LightBulbFun's Invacar & general ramble thread, index on page 1, survivors lists on Pages 24/134 & AdgeCutler's Invacar Mk12 Restoration from Page 186 onwards, still harping on...

LightBulbFun

20 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Ya wont be laughing when I strap you mad max style to the front of REV and pull an 82Mph J turn :mrgreen:

You picked the shittest Mad Max. I'll just handcuff you to the running gear of the overturned wreck, as the shattered headlamp bowl slowly fills with fuel, near the ignition source I have created. No hacksaw included.

Merry Xmas, mate. :-)

pleased to say I have booked my theory test in! took full mock theory/hazard perception test and It went well enough that I decided its time to book the real thing! (and also esp as I feel like the practical test is going to come up soon hopefully with how the lessons are progressing :) )

its scheduled for the 21st of Jan which is a bit far away, I was hoping to take it a bit sooner then that but the only other option was on the 6 or the 9th of Jan (cant quite recall which) at 9AM, and, considering I pass out at 1AM on a good day, I was not going to book it that early in the day!

I want to make sure Im well rested etc, so I booked one for the afternoon at 3PM, but the earliest they could do that was the 21st sadly

at least I can tell my instructor when he gets back from christmas break that I have booked it :) 

and heres a late christmas bonus Invacar Model 70 street scene picture I dug up yesterday :) most curiously OVW430P does not show up on the DVLA checker, but here we have definite proof it existed!

EEAReCGXsAAdd9g.thumb.jpeg.84005ed16e55649c9292a07a769a13f0.jpeg

I think the picture is from the 1970's so it would of been pretty new, OVW430P being from July 1976, but must not have lasted very long sadly or such to still not show up on the DVLA checker

(it would only have had to make it to the early 1980s to still show up)

"so your looking for a morris minor then? How about https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143483742232 "

image.thumb.png.412c88610e72fbb9352af2a113d08c6e.png

it is however (currently as of typing this) in budget!, would be a silly idea, I think! I figured this old would require you to decoke the engine every 500 miles or something such and be a bit high maintenance for dailying in London!

I still sent mum the Link just the LOLs :mrgreen: (the lack of speed wont be an issue, because London traffic never goes fast then 4* mph anyway LOL)

1040052601_s-l1600(16).thumb.jpg.965a0d9545997fcd378a72952e6bc8a9.jpg

amusingly unlike pretty much every other Minor I have looked at, the seller does provide pictures of the underside!

side note this has been on the ebay tat thread before so I wonder why its back up for sale! (and sold for way out of budget, so I assume it will end up selling for a similar amount) also for those curious as I mentioned when it first showed up for sale its actually on an age related plate, YYJ375 was originally ALG59

On 11/16/2019 at 3:27 AM, MarvinsMom said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1932-Morris-Minor-pram-iron-Coupe-very-rare-car-runs-and-drives-oily-rag/123972520391?hash=item1cdd5689c7:g:ovQAAOSwSeVdyfa9

a morris minor, so what?

well this isn't the minor you were expecting.

plus those landau irons look just right on this car.

s-l1600.jpg

7 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I’m quite surprised that you are only now doing your theory test, as I thought that the theory would have been needed to begin your practical lessons.

When I got my license I had to pass my theory test first in order to receive my logbook and begin driving.

oh the way it works here, is you apply for your provisional licence, online these days

once you get that, you can drive a car as long as you have someone who has held a full licence for 3 or more years with you in the car, and you display L plates (and you cant use motorways, unless your in a car with dual controls)

you dont need to have had any tests or such done to start driving

then when you decide to take your driving test to get a full car licence, you do the Theory/hazard perception test first then once you get a theory test pass certificate, (which is good for up to 2 years) then you can take the practical test :) (if you wait longer then 2 years, then you have to take the theory test again)

(its worth noting theres no minimum amount of lessons you have to have had, before you take your test either, but obviously its recommended that you do take some lessons!)

6 hours ago, loserone said:

Theory is an afterthought here, so some instructors advise to do it only when you're nearly read for a test (because they only last a fixed time, probably two years, and presumably lots of people spend longer than that learning)

Aye, 

I decided while I could of probably taken my theory test much sooner, I was in no rush to do it, as I only need to have it done once I know the practical test was nearing

so I had decided to take my time with it, much less stress etc I could revise at my own pace etc :)

now I feel like things are drawing near and I feel like I have revised/study enough, I decided to book it :)

I hadn’t realised how different the process to obtain a drivers license is in the UK, it sounds to me much easier.

For me, in New South Wales, you begin with the Driver Knowledge Test (theory test) which you need to pass to receive your learners licence.

The learners licence is to be held for minimum 1 year maximum 5 years in which time a logbook is to be kept and a minimum 120 hours driving record (20 of which need to be conducted at night). It should be noted that every hour spent with a driving instructor is worth 3 in the logbook. When the minimum logbook hours and at least 1 year has passed you can sit the hazard perception test (theory) and the drivers test (practical). If these are passed you proceed to a probationary 1 (P1) licence.

The P1 licence is held for minimum 1 year maximum 1.5 years. P1 licenses have a load of restrictions on speed, passengers, types of cars, towing etc. to reduce the distraction to the new driver. After a minimum of 1 year you progress to a P2 licence.

The P2 licence is held for a minimum of 2 years with no maximum. It is essentially the same as a P1 licence but with less restrictions, it also has a condition where if you receive any form of traffic infringement an additional 6 months is added to the minimum time you need to spend with this licence. After the minimum time has elapsed you proceed to a full unrestricted licence.

some more minor ramblings *badum tiss*

specifically about these 2/this seller, as I have noticed them floating around for a little bit now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184072373548

first up this one that has been on ebay for a while now, it was £1500 and now its suddenly £1750... if it wasn't selling at £1500 then why raise the price LOL (also the reg comes back as a 1938 ford...)

image.thumb.png.4d78f0c16dc4d0bf28491a9541891ce7.png

then the same seller has this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184095336888

which the seller says runs, but he refuses to start the engine for some reason, which does not instill confidence also says its not rotten, but those door bottoms/outer sills look suspiciously crusty, but im not an expert on Minors... (but Im pretty sure the air filter assembly is entirely missing)

image.thumb.png.714df69e61fa0ab69db69aebfbcc8023.png

side note tho, April 1971, must of been one of the last Minors? (checking the internets shows that Saloon production ended in November 1970, so must have sat around a little while, I wonder when it was actually made...)

I dont think either one of these are suitable for us, (unless someone who knows better says otherwise!) and even if one was id much rather have gone for the example @egg tagged me in as that looked to be a much better example for the money (although sadly that sold, so its a bit of a moot point now, I think I caught mum a bit off guard with just how quickly id be producing results or examples for her to look at it!)

and the seller sounds a bit "shady" if thats the right word? with the fact he says he wont start the engine of the second one despite claiming it runs fine, and the first one coming back as a 1938 Ford...

The piston in the SU carburettor needs to be centred well and suitably dampened, then a couple of pegs' worth of choke for a cold start usually does the trick. One peg after the first quarter mile or so, then after another mile or thereabouts, no pegs needed.

Of course, if the choke control twist mechanism works properly, no pegs are needed at all! :-)

4 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

on page 67 :) (heh 67 :) ) I appreciate the heads up tho just incase I hadn't seen it  :) 

On 8/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, LightBulbFun said:

peek-a-boo!

3332694261_66d7bbdd8a_o.thumb.jpg.6e8dc6e2d6e19667f050ff6714037677.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24555083@N08/3332694261

also a new Model 70 reg block that I dont have documented for me to go through :) 

image.thumb.png.bf8b8694fe1150755a2f3bd105de1b99.png

also at 4:56, someone forgot to let the gearbox spin down!

VTW-L, will figure out where it starts and ended, and go through it for chassis numbers :) 

one of the last Model 70's on white on black plates too

which means TWC would of had white on black plates originally too, sorry! @dollywobbler

(I had seen period AC Model 70 on white on black L plates but not an invacar until now)

6 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

If a minor doesn't start within one flick of the ignition switch,there's something seriously wrong with it,so I would say it's bolloxed

I wouldn't say seriously wrong with it, always worth checking the basics of the ignition system before writing something off, something as simple as a duff condenser could mess things up, but I get what your saying :) 

but speaking of starting on the key, REV is very good at that! (once warm anyway!) I love the mechanical clunk when turning and dissanging the key :)

5 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

The piston in the SU carburettor needs to be centred well and suitably dampened, then a couple of pegs' worth of choke for a cold start usually does the trick. One peg after the first quarter mile or so, then after another mile or thereabouts, no pegs needed.

Of course, if the choke control twist mechanism works properly, no pegs are needed at all! :-)

haha :)  the clothes peg is something I have been meaning to ask my mum about, im curious if she had to use one on her mini or not!

(I think she would have mentioned it by now if she did, but who knows!)

I do wonder what happened to her mini, she said in the end she sold it to an enthusiast so it might still be out there! sadly she does not remember its registration

one of these days I might ask her to call the DVLA and see if we can get any info from them about it

I quite like the blue one as a project, but perhaps at about 1/2 of the advertised price and thats assuming there is nothing seriously wrong with the engine.

The wings look good and, if they're a decent make and fit, then they're worth a few quid. Shame no piping was put around the rear wings and that the rust on the body around where the wings mount wasn't cleaned up, otherwise it looks fairly reasonable in terms of bodywork. Bit of rust above and below the rear screen would need looking at to check it was nothing serious. Plus the obligatory thorough inspection underneath. Looks like it has the wider van wheels fitted.

You're quite right LBF, the air filter is missing. As is the radiator top hose. Plus the heater hose(s) and bottom hose arrangements have been modified.

No MOTs on record. Could be an abandoned project but who knows.

All imho, ymmv etc etc.

I appreciate the thoughts on it, even tho I did not specifically ask as im trying to save my "whats your thoughts on this" "points" for when one I think is viable pops up if that makes any sense, but I don't mind volunteered thoughts! :) as its always good to hear what's what gives some idea what to look out for etc and thats much appreciated :) 

speaking of marginal minors, I could swear this was up for sale before somewhere else? I remember the description/number plate(s) but i'm almost certain it was not on car and classic, or maybe it was and its just been relisted and im just not remembering correctly...

the MOT history does not instill confidence, (especially the heavily coated in underseal bit!) but does not look too bad otherwise, if it was like £1500 or less? id might of sent it to my mum for her to look at, as it stands I think its a little pricey, one to keep an eye on me thinks

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1148632

image.thumb.png.882cda4324fc0f85fb710aa7812d6bbb.png

the talk of starting morris minors reminds when I was talking to mum about that 1930s one I showed her for the amusement factor, she was talking how something like that you would start using a starting handle

and I told her you know you can start a 1940s-1970s Morris minor that way too! (at least im pretty sure you can going by the starting handle shaped hole in the front bumper!) she was not quite expecting that, but found it quite amusing

I also let her know you can even start (some) Model 70's with a starting handle if you so wish although sadly I have not seen someone try! 

sadly REV lacks a starting dog on her engine, but I know TWC725K TPA621M and OPH868R all have starting dogs still, so im hoping some day we will get to see one of those started by hand :) 

its interesting on Model 70's how some do and dont have starting dogs, one of those little things Im still trying to figure out, IIRC OPH868R has a later engine number then REV, but ATW722L's engine lacks one and that's an early engine with the cartridge type oil filter)

20170618_143847_resized.thumb.jpg.0c61b21e7bc461722b5f5dd8dd110c2c.jpg

ATW722L above TPA621M below (although KPL139P's engine!) it is worth nothing that I think you have to remove the nut/starter dog to replace the fan/dynastater belts, so it could easily be that Model 70's did stop getting starter dogs after a certain date, and that simply during servicing some older Model 70's lost them, while later Model 70's gained them

much like with how Routemasters ended up with a miss mash of different age/style front end bits over time

Image from iOS (19).jpg

and REV's engine bay for good measure :) 

image.png

1 minute ago, plasticvandan said:

Mmm,rotten and patched for the last 15 years,gone round the clock,rings gone,and just knackered the gearbox.pass.

ah thats a good point to note, that these only have 100K odometers so what may seem like low milage may actually be the exact opposite!

granted even if something has not gone round the clock as very clearly demonstrated by @egg's Mk12 and most other surviving villiers machines sadly, just because it has low milage does not mean its going to be in good shape!

eggs Mk12 only has 18221 miles on the clock IIRC (well if thats gone round the clock then whoever the previous user was I salute you!)

2 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

No,but a minor on its original engine with 108k on the clock is in need of a rebuild.

listing does say its had an engine rebuild in 2012 for what thats worth

(assuming thats even true!)

and yeah checking the MOT history defo gone round the clock!

54 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Saw this today and thought the reg seemed familiar for some reason. Not an invalid carriage or even remotely like one but GPG706K was registered just before the batch containing the oldest surviving Model 70 GPG721K.

GPG706K.thumb.jpg.1d3371db9105d9b9c622852ec39b2212.jpg

Nice spot :) 

"not an invalid carriage or even remotely like one"

UPB421M begs to differ! (ok its an AC Model 70, but im still wondering how it ended up "labeled" as a Jensen!)

image.png.03a0fac386c2b85fe22c59f0b42ad770.png

and continuing your theme

I noticed a while back that at the NEC Classic car show that featured "ALB761A" also featured this Jensen, BPE730H, which I thought was very fitting, as not only is that the same reg series that contains the user trial Model 70's there's also a Model 67 block in the BPE-H series (BPE501H-BPE700H) so for all we know "ALB761A" could well be a BPE-H car :) 

https://flic.kr/p/2hJMhtW

49054529148_c53e828984_h.thumb.jpg.1f2845f575f2b00221964521f003d896.jpg

1 minute ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Sorry if this has already been answered but why were invalid carriages all painted blue? 

well not all where blue!

the Barrett Midget was green :) 

IMG_2513.JPG

but otherwise im not 100% sure why they standardised on blue etc, I imagine the reason they were all 1 colour at least (for the most part!) was it kept things simple, as a garage you only needed 1 type of paint etc

as for why the particular shade of blue etc, im not sure! although I believe the first Model to feature it was the Tippen Delta 2

and supposedly in the late 1960s the DHSS blue, got a bit of a tweak to be more blue in colour

(you can see @egg's Mk12 is definitely a bit more green then most Model 70's etc)

although im still trying to verify this and other colour related things, it does not help, that after 40-50 years things will either be altered by the elements, or have been painted over a multitude of times, with various different shades of blue!

its one of the things I hope to investigate with GPG721K, as I hope to go see GPG721K in person at some point!

as GPG721K left service in 1978-1980 or so, so would've only been 9 years old or so, so I dont think in service t it would of been repainted or had a chance to sufficiently degrade, but the question is, did the museum or such paint it any time?