normal bulb as seen in @maxxo's picture here, is caused by evaporated tungsten from the filament depositing itself onto the glass bulb over time, eventually more and more metal evaporates from the filament till it gets too thin and hot spots in those thin sections and the filament fails from those hot spots meling or just mechanical failure from being so fragile 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:33 PM, maxxo said:

I have one very similar, god knows how old it is

20200126_170334.jpg

( @maxxo's picture also a good comparison of a normal single coiled filament and rough service single coiled filament as pictured in my lamp, and you can also see how the filament in the picture has a somewhat sparkly surface finish due to crystallization of the filament metal, this is an indication of a well used filmant reaching the end of its life ) 

now this cycle of tungsten evaporating from the filament and being deposited back onto the filament is called the halogen cycle

but it relies on the glass bulb and the filmant being the at right temperature, if one of these is wrong, then it can mess up the halogen cycle and cause premature failure 

its one of the reasons why you do not touch a halogen bulb with your bare fingers as the oils left behind from your skin, can at the high operating temperature of most halogen lamps cause devitrification of the bulb, and also carbonise and form hot spots on the bulb messing up the halogen cycle

so I would personally say, that briefly illuminating a halogen lamp does more damage to it then briefly extinguishing,

but you would only really see an effect if all you did was use your head lamps to flash to pass, and never used them longer than a couple seconds, then you would see the lamps fail prematurely as they would never get up to temperature 

but as most people only flash to pass every now and then, and do use their head lamps at night (I hope!) it wont make a noticable difference id imagine

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily :) 

6 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

so I would personally say, that briefly illuminating a halogen lamp does more damage to it then briefly extinguishing,

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily :) 

Your reasoning and explanations remind me of the Physics teacher at school who was inspirational. Yes, that was my (rather more unfounded) reasoning as well, plus the reduction in blindness benefit! This could be a result of older eyes being more easily dazzled, might need an eyetest soon. In daylight, I'll use my hand to thank but sometimes a flash (oo er) is needed to get some idiot quickly and safely out of the way.

On 1/30/2020 at 12:03 AM, LightBulbFun said:

may I point you to the 10 minute mark :) 

(and also just the video in general, I wont be the first person to drive Model 70 through modern day London!)

I'm aware DW drives his about. I'm also aware of this;

In a drag race with the aforementioned Pug, I know where my money would be. 

I suggest you dial back your Model S baiting aspirations a tad. :-)